Pancakes, Street Food, And Fate

Timeless As A Kiss (I Don't Want To Miss A Moment)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Are you awake?” Jin’s voice resounds on the other side of his bedroom door.

“No,” Hoseok grunts out sleepily.

“You answered though. Isn’t that proof that you’re awake?”

“Nope.” It is of course, but Hoseok’s not ready to admit defeat.

“So, are you talking in your sleep?”

“Yup.”

“Fine, I’ll take my pancakes and go find an awake person to share them with.” Jin’s threat has Hoseok sitting up in his bed.

“Pancakes with strawberry filling?”

“Mmm,” Jin hums.

“I’m awake.”

“You sure? I wouldn’t want to disrupt your rest,” Jin says sarcastically. Hoseok would protest, but he deserves the rebuttal.

He’s still half asleep, and a quick comeback is not forthcoming. Hoseok climbs out of bed and walks to the door, grabbing a t-shirt and pulling it over his head on the way.

“It’s Saturday, hyung. Normal people don’t get out of bed until at least noon,” he informs the older man.

“Normal people are lazy,” Jin retorts, hands on his hips, and Hoseok can’t help but laugh.

“Can’t disagree with you on that. So, let’s talk strawberry filled pancakes. Do we have whipped cream?” He follows Jin down the hall to the kitchen.

“I think so. It’s grocery day, so whatever we don’t have we can pick up later.”

The kitchen smells amazing, and Hoseok thanks his lucky stars every day for landing a roommate who can cook, otherwise he’d starve to death or live on ramen. Jin’s a morning person, and Hoseok, in the preliminary stages of their friendship, was wholeheartedly irked by this trait. Being woken up at six in the morning by an overly happy person can be difficult, especially when your initial thought is to tell them to off. As he watches Jin putter about the kitchen, pulling down plates and pouring orange juice, a feeling of domestic tranquility fills the corners of the room, and Hoseok has the sudden urge to reach out and touch the older man. He doesn’t; he never does. He’s not new to the sensation.

“You’re staring again,” Jin says, cutting through his reverie.

“Am not. This is called zoning out. It’s what happens when one is woken up too early by another,” Hoseok easily flings out a reply. He’s gotten good at saving face.

“It’s okay to admit that you find me attractive, you know? I’m stunning; even I can’t believe it at times.” Jin winks mischievously, and Hoseok rolls his eyes dramatically.

“I’m here for the pancakes.”

“Suuuure, you are,” Jin laughs.

“So, what’s the plan for the day, slave master?” Hoseok changes the topic, suddenly feeling uncomfortable about the subject matter.

“Mmm, well groceries for sure. And well, of course, it’s street food day.”

Hoseok nods knowingly. It’s a tradition, well, their tradition anyway. It started about a year ago-damn has it been that long? Born out of pure laziness, on a Saturday, of course, when neither of them wanted to cook, Jin because he truly was not in the mood and Hoseok because cooking would be detrimental to both their health. They decided to order out but couldn’t make a decision on what they wanted and opted to walk to the street vendors instead, and thus Street Food Saturday was born.

“Excellent. I’ve been looking for to the Ddeokbokki cart. I had a dream about those rice cakes and have been thinking about the ever since.” Hoseok shoves a fork full of pancakes in his mouth.

“Eww, don’t talk with your mouth full. You’re not a cave man,” Jin chides, and Hoseok makes caveman sounds earning himself a slap on the arm.

“Ouch, hyung,” he cries dramatically.

“I barely touched you,” Jin responds dryly.

“Oh, I have to stop by the office today. I want to pick up the portfolio for the Min/Kim nuptials. Have you met them?” he asks Jin.

“Mmm, I like them. Min Yoongi is a producer; you two will have a lot to talk about, his fiance’, Kim Taehyung, is a school teacher. They’re so opposite in personality that they compliment each other perfectly,” Jin muses, a far away look in his eyes, and for a brief moment, Hoseok wants to know what the older man’s thinking.

“Wait. Did you say Min Yoongi?” Hoseok almost chokes on his pancake.

“Mmm, why?”

“Holy . If it’s who I think it is then I may be a little star struck. He’s a freaking musical genius. he’s gay? I would never have guessed by his music.”

“What does that mean?” Jin looks at him curiously. “Music is music; what does it have to do with a person’s uality or preferences.”

. They always end up here. Having the one conversation that Hoseok’s been dodging for years, ever since Jin had come out to him their sophomore year of college. It’s no secret that Hoseok plays both ends of the field; he likes and isn’t picky about partners, but Jin... Jin’s not Hoseok. Jin’s sweet and sensitive. Jin’s gentle and kind and likes things to be in their proper place. Whereas Hoseok’s a hurricane, tossing things about and causing mayhem; Jin’s a calming rain, refreshing and steady helping things grow.

“I didn’t mean anything by it, hyung,” he answers cautiously. “His music tends to be aggressive, almost pushing the envelope, so I just kind of pictured him straight-laced, you know? Not sure why.”

“Mmm,” Jin grimaces, and Hoseok can see that the man has more to say but doesn’t.

The issue is that Hoseok doesn’t like men any more than he likes women. Jin’s very clear about what he likes and has, on more than one occasion, questioned Hoseok about what he wants. It’s not that Hoseok’s avoiding the question; it’s that he truly doesn’t know the answer. Or more precisely, he doesn’t want to know the answer. Something tells him that if took the time to probe, what he found would change his and Jin’s relationship profoundly, and he’s not sure he’s ready for anything to change.

“So, how about this?” he changes the subject. “After breakfast, I pop by the office and to pick up the files, then I meet you at the grocery store, say around, what time is it?” He looks up at the clock on the wall. “It’s ten, I’ll probably leave in an hour or so, train ride there and back… I’ll meet you say around two? We drop groceries home and then street food, maybe pick up a movie too?”

“Sounds good.” Jin smiles, “oh and Hoseok, don’t think I didn’t see what you did there.” Jin gets up from the table.

 

“Hey, what are you doing here?” Namjoon greets him in the hall as he makes his way to the office.

“Hey. I could ask you the same question.”

“True, but I asked first,” Namjoon volleys back, and Hoseok chuckles.

“Picking up some files. We have new clients, and I just wanted to do some research and get a fix on their musical taste,” Hoseok tells Namjoon as he opens the door.

“Ahh, I’m not that dedicated. It’s going to rain tomorrow, and I left my umbrella here.”

“We can’t all be as amazing as me, s’okay.” Hoseok pats Namjoon on the shoulder dramatically.

“Whatever,” Namjoon says, flicking Hoseok’s hand away. “Hey, did Jin ever call Jimin?”

The sudden change in topic has Hoseok’s head slightly spinning.

“Jimin?” he questions. The name sounds somewhat familiar. “Wait, do you mean t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter