Blind Dates & Sparkling Wines

Blind Dates & Sparkling Wines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Yifan shoud've known this was bound to happen - he just had an inkling of it the moment he chaperones these two to their table, the moment he notices how the man openly s at the younger male, a brunette who's just as tall as he is, and wraps an arm around his waist - making him even more uncomfortable than he already is. But well, it's none of his business. They're dating, it seems, but it does make him a little concerned for the younger male who really didn't seem all that happy being here.

As the odd couple's waiter, he makes a few mental notes that it was in fact a blind date, judging from how the younger man tries to strike a conversation with the older man, a few getting-to-know-you Q&As which the elder didn't seem too ecstatic about. Yifan thinks this guy's a total douchebag, but he's just a waiter so who is he to complain? But he notices the deflated look the brunette has at where this date was going and he feels bad for the poor guy. He doesn't seem like a bad guy, he just ended up with bad company.

So he walks over and offers the brunette an extra glass of Filipa Pato Rosé sparkling wine, a personal favorite of Yifan's actually.

Yifan finds himself hoping the wine's playful taste - almost like a liquid popsicle of raspberries - would cheer up the brunette's mood as he pours, noting the dainty smile the brunette has for his kind gesture. After doing so, he stands idly, pretending to wipe the bottle down with its towel, waiting for the reaction because no, it's not because he's curious - he's just being professional - if he didn't like the wine, he'll offer something else.

But then the brunette's eyes sparkle, like the sparkling wine itself and Yifan forgets, for a moment, that he's at work. He watches with amazement and a sense of pride in himself for making the brunette's night a tid bit better. He excuses himself after receiving another charming smile from the brunette, thinking all will be better.

But he thought too soon.

Now, he's watching as the brunette's date insults a couple next to their table for having a "loud" conversation. Yifan cringes as he glances over to the brunette, looking like he'd rather be holed up six feet under than having to sit through this embarrassing situation.

Yifan just hopes this won't go downhill so fast.

 

Chanyeol should've known this was bound to happen - it's basically his life story to put him in situations like this. He turns to his date and thinks; he's pretty sure that his hearing is normal and that his ears aren't clogged with earwax but the couple next to them wasn't shouting each other's heads off as what his date claims. No, they were having a decent conversation in a decent volume with decent tones. But it seems that "decency" is just out of his blind date's vocabulary at the moment, particularly after he downed four glasses of beer already.

And they haven't even finished main course yet.

"I'm telling you to shut the hell up." He groans, slurring his words in a way that made Chanyeol cringe.

"Mind your own business," The man in the next table frowns and his wife reaches over to hold his arm back in case he decides to give Chanyeol's date an uppercut.

Not that Chanyeol would've mind. He thinks a good hit to the nose would do just as fine too.

"What'd you say?" Chanyeol's date hits the underside of their table in annoyance and everything jumps up, Chanyeol's wine glass tips over just a bit but he carefully saves it just in time. The sparkling wine the kind waiter so graciously offered him fizzying away in his glass. Saved. Not his date though. This date has long been a failure the moment Chanyeol met him in person.

You meet your date in person for the first time and he s your cheek? Yeah, this date was a goner, Chanyeol, how could you have thought otherwise? He thinks as he covers his face with a hand, embarrassed as hell as his date runs his mouth off about being some son of some high class somebody.

It was during this time that their waiter, Yifan, he notes from the nametag on his vest; a good-looking, tall, young man enters the scene.

"Excuse me sir, but it seems that you may be a little drunk, if you'd like, we could you to the back room to let you have some fresh air-" He suggests, calm and poised like the trained professional that he is. He turns to the couple to give a bow and a decent smile, "Please excuse the rough behavior,"

The couple is about to say that it's not the restaurant's fault at all but then Chanyeol's date gives a comment about the man's wife and that's when things got out of hand.

"Look man, I don't know who you are but you better take back what you said about my wife right now or I'm calling the police." The man says, forgetting about being calm, cool and collected, ready to just lunge at Chanyeol's date.

Chanyeol would have to agree. He reaches over to roughly grasp his date's wrist. "Stop it already and apologize."

"What?" His date has this look as if he has just remembered Chanyeol was right in front of him before giving this feral smile, "Babe, why should I apologize?"

Okay, wow, who gave you the right to call me 'Babe'? Chanyeol can feel the salad he just had moments ago come swimming back up in his throat. He grips his wrist tighter, "Because." He says firmly, "They didn't do anything wrong."

"Yes, they did."

"How can talking about their kid's baseball game be a crime?!" Chanyeol is about to lose it. "Of course they'd talk about it animatedly, it's their kid!"

His date's look darkens a little and he pulls his hand back towards him so suddenly that it causes Chanyeol to lose his grip and shift forward. "Oh, you're just like that too, huh? Wanting to fawn over a family or something? Wanting to be all lovey dovey and romantic with your partner? Yeah, well here's news for you, babe - with how you are, you're never gonna get a family of your own. You're most likely best suited to be in some gay bar out there, strutting that all around."

The couple next to them hushes, actually, the whole restaurant sort of drops in silence and wow, that was the last straw.

Chanyeol jumps up from his seat, face red with indignation but his eyes, he couldn't stop them from watering. But he didn't want the douchebag to have the pleasure of seeing him cry. So before he could get that chance, he grabs his wine glass and douses it over the man's face.

With a yelp, the guy jumps back in his seat, eyes stinging from the chill of the wine in his eyes.

Chanyeol slams the glass on the table, "You piece of ." He mutters before he turns around to leave the restaurant. Yeah, that'd be the tenth restaurant he'll never, ever come back to from now on.

Yifan's eyes are following that dejected, lonely back and his heart aches for him. What'd he do to deserve that? He actually defended the couple and tried to stop his date. As Yifan's eyes scan the scene, he notices the coat left on the chair. Realizing it was the brunette's, he reaches for it and hopes to catch up, praying that he hasn't gone too far.

"That little-" The man growls, wiping the wine off his eyes. "Hey! Hey! What do you think you're doing?! Clean this up!" He points to Yifan, Chanyeol's coat in his arm.

Yifan turns to him, takes a few steps forward and bends down, eyes glowering with his back facing his superiors. "Sir, with what just happened, it could be counted as verbal ual harrassment. Now, I don't know who you are or where you've come from but that could be quite problematic particularly if we call the police." Yifan places a hand on the customer's shoulder, "I'm sure you don't want that. So, as an apology for your date and for the couple beside you, why don't you offer to pay for their dinners?"

"What the-" The man growls, completely flabbergasted that the waiter would come up with such a thing. But he turns his head and notices the seriousness in his eyes.

"No?" Yifan tilts his head and straightens himself up. "Sir, Madam," He turns to the couple. "I'm sure you've heard what he just said moments ago, yes?"

"Yes," The man nods.

"That's one pair of witnesses." Yifan turns with a smile to the customer before turning to the table along their line, "How about you, madam?"

"We heard it loud and clear." The four women in the table nodded, anger on their faces.

"That's another table. Wow, sir, you already have 6 witnesses of your verbal harrassment. It's not looking too good, hm?" Yifan says with a smirk that the guy is practically sweating in his seat.

"F-Fine! Fine! I'll pay! I'll pay for their dinners!" The guy says, huffing, trying to avoid the glances from all over the resturant. It seems that splash of wine woke him up from his drunk stupor just now.

Yifan nods in understandng, "Thank you, sir."

 

The moment he steps out onto the sidewalk, taking a few steps away from the restaurant to lean against a lamp post, Chanyeol crumbles and breaks down. Scrunched up like a ball on the sidewalk with barely any dinner in his stomach and a sick feeling in his gut that wouldn't go away, Chanyeol's night is once again full of absolute .

He hears a tinkle from the restaurant door and he hopes it wasn't the couple next to them demanding an apology from him because he was the guy's date. He bites his lips, trying to control his tears, because he doesn't want anybody seeing him cry. Hurriedly wiping away his tears with the back of his hand, he doesn't register the footsteps slowly approaching him, or in fact, that it was just one person approaching him.

"Excuse me, sir?"

Chanyeol blinks and recognizes that voice. He turns around from where he was crouched and sees that handsome, young waiter from earlier. He was giving him this crooked smile that made Chanyeol blink away his tears.

"Wh-Whuh?" And wow, how eloquent was he? Chanyeol clears his throat and stands up, with a bit of a wobble, before turning to fully face him.

The waiter shakes his head and smiles, extending his arm towards him. Chanyeol stares down and realizes he had his coat with him.

"Oh! I'm so sorry!" Chanyeol gasps, flushing in embarrassment as he takes his coat and then it registers to him that he just left the restaurant without having paid a thing for his dinner. "Oh my god, the bill!"

His reaction seems to have surprised the waiter as well, who was initially looking at him as if he grew another ahead, before breaking out into an almost exasperated chuckle.

"You were forced to deal with that... unruly date of yours, defended the couple next to your table and bear your date's insults about you in a public restaurant," The waiter goes off, tilting his head in a way that makes him seem confident, smug even, but not insulting. He had an expression on his face like he was impressed. This leaves Chanyeol ogling. "And the first thing you think of is your dinner bill?"

"B-But," Chanyeol plays with his fingers before pulling his coat close to his chest. embarrassed, "I-I just left like that... I'm sorry, I'll go back and pay-"

"That won't be necessary," He smiles this wholehearted smile and Chanyeol feels the weight on his shoulders disappear. "The bill has been taken care of."

"Oh? I-It has?" Chanyeol blinks, "By who?"

The waiter's smile doesn't disappear.

Chanyeol gapes and takes a step into his personal space. "Oh my god! You didn't cover it, did you? Your paycheck isn't covering it, right? Oh my god, no, no, no! I should pay! I'm so sorry! Please let me pay!"

The waiter lifts his hands up to calm him down, "P-Please relax, sir, it's not like that. Your date has paid for the dinner."

There must really be something wrong with Chanyeol's ears then. "Wh-What?" He gawks, unable to believe what he had just heard. His date? That douchebag? He paid for it?

"Yes," The handsome, young man nods before he leans forward slightly but because Chanyeol so politely invaded his space, the distance between them is small enough for Chanyeol to be able to breathe in his scent - this kind of woody, spicy cologne. Wow, for a waiter, he smells so... manly. "I made sure of that."

Chanyeol blinks dumbly, "Huh?"

The waiter pulls back and Chanyeol has this urge to move closer to smell that scent again. It gave him a sense of security. He can't really explain how that scent would give him a feeling like that but it just does - or maybe it's just how this man carries himself. Chanyeol tries to calm his racing mind because he's being ridiculous again.

"Excuse me, sir?"

"Y-Yes?!" Chanyeol was too into his thoughts that he squeaks his reply and this earns him a soft chuckle from the waiter. Chanyeol flushes in embarrassment.

"I feel bad for what happened to you earlier; had I intervened sooner, maybe you wouldn't have gone through that. Would you be willing to wait for ten minutes or so? It's almost the end of my shift. I'd like to make it up to you for your date tonight." The waiter explains. Chanyeol thinks he's out of his mind.

"N-No! None of that was your fault at all, um," Chanyeol glances to the nametag on the vest. This obviously catches the waiter's attention as well.

"Please call me Yifan," He says and the words sound like music to Chanyeol's ears.

"U-Um. I'm... Chanyeol." He glances at the sidewalk, "Y-Yifan-sshi," Chanyeol murmurs shyly. "You- there's nothing for you to apologize for. In fact, I should be the one apologizing. My date has caused so much trouble for the restaurant and you..."

Yifan smiles, "I think you've gone through enough for one night." He makes to turn. "Please wait, I'll just get changed.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter