재5회

Bad Boy Next Door

Episode 5: A Place Called Home

 

It feels just like yesterday, he was together with his parents like a typical happy family they supposed to be.

 

"Jungkook-ah, don't open your eyes yet, okay?"

Jungkook followed wherever his parents had brought him when they told him to close his eyes when he got inside the car. When they arrived, Jungkook had no idea where they were but he can clearly hear children laughing and the sound of music they always play in the amusement park.

"Okay, you can open your eyes now."

He slowly opening his eyes, revealing the scenery before him; the blurry vision becomes clear when he blinked a few times and was surprised to be greeted by the shimmering lights from his surroundings. He couldn't believe it - the Lotte World of his dream, the Lotte World he always saw the commercial on TV - is now right in front of him and he had already stepped inside the place with his parents on his side.

"Mom, Dad!" He chirped excitedly, "This is the best present ever!"

His parents smiled at the sight of their son looking very happy with the surprise they set up for him -for his tenth birthday.

"Happy Birthday, Jungkook!" His father lifted him up, hugging him simultaneously with his mother watching them with a loving stare. "We will make sure you're going to have fun today!"

His parents are going to make the day the most memorable for their only son Jeon Jungkook. They almost spent the whole day in the amusement park riding the roller coaster Jungkook always bragging about when he saw the commercial on TV. Although his mother couldn't handle it, she was still willing to ride it with him for the second time. They ride the pirate ship that he also saw in the commercial, Jungkook was so happy that he almost jumped off from his own seat out of excitement.

"What do you want to do next? Tell us." His mother crouched down to his level although she already feels drowsy from the previous rides.

Jungkook pouted while looking around. He saw an ice cream truck and immediately pointing at it. "I want ice cream!"

"Okay! Let's go!" His father took his hand and jogged towards the ice cream truck before Jungkook tripped on his own legs and fell to the ground, hurting his chin as the result. He tried to reach for his father's coat but it was no use, it feels like he couldn't get a hold of it anymore as he saw both of his parents slowly fading from his view, leaving him alone.

"Mom, Dad?" He called them, but they didn't turn back to him. The lights that are glittered around him - are slowly turning black and the music and laughter slowly fading in distance.

Leaving him alone in the pit of darkness.

"No! No!" He struggled to get up from where he fell, running towards his parents who don't seem to be turning back to look at him again. "Mom, Dad! No! Don't leave me!" His little feet couldn't catch up with the speed and he eventually fell to the ground again when suddenly his surrounding changes to the scene where the fateful event took place.

He saw lots of cars and including the car that he and his parents ride on the day they go to the Lotte World. The car was flipped upside down, he saw himself being taken by the ambulance. Blood splattered all over the place. He saw his parents - for the last time - lying unconsciously on the ground before the police closed the ambulance door loudly.

 

~*~

 

“No,” He whimpered, “No, don’t leave me. Please.” His voice is desperate, his hands clutching on the bed sheet tightly, “Please, don’t go. No - !” He opened his eyes with a start, sitting up immediately as his blood pumping in rush inside his artery. Jungkook brushed his hand on his sweatshirt, feeling his heart beating almost as if it’s going to come out from his ribcage.

“Was it all a dream?” He stared blankly into space, trying to put the puzzle pieces. The dream feels surreal, he almost ran out of breath. He runs his fingers through his messy bed hair, desperately trying to keep calm despite how the dream bothers him.

I have been thinking about them a lot lately; he thought while rubbing his face slowly, it must be that – I should stop before I go crazy.

It’s not like Jungkook wanted to completely erase everything about his parents – but he had to. It has been hard since they were gone even though years have passed. He clutched tightly on the bed sheet – ah, not again. His chest feels heavy, and his eye sights become blurry, unknowingly, Jungkook fell on the bed again, tears flowing down his cheeks.

He feels like his life meant nothing but a massive ton of mess. He was wondering why was he still alive and well in this world? Why didn’t God take him together with them when the accident happened?

I want to meet them…

His thoughts were interrupted by the soft knocks from the door, revealing Yeri hiding on the other side of the door. He could only see half of her face though he can't really tell what face she was making right now. 

“Er, breakfast is ready.” She said before disappearing again before Jungkook could say anything to her.

He sighs, getting up from the bed and shaping to its original state from before he slept on it. He walked out from the bedroom, only to encounter the family has already gathered at the dining table for their breakfast – except for one person who is still busy on the stove. Jungkook caught his gaze with Taehyung who was looking at him while sipping on his morning coffee. Their gazes locked at each other.

"Good morning." He said with a warm smile, "You must be hungry from all the things happened last night."

Unknowingly, Jungkook's stomach growl right after, making Taehyung chuckled. He turned around, embarrassed by the sudden sound he just made before he walked to the bathroom.

 

Jungkook set his eyes on the table, carefully looking at the dishes served upon him. At this kind of time that remind him when he was at home with his uncle, where they only had cereal and milk for breakfast plus coffee whenever Yoongi feels like to drink it. He was too afraid to get his breakfast portion on the table until Seokjin grabbed his arm and pulled him to sit on the chair. He stared at the eldest with shock in his eyes while the latter rolled his eyes.

"Aren't you going to eat? It'll be gone before you know!" Seokjin furiously grabbing his chopsticks and dipping it into his rice bowl.

Jungkook blinked, slowly picking up his chopsticks and holding his bowl of rice. They are eating meat for breakfast, Jungkook thought as he reached his hand to pick the grilled meat in the middle of the table. When was the last time I eat meat? He chewed the meat, trying not to make any sound and not to cry over how delicious the meat was. When was the last time that I eat something so delicious?

"How's the meat?" His thoughts were interrupted by the voice opposite from him. He looked up and his eyes met with Yeri and her giddy smile. "Seokjin oppa's specialty is grilling the meat!" She wiggled her eyebrow as her hand reached the meat and shoving it instantly into .

"Yah! Why are you so unladylike?" Taehyung scolded her and softly hitting her hand with his chopsticks.

"Ow! That hurts so much!" 

Taehyung gasped right after, "Oh my God, Yerimie! I'm sorry! Did it really hurt you?"

"Just kidding! You're so easy to deceive, oppa." Yeri laugh and Taehyung's expression calm down a bit. Jungkook didn't know why he just senses something that, Taehyung was really thinking Yeri did get hurt from the chopsticks hitting and he was worried about her.

What was that? I don't get it. It's just chopsticks, her hand wouldn't fall off from her body with just a hit.  

He continues to eat hurriedly as he doesn't want to see any of their siblings' act. Just watching it hurts him inside. But what's the point anyway? He is merely a stranger in this house.

"Thank you for the food!"

Jungkook went to the sink as everyone has finished eating their breakfast. Taehyung went straight to the living room as Seokjin went to the laundry room at the back of the house while Yeri stayed at the kitchen watching Jungkook as he washed the dishes. 

"You don't have to that though," Jungkook almost lost his soul when Yeri suddenly appeared behind him. He thought everyone had gone from the dining room but this little girl is still here. Ugh, why do I have to deal with her? He shakes his thought off his head and continues to wash the dishes while Yeri still standing next to him, staring at his hands in the sink. He didn't say anything to her nor she was. They were silent until Jungkook finished his last dish and he stared back at Yeri who was now leaning against the kitchen counter with her both arms crossed over on her chest casually.

"I told you don't have to do it." Yeri sighs, "You're so stubborn."

"I was called that a lot," He admitted he is stubborn by nature. He wouldn't be called 'rock-head Jungkook' for no reason. "Uh, by the way. Thank you for letting me stay for a night." He ducked his head down, not looking straightly into her eyes. "I'm sorry for being a burden."

Yeri was silent again and it made Jungkook somewhat nervous. A soft humming escaped from her lips, "Well, you should be sorry." She paused, playing with the string of her hoodie while she stared blankly at the wall."But it's not me you should be sorry for. Taehyung oppa did all of this. Because he couldn't leave his dead-meat student alone in the alley after being a punched so bad we had to take you in. If it is me who have found you I would probably don't care at all." 

Jungkook clicked his tongue and he looked away from her annoyed.

Yeri stared at him, studying his expression. The words she said before - it was a lie. She does care about him because of her growing curiosity over this 'stray dog' ever since she saw him under the bridge has never dimmed and it's always on lit. Jeon Jungkook is really interesting, she wanted to know what's going on his mind...if only she could read it.

 

"Thank you for letting me stay for the night," Jungkook bow his head along with his body upon Taehyung and Seokjin, "I'm sorry for being a burden." He lifted his head up, only to meet their serious gazes from both elders.

Seokjin sighs, "Well you owe us a lot, what are you going to - OUCH!" He shrieked in pain when Yeri pinched his back, signaling him not to say anything. She smiled back at him then she rolled her eyes, and it creeps him out when she did that.

Jungkook breathes out slowly. He knew the eldest one didn't like him at all, and he also knew he owes them a lot after last night. Seokjin was right; what is he going to do now?

"If it's okay with you, I can work at your shop in return." Hah, Jungkook. You're a dead meat now.

"What? No, thanks! I don't -"

"What about instead of working, I want you to go to school. How about that?"

Jungkook's eyes widened. , what did he get himself into? Going to school? Is this guy joking? There's no way he would return to school after what he did, or rather, what they did to him. He stared back at the tall guy in front of him, Taehyung was looking at him as if he was waiting for his answer. He clenched his fist, suddenly remembering what Taehyung had asked him last night, 

"I want you to be friend with my sister,"

What if this has anything to do with his sister? Jungkook thought. To hell all of this, he doesn't have any choice, does he?

"Oppa! You can't force him like this!" Jungkook was surprised at Yeri sudden defense for him to her brother. He took a glance at her. She was sitting quietly before but now had stood up against her own brother all of the sudden. "Jungkook has his own reason for not going to school! You just can't force him!"

Taehyung lean forward from the sofa, looking at his sister, "What's wrong with you getting all angry all of the sudden? How did you know he has his own reason?"

Yeri clenched her teeth, curling her hands into a ball of fists to restrain herself from getting angry. She paused, slowly calming herself before she talks, "I'm his classmate. I know him."

"Yerimie, do you know who you are against now?" Taehyung crossed both his legs and arms, "I'm your brother and your teacher."

"I know but - !"

"I'm going!" The heated conversation between Yeri and Taehyung suddenly cools down when Jungkook stood up while rising his voice. "I'm going to school as you wanted me to."

Yeri stared back at him in disbelieve and she looked at Taehyung who was looking at her with a victory smile. She rolled her eyes and taking her seat back in furious. She glanced at Jungkook and saw him frowning. She clicked her tongue, what the hell was that? I thought you were stronger. Yeri looked away, she couldn't care less anymore. 

"Alright then! This settles everything! I guess I'm gonna tell Mr. Yang about you coming back to school." Taehyung delightfully taking out his cell phone as he began typing, probably reporting to the old discipline teacher about this great news. "Okay! Mission complete."

Jungkook furrowed his eyebrows, "Mission?" He stared back at the teacher. Yeri did too.

"Wait, I didn't tell you anything?" Taehyung burst out laughing his lung out. "Mr. Yang has been pestering me to get you back to school and it was so annoying, you know? So, I had my chance that night when I met you and yeah, you saved me from paying the meals for the next teachers drinking session - eh? Why are you guys looking at me like that?"

"So you're only doing this to save your pathetic ?!" Jungkook groaned in disbelieve. He falls into his trap. He did this for his own benefit, not because of his sister or anything. This annoying teacher really had the nerve to make him bow to the lowest ground and played him like this. If only the sister and the older brother is not here, this man will probably be a dead body for now.

Seokjin laughed,"What the heck? So that was your motives all along? You're wicked, Tae. WICKED!" The two men laugh together as Yeri was confused about what the heck was happening.

Jungkook blew a raspberry while ruffling his hair. What is there left to be regret for? He already agreed and this is also part of repaying this family for their courtesy. 

I guess the time has come for me to go there again.

 


 

"You're not mad?" The sound of Yeri's soft voice startled him again. He forgot that she was walking behind him right now. "I'm sorry my brother made you come to school to save himself."

"You don't have to be sorry," His deep voice pierced through her heart, she can clearly hear it beats. "Rather, I'm glad he did that. I was planning to go to school soon. But not this soon though."

Yeri clutched tightly on the hem of her shirt, "I'm sorry I can't do anything."

Jungkook stops his tracks, causing Yeri to almost bumped on his back. She makes a quick stop before her face collided with his back. He turned around, crouching his body to her height as he tilted his head. "What are you even sorry for?"

This is their first time being so close like this after they met. And it's the first time Yeri's heart was beating this fast. His face was close, she can even feel his breath against her cheek.

"You're too close." She tried to maintain her straight face.

"Tell me first what are you even sorry for?" He didn't move an inch and Yeri swears her face most likely reddening right now.

"I can't - I can't tell you that! You're too close, Jeon Jungkook!" 

There was silence falls between them before Jungkook let out a chuckle, "Your face is red. It's amusing."

"W-what the heck?" , this is bad. She's going to explode in embarrassment if he didn't retreat from his act!

"It's not even cold today, are you perhaps -" Before he could finish his words, Yeri quickly shoved his face off from her and resuming to walk before him.

"You're going to miss the train! Hurry up!"

Jungkook stared at the petite figure walking at a fast pace in front of him. Little people sometimes can be scary, he thought. He realized he was staring into space before he ran to catch her steps.

"Yah, let's go somewhere else." Jungkook is now walking next to her and Yeri refused to look at him. "I'm still not satisfied walking around the town."

"We're going to the train station and you will go home." Her voice sounds stern.

Jungkook clicked his tongue, "You're no fun."

"Well, sorry for that but I'm here to assist you to the train station so you can go back safely."

"Are you sure you I will be going home after you send me? I might be wandering off after that."

Yeri stops immediately and she stared at Jungkook, a smug smirk appears at the corner of his lips before it fades in a second. Ah, damn it. Does this means she's going to send him off until he arrives at his town? Why did she agree to send him off in the first place? Damn it. DAMN IT! This is so annoying. Cursed at Taehyung and Seokjin for making her do this! 

"I will make sure you arrived at your apartment." She said as she continues to walk again with Jungkook tailing from behind.

They arrived at Hwamyeong train station and quickly buying their tickets to Hwamgeung Town where Jungkook lives. Yeri could only cry internally as her monthly allowance she saves for buying books burned in front of her eyes from buying the train tickets. But it saved her a lot when Jungkook buys his own tickets with his own money. She wonders what did he do for a living and can afford to buy the tickets every day? Not to mention, it was for three stops away!

The train ride was quiet as so not many people were boarding it at the moment. Yeri was seating next to Jungkook - well, actually two seats away from him, and it made the latter puzzled why she was sitting so far away from him. The sounds of the train tires and railways friction is like a melody to her ears - it was strangely soothing to hear. Yeri brought her legs up on the seat, hugging it while staring out of the window. The sea, this is her first time seeing it after a while. The first time she gets on the train, she didn't even realize there was such a beautiful scenery as this. The glittering reflection of the sun making it looks like the sea was made out of diamond.

It's so beautiful.

She glanced at Jungkook, who had both his earphone plugged in with his eyes closed. She carefully studying his features, his gestures, his side profile. She hates to admit that Jungkook is really good looking, it made her heart race unknowingly. They only knew each other, far away from being an acquaintance and not even a friend. They are nothing but strangers. But why does she feels like she doesn't want to let him go yet? As if, she was holding him like an important person...was it because of her curiosity towards him? Yeri wanted to believe it is because of that though.

Jungkook slowly opening his eyes and yawned as he glanced at his phone's clock, 30 minutes before they arrived at the town. He glanced at the girl sitting next to him, sleeping soundly as her head was knocking back and forth against the glass window. He sighs, thinking how much of her being a heavy sleeper until she doesn't realize her head bumping against the window. He scooted slowly to her, closing the gap between them and carefully putting her legs on the floor as he rested her head on his shoulder. 

Ah, why am I doing this? I feel strange. He can't help but feel so embarrassed by this situation, but he had no choice or else she might either broke her neck or the glass window (okay he's kidding but it most likely it will happen if he leaves it like that). She was still sleeping after all of that, Jungkook couldn't help but chuckles at her soft snoring. She smells so nice, it makes him feel so relaxed. Was it lavender? Jasmine? Or the typical strawberry smell? Nah, he can't tell. As if he knows what a girl smells like. According to his uncle, all girls smell like strawberry, or it's just him who have girls around him smells like strawberry.

"Hungry..." Jungkook glanced at the source of small sound next to him. Yeri was mumbling in her sleep and this is his first time in this situation. "I want...ddeokboki"

"Why are you craving for ddeokboki in your sleep?" He whispers, but Yeri didn't respond. He sighs. "Alright, we're going to get some ddeoboki after this."

Hwamgeung Town. Hwamgeung Town.

"Yah, wake up. We've arrived." He shakes her shoulder until she wakes up. "We're going to miss the stop if you keep sleeping."

Yeri wakes up in grumpy mode, groaning as she yawned loudly and only to realize that she was waking up next to him. "Wait, why are we suddenly this close? Why am I sitting next to you?! Aren't we two seats apart before?"

Jungkook clicked his tongue, "As if I wanted to sit next to you too, idiot." He stood up from his seat, followed by Yeri as they exited the train together. 

"Hey, did I talked in my sleep?"

Jungkook turned around, only to meet with a concerned look from Yeri.

"Did I say anything when I was asleep?" She looks horrified as if he tells her that she did talk in her sleep, she will bawl her eyes out. Of course, he doesn't want that to happen especially in this place with people around.

Jungkook blinked, "You said you wanted to eat ddeokboki." He waited for her reply but she paused for a while.

"That's it?" He nodded and she sighs in relief. "Well, I am really craving for it. Let's eat first."

I can't believe she's a girl and smells like strawberry, out of all.

 

 "That'll be 9,000 won." Jungkook pays for the amount to the old lady before he walked out from the truck tent, only to see Yeri crouching on the street petting a white Shiba Inu. He stares at her, she was smiling while playing with the dog. It was amusing only to watch her happy, she was the total opposite of him anyway.

"Are you done?" Yeri startled by his sudden approach and gives a quick pat on the dog's head before she followed him from behind.

"Do you like dogs?" Jungkook asked her. They were walking side by side at a slow pace without realizing it. "You look so happy when you played with the Shiba dog earlier."

"I really like dogs," She said before she pauses for a while, "but my brothers are allergic to them. I always wanted one but because of them I can only play with dogs outside of our home."

Jungkook glanced at her, "Both of them? Heh, that was unexpected."

"Setting that aside, we haven't introduced ourselves properly yet, right?"

He hummed, "What do you think this is? A marriage interview?"

"Marriage?" Yeri stares at him in disgust, "This is our third time meeting and I don't even introduce myself. Please, why are you taking this like a marriage interview? That's disgusting."

"I'm just joking! Joking!" Jungkook sighs in defeat, "You're so complicated."

They stop at the nearby park and taking a rest after a long walk from the train station and ddeokboki stall. Yeri was left sitting alone on the bench where Jungkook went to buy drinks for them from the vending machine. He returned with two cans of drinks; strawberry milk and peach juice.

Yeri stares at him in disgust again.

, what did he do wrong again?

"I hate strawberry milk." She didn't even pause and Jungkook quickly switches her drink to peach juice.

"I thought all girls like strawberry." He said as he took a seat next to her, gulping down the strawberry milk in one go.

Why does everyone think all girls like strawberry milk? Mark Lee was like that too. Yeri opened her can of juice, taking a gulp before she started to talk, "Please don't lump me with the likes of those girls. I'm not like them." She paused, shooting a look at him. "Why are you suddenly being nice to me?"

"I'm always nice though."

"I still remember our first meeting you were so cold to me."

"It's because I don't know you yet," Jungkook sighs. "Okay, stop this. You should go back home."

Yeri pouted, "But you haven't told me anything about you!"

"Do you expect me to tell everything to a stranger? You're weird."

Yeri was about to answer him but gets the point there. Why is she getting carried away? They haven't know that long for him to tell her everything about his life. How selfish and stupid of her. Jungkook will hate her more if she acts like this. Probably, probably, she should wait for the right timing. This is not the right time, it will come.

The time will come.

After minutes of walking, they finally reached Jungkook's apartment neighborhood. Yeri glanced at the bridge near the neighborhood, reminiscing her first encounter with him under the bridge. It was three weeks ago but it feels like it was already from long ago. They thought the last encounter will probably be at the school when they met for the second time since Jungkook told her he will be dropping out. But it looks like fate keeps crossing between them, at this rate they will see each other more often after this. Yeri was not really looking forward to it, but she can't wait to see him at school.

What kind of student Jeon Jungkook is? She knew he's a troublemaker but what about in his studies? He probably good at studying since he got into Hwamyeong High School out of the school in this district.

Yeri stops her tracks as she watched Jungkook walking further from her. This is it, their parting is here. He turned around, looking at her and not moving an inch.

"Go back home safely." He shouted. "Don't cry over your money! You have your brothers as your source! Be grateful!"

Yeri bite her lips as she curled her both hands into a fist "Hey! You really are going to school right?" She shouted, "I'll kill you if you break your promise!"

She swears she saw his smile for a second and it fades again. There was no sound of his voice but she can clearly see his mouth gesture saying,

"I won't break the promise." 

At that moment she realized, she finally made a friend. Her first friend after transferring to this town is Jeon Jungkook.