Epilogue

Special

“Shh baby, you’re special.” That was what Taehyung’s mother would say every single time, hugging his head close to her chest and smoothing her other hand down his back as he sobbed uncontrollably. His cries mixed with her soft humming never failed to calm him down before he drifted off to sleep.

Taehyung was only 7 years old then when his parents found out about his special ability.

“Papa, why don’t you love mama anymore?” The then Taehyung was tugging the hem of his father’s shirt while he looked up at him with bright, round and curious eyes. Everyone around the table widened their eyes in shock and turned their attention immediately towards the 48-inch little boy who ran towards the table while he was halfway playing castle with his other little cousins. Because why would a 7-year-old young kid suddenly come up with such a baffling and nonsensical question?

A clank was heard when the fork held by his father fell instantaneously as it came into contact with the polished ceramic plate in front of him. “T-Taehyung-ah what are you saying?” Taehyung’s father gave an awkward chuckle and patted his son’s head, saying something along the lines of “little kids don’t know what they’re saying” to lighten up the atmosphere but to no avail.

“But you were thinking about another pretty noona. And you said you’d rather be with her right now.” Taehyung blinked before running towards his mother who turned her head away, clearly hurt and embarrassed. All the other adults let out a gasp almost simultaneously before they excused themselves, whispers evident and something in their gazes changed. Something like pity? Taehyung wasn’t sure. He cowered behind his mother. The atmosphere suddenly became so thick, one could literally cut it with a knife.

Taehyung’s father rushed out of the house afterwards with his baggage in tow, abandoning both Taehyung and his mother for that pretty noona. But before he left, he thought of a single word that scarred Taehyung for life.

“Monster.”

Monster. That’s what he was. Or at least what Taehyung liked to think he was. He wasn’t special like his mother described him to be. Everyone around him in school avoided him like a plague. He was 18 now and taller. Everything around him changed, except for the fact that he was still stuck with a monstrous ability.

“Don’t look into his eyes. He will bewitch you.”

“God, I can’t even feel safe here knowing there’s someone reading my mind.”

“I wish someone would just get rid of him.”

“Such a monster.”

“Leave him alone.”

People never knew what they were saying. Most of the stuff people said about Taehyung was so nonsensical he wanted to laugh. There was once someone said he was a divine being that ascended from heaven to keep them all in check. He almost burst out laughing there and then. If what that person said was true, he sure was doing a good job making them shun him instead. What everyone didn’t know was that Taehyung had to establish a relationship with the other party first- be it schoolmates, friends, family or lovers- and look into their eyes just to even read their mind. The closer they were, the easier it was for him to read. But he would never do such a thing unless he had their consent. Though it was a different story before he managed to gain control of his own power. Another thing was that 90% of the time, people’s thoughts are what they truly feel. And Taehyung believed it wasn’t a good thing. Not when his dad called him a monster without a single hint of affection. He wasn’t lying.

It was after school that day when Taehyung passed by the school’s basketball court. The sound of a ball dribbling could be heard, followed by the rattling of the basketball hoop. Curious, Taehyung peered in between the gaps of the door. Someone was practicing. Taehyung stood there for a while more, observing the other party who threw the balls into the hoop as if it was a breeze. Just when Taehyung was about to turn around and leave, he witnessed something incredible. Magical even. The said male threw the ball towards the hoop as he turned his back on the ball and stalked towards the bench for water. Normally, anyone who saw it would know the ball wouldn’t make it. The direction it was going in was more towards the door. But then the male lifted his arm and twisted his wrist slightly, changing the ball’s direction along with it. Taehyung’s eyes widened. The guy was different, just like him. Unknowingly, Taehyung pushed the door opened as his legs carried him into the basketball court, immediately gaining the attention of the mysterious basketballer.

“Um, who are you?” The latter looked at Taehyung, almost glaring at the intruder. Taehyung noticed sweat was dripping down his neck as he took this opportunity to dab his own face with a towel. He was built, but not too much, and his skin was paler than most people which was strange because he played basketball. Unless, of course, he always plays indoors.

“Uhm, well. I saw what you did. Y’know with the whole,” Taehyung pointed his index finger up into the air and drew circles. The basketballer’s eyes widened in shock, knowing that his secret has been exposed. “Don’t worry, though. I won’t say a thing about it! Promise!” Taehyung quickly intervened before the latter could speak up. The basketballer let out a deep sigh before asking “What’s your name?”

“Kim Taehyung.” Taehyung knew he should be rushing home right now. His mother was waiting for him, probably starting to get worried. However, he was intrigued by the other male and the thought of his mother waiting at home was at the far back of his mind right now. He had never seen another person with super abilities too. And he had to admit, he was glad he wasn’t alone anymore.

Turns out, the said basketballer, whose name was Min Yoongi, could control the air. Taehyung thought he was smart. Yoongi could make full use of his super ability in the basketball team and no one would notice. Not if they caught on as fast as Taehyung did. Yoongi, on the other hand, was also surprised because of Taehyung. He did hear others talking about someone who could read minds in school but paid no attention to it. Thought it was just a silly rumor.

“So… You can read my mind? Right now?” Yoongi asked, slightly intimidated. Taehyung nodded unsurely. “I can try!”

“No, No. Please don’t.” Yoongi shook his head and waved both his hands in front of him, emphasizing his point. Taehyung let out a loud laugh and assured Yoongi he wouldn’t do that without permission. Taehyung’s never felt like this before. He felt happy knowing there was someone out there who didn’t avoid him. Someone who he could confide in other than his mom. Someone who was just like him.

 

“Yoongi?” Taehyung turned to look at him just as they were both walking down the pavement, out of school. It became a habit for the both of them to walk home together after Yoongi’s practice in the evening on Fridays. And Taehyung would wait for him on the bench, as he watched his friend practice. Were they friends now? Taehyung would ask himself sometimes.

“Why are you always practicing alone?” Taehyung asked once as he looked around the wide empty court. “You’re not like me. You’re popular.” It almost came out as a whisper at the end.

“Because I chased them all out. Too distracting.” Yoongi panted as he shot another dunk.

“What about me then?” Taehyung looked genuinely curious. Yoongi walked towards him and rested his sweaty hand on Taehyung’s head before taking his bottle and gulping down the rest of his water. “I don’t know.” Yoongi paused to think for a while. “You’re not as noisy.” Taehyung wasn’t sure why but it made his heart swell. In that moment, he felt special.

“Hmm?” Yoongi was still dribbling his ball beside Taehyung, his eyebrows furrowed in concentration.

“Are you sure you should be hanging out with me?” Taehyung sighed with his head hanging down. “They will talk.”

“Who?” Yoongi still didn’t seem to pay much attention before he tossed the ball lightly to hit Taehyung’s head. “Why are you thinking so much?”

“I’m a monster.” Taehyung’s voice cracked a little at the last word.

“Who says?” Yoongi hugged his ball tightly in an arm and stood in front of Taehyung, halting him in his steps. “Hey, look up.” Yoongi proceeded to tilt Taehyung’s head up by the chin. Yoongi wasn’t that much shorter than Taehyung, Taehyung noticed.

“Everyone.” Taehyung’s voice quivered. He was about to cry but he had to hold it in. He couldn’t cry in front of Yoongi. That would make him both a cry baby and a monster and Yoongi would most definitely leave him if he saw.

“That’s not true. I’m not them.” Yoongi answered as his gaze softened. “I will always be your friend. Trust me.”

 

Of course, people slowly started talking. “Hey, did you know Yoongi and Taehyung are friends now?” Taehyung avoided their cold stares as he walked down the school’s hallway. “He must have done that to Yoongi.” “Some mind controlling like the freak he is.” “Poor Yoongi.”

“Hey, Hey! Enough now! Taehyung is my friend. I won’t condone any of you bad mouthing him.” Yoongi’s voiced suddenly sounded down the hallway. Yoongi was Taehyung’s hero and Taehyung felt a surge of admiration- maybe something even stronger- towards Yoongi right then. However, Taehyung quickly hurried away towards his classroom, afraid of implicating Yoongi any further. It was one thing if Yoongi wanted to befriend Taehyung but if Taehyung caused him to lose his status in the school then Taehyung would rather not have anything to do with him. Luckily, most of Yoongi’s friends stayed. Taehyung knew a few of his friends: Namjoon, Jimin, Jungkook, Hoseok and Seokjin. They would always hang around Yoongi during lunchtime and they were all handsome, which explains their popularity. Yoongi sometimes mentioned them in their conversations and spoke about them fondly. Taehyung made a mental note to remember their names.

 

“Hey. Have you been avoiding me?” Yoongi’s voice came out of nowhere, stern. Taehyung remained silent, grabbing his books out of the locker. He has indeed been avoiding Yoongi for the past week.

“I’m ing talking to you.” Yoongi was angry now and an angry Yoongi isn’t something anyone would want to see. With just a snap of his finger, a strong gust of wind blew and slammed Taehyung’s locker close, startling Taehyung. Great. All Taehyung had was mind reading abilities. How useful.

“I’ve been busy.” Taehyung lied as he avoided eye contact with the latter, gripping onto his bag strap tightly.

“Really? Are we gonna use the same old “I’ve been busy” excuse right now?” Yoongi rolled his eyes.

“You should stay away from me.” Taehyung had his head hung down again. Yoongi hated this habit of his.

“How the is Yoongi friends with a freak like you?” A girl with pigtails came up to Taehyung and shoved his lunch away. Taehyung liked to eat alone outside the cafeteria and he found a special spot which allowed him to glance at his friend laughing away happily inside. He also liked the fact that no one bothered about him. Not until now.

Upon closer inspection, the girl that came up to him had so much makeup on her face that it made her look hideous. Was that even possible? Taehyung stared into her eyes. Just this once, he would break his own rules. He searched her mind and immediately paled. She loved Yoongi, which was obvious. But she was going to confess to Yoongi after school.

“Are you going to confess to him later?” Taehyung asked timidly.

The girl looked taken aback for a moment before she smirked. “What’s it got to do with you? I’m sure he’d rather hang out with me than a-” She eyed Taehyung up and down before making a face of disgust. “Freak like you.” It was then that Taehyung realized he loved Yoongi. Not as a friend, but as a potential love partner.

Needless to say, Taehyung ran back home after school that day and cried his heart out. If only he wasn’t a freak, Yoongi would’ve loved him back. He would’ve had a chance at least.

“Oh baby.” Taehyung’s mom came into his room and wiped away his tears, hugging him close.

“M-Mom? Will I ever be normal?”

“I don’t see what’s wrong with you being special. Someone, someday will see how special you are and never let you go.”

“Look,” Yoongi ran a hand through his hair in annoyance. “I won’t know what’s going on if you don’t tell me. I can’t read minds like you do.”

“Don’t you have a girlfriend already?” Taehyung sniffled as tears pricked his eyes.

“No I don’t. But I do have someone very very important to me right now and I don’t want to lose them.” Yoongi cupped Taehyung’s cheeks and made him look up, right into his eyes. “I don’t know if this is the right time to say this- but I want you to read my mind right now.”

“W-What?” Taehyung blinked repeatedly, unable to process what Yoongi just said. “A-Are you sure?”

“Very.”

“O-Okay.” Taehyung took a deep breath to calm himself down before staring into Yoongi’s dark orbs. He swore he could drown in those eyes which he would be more than happy to. Those eyes he wished to only look at him and no one else.

 

 

‘I love you, Kim Taehyung.’

 


Oh gosh. This is like the longest story I've ever written even though it's still short. I hope you guys liked it even though there wasn't a lot of mention about the super abilities. Tell me what you think in the comments below! And be sure to follow me on twitter @conversuga where I fangirl about taegi too. I don't bite. ^^