Flower Crown Friendship

You're My Dandelion (Your Roots Are Wrapped Around My Heart)

“Yoongi, Tae is sitting in the outfield picking dandelions again.” Jin’s worried gaze is focused on Taehyung, as it always is. Yoongi is used to this, though, after spending the last 5 years calming Jin down from the constant concern he has for their son.

“I would too, the furthest these kids can hit a ball is to the pitcher’s mound.” Yoongi says distractedly, drying to diffuse the anxious atmosphere Jin has created. Yoongi thinks - he knows - Jin will have worry lines on his forehead by the age of 30 (despite his vigorous face routine), and really, they’re not too far away from it.

“But the other kids are picking flowers in the outfield together. Taehyung never does anything with them.” Oh, so this is it, Yoongi thinks. Ever since Taehyung began kindergarten, Jin desperately tried to make him one of the ‘popular kids’, as Jin puts it. He just wants Taehyung to be happy and always have friends that he can lean on. He hasn’t brought home or even mentioned a kid since. Yoongi was still confused by what being popular in kindergarten meant.

“He looks perfectly fine alone, though, does he not? Its baseball, Jin, they’re not even supposed to be picking dandelions in the outfield, at least Tae is doing half of his job right by staying in the right position. The other kids don’t seem to be too bright anyway.” At this, Jin’s eyes went wide, his face became a little bit more red than what was normal, and Yoongi immediately knew he had uttered the wrong words.

“Yoongi!” Jin frantically scans the area to make sure none of the other parents heard Yoongi’s comment. Then his piercing gaze lands on Yoongi, giving him the fiercest ‘you-better-behave-or-so-help-me-God’ look he could muster in a public space.

While they were looking away they didn’t notice the boy from the other team who had wandered from his place on first base, where he had ran when he had surprisingly hit the ball off of the tee on the first try, and to Taehyung’s position in left field. Taehyung was completely oblivious to the boy as he attempted to twist the dandelions he had collected together to create some type of crown, which looked a lot more like a mushy mess of green weeds. The boy from the other team shyly walked up to Taehyung and uttered an almost inaudible, “Hi, I’m Jungkook.” Taehyung looked up startled his hands froze and his eyes widened, he quickly stood, hand in a fist around his finished masterpiece, and he said “Hi, Jungkookie, my names Tae.”

“Only my mom calls me Jungkookie.” Jungkook's nose scrunched a little bit, even though the blush on his chubby cheeks told another story. “What did you make with the flowers?”

Taehyung looked down at his hand, almost forgetting about his creation, then he looked up at the blush on Jungkook’s cheeks. He walked towards Jungkook until they were standing face to face, which Jungkook looked quite skeptical about. Taehyung placed the crown of mushed dandelion flowers onto Jungkook’s head and hoped Jungkook didn’t notice when one of the yellow flowers fell to the ground. The redness in Jungkook’s face deepened a little bit, and Taehyung said, “It’s okay, I’ll just call you Kookie. You can stay out here with me if you want to, Kookie. Its way more fun here than in the stuffy dugout.”

“Okay, I will, but only because you gave me the flower hat, so now I have to make one for you too.” Jungkook said this as if he had a mission, biting his tongue in between his teeth and furrowing his eyebrows as if his teacher had just asked him to count to 25, which was way above his limit of 12.

Jin only caught this interaction towards the end, when Jungkook had finally given up on creating the flower crown by himself and asked Taehyung help him (“It’s not a hat Kookie, it's a crown. This means you’re a prince!” “Does that mean you’re the princess? Princesses are girls.” “It doesn’t really matter, I can still be the princess if you want!” “‘Kay, Tae.”).

Yoongi suddenly felt a sharp slap on his arm. Confused, he looked up at Jin, “What? I swear I didn’t even mean it, no one heard me!” Yoongi put up his arms as if he was about to be gunned down by the SWAT team, and really, what was the difference?

“No, Yoongi, look! Taehyung is making a friend, and I missed it because I was scolding you! I wonder how old he is, what school does he go to? Who are his parents? Yoongi get the camera!” Yoongi watched Seokjin fumble around in the many bags they brought (“Why do we even need so much crap?” “Its not crap, Yoongi! We just always need to be prepared.” “For what? War?” “What if?”). After Jin located the camera he nearly threw it in Yoongi’s direction, ordering him to get as close as possible to get quality pictures of Taehyung and his new friend.

At the sight of the little boy’s blush and Taehyung’s enthusiasm, Yoongi couldn’t help but truly feel like a proud dad as he mumbled, “When the did I get so soft?”