Youth

Wendy Anthology

It’s just the two of them. They’re in a world of their own.The windows are the tinted and the driver does not look back. They’re face to face and Yerim leans a little too forward, mouth a little too eager. There’s anticipation in the air and Seungwan cannot breathe. 

Yerim is smiling at her again. With hope in her eyes and something a little more than admiration in her heart. She carries herself like she’s invincible. Her shoulders are proud and her head is high and Seungwan wonders how long it will last.

Because Yerim is young and youth is foolish. She thinks that nothing in this world can bring her down, but Seungwan knows better. She’s seen legends fall and stars fade. She knows that youth is not invincible; no matter how much it wants to be.

Yerim slips out of her own seat and slides next to her. She sidles close and presses even closer. She looks younger than she is in the dim lighting. An adult but still a child. The light in her eyes is hopeful, the light in her eyes is naive and Seungwan hates the way she can see exactly how bright it burns.

Small hands sweep up her shoulders to cradle her jaw and when gentle thumbs start tracing circles against her her cheek, Seungwan feels the ache of regret settle in her bones. She should have known better than to let it get this far. Yerim doesn’t know better but she does. She knew and still she let Yerim get this close.

Youth is fire and youth is rage and it burns with an intensity that Seungwan cannot hope to meet. 

Yerim’s nose brushes against hers, Yerim tilts her head just the slightest bit and Seungwan is consumed by flame.