Baseball Boredom

You're My Dandelion (Your Roots Are Wrapped Around My Heart)

At the age of thirteen Taehyung realized he was terrible at sports and Jungkook realized he could do no wrong. They were the perfect pair, really. The troublemaker and his reluctant partner, but everyone knew that Jungkook would never leave Taehyung's side anyway. If Taehyung caused trouble at school or at home, Jungkook would always be there to flash a charming smile and get him out of any situation.

They did everything together, just like they always had, but they hit a crossroads when Jungkook made the decision to try out for the baseball team.

“Come on, Taehyung, please just try out with me? I really don’t want to be on the team alone.” He pouted at Taehyung, knowing that just like everyone else, it made him weak, but Taehyung didn’t budge.

“No. Jungkook you know that I can’t play sports, you’ve known since we were in t-ball! I’ll come and watch. I couldn’t get on the team if I tried to, anyway.” The defeated look on Jungkook’s face only made Taehyung feel a little bad. But what he was saying was true - he would never make the team.

-

Of course he caved under Jungkook’s constant begging, and he didn’t make the team. But Jungkook did.

-

“Hyung, really, it’s okay. We can just find another sport to play. Maybe we can just join track? I heard they’ll accept anybody!” And by anybody, Taehyung figured Jungkook meant even a rock could make the team, which was basically Taehyung when it came to sports.

“Huh. Flattering Kookie. Really, it’s fine. I know that you want to play baseball, so just do it! You know I don't want to play and like I said, I swear I’ll show up to every game.” Taehyung knew that Jungkook was just worried about making him feel left out, and that was why he was so against joining the team by himself. It didn’t help that the two were practically glued to one another - making Jungkook do something by himself was the equivalent of pulling a band-aid off of a child.
In a smaller voice, Jungkook replied, “Really hyung, it’s okay? You don’t mind?”

“Really, Kook, it’s okay. And I’m sure it’ll be fun watching you try to run around the bases!” Taehyung knew that the best way to get under Jungkook’s nerves was to tell him that he couldn’t do something, and to lighten the mood, Taehyung decided to hint at it just a little.

“Hyung! You know I’m a fast runner, no one in class can outrun me! Come one, I’ll race you back to your house, I know I’ll win.” And at that, Jungkook took off down the sidewalk and Taehyung groaned. This is really not how he was expecting this to turn out, he was expecting to get tackled at the most, he didn’t want to run.

Taehyung started with a light jog down the sidewalk as he yelled, “Jungkookie, wait! I know you can run, really, I was just teasing. Please just stop running, we can get ice cream, I’ll buy!”

-

Long story short, Jungkook’s first baseball game was a complete bore - for Taehyung, that is. The only thing he had to keep him entertained is the hot dog he bought from the concession stand and the sound of Jungkook’s parents cheering his name - even when he wasn’t out on the field. Taehyung did cheer for Jungkook, but only when he was batting (which was about every twenty players, it took forever for Jungkook’s turn to come around!) and when he was on the field, playing his position at the pitcher’s mound, of course. But those moments were very few, no wonder Taehyung picked the dandelions in the outfield when he played the sport as a young child, it was definitely more entertaining to count the yellow dots in the field of green grass rather than watch the game.

Taehyung promised Jungkook he would come to every game, but at this point he wasn’t sure how much more of this torture he could take. At the sound of a whistle and the sight of the players shaking hands, Taehyung realized that the game was over. Panicking, he looked around for someone who wasn’t one of Jungkook’s parents to ask which team won before Jungkook came and figured out that Taehyung wasn’t paying attention, but there was no one he would chance talking to.

He watched as Jungkook ran back to the dugout (Taehyung had always wondered what that was called) and collected his equipment, a shiny new bat, glove, and helmet thanks to his parents. Jungkook then made his way to the bleachers where everyone’s family was sitting.

Jungkook’s father was the first to greet him, “Kook! You hit those baseballs further than any kid I’ve seen, the team is lucky to have you.” Jungkook’s father was ecstatic about Jungkook joining the team, he is the one who spent hours in the store helping Jungkook pick out the perfect gear.

“Ah, Dad it was nothing, really, if anything I need to practice more.” Taehyung had to hold back a laugh at that, Jungkook already seemed like he had spent his entire childhood practicing, which is true considering the amount of bruises Taehyung got as a child while being Jungkook’s catcher as he practiced to be ‘the best pitcher in all of baseball history’

“My Jungkookie, you did so good? Was it fun?” Jungkook’s mom gushed, and Taehyung thought she was one step away from pinching Jungkook’s cheeks. It reminded him of one of his dads that was waiting for him back home, surely thinking about the lunchbox he had packed Taehyung (“Dad, really, I don’t need it, you don’t have to make me lunch.” “But, Tae, what if you get hungry?” “I have money dad, they sell food there. Plus, Jungkook’s parents are taking us.” “What if the concession is closed? You can’t rely on everyone for food, Taehyungie, only me.”)

“I had so much fun, mom.” Jungkook said to his mother. He exchanged a few more words with his parents before turning to Taehyung, “Hyung, did I look cool?”

“Of course, I think you’ve already got a fanbase, you’re already ready for the big leagues!” Taehyung replied, only half joking about Jungkook’s fanbase (He already has one at school just for being.. him). “You pitched really good, Kookie, and hitting too!”

“Hyung, did you see all of the runs I got? I think I got the most out of the whole team!” Jungkook boasted.

“Yeah, I saw them! So you guys won then? Congratulations!” Instead of the grin Taehyung was expecting to see from Jungkook, he saw a slight frown.

“We didn't win, Hyung. The other team beat us at the last second, didn’t you see it?” Jungkook was frowning and Taehyung panicked because no, he didn’t see it. He was too busy counting the dandelions that were in the field.

“Uh, I slipped away to the bathroom, Kookie. You were probably busy and didn’t notice that I was gone.” Taehyung quickly made up and excuse. “Come on, we should get going. I think your parents already started heading to the car!” Taehyung took Jungkook’s helmet to help him carry his things with one hand and grabbed onto Jungkook’s wrist with the other, dragging him to the parking lot.

“But, Hyung -”

“Hurry up, Kookie, or they’ll leave without us!”