intro

private matters | case files

  It was strange being there. The station was a building she passed by everyday on her way to school for years. She had never thought she would ever have any reason to go in. She never thought she would even step in the building for the second time that year. She held on to her bag, the files with all the necessary papers signed in one hand. She could see uniformed officers everywhere, very few sparing her a glance. She looked around, feeling lost. She wondered if she should call someone. But who can she call? Her Civics teacher? Her parents? That number written across the large poster hung on the wall, next to a couple mugshots.

  "Can I help you?"

  She looked up, to find one of the woman behind the desk, a young brunette with her tied up in a bun, looking her way. Seeing the gentle smile on the woman's face helped calm her nerves. Her steps a lot lighter than when she first entered the station.

  "I'm here for the internship," she told her.

  "A little young for an internship," the woman commented. "What's your name?"

  "Kim Doyeon. I'm from Fantagio High. I'm here for my Civics class assignment," she answered, handing her the necessary papers.

  "Right," the woman said, giving the papers a once over. "Just go down there, pass the room ful of detectives, and take the first right. Third door on the left. Officer Park is already in there with the rest of the volunteers."

  "Alright, thank you," Doyeon said, before heading down the hallway. She passed by a couple officers, some uniformed and some not, all she hastily greeted. She noticed how nearly all of them was carrying a gun, which kept her on high alert. She passed by a room where she assumed are the detective's office. Most of them holding files, or on the phone and hurriedly jotting down on their notepads.

  She turned right as per instructed, and immediately the chatters in the previous room died down. Counting  the doors, she found herself standing in front of a door marked Property Room. She could hear the voices of others in there. She knocked once, twice, and pushed the door open.

  Inside the room, a group of people sat around a large table, all turn to face her. A woman stood in front of the room, paused in the middle of talking to look up at the door.

  "The woman at the front desk told me to come here for the internship. I'm Kim Doyeon," Doyeon said. "Sorry I'm a little late."

  "Right. It's fine," the woman said. "Please take a seat. We still have one more on the way."

  "Actually, Yoojung won't be able to come here," Doyeon told her, as she took a seat next to a foreign looking girl with light brown hair. "She decided to stay at the hospital."

  "Oh well then, I guess we can begin. Once again, my name is Park Chorong," the woman said. "You can call me Officer Park. I will be watching over you all throughout this program. I know most of you came here probably hoping to help investigate some of the cases we have. Sorry to disappoint you, but due to your lack of experience, your tasks will mostly be in the evidence rooms and storage."

  Chorong tried to hide a smile, when she realized some of them had leaned back in their chair, or fiddling with their pens, hanging their head in clear disappointment.

  "You all will be separated in two groups. One group will be handling the property room which is just through that door. You will be handling all the items found at a crime scene that aren't classified as evidence. The second group will be working at the evidence storage room where you will have to help organize evidences from solved and cold cases."

  "Will we be given a gun? Or do we need to get one ourselves?" one of the guys said.

  "Neither. To ensure your safety, none of you will be working with firearms or any of our active cases." Seeing the looks on their faces, she added, "I know this is not what you all expected. But you have to understand that we are low on manpower and I am the only one available to watch over you. I cannot risk any of you being put in danger while you work here."

...

a short intro to help explain why they're there in the first place.