01 / beginning of ends

  초강대국? NO WAY
01
beginning of ends
warning : swearing
 

1:25PM ◇ Prestige, immaculate, posh. Some of the words you could use to describe the infamous students of Hwajoong. Either insanely rich or insanely smart, there were hardly anyone inbetween. Light chatter had sprung amidst the students as they walked down the wide corridors of the National Museum of South Korea, most had already visited the many exhibitions the museum in their free time - of course, the rich had with their abundance of leisure time. Of course, not all the students of Hwajoong had arrived to this day long excursion to the museum - the top twenty ranked students of each grade, every year, gets chosen to attend an excursion funded by the school. Seperated into groups, they get to roam freely in the premise of the large museum. Easy enough, a fun day out for the bored, rich and the smart.

“All this is boring, the exhibit’s over a month old!”

“Well, exhibits’ tend to - you know - be that way for a reason. Not everyone hangs out here every weekend.”

“Shut up idiot. Hey, you’re not even in our group!”

“We’ve already seen everything and we have three hours left until we’re dismissed! Might as well stick with your group, I mean, I’m stuck with two toddlers in our group.”

Ahn Suhyun and Jeon Soonseok stood at each other’s neck once again, there could never be a day when the two are simply not fighting. The girl only sighed before backing off as the rest of their groups simply looked around the current displays without any quarrell, “Well, if you’re bored and we all have seen everything … Might as well look at what dad’s been talking about.”

“Huh?”

“Okay! Everyone follow me!”

 


 

1:30PM ◇Ahn. Su. Hyun. Don’t tell me you’re going to the restricted section.” Third year, Nam Howon spoke in a hushed voice as he watched the mentioned girl guide two groups of unwilling students to the said area. Immediately, everyone froze in their footsteps. Suhyun gave a slight smirk, “Crap, I totally forgot that your parents worked here too.”

“What are we doing? We’re going to get in so much trouble,” Kang Yuna whispered under her breath, causing immediate panic by the rest of the students, “Listen, I know your father works here but are you sure it’s okay to be in this section? I’m not planning on spending my Friday night sitting in detention when I could be working, ya feel?”

A scoff resonated from her classmate besides her, “You make a valid point but working? Seriously Yuna, a Friday night and you want to go to work.”

“Seryoung! Think! We’re gonna’ get caught, the museum will tell our school, the school will expel us all! Oh man, I think I’m gonna’ pass out.”

“No one’s going to pass out or going to get expelled or anything like that. Besides, I’ve snuck into the restricted section countless of times!”

“That’s not really reassuring for the safety of the works displayed here - if a dumb teenage girl can sneak in all the time.”

“You know what Soonseok, you really need to shut up.”

“Suhyun has a point,” Howon pointed out, “My parents mentioned there’s a new artifact that was brought in like, I don’t know, a week ago? They aren’t planning on displaying it though so… We should sneak in and take a look at it? Not even my parents have seen it! Just imagine we’ll be one of the first people in the public to look at it!”

“That sounds cool...”

“Look! Even Jumin thinks it’s cool! The first year! So, come on let’s go!”

Soonseok is the first to start sneaking off to the restricted section, along with Howon who forced an unwilling Yuna along. Han Jumin shuffles behind the third years, scared? But his excitement wins over slightly. Nam Sewoon glances over to Suhyun’s short best friend with a wary glance, though he continues walking towards the restricted section, “Hey Yerin, you sure we should follow through with this?”

Joo Yerin gave a shrug, “Yeah, why not? Seems fun.”

“Fun?” Jin Jibin reiterates, “Sneaking into a strictly restricted area is...fun?”

"They do all sorts of weird stuff together," Ipsae shrugged, "Don't even question their definition of 'fun'."

Carrie Jung stands frozen where the group had initially stopped, her eyes glancing back to the entry and Suhyun, who was walking towards her. She didn’t know what to do, she couldn’t go back to get dismissed in god knows when with no group!

“Hey, Carrie…. Wasn’t it? Come with us! We’re checking out some pretty cool stuff!”

‘Oh my daisy, did Ahn Suhyun just say my name?’ She stood frozen still, unmoving as slightly gaped. Suhyun peeked over her shoulder to take a look at the retreating group, “Come! It’ll be fun!” ‘Ahn Suhyun, the Ahn Suhyun, is holding my hand!’ Hands clasped together, Suhyun rushes forward with a tumbling Carrie on her tracks - who, by then, freaked more about the popular girl holding her hand than entering the restricted section. Third year, Musaeng only shook his head in disbelief as he watched Suhyun - and the rest of the group (totally) head off to the restricted section. He could always tell a teacher, but for everyone else’s sake, he simply went to join them.

 


 

6:30AM ◇ “Huh, how did I get here… Oh, this is my room… How the hell did I get back home last night…Urgh, SuSu must’ve dropped me home... ” Joo Yerin woke up confused, snug in her pajamas and in her comfy bed as if she was some hungover girl in her twenties who passed out from drinking too much. She could only remember the first half of the day before, right when she and the two groups entered the restricted section. She didn’t think much of it, it must’ve been her morning drowsiness as she turned off her beeping alarm. Stomach growling heavily, the second year did her morning routine, dressed, and went off to eat her breakfast - nothing out of the usual.

Yerin painfully hissed at the sharp sting on her foot - of course the one day she hadn’t put on socks or slippers on - and instantly glared at her cats, who had undoubtedly knocked over the glass vase on the kitchen counter. Of course, she couldn’t stay mad at her. With a painful hiss, she pulled the glass shard out of her foot but to her surprise - her deep wounds had begun to heal itself. With wide eyes, gaping mouth and trembling fingers - Yerin called Suhyun.  

 


 

6:45AM ◇ He felt his fingers tingle with a strange feeling. As if you had slept on your fingers and it had gone halfway between numb and prickling - almost like it was static. Sewoon groaned as he woke up but felt his hand clutch something. He squinted at the object in his hands, a razor? ‘What the heck, why am I holding a razor in my sleep?

He grazed over his thankfully, intact hair and sighed in relief. He stood up to place the razor down on his table, pondering, when his phone rang abruptly - making Sewoon jump in surprise. Though, that wasn’t the most surprising thing as the phone had jumped along with him - suspending over his bedside table and crashing onto the floor below. He rubbed his eyes as to make sure this was not all a dream, “What a sick prank if it ever were one.”

He reached out to grab his phone from the floor and as if it was a natural instinct, his phone flew into his hands as if it were a magnet - small electric waves emitting from his hands.

“What… The… Fu-”

Immediately, tech-savvy Sewoon had jumped onto his computer and tried to search for the answer as to why all this ‘creepy’ nonsense had happened. Something logical, he wished, but all the information that had answered to what had happened to him all pointed to him wielding some sort of superpower. 

 


 

6:50AM ◇ Yuna, surprisingly, had a seamless sleep. Sleep mask on her face, pyjamas soft and lint-free, nothing really seemed out of place. She walked into the bathroom, ready to do her daily face washes and beauty regime but when she took off her face mask, she only screamed. EXID’s Hani stared back at her, screaming back into the reflection of the mirror. Yuna panted heavily, splashing the icy cold water onto her face and caught her reflection change again only this time SHINee’s Key replaced it. Her breaths were ragged as she forced herself to calm down - like those pointless meditation videos that counsellors send every once in a while during exam season. She closed her eyes and opened her eyes to watch Key’s face form into her own once her heart had slowed down. “I think I need to go back to sleep.”

 


 

7:00AM ◇ Yerin almost immediately raced out of her house when Suhyun had not initially picked up the phone, usually on the first ring, the girl would pick up but today there was no reply at all. The small girl panted as the housekeeper let her into the house, obviously accustomed to her visits (though usually not this early in the morning).

“SuSu is everything alri-” She burst into the said girl’s room and her eyes almost bulged out. Suhyun floated in the middle of the room, her eyes teary as she screamed for help (no one came to help her, though it was probably karma for when she begged to have her room soundproofed). Around the floating girl, numerous objects flew around her - her bed, books, dresser and everything in between was levitating from a few inches off the floor to all the way to the roof. “God Rinnie, I don’t know what’s happening,” Suhyun wailed as she attempted to calm herself down but to no avail, “Help me - Oh my god.”

Yerin reached for her hand to try pull her down onto the floor but felt herself float too, she gasped in defeat. “Suhyun, I need you to be calm.” Calm was the complete opposite as to what the posh girl had looked like but Suhyun followed Yerin’s instructions to breathe in and out and to calm her tensed limbs. With that, the two - and everything else that was floating crashed back onto the floor with a thud. “What the heck… Why is this happening? This is a nightmare right? I want this to end.”

“It looks like you and I got powers... “ Yerin only shook her head as she mumbled, Suhyun tilting her head in confusion, “So Suhyun, your power looks like… I don’t know, a floating one… and mine is…” Yerin looked around the room and grabbed Suhyun’s expensive letter opener from her desk and with slight hesitation, cut her arm to showcase her newfound healing abilities. The girl only screamed before things began to float again.

 


 

7:20AM ◇ “Jumin-ah!? Jumin-ah!? Where are you?” The said boy wasn’t sure if it was the fact that his roommate, hanbin, was there in the middle of their room screaming his name or just some morning drowsiness that had caused his head to spin with dizziness though he was sure he had woken up slightly to turn off his alarm in the past hour. Nevertheless, Jumin woke up to see Hanbin’s shocked, confused and panicked face. “What is it, Hyung?”

“Jumin-ah, seriously where are you? Stop playing games!” His roommate only looked around in confusion, “If they find out you’re not here we’re in big trouble!”

“But I’m here Hyung!”

“Where? You’re not a ghost, are you?” Hanbin began to wave his arms in the air with a panicked motion to which Jumin could only shake his head at and banged his head on the bed, “No, I'm not. I'm here! And Hyung, stop. You look stupid… Hyung, are you stressed? How can you not see me!?"

Hanbin’s cheeks flushed red as he stopped waving his arms in the air as if he were a crazy person to which Jumin grabbed his hand, continuously yelling that he was there, right in front of him. Hanbin sighed, "I must be crazy! I'm starting to hear things…"

Jumin gasped in realisation, ‘If Hanbin-hyung can’t see me… That means I’m…”

He let go of Hanbin’s hand and sprinted to the mirror to see that nothing that reflected back. His reflection wasn’t there - Jumin was invisible! ‘Wow. I'm invisible. Jesus Noona must've been crazy.... or am I crazy? or.. is evERYONE CRAZY NOW?! THE HELL?! HOLY JESUS AM I DEAD?!...... but if I was dead Hanbin-hyung wouldn't be able to touch me.... which means.... wait DOES THIS EVEN MAKE SENSE?! OOooOhkay... how do you turn to normal... the last thing was the museum and Suhyun-noona.... sUHYUN NOONA!’ Jumin snapped his fingers in recognition, and to his dismay to frantic Hanbin could still hear and grabbed his phone. ‘Goddamnit Noona!’ he thought as he proceeded to text her.

 


 

7:30AM ◇ The day was surprisingly that bit colder, so Howon had made sure to pack an extra light weight sweater along with his scarf for the school day ahead. Clear skies, a bit of frost on the windows (though it wasn't snowing, thank god it was just a cold autumn day). Howon let out a breath of air from his lungs, something that he had done out of habits and he unexpectedly scooted back. Out of curiosity, Howon blew again - though only this time, harder, and found himself flying backwards - finding himself on the corner of the road, no further than fifteen metres away from where his house was (though he walked at least ten metres forward from his house).

“Howon? What the heck, get up! Why are you on the ground? Y’know school’s the opposite way from here,” Yuna’s voice was laced with concern, though it was slightly muffled due to the surgical mask she had worn (not due to the cold weather, but in case her face forming incident happened again). Howon blinked and with a joking grin he murmured, “I didn’t fall, did I?” 

 


 

8:45AM ◇ “Well, well, well.” Soonseok smirked as he sat on her desk, “Little Miss Crazy Rich Asians is almost late to homeroom! What’s got your in a twist?”

Suhyun grumbled and pushed the boy off her desk immediately with a snarl, “Watch it Soonsuckass, I’ve had a bad morning.”

“Woah!” Soonseok chuckled, “Calm down, besides, Sameul’s the only person who calls me that - find your own nickname. I find Dunce-seok more endearing.”

Yerin merely sat down in her seat next to Suhyun’s and crossed her arms, “No really Soonseok, it’s been a really eventful morning so it’s best if you just - you know - shut up.”

“Are you mocking me from what I said yesterday?”

“Maybe, maybe not.”

"Okay, but on a more serious note - what happened yesterday? I think it's only me but like I... I must've  out or something because I don't remember anything from what happened after we entered the restricted area."

Suhyun and Yerin's heads snapped towards Soonseok with wide eyes who seemed to notice their abnormal behaviour, "Or... did it happen to you guys too...?"

 
AUTHOR'S NOTE:

so, i'm not active on aff at all. i just didn't deactivate because of all my blogs and stories which are still dear to my heart. i really wanted this story to head off, and as i wrote this chapter (a year after i announced the cast basically) i really fell in love with this plot and wanted to continue, thus i'm making this chapter and i'm hopefully continuing this series. now some of the applicants put their blogs on draft mode so i dont have some access to some characters so i'm working off the characters  i have now. so, yeah, i hope you guys still enjoy this story.