Lesson 1

Don't English Me

"Dara you're doing extremely fine, really"

Professor Choi said ruefully. He leaned back on his chair before taking off the rectangular shaped glasses, a habit of him when he is starting to get serious. His eyes focuses on the girl who was fidgetting in her seat. Her hands kept rubbing each other, and her eyes were restless as she tried to avoid the gaze of the older man in front of her. She wasn't particularly aware on why she was called but she knows she did something quite awful in the ladies' washroom, specifically on the second cubicle. She was scared that she might get a lot of scolding and Professor Choi seems to have a talent at disciplining his students. 

"But"

Dara gulped, cold sweats run down through her neck and her fidgetting stopped for a few seconds. She her lower lip before muttering her apology. 

"Professor Choi, I swear I didn't mean it. It somehow drfited off of my mind that the door was supposed to be pulled and not pushed"

She rambled on a fast paced manner that the only words that Professor Choi could make out is, "door", "push" and "pull". The man was clearly amused, the silly smile that the chesire cat shows was replicated somehow on his face which Dara didn't notice. He was going to talk to her about another thing but she ended up confessing sin but that scolding will be reserved later. What he needs to do first is to inform the girl about the important matter at his hand, technically he was holding. A piece of paper that has black and red printed words on it. It was Dara's report card and one subject seems to stand out. She got grades of A- up to A+ but one subject has a grade of D. It is the language that almost all of the people in the glove knows how to speak: English. 

"I'm not here to talk about the door issue you have" he paused causing Dara to release a sigh of relief but she was still on the edge of her seat. "Its about your grades in English, Miss Park" 

Silence. 

Professor Choi was welcomed with silence. Followed by an awkward laugh from the girl. Now, Dara was laughing because of two reasons. She was an idiot for confessing the door issue and she knows that she's doomed. Dara can solve any mathematical question or answer any science related questions you can throw at her but she just totally in the foreign language also known as English. 

English differs greatly with Korean. From the words and up to sentence structure and the endless amounts of rules. Rules that make Dara so confused that if English rules were legal... She'll probably be in jail now.

She was okay with it. Having a bad grade in English. Dara believes that not everyone can excel at all of the subjects and same goes apply with her. The girl is just glad that she didn't receive the failing grade... yet, but she knows that she's barely hanging on it. 

"Miss Park if you want to continue your scholarship and get into a good college then you probably have to work with English"

The man recommended before opening his drawer and returning Dara's grades where it is supposed to be. He then opened a folder that has "Student List (English Class)" written in a thick black marker. Professor Choi's eyes started scanning the names before  placing the folder on the table. His finger was pointing on a certain name. 

"You do know Kwon Jiyong, right?" 

Now Dara let out scoff. Her blood always boil whenever she hears that name. Of course, she knows the man. The man named, Jiyong, who was living a couple of blocks away from her house.

"I wish to believe that I don't" 

She muttered under her breath causing the man in front of her to chuckle. To be honest, Dara always feel fidgetty whenever Professor Choi laughs. It was as if those evil laughs in movies that scared her when she was a young girl. 

"Well you better get chummy with him since he'll be your tutor" 

 

 

Dara's legs feel like they're about to give up when she turned the corner near to her home. The reason was that she was carrying English text books and Korean-English translation book on her purple back pack. Silently cheering herself 'fighting', she continued on her walk but was abruptly stopped when someone grabbed the hanging loop at the top of her bag. 

"What the f-" 

"Didn't expect that you could curse in English" 

There he was standing with his mischievous grin on his face. Running his hands through his newly dyed blond hair, Dara couldn't help but feel so annoyed. 

"Well I know how to"

She said while shrugging as if she doesn't care. Whipping her face to look at the direction she was walking, she decided to just walk face so she wouldn't have to spend a few minutes with her annoying neighbor but luck wasn't on her side. 

"You're not going to ask me something? Something about tutoring and English" 

"Well I can manage on my own, Kwon" 

But little did Dara know that she'll be asking for Jiying's help soon. 

 

 

Author's Note:

So how was the first chapter?? I hope you guys enjoyed it and leave your comments down below ❤ Don't forget to subscribe and upvote also