through the forest

cold fever

“ im ! for god’s sake, momo, how could you not recognize it?” she hisses, kicking an innocent stone that happens to be in her way.

 

“didn’t she recognize mine? was she playing dumb? i’m pretty sure that in the midst of my state of haze, i introduced myself as hirai momo.” she keeps talking to herself, as she walks a path that takes her to the other side of the forest, far from the lake.

 

the encounter leaves momo sleepless. it has been three days, and the girl had to put so much effort into stopping herself from camping by the lake just to see the girl again; so much effort not to shamefully crawl to her best friend, and cry about how she failed them.

momo has been their strongest member yet, and she’s been considered one of the two best candidates to lead the were-pack.

 

(the hatred between the two clans has been transmitted from one to another, a heritage that the leaders hold pride in.

 

they have taught the children to avoid the other, hoping that the paramount encounter never takes place.

at some point throughout their history, they stopped believing in it; that meeting that will change their fates.)

 

being the destined peacemaker surely wasn’t on momo’s to do list, yet here she is, strolling down the dark forest, praying to whoever is up there -watching over the desperate-, to help her out of this.

 

she thinks of the girl in black, with hair as red as the flames, and a touch as cold as the ice. she wonders if nayeon is struggling as much as her, if their meeting made a temporary insomniac out of her. she snorts, giggling to herself, as she remembers that cold ones are sleepless anyways.

 

 

 

 

nayeon is a mess. the second dahyun walks into her room (which is more of a destruction fest than an actual room), she screams for help.

 

“what the freak happened, nayeon?” jeongyeon asks with a low voice. the older girl is unresponsive; a typical angry nayeon behaviour.

“must the the hot girl..,” mina comments, gaining the attention of the other three. she doesn’t miss the warning glare nayeon gives her, but she chooses to go on with her statement.

 

“and by hot, i don’t mean figuratively hot, though she is hot , but i mean..” she pauses, breathes in through her nostrils before continuing, “the werewolf girl nayeon met few days ago.”

 

“werewolf girl?” the news seem to pique dahyun’s interest, who jumps up from where she was picking glass shards. mina nods, a knowing smile playing on her lips.

dahyun wants to ask more questions, get more answers, but the tension between the oldest two tells her that doing so will just bring the destruction out of nayeon’s room, and into the rest of the house.

 

mina, on the other hand, doesn’t miss the opportunity to sneer, “she’s our im nayeon after all.”

 

 

she disappears out of the room in a blink, leaving dahyun behind, who tries to leave as quietly as possible.

 

“stop there!” jeongyeon orders.

 

dahyun swallows hard. this is some deep .

“watch your mouth, kim dahyun!” jeongyeon scolds.

 

 

“if you leave now, the house will be mere ruins when you’re back.” nayeon adds.

“we don’t fight in front of the kids.” they both say, not breaking eye contact.