The Aircraft Engineer of Woman's Auxiliary Air Force

Iron Bird
Please log in to read the full chapter

1. The Aircraft Engineer of Woman's Auxiliary Air Force

 

In September 1st 1939 Germany, under Hitler’s command, invaded Poland.

Honoring the guarantee of Poland’s border on September 3rd 1939,

 United Kingdom and France declared war against Germany.

 

This is the beginning of World War II

 

 

25th December 1939

Taeyeon Kim, 24 years old, an aircraft engineer. Unlike other women in 1930s, at that age she didn’t had a traditional family with loving husband and a child or two. It was for two reasons; first she had a work in one of the most hazardous workplace; the military. She was a Squadron Officer in Woman’s Auxiliary Air Force (WAAF) of the United Kingdom, a unit that had a duty to assist Royal Air Force (RAF) to defend the airspace of the United Kingdom.

As for the second reason was..Taeyeon Kim was a gay woman.

 

 

 

It was a cold winter, she shouldn’t be working on Christmas day, unfortunately this year was unlike any other year before. The serenity had broken. Their beloved country was on war and working as part of the armed force at this time meant that Taeyeon wouldn’t get any holiday until the war was over.

 

Taeyeon still working on his second favorite plane; Hawker Hurricane. The plane had trouble in its fuselage and Taeyeon had been working to fix the problem for 3 days but it still wouldn’t work correctly.

 

She knew that if she didn’t left in 30 minutes, her girlfriend would be furious as this would be the first time she cooked for her family’s traditional Christmas dinner; the turkey. She had been so excited since the morning for being given the honor to cook the dish (actually she was only allowed to cook because her girlfriend’s sister who was originally in charge of the Christmas dinner was out of town), so when Taeyeon visited her girlfriend’s home before going to work she had promised that she would definitely came before the actual dinner to help setting the table.

 

Knock, knock

Taeyeon looked up from the plane’s machine hood to look at the one responsible at making that sound. Recognizing the person she immediately stood straighter then gave the person a salute.

 

“Relax Taeyeon, there’s no one here so you can greet me with your usual kiss on the cheek.” The Section Officer walked in and offered her right cheek

“Yeah right Yul.. Like hell I ever do that to you.” She said as she pushed Yuri’s face with her greasy hand playfully.

“Knock it off officer! Your hand is dirty!” Yuri furiously rubbing the oil stains off with her sleeve. “As your superior, I order you to kiss this stain away!”

“Oh now you use the rank on me.” Taeyen threw Yuri a clean cloth. “Use that to clean your face and why are you flirting with me? I’ll tell Yoong once she comes back.”

“Uuuggghhh I am in drought Taeyeon-ah.. I miss Yoona so bad. You lucky you can kiss, hug and do other thing to your girlfriend tonight when I have to wait for another 3 days before Yoona come back.”

Taeyeon patted Yuri’s shoulder, “I miss her too dude, if she isn’t out of town, tonight we won’t be eating Fany’s questionable turkey.”

“Speaking of that, we should be going right now if we have to make it to the dinner on time.”

“Give me 5 minutes to clean these up.” Taeyeon said before walking back to the plane to close its machine hood and tidying up her tools.

 

 

 

 

“This is surprisingly good.” George Hwang, the head of the family said as he chewed the turkey that her daughter made with sweat and blood as she cut herself from being too nervous on the process.

“What do you mean ‘surprisingly’?” Tiffany glared playfully at her father.

“Oh you know what I mean Stephanie, you have that unreasonable fear of oven. I thought you’d make Taeyeon goes home just to turn on the oven for you.”

Taeyeon held herself from nodding to show her agreement.

“She asked me to turn it on instead.” Yuri said as she helped herself with another serving of mashed potato. “ I had to run all the way here since I only given 45 minutes break today.”

Taeyeon turned her head to Tiffany, “Why didn’t you ask me?”

Before answering Taeyeon, Tiffany cut a chunk of the turkey and placed it on Taeyeon’s plate. “You have been very busy since last week. I know you barely able to eat your sandwich for lunch since you have those aircrafts to maintain. If I call you, I am afraid you’ll be late for dinner to compensate the time you have to help me here.” Tiffany ended her sentence with a gentle squeeze on Taeyeon’s hand.

Taeyeon wanted to give a peck on her girlfriend, minding of her future father in law who was also her Sergeant at the same table, she resolved with a light caress on Tiffany’s hand instead.

 

“Ummmm and what do you think that I am not busy?” Yuri interrupted the two.

“You are a Section Officer and on top of that you are a pilot. The majority of our aircrafts are in maintenance period, of course you’re not busy.” It was Mr. Hwang who answered. “Are you hanging there with Yoona gone for a week?” He asked about her relationship with his second daughter.

“She does not. She asked me to kiss her on our way here Sir.” Taeyeon grinned at Yuri. She winked at Mr. Hwang secretly.

Yuri felt cold running through her body as she turned her head slowly towards Mr.Hwang. “S-sir.. I was just joking around with Taeyeon.”

Mr. Hwang raised his eyebrows, “I don’t think it’s me that you’re supposed to be afraid of.” Then he used his eyes to point on Tiffany.

When Yuri looked at Tiffany, the latter was cutting the turkey with the most violence move possible, squinting her eyes focusing on Yuri. “I imagine that this is you Yuri-ah..” Tiffany decided to join the teasing.

“I never know that you can use knife so well.”

“What do you think? I am a doctor. My scalpel is sharper than this knife you know? It can cut through

Please log in to read the full chapter