end

You're Not You When You're Hungry...

It all started with Taehyung being really hungry.

Not just a little bit peckish, or that feeling you get when your body tells you to fill it with junk food because that's obviously going to fulfil you...

A real deep hunger that came from an entire day without food, the type of hunger that sort of feels like it's clawing and gnawing at your insides.

He was pretty sure his stomach had somehow ingested one of his kidneys in order to keep him standing at the bus station.

Because the problem was he was still a 10 minute wait, a 15 minute bus ride and a 2 minute walk from his campus (don't ask him to tell you how many full minutes that was, he was an art student not a mathematician for god sake).

So make that potentially both his kidneys and half his spleen to be digested by his stomach by the time he got to his dorm's fridge.

Whatever the spleen actually was, don't ask him, he was an art student not a biologist...

8 minutes till the bus arrived and Taehyung was close to running to the nearest takeaway shop (20 minutes fast walk down the road, can be pushed to 16 if person is very determined or has good calf muscles.

If calf muscles are the bottom-of-leg ones? Don't ask Taehyung...) when God decided to shine his almighty light upon the poor suffering lad.

The light came in the form of Taehyung's best friend and probably-an-actual-angel Park Jimin.

In Taehyung's hunger fuelled daze he practically lunged himself at the shorter man, clawing at the bag in his hand for any scrap of food he might find.

'Hi too you too Tae, what the hell... Are you doing?' Jimin laughed slightly, looking down at his friend who was frantically searching through his books for something.

'Food' Was all Taehyung could get out, finally pulling out a very squished protein bar.

Before he could protest about the bar being at least probably 4 months old, Taehyung shoved half of it into his mouth.

He all but moaned around the dry fruity tasting bar, he thought that perhaps it shouldn't be tasting as stale as it was but frankly he really didn't care.

He finished off the rest of the bar as Jimin watcher him in amusement (and mild horror).

'If you get like mega sick from 4 month old protein bar illness don't come runnin' to me man'

Taehyung snorted.

'That's not a real thing... Plus I've eaten much worse...'

Jimin scrunched his nose and grimaced slightly.

'Oh man yeah, I forgot you once ate that cookie Jungkook had shoved down his pants for like 3 hours without him knowing...'

'What? Oh I was thinking of that piece of cheese at Hoseok's party I never realised had been used as a friggin ashtray for the whole night...' Taehyung shuddered at the memory. 'Never let me go anywhere near a cigarette again I swear to god'

'Noted' Jimin took the crumpled up wrapper from Taehyung's hand before leading him to the bus (which had miraculously arrived 4 minutes early... Taehyung wasn't saying that confirmed his theory of Jimin being an angel but, well... Yes). 'Why'd you just gulp down a gross stale protein bar though?'

'Because I was hungry' Taehyung replied, as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

'Ahh ok... Did you pull one of those 'I'm going to spend all day in the studio to finish this artwork because I procrastinated it for 4 weeks?'

'...maybe'

Jimin actually tutted at his best friend before they both found seats on the top half of the bus.

'God Tae, you need to learn how to balance work and play!' Jimin complained, squeezing into the window seat.

'You are such a typical hufflepuff' Taehyung rolled his eyes. 'Always mothering me'

'I take that as a compliment' Jimin retorted, raising his eyebrow. 'And that makes you the most typical ravenclaw out there... Maybe only second to Namjoon'

Taehyung had to agree with that, Kim Namjoon could be simultaneously the smartest person ever and the densest.

Frankly it was commendable and Taehyung would love to become half the man of Namjoon, preferably not the clumsy or hopeless half though.

'Fine ok so next project I'll start it the week we get set it and gradually build it up through the weeks'

'We both know that's a complete lie and you'll just wait until the deadline week and forget to eat for entire days to complete it...'

'You're such a debbie downer' Taehyung grumbled with a pout, fully aware that his best friend was right.

'I'm just telling the truth... You should really remember to eat though imagine if I hadn't turned up today to save you with some crusty stale old fruit bar?'

'I'd have probably eaten the nearest persons hair' Taehyung said, a serious edge to his voice but a slight curve of his mouth suggesting he was joking.

'What if that person had been me?'

Taehyung, still a bit deliriously hungry, leaned closer to Jimin before grabbing a lock of his friends hair in his mouth.

A split second and several things happened.

First, Taehyung slowly registered that his lips were brushing Jimin's temples.

Secondly was the slightly salty taste of his hair (he probably had just come from the gym, because his best friend was one of those freaks that actually liked exercise, go figure?) and some tangy or chemically taste that could only be shampoo.

The last thing he realised was that he kind of didn't want to pull away.

The moment was over pretty soon after, Jimin pushing Taehyung away from him with a laugh.

'Get off me you weirdo' He said with no real malice, wiping at his wet lock of hair with his sleeve.

'Your shampoo tastes like ' Taehyung blurted out.

'Probably why it's called shampoo?'

'Huh... Never thought of that, is that true?'

'Course not, doofus' Jimin continued to laugh. 'I'll try to use a nicer shampoo next time'

Taehyung mumbled a slight thanks, although he knew Jimin was kidding.

They fell into a lull of small talk, silence and banter.

When they arrived at Taehyung's dorm (Jimin's was on the other side of the university but he often spent his evenings at Taehyung's place) he jumped straight to the fridge and grabbed the nearest ready-to-eat piece of food.

Which was was one of his roommates sandwiches.

'Hyejin is gonna kill you...' Jimin shook his head as his friend continued to shove the sandwich into his mouth.

Taehyung shrugged before hastily grabbing the pen they keep by the fridge (because they were a very organised dorm, thank you very much) and hastily scribbling a 'sorry I ate your sandwich will buy you two for tomorrow - mystery person' onto a post it note.

(Jimin had pointed out that signing every note as 'mystery person' in the same handwriting as, well, his handwriting wasn't the best idea. Taehyung had argued that sometimes the most mysterious things in life were those that were staring you right in the face. Jimin dropped the subject after that.)

'Have you eaten? I could make some noodles if you'd like?' Taehyung then asked through half s mouthful of sandwich.

'Nah I'm alright I have a half eaten pasta pot waiting for me back at my dorm'

Taehyung hummed in understanding before pulling out a packet of instant noodles and shoving them in a large mug.

'Words #1 Dad? This isn't yours is it or is there something you're not telling me Kim Taehyung?' Jimin raised his eyebrows as he eyed the mug.

'Jimin, I'm like gayer than... Something really gay, you really think I'd manage to become a dad?' Taehyung tipped some water into the mug before cursing slightly after he realised the water wasn't boiling. 'And this mug was a gift from Jungkook'

'That's not creepy at all... Didn't peg you down for a ' Jimin leaned over the counter to turn on the kettle.

'What no ew!' Taehyung grabbed a few broken pieces of the dried noodles and nibbled at them. 'That's the one kink I don't understand... Well, there's a lot of kinks i don't understand and that's definitely one of them'

'That doesn't explain the mug though?'

Taehyung's reply was interrupted by the kettle, which he hastily grabbed and poured the boiled water into the mug.

'I mean I didn't know you thought of Jungkook like that... Always thought he was a straighty you know?' Jimin continued thoughtfully, watching as Taehyung stirred the noodles to quickly causing the scolding water to flick onto his hand, making him hiss slightly. 'But hey I'm fully supportive of you two, just as long as he doesn't break your heart cos I may be buff but that kids got friggin muscles to the moon and back...'

'Hold on, supportive of what now?' Taehyung frowned, just about to start eating the noodles when he realised he'd forgotten to add the flavour sachet.

'You and Jungkook?' Jimin frowned.

'Me? And... What? Why would you be supportive of us together? Can't you support me as an individual?'

Jimim stared incredulously at his friend for a second, said friend was currently making the most mess ever as he tried to slurp down the noodles.

'Hold up so you're not together you two?'

'Together? As in bf and bf?' Taehyung snorted (which made for an incredibly attractive appearance, especially with the noodle sauce covering around his mouth). 'Don't be disgusting! Jungkook is my adopted son, my tiny child I would never venture into any sort of '

'You calling Jungkook a 'tiny child' is somehow worse than me thinking you were together...' Jimin grimaced slightly.

'Why'd you even think we were together though, he's like the straightest guy in the world'

'I don't know, you just always seem close? And he got you a friggin mug that said 'number 1 dad' that's pretty weird and a bit couple-y'

'But we get each other gifts all the time? Like last week and that muffin'

'It's not a gift when I had to use my own money' Jimin rolled his eyes, shoving Taehyung's arm playfully. 'Besides, it's different with us cos we're besties'

Taehyung grinned back at him, causing Jimin to giggle at his friend.

'How did you manage to make such a mess?' He pulled out a tissue from his bag before leaning closer to Taehyung to wipe the drying noodle sauce from his mouth.

'It's a skill' Taehyung said, accidentally getting a bit of the tissue in his mouth. 'Hope that wasn't your nasty snot covered tissue?'

'Excuse you, my snot is not nasty!' Jimin flicked a piece of the tissue onto Taehyung's face. 'But no, none of my delicious snot for you today'

Taehyung wrinkled his nose at that.

'On no planet is snot delicious'

'Neither is hair but that didn't stop you munching through mine'

Taehyung spluttered, he had momentarily forgot his strange act early that evening.

'I was proving a point...'

Jimin hummed disbelievingly before rummaging through his bag for his phone.

He finally found it and sighed.

'Think I'm gonna have to go, apparently one of my roommates is eyeing up my pasta pot eagerly'

'Gasp! You must be on your way, then, to save the damsel in distress!' Taehyung said in a mock dramatic voice.

'I will return, but only when my princess is safe' Jimin replied, putting on his own mock distraught flair. 'Fare thee well!'

With that he left Taehyung alone in his dorm kitchen (although Hyejin arrived a few minutes later and gave Taehyung a death glare as she read the note left in the place her sandwich).

A few days of deadline week pass, none of them as eventful as the first, and Taehyung hadn't been as hungry as that day due to actual angel Park Jimin bringing in parcels of food to the art studio.

And he had to admit, not feeling like he was going to combust from lack of food definitely improved his artistic endeavours.

On the thursday of that week, however, Jimin had been unable to bring anything to the art block so Taehyung arrived at the bus stop that evening very hungry.

His saviour wasn't there this time, but for some reason his hunger fuelled brain was leading him to Jimin's side of the university.

(The bus ride had gone by in a blur of extremely loud belly rumbles and Taehyung beadily watching the woman 3 seats down as she ate a packet of crisps. If he were less civilised he was sure he would've pounced on her in order to claim his food prize.)

Once he reached Jimin's dorm door he realised that Jimin might not even be home, which would be slightly embarrassing.

Luckily, he was in.

'Tae? What're you doin' here?' Jimin said confusedly, standing to the side to let Taehyung in anyway.

'Can't I pop round to visit my best friend?' Taehyung asked in a mock hurt voice.

'Hmm you want something don't-' Jimin was cut off by a particularly loud rumble of Taehyung's stomach. 'Oh my god, Tae, I go one day without getting you food at lunch and your practically starve yourself!?'

'Hey I didn't do it on purpose! I have a deadline you know' Taehyung half whined.

'Yes I know, the whole world knows you've literally not talked about anything else over the past few days' Jimin led Taehyung to his room, ignoring the latter's protests at wanting to go to the kitchen. 'I'm not letting you raid my dorm-mates food because I'll get the blame'

'I thought you were a hufflepuff you're supposed to me nice why are you mean to me'

'Hufflepuff's can be mean we're just nice about it'

'Sneaky more like'

Jimin simple smiled before pushing Taehyung firmly down onto his bed.

'Now, stay here whilst I go make you something...'

Taehyung nodded obediently, using any last remaining dotes of self control to stop himself from commenting on how Jimin was acting like a 50's housewife.

Feeling restless, Taehyung decided to nosy around in Jimin's room (because although they didn't hold any secrets from each other, he still liked to believe there were new things he could discover bout the other male).

Unfortunately, he could find nothing of interest.

The only place left to mooch around in was under his bed.

Taehyung had just gotten his whole head under the slats when a voice from above cleared it's throat.

Banging his head in the process, he looked up to see Jimin standing over him with a plate in his hand.

And a disapproving expression on his face.

'I um was looking for your stash?' Was the first thing Taehyung's brain supplied his mouth with.

' stash? Are you living in the 70's no one has stashes these days, Tae' To Taehyung's relief, Jimin's playful expression had returned.

'You never know, what if there's a power cut and I need something to get me going to keep from dying of boredom?' Taehyung eyed the plate of food (which he half processed was a salad, which would've disgusted him at any other time). 'You're supposed to be my night in shining armour who rescues me'

'What? A knight in shining armour but the armour is actually clippings from mags?'

'Yes! Oh my god you're a genius! Why aren't you with me in the art department? We could be a formidable duo like... Holmes and Watson or... Rosemary and Thyme... Or Mulder and Scully!'

Jimin snorted before handing the plate of salad (along with a packet of crisps because he knew that Taehyung just craved anything that would definitely lead to future diabetes or heart attacks) to Taehyung.

'I don't do art because I can't draw for ... Plus why were all your duos detectives?'

'Why not? The best duos on tv have been crime fighting ones'

'You're such a goof' Jimin said suddenly, with an expression that could only be described as 'fond' as he reached onto his desk to grab his laptop. 'Now shut up and eat your food, some of us have assignments to finish'

'You know I do- oh you mean you...' Taehyung leaned over to look at the half filled Word page. 'Hold on, didn't you start this on Monday?'

Jimin blushed slightly.

'Perhaps... I was gonna work on it in my breaks but I kept visiting the art department instead...'

'Oh so it's my fault is it' Taehyung sat back down and practically inhaled the salad before opening the packet of crisps and starting on them.

'If you get indigestion then don't blame me' Jimin warned, typing almost furiously.

'I would never blame you for anything, you are completely blameless. You, my Jiminie Cricket are the kindest and sweetest soul in the entire world' Taehyung illustrated his point by leaning his head onto Jimin's shoulders and nuzzling at his hair slightly. 'You could commit murder and it still wouldn't be your fault you are-'

'Alright alright, kiss , I get it' Jimin laughed, prodding at Taehyung's nose slightly.

For some reason at that point Taehyung's subconscious decided it wanted to sniff Jimin's hair.

So he did.

It had a different smell this time, probably a different shampoo. And the smell was a lot stronger probably because he had washed it more recently.

And the smell was actually nice... Not the weird chemically concoction from Monday, but something sweeter.

Almost like honey, or vanilla it was hard to tell.

'Are you sniffing my hair?' Jimin asked, not pulling his head away but he had stopped typing.

'Maybe...' Taehyung figured that it was no use lying at this point as that would only lead to more embarrassment. 'You used a different shampoo...'

Jimin nodded before carrying on with his typing, apparently unfazed.

Taehyung left his 'I kind of wanna see if it tastes as good as it smells' because wanting to someone else's hair was very odd.

And even Taehyung's oddball status wouldn't be able to cope.

The next day was deadline day (and although the deadline was officially at 6pm, most tutors accepted work between then and midnight because they understood that most students were massive procrastinators) and Taehyung was mildly stressed.

Mildly as in not very mild at all.

Mild as in actually beyond stressed at this point.

Every other day that week he'd been able to give him a few hours break in the evenings to eat and relax (probably watching reruns of Sherlock series 1&2, because it was the only box set he had bothered to buy and searching for shows to watch illegally online was such a pain).

But on deadline day it was well gone 8pm and he was still in the open-all-hours library writing up his thesis for the project.

(Because despite his subject being art, there was still an unnerving amount of paperwork that they needed to do for it).

He had gone through about 7 bottles of water throughout the day, meaning the only disrupts to his working were bathroom breaks.

But having eaten nothing bar a pack of stale peanuts (which he had found at the bottom of his bag roughly 4 hours before) since 8 that morning, he was feeling beyond delirious.

9pm and he was almost done writing (well, as much as he could tell because his brain had stopped processing the words he was typing several hours ago. For all he knew he could've been writing out the lyrics to every song from The Lion King the whole time).

9:15pm and he sends off the file to his tutor and chugs down the last mouthful of water from his 8th bottle.

9:30pm he sighs as he realises all the buses that went straight from campus to the dorms would've stopped running so he would have to walk.

9:35pm he packs up his things, his vision blurry and had he always had that tremor in his left hand?

9:40pm and he passes out.

A passer by must've been watching him, as by 9:50pm they had managed to scroll through his phone and find the last messages person in the hope they'd be able to help the poor sod.

(Lucky for them he didn't have a password on his phone, because passwords make everything much more longwinded then it needed to be).

And lucky for Taehyung the last person he had messaged had been Jimin.

The exact message was something along the lines of 'IT'S D DAY AND THE D STANDS FOR MY DEATH BYE SEE YOU IN HEAVEN BEAUTIFUL ANGEL MAN' which may have been slightly embarrassing for the passerby to see.

Thankfully they weren't there when Taehyung came too.

Actual Angel Park Jimin was there, though, and Taehyung felt slightly better even with the pounding in his head and the dryness in his mouth.

And the insanely loud rumbles of his stomach.

'You alright there?' Jimin asks in a gentle voice.

Taehyung made a garbled sound that was vaguely a yes and vaguely a 'huh?' before nodding.

'Let's get you home then, hmm? I'll make you something small to eat...' He carefully helped to pull Taehyung into a sitting position (because he'd somehow slumped onto the floor like a bag of potatoes) and then secured his arm around Taehyung's waist and half led and half dragged the other man towards the library exit.

Taehyung found his nose pressed into the Jimin's head, and through his dazed brain began to mumble about how his hair smelt good.

'Alright, Tae, but please don't eat my hair... Not really sure if hair has any nutritious value at all to be quite honest'

Taehyung decided if Jimin wasn't going to let him eat his hair then he would have to it instead.

Yes that was definitely the logical thing to do...

And so he did.

And Jimin stopped abruptly.

'Did you just my hair?'

Taehyung didn't reply and continued to at the side of Jimin's hair.

'Taehyung, Tae, TaeTae, please um' Jimin stuttered slightly as he tried to push Taehyung's head away.

Taehyung just whined but let himself be pushed away from the hair (which, if you ask Taehyung, tasted like salt and chemicals and really he would not recommend it to anyone).

To be honest, Taehyung wasn't sure why his hunger filled brain wanted him to eat hair but at some point it became more about it wanting to eat Jimin's hair.

Whether it was some unsolved case of oblivious love and pining, or something else more sinister (were these the first stages of learning whether he was a cannibal?!) Taehyung wasn't sure.

But really being sure about things was never his forte.

Somehow he was back at his dorm (he was unsure how, though he vaguely registered getting onto the back of Jimin's fold-up pushbike and clinging onto the shorter male as he cycled) and being fed some sort of soup.

'They always say not to give too much food to people who've been fasting or have been starved...' Jimin was saying (and perhaps he had been talking before but honestly Taehyung can't remember). 'So I figured soup'd be a good way to go.'

Taehyung then realised Jimin was spooning the soup into his mouth like he was a small child, or a very old pensioner.

'I can do-' Taehyung reached out his hand to take the spoon only to have it batted away by Jimin's smaller fingers.

'Shut up and let me mother you' He scolded. 'Did you manage to get your project finished, lil baby waby?'

'Now look who has the ?' Taehyung replied through a mouthful of soup.

'If you call me daddy I'm gonna shove this spoon-' Jimin waved the spoon in Taehyung's face.

'I wont I wont!' Taehyung hastily said. 'And yeah, I did.. I think... I sorta blanked out about 7pm and kinda have no idea what I did after that...'

'You're such a sometimes you know?'

'Yeah but you love it'

'Maybe a lil bit' Jimin grinned. 'Not sure if I love it when your my hair...'

Taehyung blushed a bright red as he was reminded of his strange acts.

'I thought we agreed not to talk about that...'

'I agreed to nothing of the sort'

'Yeah, but it was implied... Part of the bro-code or something'

'Is a part of the bro-code too?'

'Oh my god you're so embarrassing I was just hungry and your hair smelt good-' Taehyung cut himself off as he realised what he'd just said, resorting to stuttering slightly. 'I mean in- in my I was delirious and you I mean you tasted weird not that I- I remember or um...'

'Tae, it's fine' Jimin interrupted firmly, a weirdly knowing smile on his face.

What he knew Taehyung wasn't sure about.

Taehyung finished the soup and his stomach felt slightly less like it was trying to eat itself (or his other organs), thankfully.

'I could do with like a giant burger right now you know'

'An burger? Sounds delicious' Jimin joked, giving his friend a greasy wink.

'God, are you in like a super embarrassing or cheesy mood today?'

Jimin didn't reply and just started clearing up after Taehyung.

'Don't do that again though, I mean what if I hadn't been here to hand feed you soup? You could've fallen down anywhere...' Jimin looked over at Taehyung, no longer smiling. 'Tae, you've really gotta be more careful...'

'Hey you know me, Jiminie, I'm always fine in the end...' Taehyung said softly, disliking the hint of pain in his friends voice.

'I'm just worried that one day I wouldn't be there to, I don't know, save you or something...' Jimin mumbled half to himself and half to the bowl he was , refusing to turn to look at Taehyung as he scrubbed.

Taehyung sighed at Jimin's back before standing up and walking over to his friend.

He snakes his arms around Jimin's shorter frame, putting his chin on his shoulder.

Jimin jumped slightly at first before sinking back into his friends embrace.

'You don't need to save me... And I'd never want to put you in any situation like that... I'm just stupid you know that'

Jimin sighed and turned his head to look Taehyung in the face.

'That's true... I just don't wanna lose you, idiot'

'That was almost sweet, you going soft Park Jimin?' Taehyung joked, detaching himself from Jimin as he felt the other man's elbow start to dig into his side threateningly.

'In you dreams, Kim Taehyung'

 

A week goes by with little changes.

After the horror of the last week, Taehyung had given himself (well, the university had given it to all students because they understood 'all work and no play makes students slightly insane') a small break.

His break took the form of spending time watching tv (he had been leant series' 3&4 of Sherlock which would hopefully keep him occupied for a few hours), eating copious amounts of junk and hanging out with his few university friends.

'Let's play 'would you rather'' Jungkook piped up from his position on Jimin's bed on one particular hanging out.

'What are you, 14? We're not playing that' Yoongi, a 3rd year music major, grumbled not even glancing up from his phone.

'Well no one else is coming up with anything other than being on our phones...'

'Would you rather not play 'would you rather' or be on our phones?' Was Yoongi's reply.

'We could watch tv?' Was Taehyung's suggestion.

'No, Tae, we'll only end up arguing about what to watch and there's never anything on anyway' Jimin mumbled sleepily from his position leaning on Taehyung's shoulder.

'What about I Spy?'

Jimin poked Taehyung's side, causing the latter to flinch.

'What? It's a perfectly reasonable suggestion' Taehyung said.

'If we were little kids maybe'

'Well some of us are little' Taehyung joked, nudging and winking at Jungkook in a 'hey we're taller than these short-asses' way.

Jungkook responded by giving Taehyung a high-five.

They received death glares from their two other friends (Yoongi's was far more intimidating than Jimin's but Taehyung would never tell Jimin that).

'Well I Spy with my little eye someone who's about to get slapped' Jimin lifted his head from Taehyung's shoulder to look at him pointedly.

'Aww Jiminie Cricket you know I'm only kidding' Taehyung teased, patting his friends cheek.

'I could just tell these two about your weird hair kink' Jimin smirked.

Taehyung froze, looking at Jimin wearily as of judging whether his friend would do something so evil.

'Hair kink?' Yoongi's interest was piqued at Jimin's words and he finally shut his phone off.

Taehyung gave Jimin a look of 'you wouldn't'.

Jimin gave him a look of 'I totally would' back, which was hopefully mixed with 'but maybe that doesn't mean I should'.

'I'd tell you but I think Tae might kill me'

'Is it a thing?' Jungkook asked, his eyebrows raised in an almost alarmed expression.

'What! No!' Taehyung practically shouted. 'It's not a kink it was just a thing I did when I was hungry it's really not that bad'

He huffed, refusing to look any of the others in the eye.

'Ok now I don't really wanna no' Jungkook wrinkled his nose.

'Oh I totally wanna know' Yoongi countered, a mischievous glint in his eye.

'I'll spare Tae the embarrassment' Jimin said, patting Taehyung on the head in a slightly patronising way.

'Aww boo you're boring!' Yoongi grumbled. 'You're only sparing his modesty because he's your boyfriend'

Both Taehyung and Jimin froze, looked at each other then looked incredulously at Yoongi.

'What?' Was all Jimin could ask.

'Jimin's not my boyfriend?' Taehyung said at the same time, laughing nervously.

'Really?! I've thought you've been dating the whole time I've known you!' Jungkook exclaimed.

Yoongi hummed in agreement.

'What!? You're both crazy! Jimin is my number one best friend, my bruva from anuva muva, my soulmate, my-'

'Alright Tae, I think they get the picture' Jimin interrupted his friend, laughing and blushing slightly. 'But yeah we're just friends, guys...'

'Well my bad...' Jungkook mumbled awkwardly. 'I've just never seen either of you with anyone else that's all...'

'It's practically impossible to find anyone to date these days, most gay guys are either taken, so far in the closet that they're having tea with Aslan or not my type...' Taehyung complained.

'I didn't know you had a 'type'?' Jimin frowned at his friend. 'I swear any guy you meet you're like 'no they're too tall' or 'his eyes are too close together' or that one guy who was 'too hipster even for you''

'Hey I'm allowed to be choosy with someone who's going to be the love of my life!' Taehyung exclaimed indignantly. 'Plus you're not much better! There was that guy who had a crush on you but you told me he had the same name as someone who'd bullied you in school so you refused to go out with him'

'I have bad memories with that name it's a perfectly reasonable reason not to go out with him'

'What about Chanyeol?' Taehyung said in a tone that would warrant a hand on his hip (if he wasn't sitting down).

Jimin mumbled incoherently.

'Sorry what was that?' Taehyung teased, cupping his hand away from his ear.

'I... His ears were too big' Jimin said a bit louder, blushing furiously.

Taehyung looked to Yoongi and Jungkook with his arms held up as if to say 'and you think I'm bad'.

'Let's play that game of would you rather now, eh?' Jimin said hastily, trying to steer the topic to something else.

Their conversations moved onto other frivolous things, but Taehyung wasn't really paying attention.

He'd never really thought about Jimin in that way before and he wasn't sure how to feel at that moment.

Sure Jimin was a attractive, a blind man could see that, and had the personality of the kindest person on earth mixed with a cheeky child.

But dating him? Wouldn't that be weird and feel kinda ?

Plus Taehyung was always so insecure about relationships, worried that he'd be too weird or too lanky or too 'Taehyung' for his future partner.

Taehyung, deep in thought, began to eye the side of Jimin's head (the same patch with the bit of hair he'd twice now).

He loved his best friend but that was surely purely only platonic bro love? They're so close because they don't conform to the anti-bro love society that doesn't allow men to show each other affection (unless it's slapping each other's shoulders).

Just bros being bros.

Dudes being dudes.

Guys being guys...

'You alright Tae?' Jimin's voice cut through his haze, and Taehyung focused his attention now onto his friends confused and slightly anxious face.

A face that was kinda cute... But that's just objective right? You don't have to be interested romantically to appreciate a cute face Taehyung was sure.

And even if Jimin always seemed to fall into every category of his ideal type (shorter than him, cute, killer bod, actual angel, playful as heck, etc) that was just because he put every other person he'd want in his life up against Jimin, the best person in his life.

It was a test, right? If you pass the Jimin-test and are as much like Jimin as possible then you have permission to have me.

It's just logical... Probably something a modern day Freud would argue.

(On second thoughts, a modern day Freud would definitely argue all Taehyung's male partner fantasies come from his dad...)

Taehyung was so lost in his thoughts that he had forgotten Jimin had asked him a question, and was currently waving his arms frantically in front of his face.

'Earth to Kim Taehyung!' He half yelled.

'Huh? Oh um I'm fine' Taehyung said too late, clearing his throat awkwardly and looking away from his friends face. 'What were you guys saying?'

'Well, Jungkook here thinks that Moffat ruined Doctor Who, and the only good thing he brought to it was a few interesting monsters, but I say that if you look past some of the bad written characters and over complicated plots it's actually still just as good as Russell T Davies era...' Jimin started waving his hands enthusiastically as he explained. 'And even some of the plot-lines and characters are really interesting... Right Tae?'

Jimin was looking expectantly at him to back him up, because that's what they did.

They were partners in crime, two peas in a pod, they stuck by each other through thick and thin. And no weird internal crisis would stop that...

Hopefully.

'Of course!' Taehyung said in reply, moving forward to wrap an arm around Jimin's shoulders. 'Some of my favourite episodes come from Moffat's writing, even some from Davies era people seem to forget about that... Though I'm not defending him for some things because what the hell did he do to Clara's character seriously poor Jenna...'

Their argument continued for another 20 minutes before they decided to call it a night and they each headed back to their own dorms, except Jimin and Taehyung.

'You still alright, Tae? You've been acting a lil off this evening' Jimin asked with concern.

'Yeah I'm fine was just... Thinking that's all'

Jimin mock gasped.

'Wowza! You? Thinking?? I don't believe it!'

'Oh ha ha hilarious' Taehyung deadpanned. 'That's the kind of joke my dad would make'

'You're not starting this daddy thing again are you?' Jimin raised an eyebrow playfully at his friend.

'Oh my god, you're terrible!' Taehyung laughed, pushing the other with his shoulder.

He then hesitated, wanting to tell his friend his troubles like he always did but unsure about how to go about it since the troubles involved said friend.

'Hypothetically, if you had a friend who you spent all your time with and who you loved with the burning power of 1000 suns, platonically, you always thought... Would you tell them that maybe it's not so platonic or would that be weird?' Taehyung asked slowly, trying to sound as much like he wasn't talking about himself and Jimin.

'Hypothetically? I would tell the friend and hope they felt the same way... Cos the strongest friendship wouldn't just break up over a lil one sided crush I'm sure...' Jimin replied.

Taehyung nodded thoughtfully at that before changing the subject.

'Anyway, how's your dance project coming along?'

A groan from Jimin made him smile slightly, preparing himself for the rant that was about to come.

 

Several months go by after that, with nothing of real significance happening (unless you count Taehyung going out to buy several box-sets of Doctor Who, Game of Thrones and The Simpsons...)

Taehyung would be lying if he said he never thought about the mini crisis he had had before, and the advice Jimin had given him, but with new assignments and projects being started there was less and less time to just hang out with Jimin.

One particular day started with Taehyung feeling hungry from the start (somewhere on tv that told him he wasn't getting enough decent quality of sleep, he would say staying awake till 3am to take care of a Sim family was much more important than sleep. Morning him didn't agree).

So after a rushed breakfast, he headed straight to the studio.

He'd made a deal with Jimin that term to try not to leave all the work till the deadline week, and so far he was doing alright.

That was, until that day.

The rushed breakfast meant he was hungry again within a few hours, and he was struggling to focus on his project (something to do with arms? Why were there arms everywhere? Or maybe they were tentacles? Maybe it was a statement on ? He really couldn't say at that point).

He may have sent a text to Jimin, something about meeting up later (although hungry him may have written meating, he wasn't sure).

And it was then when he realised he had left his wallet at home.

His wallet with his student card, his credit card, his money (which, admittedly, wasn't much) and basically everything he needed to survive at the university for the full day.

No money meant no coffee or snacks, and no card meant he would have to walk back to his dorms (he always walked to the campus first thing since Jimin always nagged him to keep active. Fat lot of good that extra exercise was doing him now!)

Safe to say that this occupied his thoughts for most of the rest of the day, only interrupted by the small rumbles in his stomach.

He was half dreading his meet up with Jimin later, partly because the latter would give him a disapproving look of 'what did I tell you about looking after yourself young man?'.

And partly because he was scared hungry him would want to Jimin's hair again.

Or his nose, or pinky finger, or other strange thoughts like that.

5pm ticked by and Taehyung decided to pluck up the courage and meet up with Jimin (and maybe beg some food from him... And hopefully keep his tongue in his mouth).

He gave Jimin a quick text to say 'by bus' before staggering his way to said bus stop.

Jimin was already at the stop when he arrived, meaning he had no chance to rearrange his appearance (which he was sure was a slightly 'just been pulled through a bush' aesthetic).

So Jimin had a knowing look on his face, knowing and disapproving.

'You forgot to eat didn't you' It was a statement, not a question.

Taehyung just smiled sheepishly as his stomach decided it was perfect timing for a loud gurgle.

'It wasn't on purpose, you see I left my card at hom-'

Jimin held up his hand, an exasperated smile on his face.

'Look I'll just take us out for food'

Taehyung actually gasped, pulling his smaller friend into a bone crushing hug (although the muscles on Jimin would probably mean Taehyung would be the one getting squished).

'Oh my god you actual angel, you're the kindest most beautiful person on this planet I' Taehyung babbled, burying his face into the side of Jimin's head.

'Alright, alright' Jimin laughed, pushed Taehyung off of him. 'You owe me though'

'I'll buy you lunch every week for a day' Taehyung mumbled, following Jimin as he started brisk walking towards the town.

(Jimin didn't have to walk with him since he had his student card, but Taehyung appreciated him staying with him).

'Tae, you can barely afford to feed yourself everyday, so no'

'What about... Hugs? I'll pay you in hugs' Taehyung illustrated his point by tightly wrapping himself around Jimin's back.

'You hug me all the time anyway, look I was only kidding you don't have to pay me back' Jimin prodded Taehyung in the cheek as they turned into the town centre. 'I'm just being a super duper nice best friend'

He over-dramatically fluttered his eyelashes and flicked his nonexistent long hair at Taehyung.

'You be careful, walking around with that big head is dangerous you know' Taehyung joked.

They arrived at the nearest takeaway and quickly ordered something before settling down on a cold park bench, huddled together as they scoffed down the junk food.

'This feels so gross eating all this grease, but I kinda love it' Jimin said through a mouthful of fries.

Taehyung hummed in agreement, already having finished all of his burger and half his chips.

'Did that hypothetical situation ever get sorted out, by the way?' Jimin asked suddenly, stopping Taehyung as he shoves 5 fries into his mouth at once.

'Whaugh?' He asks, oil all over his face and his hair somehow much messier than before.

Jimin giggled at the ridiculous appearance of his friend, pulling out a tissue from his pocket and wiping the grease covering all of his mouth up to his nose (and also on his forehead, surprisingly).

'Yeah, that hypothetical thong where a friend may have been like in love or something with another friend but they were scared to confront the other?'

Taehyung froze, gulped (though that may have been from the fries) before looking Jimin in the eyes finally.

He knew, oh god he definitely knew!

'Um... It um hypothetically of course it hasn't... Didn't happen...' He stuttered, scratching his nose awkwardly.

'Why's that?' Jimin asked, in a tone of voice that sound much too like a councillor or his mum.

'Just... The person, hypothetical person, was scared and I don't know they didn't... don't know their feelings?'

Jimin just nodded almost solemnly at that, grabbing a fry and chewing it thoughtfully.

'Well, I think hypothetical person should talk friend... Because friend is understanding and hypothetical person should know that friend might be going through the same questions and crisis'' Jimin now refused to look Taehyung in the eye but they both knew, both knew they were no longer talking hypothetically.

'Ok...' Taehyung gulped again, this time it had nothing to do with the food. 'Um ok um so un hypoth- I mean me... I- I- I'm the but I... I don't know how to um say the um things...'

He trailed off, refusing to look at Jimin (who was now looking at him with a look that could only be described as fond).

'It's ok I understand... Maybe I mean I don't understand what you just said, and frankly I don't understand you 80% of the time but that's ok because I... God this is gonna sound gross and cheesy but I want to spend the rest of my life getting that down to 40%' Jimin said, nervousness evident in his voice. 'I really like you Tae, like in the like like way you know? And I really really hope you like me too because otherwise I've been reading all of this so so wron-'

Jimin was cut off as a pair of lips fell on top of his.

A pair of lips that were still slightly greasy from the fries, ones that remained mostly closed keeping the kiss chaste.

Lips that belonged to Kim Taehyung, his best friend.

They pulled apart, smiling giddily at each other.

'What made you realise I might feel the same? I mean I only just realised it!' Taehyung asked, slightly delirious but this time not from hunger.

'When you first ate my hair' Jimin said with a mostly straight face. 'There was a hunger in your eyes I hadn't seen before and I knew then that 'oh my god, he wants me''

Taehyung blinked once before Jimin bursts into laughter.

'I'm kidding, Tae, I just... Felt it I don't know? And then when Yoongi and Jungkook pointed out they thought we were together I just...' He shrugged, grinning at his friend. 'The eating hair thing was kinda weird though, that's not like a kink of yours is it?'

'No!' Taehyung half yelled, before lowering his voice as he realised they were in public. 'Of course not I just... Get weird when I'm hungry'

'Yeah, I know...' Jimin gave him a strange look.

'What?' Taehyung raised his eyebrows at his friend. 'Is there something on my face?'

Jimin didn't say anything and instead leant in, looking into Taehyung's eyes as if for permission.

Taehyung nodded, a little unsure of what he was agreeing to.

Jimin went even further forward before capturing Taehyung's lips in another kiss.

This time Jimin opened his mouth and let Taehyung tilt his head so their lips aligned even closer.

Taehyung poked his tongue into his friends mouth, bringing his hand to the back of Jimin's head and gripping slightly at his hair as they moved their mouths against each others.

Jimin sighed contentedly into the kiss, letting Taehyung and taste all around his mouth.

Taehyung never thought that kisses were very well described in literature, there was never any fireworks or strange tastes of earth or exotic flowers.

There was only the taste of whatever the person had last eaten or drunk (fries, burger and lots of ketchup on both sides) and the feeling of the sticky heat of saliva.

To be honest it was kind of a gross thing for humans to do; but frankly as Taehyung and Jimin twist their head from side to side and explore every crevice of each other's mouths, they really couldn't care less about the grossness of kissing.

They pulled apart after a few more minutes, both gasping for air (Taehyung more than Jimin, unsurprisingly).

'Wow' Was all Taehyung could say.

Jimin whistled softly in agreement.

'Why the hell didn't we do that sooner?'

'Heteronormativity, homophobia and obliviousness?' Taehyung supplied.

'Probably...'

They eyed each other, the half eaten food forgotten on their laps between them, before leaning in for another passionate make out session.

This time when they pulled apart, both a bit glassy eyed and breathing heavily, Jimin gave Taehyung a smirk.

'Better?' He asked, picking up a now slightly cold fry and popping it in his mouth.

Taehyung watched the action and suddenly felt hungry again.

But maybe not as hungry for food as he was before.

'Better' Was his firm reply, grinning back at Jimin.

And it may have been an unorthodox way of falling in love, but it was ultimately Taehyung and Jimin.

And really that's all that matters in love...


a/n-

i have NO idea what this is

hope u enjoyed it tho?