Cold coffees

Caramel latte and iced americano

 

A café, known for having a great ambience and for serving top class coffees and delicacies, was placed in the middle of a busy city. 

In that café, a couple were sitting by the window each have their hands wrapped around their own favorite cup of coffees. Gazing at the hot-turned-cold drink, she said, "you've turned cold."

The man who was sitting across from her looked up and stared. Eyes filled with confusion and sadness. 

"Are you talking about me or your drink?? If it's your drink then we can order a new one."

Silence ensued between them. Only the background music and the usual chatters of the other patrons filled the air. The man sighed and raised his hand as a gesture to call the attention of the waitress. "Excu..."

"It's not..." The man glanced at his companion hopefully, almost eagerly to hear the words that would spill out from the woman he used to love, wait, no, he still loves, maybe. 

"I'm not talking about... It's more than that" the unspoken words reaching his heart before he could even stop and analyze what she just said because he knew. He knew that they have prolonged the inevitable for far too long. The man sighed again as he knew what was about to happen. 

They have loved each other, sure, but it seems that that warm, almost heavenly feeling has turned into a cold familiar nothing. What used to be flattering gestures to show affection became just a routine that they were obliged to do for that is what was expected from them. 

They were called the perfect couple by the people around them and those who have met them. They thought that this couple would be the one to last, that they would be the one to revoke that particular saying of love. 

Yet, they were proven wrong, they were not aware of the petty fights the two were having almost everyday over small and simple things. It could be passed as a normal thing for couples, but the catch is, they felt more frustrated with each other whenever they are alone rather than feeling the warmth of their so-called love. They were constantly at each others throat, waiting to pounce on each other with anger. A simple mistake was all they needed to make them feel this anger and disappointment without feeling guilty. 

Truthfully, their relationship was once like a fairytale, full of love and pureness but that quickly dimmed into something horrible, almost like a frightening nightmare. No one knows when it started. When the colors of red, orange, pink and every color in between changed into a suffocating dark black color. 

No matter how many times they tried to go back to what was before, ended in a futile attempt to redeem their lost forgotten love. It seems as if fate was playing with them and they were not the people who believe in such things in the first place. 

Knowing that the time they have together was coming to an end. They impulsively said their sorry's and thank you's for all the memories they've made together. The two gazed at each other for quite some time before finally tearing their gazes from each other. Both knowing that once the other stepped out of the café that their treasured weary love will be all over with nothing but abruptness and guilt at its wake. 

Even though they tried their best until the very end. What needs to be done must be done. 

And so with a nod and a small pained smile, he decided that enough is enough. He stood up and hurriedly walked out of the café with his head down. His cold coffee long forgotten on the table where the woman he used to be with sits, smiling the same smile he gave her for the last time.