ignite our bones

Wendy Anthology

The moon is high and bright. Its silver reflection ripples across the surface of the lake and as she breathes in the cool night air, Joohyun feels tranquility settle over her like a favourite blanket.

There’s soft steps and then Seungwan crouches next to her. She’s holding a stack of branches and she feeds them into the fire one by one.  

Joohyun stares. The firelight paints Seungwan in glorious shades of black and gold. She thinks Seungwan has never looked more beautiful. And Joohyun hates herself in that moment, because all she wants to do is kiss her, and all she can do is stare.

“I’m sorry.”

Joohyun blinks. She doesn’t know why Seungwan is apologising.

“What for?”

“I’m sorry we didn’t get to see the fireflies tonight. I know you really wanted to. I dragged you all the way here for nothing...”

Seungwan slumps over and starts to poke at the campfire with a long, thin stick. Joohyun watches it catch fire, watches it slowly eat away at the wood and creep upwards. When it gets too close to slender fingers, she pries it from Seungwan’s hand.

“It’s not for nothing. I get spend time with you, don’t I?” She smiles and pulls Seungwan back so that they’re sitting face to face. Fireflies or no fireflies, as long as Seungwan is here, she is content.

“My town is famous for its fireflies and I’ve seen them a thousand times growing up. But I…” Seungwan trails off and leans her cheek against Joohyun’s shoulder. She looks up and Joohyun gasps because her eyes are lit with moonlight and fire. She moves closer and closer and stops when their faces are a hair's breadth apart. A soft thumb traces the seam of her lips and Joohyun leans into the fleeting touch.

“I wanted to see them with you...” It’s whispered like a confession and when Seungwan’s lips part like a promise, Joohyun seals it with a kiss.