Chapter Three

The New Kid

They reach the school soon enough, too soon in Kihyun’s opinion, and Changkyun separates from the group to sit down. Minhyuk glances up from his discussion with Jooheon, watching as the new kid passes by, with a confused frown.

“Isn’t that your coat?” he asks Kihyun as the class president takes a seat. Kihyun pushes his glasses up the bridge of his nose, making a point not to look at the older. He knows Minhyuk too well, and can almost hear the suggestive light in his eyes. “Now that I think about it, that scarf looks pretty familiar, too…”

“He had it especially for Changkyunnie to use in case he didn’t have anything,” Hyungwon bluntly states as he passes the desk to go to his own seat. Minhyuk barks in laughter, clapping the now-blushing Kihyun on the shoulder.

“I’ve gotta hand it to you,” Minhyuk comments, shaking his head, “you definitely move fast. The poor kid probably isn’t even done unpacking and you’re already marking him as yours.”

“Ahjussi!” Kihyun warns, whirling around to make sure Changkyun hadn’t heard. Luckily, Jooheon had gone to the back to speak with the youngest, serving as a proper distraction. Minhyuk merely shrugs, his smirk unwavering as he turns his attention to the papers on his desk.

“By the way,” Minhyuk says, ignoring Kihyun as always, “Hyolyn-aongsaengmim said that she thinks a class field trip is a great idea. If we do enough fundraising, we can even make it a big trip to the mountains over winter break.”

“That sounds great!” Hoseok exclaims excitedly. He turns to Hyunwoo, adding, “We haven’t raced on skis in forever, Hyunwoo-ya! We should totally do it!” Hyunwoo chuckles, nodding at the younger’s words.

“Sounds fun to me,” he agrees.

“Make sure it’s a hot spring resort,” Hyungwon requests, shooting Hoseok a flirtatious glance. Hoseok immediately begins to blabber incoherently, the tips of his ears turning red. Hyungwon merely chuckles at the older’s flustered state, absolutely loving the effect he has on his boyfriend.

“That sounds heavenly,” Minhyuk sighs, “but we’re going to need to get a lot of fundraising done during the winter carnival if we want to score a nice place like that.”

“We can d-do it!” Hoseok cheers, pumping a fist into the air to emphasize his own words. The group laughs at his stuttering, shaking their heads at him.

“Maybe Changkyun-ah can help us out,” Minhyuk says thoughtfully, glancing back at the first-year. “He told Jooheonney that he raps… Maybe those two could have a rap battle, and we could charge admission.” He then perks up, his eyes lighting up like a light bulb going off in his head. “Oh! We could have Hyunwoo-ya, Hoseok-ah, and Hyungwonnie do a dance performance with that choreography Hyungwon-ah’s been working on, Kihyunnie and Changkyunnie can do a duet, and Jooheonney and Changkyunnie can have a rap battle.”

“And what’ll you be doing, hyung?” Hyungwon asks, giving the older a pointed stare. “We aren’t all your performing trick ponies, you know.”

“I’ll be collecting the money at the door,” Minhyuk chuckles with a smirk, “and I’ll join you all for a big group performance at the end.”

“Group performance?” Hyunwoo asks, eyes widening in surprise. “Minhyuk-ah, do you realize how much planning that takes? The carnival is in a month.”

“We can do it,” Minhyuk assures the older. “Hoseok is nearly done with writing a song, and—”

“Minmoongie,” Hoseok interrupts, his eyes taking on a panicked light, “you n-never said anything about us performing a song I wrote!”

“Of course we would, hyung,” Minhyuk tells him a pout, as if this was an obvious fact. “Don’t worry, Jooheonney and Changkyunnie will help you out with the rap lyrics, I’m sure.”

“Minhyuk-ah,” Kihyun intervenes, throwing a nervous glance towards Changkyun, “maybe you should ask Changkyun if he’s comfortable performing with us before you make him such a crucial part of the plan.”

“Hmm, you’re right,” Minhyuk hums. He then stands, and goes to the back of the room without another word. Kihyun sighs exasperatedly, shaking his head at one of his closest yet also most annoying friends. He hadn’t meant for the older to ask the kid right now! Kihyun turns to watch Minhyuk lean forward on Changkyun’s desk, his lips moving rapidly as he explains the idea. Changkyun’s blank stare turns shocked, his eyes growing impossibly wide. He blinks rapidly as he takes in Minhyuk’s words.

Jooheon leans back in laughter, clapping Changkyun on the back encouragingly. He says something as well, earning an oblivious look from Changkyun. Minhyuk chuckles, and leans even closer to the new kid’s face as he murmurs something that causes his cheeks to go red. Kihyun gets the strange feeling it’s about him, but can’t tell why.

Changkyun looks over at Kihyun then, as if sensing his thoughts. Kihyun tries for a smile, giving him a slight shrug. That seems to be all the encouragement the boy needs, for he soon after gives Minhyuk a nod. Minhyuk whoops victoriously, pumping his fist into the air with a leap. Jooheon claps Changkyun on the back again, quickly moving to tell Changkyun something. Changkyun nods, scribbling down the older’s words as Minhyuk turns on his heel to return to his seat.

“He’s in,” he says simply, earning incredulous looks from everyone but the one who had watched the interaction.

“You’re amazing, Minhyukkie,” Hyunwoo chuckles, shaking his head as their teacher enters the room. Conversations begin to die down, and Jooheon quickly comes to his seat. Minhyuk chuckles under his breath, swooping the papers off his desk and tapping the stack against his desk before he puts them away. He then replaces them with one of his notebooks for class. He shoots Kihyun a knowing glance, which causes the younger to squirm slightly.

Kihyun shoots another glance back at Changkyun, curious as to what Minhyuk had said to make the younger agree so quickly. Changkyun notices the stare and gives Kihyun a small smile, an expression the class president easily returns before returning his attention to the front of the room. He’ll just have to ask later, he supposes.