A Little Inna Peace

You, Me, And Everything In Between
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yoongi’s not used to children; he’s not. He’s an only child, and some might even say orphaned after his father disowned him. He swallows down the sting that always accompanies that reminder and looks down, eyes falling on the little girl standing in front of him. Inna reaches his kneecaps, just barely. She’s petite with curious brown eyes, and her dark, wavy hair is falling out of the ribbons tied into the pig-tails on either side of her head. The youngster is staring up at him. A wisp of air escapes Yoongi’s lips, and the noise it makes lies somewhere between a chuckle and cough. The little girl’s expression reads-- ‘So now what?’ and Yoongi honestly has no idea what comes next. 

Inna raises a hand and brushes a stray lock of hair from her eye, squishing her lips together she lets out a small sigh before turning around and walking back to her bed. Yoongi has been in Taehyung’s house for all of twenty minutes, and he feels like a failure. 

“What ya doing, hyung?” Jimin’s asks from behind him.

“Uncle Jimbin,” Ini exclaims, and Yoongi coos inwardly at the child’s adorable mispronunciation.

“Ini-ah, hey. How’s uncle Jimin’s favorite strawberry angel?” Jimin kneels in front of the child and swipes a strand of stray hair from her forehead.

“I’m not a strawberry, Uncle Jimbin, I’m a guurl,” Ini declares, standing front of Jimin with one hand on her hip and the other clutching her blanket.

“Uncle Jimin is silly, isn’t he?” Yoongi interjects, thankful for the opening. “Of course you’re not a strawberry, silly Jimbin.” Yoongi chuckles at Jimin’s arched eyebrows and side-eye glance.

“Mmm, Uncle Jimbin is silly, right Uncle Gongi?” Ini moves to stand beside him, head turned up, looking at Yoongi with wide, questioning eyes, and yeah, it feels like a victory.

“He sure is, sweetie. Is ini hungry? Uncle Yoongi brought you strawberries.”

“Berries! Yay! Ini likes strawberries the best, see?” She holds up the strawberry blanket.

Yoongi’s smile deepens, he feels warm inside, not anxious or worried. He can’t quite explain what’s going on inside of him; all Yoongi knows for sure is that it’s the first time since being on his own that’s he’s felt like he belongs.

The little girl skips closer to him, almost tripping on her pink blanket, and on instinct Yoongi reaches out his hands to steady her. A curious thing happens when Yoongi moves toward the toddler. Inna clings to him and crawls into his arms. The child’s action stuns him into temporary immobility. Yoongi considers himself quick on his feet, a thinker able to get himself out most circumstances, but an arm full of three-year-old girl, well, he’s once again not sure what to do.

“Aww, she likes you, hyung. It took three weeks and new Ryan plushie before she’d even come near me,” Jimin informs him, and the shock evident in the man’s voice tells Yoongi it’s the truth.

“W-what do I do now?” He looks at Jimin, hoping he doesn’t look as terrified as he feels.

Jimin laughs, slapping his hand on his knee, body bent at the waist. Yoongi fails to see the humor.

“Hyung, you’re so adorable. I’m telling everyone we know that your tough guy persona is a hoax.”

“It’s not, and if there wasn’t a child in my arms I’d prove it to you,” Yoongi retorts, knowing full-well that Jimin is a thousand percent correct.

“Mmm, sure, anything you say, hyung. I suggest you get her breakfast before she falls back asleep.”

Jimin nods his head in the direction of Yoongi’s chest. He peers downward and finds the little girl with a thumb in , head resting on Yoongi’s shoulder and her free hand caressing her blanket, and yeah, Yoongi feels that same warm feeling from before.

This is how Taehyung finds them when he enters his daughter’s room several minutes later.

“Wow, I’m impressed. It took Jimin weeks to get her to even go near him,” Taehyung says off-handedly, and Yoongi chuckles at the grimace the statement elicits from Jimin. “I signed the documents you brought over, Jimin. Can we set up a meeting with the head of the Dower Group for after I return? I have some questions about their rider. I want the meeting set up before we send the paperwork back.”

Inna shifts in Yoongi’s arms, pulling him from a trance he didn't realize he’d fallen into. Taehyung’s an anomaly; the man exudes extraordinary power that is as frightening as it is alluring. However, Taehyung’s authority exists in a packaging of boxy smiles and wide innocent eyes that sparkle with mischief, and Yoongi finds himself drawn to the man like a moth to a flame, a brightly burning fire that will ultimately incinerate him.

“Looks like she’s fallen back to sleep,” Taehyung says next to his ear, causing Yoongi to jump startled, by the close proximity.

Where did he come from?  Yoongi wonders when he zoned out.

“Mmm, seems she has. Should I put her back to bed, or would you prefer I wake her up?”

“Either’s fine. Today, I’m here to observe. I gotta tell you though, I’m impressed and a little stunned by how quickly she’s taken to you. Inna is a bit of an introvert, and she usually has to get to know you before she’ll even acknowledge your presence. You, hyung, must be a toddler whisper, because in less than twenty-four hours not only has my child hugged you, but she’s asleep in your arms. I love when my instincts are correct.” Ta

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter