EPILOGUE - Morning after (a bright one, of course)

The Best Birthday Gift

Luckily, the girls' photoshoot fell on a Saturday, my rest day. I was free, and it was the perfect opportunity to go see my girlfriend. My girlfriend. I shuddered and felt giddy all over. It's finally official. I'd have to get used to calling her that from now on.

 

She and the other girls may be tired from lack of sleep so I decided to bring treats. I brought eight frappes, all the same flavor to avoid favoritism, to the set of the photoshoot. Sunny texted me the location and informed security that I'll be coming. It was one hell of a challenge not getting any of the drinks spilled on my car seat, and even more carrying them to the third floor of the building alone.

Pushing open the glass door with my shoulder, Yuri, who had just finished taking her individual shots and was resting in the corner, noticed me and helped with my handful of drinks.

"OHH Y/N!! It's been a while! What're these...Frappes? Are these for us? Y/N, you're jjang! Hey guys, Y/N's here!"

Dodging the staff that were redoing their makeup, Seohyun and Yoona came over excitedly to get the drinks and distribute them to their unnies.

"Y/N, you're really kind. Belated happy birthday! By the way, I'm really sorry if I wasn't able to attend dinner last night..", Seohyun pouted. "It's all right. If you came I'd be obliged to treat you to steak too. Then I will make you pay for yours afterwards.""Ah jinjja!" She slapped my arm teasingly, then I remembered the main reason I came. "Seohyun-ah, do you know where Tiffany is right now? Can you take me to her?"

The kind maknae led me through a sea of staff, busy going about the set, carrying some props and coordinating through their headsets. I noticed the theme of the photoshoot was summer on the beach. The staff had a backdrop of the shore adorned with palm trees, complete with a view of bright blue ocean waters. They also hung white sheets that serve as makeshift curtains on bamboo poles and set up a couple of rattans and a table decorated with tall glasses of colorful, refreshing fruit shakes with tiny umbrellas resting on the rim. It was in that same moment that I also observed what Yuri, Yoona and Seohyun were wearing and simultaneously realized the motif of the girls' clothes: white and flowy blouses and light gowns, something that epitomizes "goddesses of the beach". Even if I was temporarily preoccupied with how gorgeous the girls will complement this bright set, I was careful not to step over all the cords and plugs. Yoona trailed behind us, carrying the other drinks.

 

Seohyun brought me to the back of the studio, where there were several changing rooms. I took a peek at the few that were open: one on the right had Sunny playing video games and Taeyeon next to her, working on her coloring book. Yoona ducked in and set their drinks on the table. Seeing the frappes, Taeyeon looked up quickly and mouthed "thanks" at me. In the adjacent room were Sooyoung and Hyoyeon, already dressed and getting their hair and makeup done. Yuri handed them their drinks, saying it's from me. I peeked in and yelled as I passed "Yah Choi Sooyoung!! We're even now, okay?" and ran out before I heard a diss, demanding more for her Cupid act last night. The changing room at the back has Yoona, Seohyun and Tiffany. I distributed to the two youngest their drinks and set the last one on the nearest dresser.

 

Tiffany was sitting and listening to something intently on her phone. I crept up behind her and covered her eyes. She was startled but she did not put up a fight. I removed one earphone, then leaned in closer to her ear and whispered "It's me," and left a quick peck on her cheek before letting go. I can hear sounds of disgust mixed with glee from Yoona and Seohyun. Tiffany removed her other earphone and turned to face me, smiling sweetly from ear to ear. "Jagi~ what brings you here? I thought you'd be resting."

I handed her the last frappe and she took it cheerfully, squealing and even dancing a bit in her chair. As she started sipping and assumed her sitting position from earlier, I stood close to her back again and this time, wrapped my arms around her, resting my chin on the crown of her head.

I took a good, long look at her in the mirror. She was fully dolled up for the shoot. Even when she wore a simple, white jacket with denim shorts and a few gold  bangles, and her voluminous, auburn hair ending with luscious curls...I was very certain; she was the most splendid beach goddess out of all the goddesses in here.

"I thought you guys could use a pick-me up. And besides, I really really missed my girlfriend." Tiffany gripped my arm tightly, signalling that she felt the same, and thankful for the drink too. But right then, she stood up abruptly, making me take a few steps back.

"AH!! That's right. There's something I want to give you," her voice trailed away as she walked over to her huge pink bag on the opposite side of the room, digging through its contents for something. Curious about what it was, I looked over to Yoona and Seohyun for a hint, but they silently got up and left, exchanging mischievous smiles.

 

Tiffany brought out a black velvet box, and handed it to me. "Open it, jagi. It's yours." Raising my eyebrows, I took the box and unveiled a luxurious, rose gold necklace with a peculiar pendant: a small amethyst gemstone, shining the perfect hue of my favorite color purple, encapsulated by a shape that resembles half a heart. It was a very beautiful necklace indeed; I was overwhelmed by all the warm emotions swelling up in me.

"Fany, I absolutely love it! And it's amethyst, you remembered my birthstone! When did you get it?"

Tiffany took the box from me, removed the necklace and made me stand in front of the dresser. "Hold your hair up for a while, jagi." I watched her in the mirror as she dangled the necklace around my neck, and placed the lock. She took a step back to observe my reaction in the mirror. I fixed my hair and admired myself as well, then I continued to play with the pendant.

"I got this a few weeks ago, after the girls convinced me that it was time to fix us. It just reminded me of you, when I saw that shade of purple which I'm sure you love. I planned to give this last night but I stupidly left the box in my drawer at home. At least today I remembered to place it in my bag this time, in case I finished the shoot early and I could go visit you. The pendant is half a heart, because...well, you know where the other half is." She patted her chest. Her eyesmile shone, it was a very happy one, so I widely smiled back. "Happy birthday again, Y/N." This time she hugged me from the back, her arms sliding around my waist. She rested her chin on the space between my neck and shoulder. I placed both my arms on top of hers and held her hands closer to me.

"Jagi, you really made my birthday this year. You're the best. I love you." She giggled and pecked me on the cheek. We stood like that in front of the mirror for a while, completely absorbed in our little bubble of happiness, until someone from the doorway yelled "YAH Y/N IT WILL TAKE MORE THAN ONE FRAPPE TO THANK ME FOR MAKING THIS CHEESY REUNION A SUCCESS", the voice was undeniably Sooyoung's.

Tiffany released me from her back hug and we walked over to Sooyoung as she also entered the room. "Also, Y/N-ah, did you know that Fany also wrote a song about you while you guys weren't okay? She's making me rewrite it to include your name somewhere in the lyrics too---" Tiffany rushed over to her and covered , pushing her blabbing form out the doorway while I stood there, dumbfounded. Tiffany slammed the door behind Sooyoung.

"Jagi, don't panic. I can explain." She sat down on the sofa and patted the space next to her, inviting me over. I started frowning. What about me did she write? Am I the bad guy? Is she 'Taylor Swift'-ing me right now?

 

"Jagi" she looked me straight in the eyes, "I'm not 'Taylor Swift'-ing you, okay?" My frown disappeared; how did she read my mind?

 

"The company gave me the green light to start preparations for my solo album." I suddenly lit up in excitement. "Jagiya, that's great news!! You’ve always hinted at it before but now it's actually happening! Congrats!"

"Well they mostly made me pick from songs that were already written, and I barely got my own songs in. Luckily they agreed to this one, the one I wrote about you." She grabbed her phone and handed me the earphones. "Here, listen to it jagi. I wrote about my feelings during our time apart. I swear, you're not the bad guy." As soon as I settled, she played the demo of her self-written song.

 

Don't know what to do, baby, 'cause I'm not over you

What do I do, baby? You're still the one

And I can't seem to move on from the thought of being apart

I'm sitting here alone and lost and confused, so what do I do~

 

I listened intently, absorbing the lyrics while getting lost in the R&B synth pop sound. She really put her thoughts and feelings in the song. It made me feel guilty at first, learning more of her side, but I oddly felt proud that I was the inspiration for the verses. The pop sound of the track definitely matches the lyrics and the song overall is totally her style. This song is definitely Tiffany. When the music stopped, I took the earphones out and she looked at me shyly. "I was about to give you the heads up but, jinjja, that Sooyoung. She's actually rewriting it in Korean, and it's gonna be in the tracklist as well...so is it okay with you that this song will be included in my solo album?"

I chuckled at the prospect. Korea and all the international fans out there will hear this story. But they won't know it's me. Not right away at least.

"Jagi you know I’m supporting you always. Of course it's fine. But when you win at the year-end awards for being the best rookie with the best album because of this song, you'll give me some of the royalties, okay?"