Chocolate, Roses, And Fate Never Rests

Timeless As A Kiss (I Don't Want To Miss A Moment)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

JIn’s never considered himself stealthy or sly, yet he’s been avoiding Hoseok with Ninja-like skills ever since his almost confession on Street Food Saturday. It’s Wednesday, and he’s sick, which because the world doesn’t stop when you’re not feeling well. It should, he thinks to himself. Jin’s sitting at the desk in his office reading over a contract as he waits for his client, Kim Taehyung, to arrive for their meeting. His phone vibrates on the desk. He doesn’t look at it; he knows who it is. Hoseok. He’s not ready to talk; he’s not sure what to say, how to respond. He feels embarrassed, well, more shy than anything. He sighs as he scrolls through the plethora of unanswered texts on his phone.

 

From: Hobipie

Hyung

Hyung

Hyung

Where are you?

 

From: Hobipie

I miss you

 

From: Hobipie

I’m sorry

Please talk to me again

 

From: Hobipie

Hyung please

Please talk to me

What’s wrong

I’m sorry

 

“Wow, that sigh was positively heartbreaking.” Jin looks up from the screen, surprised by the voice.

“Ahh, Taehyung-sshi, it’s good to see you,” he greets the younger man.

“Nice to see you too, hyung. I’m excited about our meeting today. I took your advice in our last meeting and came ready to discuss my dream wedding. Also, you’re not allowed to laugh at me,” Taehyung says with such enthusiasm that Jin momentarily forgets his problems.

“Good. I’m happy to hear that. So, where do you want to start?” he questions the groom to be.

“Well, I’d like to start with you, to be honest,” Taehyung says, concern coloring his voice.

“With me?”

“Yes, what was that sigh all about?” The younger man leans forward, hands folded under his chin.

Jin chuckles. The look Taehyung gives him reminds of a TV psychologist.

“Relationship issues, ironically,” Jin tells him. He feels comfortable with Taehyung, which surprises him. He’s usually very professional with his clients, choosing not to mix work and his private life.

“What kind of issues?” Taehyung leans in closer, and Jin has the sudden urge to pat the man on the head. Maybe it’s because Taehyung reminds him a bit of Hoseok. There’s something free and unencumbered about the younger man. It’s a quality that Hoseok also possesses.

He opens his mouth, ready to tell Taehyung that he’s not comfortable with speaking about his private life, ready to explain that he doesn’t mix his work life with personal life, so he’s surprised by what comes out next.

“I may be in love with my best friend,” he blurts out. His hands fly to his lips instantly, covering his mouth in shock.

“I get that,” Taehyung responds smoothly, as though they were old friends shooting the breeze. “Did you know Yoongi’s my brother’s best friend? They’ve known each other since I was five. I’ve been in love with Min Yoongi since I was twelve.”

“Wow, that’s a long time.”

“Yes, it is. For most of that time he didn’t know I existed. Well, I mean he knew I existed, but you know, just as Jongin’s younger brother. I tried everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, to get his attention, but Min Yoongi it turns out was immune to my obvious charms.” Taehyung shakes his head as though he still can’t believe it. “So, at the ripe old age of fifteen, I gave up on love and started dating other people, but nothing was fulfilling, you know?” Taehyung asks, but it’s not a question.

Jin nods his head; he does know. In fact, he completely understands what Taehyung is saying on a personal level. Sophomore year of college when everything changed springs to the forefront of his mind. He remembers the moment like it was yesterday. It was the end of regionals, and after sixteen rounds of collegiate wrestling, his team had come out victorious. It was his last year to participate, having promised his parents that he’d be more focused on school for his Junior and Senior years, so winning had been a glorious moment, filled with the excitement and adrenaline one would associate with being a champion. His family had come, friends from high school and college as well, yet he remembers his eyes searching for one person, just one person, and at the time he didn’t even know who it was, not on a conscious level anyway. It wasn’t until his eyes landed on Hoseok sitting in the stands, waving at him, that he realized who he’d been searching for. The moment their eyes met, the joy that filled Jin was indescribable, and it dawned on him it didn’t matter what else happened in his world, where he was or what he was doing, as long as Hoseok was by his side, he’d be okay.

 

He looks directly at Taehyung, wondering what changed, how he went from the Yoongi’s best friend’s younger brother to the love of his life.

“What changed? I mean, how’d you get him to notice you?” Taehyung smiles, and it’s as though he’s been waiting for Jin to ask this question.

This time it’s Jin who leans closer, his chair screeching along the ground as he moves.

“One day, I was walking along the streets in Myeongdong, just browsing the stores. It was three weeks after I returned home from college. Two weeks prior Yoongi had turned me down flat, I mean dropped me like a deflated football, broke my heart into a thousand pieces. Anyway, I digress. So, I went to Seoul to get away from everything for a while, to gather my thoughts and try to heal, I guess. The sun had just started to set, and the sky was this beautiful gold-orange color, like the heavens were on fire,” Taehyung says with a wistful smile on his face, as though he's watching the scene unfold in front of his eyes. “I pulled out my camera to take a picture, then on a whim I decided to take pictures of the landscape and the people around me. So, there I am, looking through the lens, trying to frame the shot when to my surprise I see Yoongi standing across the street from me, staring at me like he’s just seen a ghost.” Taehyung chuckles to himself and Jin laughs too without knowing the joke.

“What happened next?” Jin questions eagerly.

“Well, I nearly dropped my camera, is what. So, we’re standing there, right? And it’s like a scene from a movie. You know that moment when the two lovers are standing across from each other, completely still, but everything around them is going fast, like at a thousand times the speed?” Jin nods. “It was like that. Something was different though, the way he looked at me. First he looked shocked, like he just couldn’t believe it was me, then it was like, like, uhm…determination, maybe? I don’t know, all I know is it made me shiver straight down to my toes, bubbling with this nervous excitement like I was a can of soda that someone had just shaken. When the light changed to the little crossing guy, he walked toward me like a man on a mission, and nothing about the look in his eyes said platonic. When he finally made it to where I was standing, glued to my spot—he didn’t say a single word. Instead, he placed a hand on the back of my neck, pulled my face towards him, and crashed our lips together. I swear to god, if his other hand wasn't holding on to my hip, I would’ve crumpled to the ground in a pile of mush. The kiss literally made me weak in the knees.”

“Wow, how..what?” Jin’s not sure what he’s asking. “Did he ever say what happened?”

“Your eyes are so huge, right now,” Taehyung says, pointing at Jin and laughing.

“I’m just so surprised by the complete turnaround.”

“Trust me, I was too. Yoongi’s never told me the full reason, only that he opened his eyes, looked up, and saw his one true love.” Taehyung giggles as he repeats Yoongi’s words, and Jin can see love shining brightly in the young man's eyes, and it hurts—because he knows he’ll never hear those words from Hoseok.

“That’s a beautiful story Taehyung. I’m so happy you found your true love. Let’s make sure your wedding is an accurate reflection of that love. I’m sorry for sidetracking you with my issues, but I’m glad I was able to learn about your backstory. It will help me as we plan your dream wedding.” Jin transitions to matter at hand; Taehyung’s a customer, not a psychiatrist or counselor.

“I like that I’m able to relate to you, hyung, it’s a sign that Yoongi and I choose the right people to plan our special day. Can I ask you just one more question?” Taehyung asks almost cautiously.

“Sure, go right ahead?” He expects the question to be about the man’s wedding.

“Your best friend, the one you’re in love with, is it Hoseok?” Taehyung’s eyes are questioning.

All the air has been out of the room, or at least it’s how Jin feels. He can’t breathe. Taehyung’s off the cuff question has knocked him completely off his axis, and he’s having trouble regaining his center. He looks at the younger man in complete disbelief.

“Is-is it noticeable?” He asks incredulously.

Taehyung shakes his head, and Jin breathes the biggest sigh of relief ever.

“It isn’t, not in an obvious way. You two seem extremely close, almost as if you’re sharing the same brain. Yoongi commented on it after our first meeting with you guys. You’d start a sentence, and Hoseok would finish it or vice versa. The best part is, I don’t think either of you realized you were doing that; I honestly thought you both were already an item,” Taehyung states matter-of-factly.

“We've known each other since high school. We have,” Jin starts with a heavy sigh, “we have a lot of history. I’ve always been an emotional person, led by my feelings. Hoseok, despite his sunshine and jolly personality, is very much a just-the-facts type man.” Jin shakes his head, realizing where the conversation is going and how unprofessional he’s being. He claps his hand and chuckles when Taehyung jumps in surprise. “Enough about me. This meeting should be about you and making sure the day you say, ‘I do’ is fairy tale perfect.”

Taehyung looks at him thoughtfully, and Jin worries that maybe he has overshared.

“Hyung, I want you to know that I genuinely hope someday you get your fairy tale ending too.”

“Thank you, Taehyung-sshi, your kindness is very touching,” Jin replies, patting the man on his hand.

Jin feels somewhat lighter as they talk about wedding flower choices and color schemes. Hoseok doesn’t believe in fairy tales, so Jin doubts he’ll get the ending he desires, but for now, he’s happy to live vicariously through Taehyung and Yoongi.

 

It’s Friday, pizza and movie night, and Hoseok’s anxious because Jin’s been avoiding him like the plague. A part of him understands why, but another part of him is confused by the sudden change. The beeping of his phone has him bolting up from his spot on the floor of his dance studio, scrambling to the wall unit where his cell currently lies.

 

From:5558441147

I this Jung Hoseok?

 

 

To: 5558441147

Yes

Who is this?

 

From: 5558441147

Hello, hi

My name is Min Yoongi

I have an appointment for a lesson tonight

 

To: 5558441147

Ahh, Yoongi-sshi

I’m at the studio right now

 

From: 5558441147

I’m sorry for the late notice

But I won’t be able to make it

I have a work thing that suddenly came up

 

To: 5558441147

Oh, okay

Should we reschedule?

 

From: 5558441147

Yes, yes please

Taehyung will kill me if I don’t take lessons

I should be good tomorrow around 6 in the evening

Would that be fine?

I know it’s Saturday so if you can’t I understand

 

To: 5558441147

No, no that should be fine

 

From: 5558441147

Omg, thank you should much

I owe you one

 

To: 5558441147

Well maybe you can write a song

for my wedding somed

 

Hoseok realizes his reply is inappropriate. He hits the button to delete the message, but realizes too late that he accidentally pressed send instead. As the message disappears from his screen, he panics.

 

To: 5558441147

Omg I’m so sorry

Please disregard that text

 

From: 5558441147

You know who I am?

 

To: 5558441147

Yes

I’m a fan actually

 

From: 5558441147

Well Hoseok-sshi if I get through

my wedding without crushing my beloved toes

rendering him incapable of walking

I’ll write anything you want

 

Hoseok laughs out loud at the response. It’s his first real smile since Street Food Day.

 

To: 5558441147

Mr. Min

you have a deal

 

From: 5558441147

Excellent

See you tomorrow then

 

Hoseok’s so excited about the encounter, he forgets momentarily that he and Jin haven’t said more than ten words to each other in the past week.

To: pinkhyung

Omg, omg

Min Yoongi just said he’d

write me a song

 

After he hits send, he remembers that his last twenty texts to the man have gone unanswered. He’s about to put his phone back on the wall unit when it vibrates in his hand.

 

From: pinkhyung

That’s nice

 

Hoseok’s smiling ear to ear. His heart is thumping against his chest, pounding for joy.

 

 

To: pinkhyung

It’s movie night

 

He holds his breath, hoping Jin will respond again.

 

From: pinkhyung

I know

I’m sick ☹

I want chocolate and the cheesiest romcom ever

and…

snuggles

lots

and

lots

of

snuggles

and maybe Soju

 

To: pinkhyung

luckily for you

I’m educated in cheesy movies

chocolate purchasing and snuggles

you’re welcome

you seriously lucked out in the roommate department

 

From: pinkhyung

I’m too tired

to argue

no longer call me Jin

call me by my new name

mucus

because it’s what I’ve become

 

To: pinkhyung

so instead of Soju

I’ll bring you medicine

I can’t have you trying to kiss the neighbors when you’re sick

sick and drunk is a

no-no

 

From: pinkhyung

When have I ever

 

To: pinkhyung

hyung

you

 

 

reaaaallly

want me to remind you about

the frat party of 2012

 

From: pinkhyung

there’s no evidence to prove that night happened

 

To: pinkhyung

ah but there is

Jungkook has it ALL on video

art majors have no respect

 

From: pinkhyung

mmm

….

I’m sick be nice to me

 

To: pinkhyung

I’m always nice to you

<3<3<3

I’ll see you in a bit

 

From: pinkhyung

see you later

 

A weight that Hoseok didn’t know he’d been carrying has been lifted from his chest. His world is right once again; he has his Jin back. Packing up, he grabs his backpack from the cupboard and throws it over his shoulder as he walks out the door. He stops by his office to pick up the playlist he’s comprised for the Kim/Min wedding; he’s been wanting Jin’s opinion on the song selection. After leaving the office, Hoseok heads to the store to pick up movie watching essentials and medicine for Jin.

Perusing the aisles, he finds popcorn and cough medicine; as he walks toward the register, he remembers that Jin wants candy as well.

“Ahjumma, where’s the chocolate?” he asks the cashier.

“Uhm,” she responds looking up at the numbers in each line. “Aisle five.” She points him in the right direction.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter