Chapter Two: A New Life

Glass Clockwork

Chapter Two: A New Life

 

Mirai’s head was spinning. There were quite a number of young men who worked and lived here. The ages went from around five to the early twenties. However, Mirai found herself liking most of them.

 

They were all gathered in the front parlor, a wide room with many windows to let in the natural light. Most of them were dressed in work clothing.

 

“Most of us work in the shop. We help put the inventions together or help to build the parts. Some of us are teachers to the younger ones” explained a kind man named Inoo Kei. Mirai liked his mushroom shaped hairstyle. Everyone took turns to introduce themselves.

 

“How far have you gone with your schooling?” asked Takki with a bright smile.

 

“I was attending finishing school, but was kicked out due my unladylike behavior. Not like anything at school could have prepared me. I much rather go horseback riding than stay in and do needlework. None the less, I can do the normal cooking and cleaning as well sewing” replied Mirai.

 

“Would you like to continue your learning?”

 

Mirai thought about it. She would like to learn more about the world rather than how to be the perfect wife, but she did not want to be confined to the manor.

 

“I suppose so, but it depend on the lessons.”

 

Takki called out to a young man with a mole under his right eye.

 

“This is Keito, he is one of the smartest ones in this house. Teacher to the younger ones and he will be an excellent one for you all well.”

 

Keito gave Mirai a kind smile.

 

“Tell us more about yourself. I want you to be comfortable here” urged Takki.

“In that case. I hate wearing corsets, they are quite troublesome. I only wear them if truly needed. I like going for walks and spending time in gardens. I have two friends back in town. Umika, her father is a banker, is the definition of a perfect young lady. She is my age, but is in a courtship with a doctor in training.”

 

“Kawashima Umika?” asked a voice near the window. The speaker was short with dark hair and a rather cute face. He is Chinen Yuri Mirai thought to herself. She had seen him in town before. In fact, Mirai realized that she had seen many of them around town.

 

“Yes, do you know her?” asked Mirai. Yuri nodded.

 

“I saw her dancing once. She is light on her feet” noted Yuri. Mirai beamed with pride.

 

“Umika is the dancer and Suzuka, my other friend, is the singer. Her voice is beautiful.”

 

“I took her picture once” said Yuto from the floor. “She is a lovely person.”

 

“I do miss them, but they have their own lives” said Mirai as her thoughts strayed to the times when the three of them would spend every waking second together.

 

“I do not want to intrude, but there are some rules that I must tell you” said Takki. Mirai nodded.

 

“You are not to leave this manor nor property unless someone is with you. The attic and basement are not to be entered. You are allowed into the workshop and the stables. I do expect you to dress and act according when guests are over or when we attend balls and gatherings. Other than that, you may act as you wish and will have free reign over this manor.”

 

Mirai nodded opened , but just then a door was slammed closed. A young man, hair wet and slicked back, marched into the room. His clothes were dirty and a bruise marked his pale face. He had dark, piercing eyes and his jaw was set.

 

“Welcome home, Ryosuke. Will you need help cleaning up?” asked Takki. This man, Ryosuke, shook his head.

 

“No, I will clean myself up. Sorry for being late.” His eyes wandered over to Mirai and she felt a blush rise. He was rather handsome. Ryosuke turned his back and walked out. Takki sighed.

 

“Yuri and Yuto. Please go after him and make sure he is well. I always tell him that he does not need to do this, but he is not the best listener.”

 

The two boys nodded and walked out. Takki turned to Mirai and the rest.

 

“Mirai, you said you know how to cook. Would you like to help with dinner?”

The bathroom was lit by the setting sun as Ryosuke peeled off his clothing and dumped it into the washtub. His body was slender but strong with muscles and marked with scars. 

 

“Ryosuke, what happened this time?” asked Yuri.

 

“The bastard thought he could trick me. Tried to get away. He landed one good punch. No big deal” said Ryosuke as he washed his face. “Whose the girl?”

 

“That is the Master’s distance niece. Her name is Mirai. Her family was killed and now she is living here” answered Yuto.

 

“Killed? How?” asked Ryosuke. He pulled on some fresh clothes.

 

“According to the Master, some creature torn into the home and slaughtered them. Both parents and her little sister” said Yuri.

 

“Do we know what type of creature?”

 

Yuri shook his head. Ryosuke sighed and stood up.

 

“Let’s head down. I want to meet this Mirai properly.”

 

Down in the kitchen, Mirai was up to her elbows in flour. She was in the middle of baking an apple pie with the help of two young men named Kishi and Genki.

 

“You are quite good at this” said Genki as he sliced up the apples.

 

“Why thank you. Cooking is rather fun to me. My mother with my sister and I…we would always cook together” recalled Mirai.

 

“I am sorry if I brought something up that I should have not” apologized Genki.

Mirai shook her head.

 

“It is fine. It had been a month since then. My parents would not want me to be sad all the time. Father use to tell me that I would be something wonderful in the future.”

 

“You have only been here for a few hours, but many of us already like you” said Kishi with a bright smile. 

 

“I suppose that is comforting. I think I will like it here as well.”

 

A loud bell was rung and the sound of running was heard.

 

“That will be the younger ones. Evening lessons are done” noted Genki.

 

Dinner time was…eventful. The table was so long and each place was filled. Mirai counted twenty-five places. She wondered how her uncle managed to feed them all.

 

“There is a vast garden out on the back and the Master is on good terms with the baker and butcher” said Keito as if he read her mind.

 

“I would like to see this garden” said Mirai.

 

“I can take you in the morning to see it. The Master is very proud of it” said Yuto. Yuto was then tackled by a young boy who look very similar to him.

 

“Mirai, this my younger brother Raiya. He is currently taking lessons here. Maybe he’ll work in the shop one day.”

 

Raiya was adorable with round cheeks and wide eyes.

 

“Lovely to meet you. May I ask for a hug?” asked Mirai. Raiya reminded her of her younger sister and her heart clenched painfully as Raiya hugged her back.

 

“How were lessons today?” asked Yuto.

 

“They were ok, but I much rather be out in the stables. Horses are funner than history.”

 

“How are rest doing?” asked Yuri to Keito who smiled tiredly.

 

“Well, Marius is learning faster than everyone. I suppose he will soon be allowed to work in the shop. Yuta was a bit restless today but it was expected, he misses Kishi and Genki since they have moved up. Reia and Katio are doing excellent as well.”

 

“Uncle, you have so many boys here. Do their parents know of this?” asked Mirai.

 

“You may have heard of the rumors, but let me tell you the truth. My home is both a workshop as well as a school. The boys come here when they are young, are taught what they  need to know, and when the time comes, are allowed to stay and work for me or may go out into the world and make their name. Many are successful. The ones who work in the shop have chosen to stay. The rest are still learning.”

 

“Oh…I did not know that. That is very wonderful” said Mirai. 

 

The next few minutes were quiet with the clink of silverware and glasses until a single voice spoke up. It was Ryosuke.

 

“I am sorry for not introducing myself in the proper manner. My name is Yamada Ryosuke.”