Chapter Two

The New Kid

Minhyuk stays back after school that day to discuss with their teacher about the field trip idea, and Jooheon stays behind so Minhyuk won't have to walk home alone. The boys invite Changkyun to join them to hang out after school, but he declines, saying he wants to get caught up as fast as he can in his classes. Kihyun doesn't even hesitate before coming up with a similar excuse to go home early. He follows Changkyun away from the others, not knowing where the boy lives but also not really caring. He's mainly just concerned with making sure the new student makes it home safely, no matter how far it is from his own.

Despite this, Kihyun is pleasantly surprised to find out Changkyun only lives a block over from his own home.

“So,” Kihyun says as they walk, “what're your interests outside of school, Changkyunnie?” He knows the answer to this already, of course, having heard the first-year bond with Jooheon over their common interests. He had liked seeing how delighted Changkyun became when talking about music, how much brighter his energy became, that Kihyun wanted to see it again. Kihyun notices the younger shiver slightly in the brisk wind, and he can't help but feel guilty about not having any sort of jacket to give the younger.

“I l-like music,” Changkyun replies nervously. “But, I don't sing. I rap.”

“That's perfect,” Kihyun chuckles, “because I'm more of a singer. Maybe we could collaborate on something one day.” Changkyun hums in acknowledgment, nodding his head ever so slightly. Kihyun can't help but sigh, wanting so much to put Changkyun at ease but now knowing how.

“Thank you for inviting me to sit with you,” the younger says suddenly, causing the older to look over in surprise. “It was nice not having to eat lunch on my own on the first day.”

“Of course,” Kihyun replies with a nod. “Think of it as an extended invitation, too. Whenever you want to come sit with us, feel more than free.” Changkyun gives a small smile as he answers that he will, and they fall into silence again. Kihyun a thoughtful breath in through his teeth, wishing he could think of something else to say. Then, he remembers what the first-year had mentioned earlier. “So, where all did you live before coming to Korea?”

“America and Israel,” Changkyun answers. Kihyun nods for him to continue, and he gladly does. He speaks of all the time he spent overseas, eyes lighting up with energy as he tells of the food and experiences, albeit more about food than anything else. He throws in a few puns here and there, which are probably the funniest jokes Kihyun has ever heard in his life. At least, that's what you'd think watching him laugh. He arches back, a breathy hyena-like laugh echoing in the air around the two boys as they walk.

 

All too soon, they come to Changkyun's house. The younger invites Kihyun inside for some warmth before having to head home, but Kihyun declines. He smiles thankfully to the younger, squeezing his arm before stepping away.

“What time are you leaving for school in the morning?” Kihyun asks. “Maybe we could walk together.”

“That sounds great, hyung,” Changkyun's answers with a cute little nod. “I’d really appreciate it, since I don't quite know the way yet.”

“I'll see you then,” Kihyun says, nodding himself. He pulls out a piece of paper to quickly scribble down his address and phone number before turning on his heel and making his way towards his home. “Just come by my house to meet up. Text if you can't find it. It's only a street over.”

“See you tomorrow, hyung!” Changkyun cheerily calls. Kihyun chuckles to himself while blushing, wondering if Changkyun knows how cute he is, if he does it on purpose or if he's just that much of a natural at it. If that's the case, girls will be lining up soon enough to get at him.

A sense of jealousy suddenly fills Kihyun at the thought, and he has to clench his fists in his pockets to keep it under control. He absolutely despises the idea of anyone getting close to his Kyunnie…

Whoa there, he thinks, stumbling over his own steps. My Kyunnie? I just met the kid, for god’s sake. He sighs, shaking his head at himself as he runs a hand through his hair. Maybe you should get to know him before you start getting a crush on the poor boy, Yoo Kihyun. That'd be the smart thing to do. Let him adjust to the new school before being completely taken by him, how about?

 

Something that's easier said than done, unfortunately, Kihyun figured out the next morning. As he's gathering his things to leave, he remembers how Changkyun had shivered the day before, and takes an extra jacket and scarf before calling to his mom that he's leaving. Hoseok and Hyungwon are already outside, huddling together in the chilly morning air to wait for him.

“Come on, Kihyunnie,” Hoseok whines. “We've been standing out here for five minutes already. Let's get going.”

“Has Changkyunnie come by?” Kihyun asks. Hoseok squints confusedly, shaking his head.

“You invited the new kid to walk with us?” Hyungwon says. He slips an arm through the crook of Hoseok's elbow and pulls the older closer to him. “You're certainly taking him under your wing, hyung.”

“I don't want him to get lost,” Kihyun mumbles plainly. He wraps his own scarf further up his neck, hiding behind it to escape Hyungwon's knowing gaze.

“Hyung!” a cheerful voice calls to them. Kihyun turns about as quick as he can, an easy smile overtaking his face at seeing the first-year jogging towards them. He halts upon reaching Kihyun’s side. An adorable blush dusts his cheeks, and his breath comes out in huffed out clouds. “Sorry if I kept you all waiting.”

“Of course not, Kyunnie,” Kihyun tells him. He frowns at seeing Changkyun’s light jacket. He pulls at the younger’s arm, his brow creasing. “Do you not have a winter coat?”

“It’s still packed away,” Changkyun chuckles embarrassedly. “I’ve been a bit lazy about unpacking, so a lot of my stuff is still in boxes around my room.” Kihyun clicks his tongue. He slings his backpack around to his front and s it, and wraps his second scarf around Changkyun’s neck, chuckling breathily at seeing the younger’s surprised expression. He also takes the extra coat he had gotten out of his bag and holds it out. Changkyun quickly slips out of his backpack and shoves his arms into the sleeves.

“Thank you, hyung,” he murmurs gratefully, snuggling into the newly dawned clothes.

“Why’d you have all that, Kihyunnie?” Hoseok asks teasingly, giving the class president a playful smirk. Kihyun ignores the stare, instead busying himself with slinging his backpack back around.

“It’s always good to be overprepared than not be prepared at all,” he finally answers, saying the first thing that comes to his mind. Hoseok chuckles at the excuse, not buying it in the slightest. He merely gives a ‘hmmph’ before pulling Hyungwon forward, murmuring something about needing to be on time. Kihyun takes Changkyun by the arm instinctively and pulls him forward as well. He notices Changkyun bashfully pulling the scarf further up his face, almost reaching the tips of his ears, and has to bite back a chuckle.