Glass; Shattered

Core

Caelum had picked up a bag of apples along the way as he made his way home, biting into one with a scowl. He was absolutely annoyed by the leader of the army troop. That short, bearded man and his irritating stupid accent. While it wasn't the first time he had saw the man, but it was the first time he had personally talked to him, and it was the worst moment of his life. Not to mention that the look on the man was very revolting.

The ginger shuddered, wanted nothing but to bath in holy water or something. (It was surprising for him, seeing that it had been years since he last stepped into the church, neither had he prayed to the god that everyone believed.)

He shook his head and sighed in relief when he arrived. "I'm home." He murmured, closing the door behind him. He took pulled the cloak off with one hand and went straight to the fruit basket on the dining table, placing the apples in it carefully. 

"Welcome back, Caelum." His mother, who was knitting in the living room greeted. "So, did you asked Azura?" She asked excitedly as she paused her work. Caelum resisted the urge to roll his eyes and nodded. "Yes, she'll be coming tomorrow." He smiled when she cheered and started wondering what she should cook tomorrow. Honestly, his mother was a tad bit too excited. Azura wouldn't even arrive until the next day.

He couldn't blame her though. After all, she had been the happiest of her life ever since he introduced Azura to her. He was glad that she was happy. Eleanor giggled at their mother's behavior as she came down from upstairs, her stomach bulging over the month.

"She're really excited to have another family member, so it seemed." Caelum agreed, though his smile turned a little strained as he went over to help his pregnant sister. She simply brushed him off, not liking anyone trying to help her. No matter how much she tried to stop them, it didn't really make much different and they would simply kept up the fussing. Goodness, she wasn't even crippled! She was just carrying another life.

Caelum knew how she disliked it and merely stood by the side, making sure that she wouldn't fall. 

"Lucien and Colette should have arrived in her parents' house." Their mother mused. "Hopefully their trip was smooth. Leo cries a lot in bumpy rides." The siblings exchanged a look when they realized that their mother was talking more to herself rather than to them. They smiled.

"It'll be alright, mother. Mark's with them after all." (Mark, Eleanor's wife, had tagged along with Lucien and Colette and their four-year-old son. He had wanted to visit his parents as well, so it seemed. Colette and Mark came from the same village after all. It was funny how things work, seeing that Colette and Mark were actually their village's sweethearts. Though, Mark had left for the capital a few years before meeting Eleanor and reuniting with Colette again.

It was hilarious, and a bit awkward for Caelum, for some reason.)

Caelum decided to leave them both with their conversation and went to the back of the house, finding his father staring at sky, brooding. It was quite rare to see him brood.

"Father." He greeted, announcing his presence. The man turned to his youngest son with a small smile. "Ah, you're back. Welcome home. How's your day?"

"Hectic, but it's alright." He replied, deciding to leave out his recruitment to the army. "You?" His father chuckled as he took a seat beside him on the bench they had placed there. "Your mother was been insufferable. My back is fine and she was adamant on making me stay put and rest the whole day. She didn't even let me help her with housework! I felt weird not doing anything at all." 

"She's just worried." His father sighed in fake exasperation, smiling. Whenever one of them fell sick or injured themselves, Caelum's mother would always fuss over them. Caelum knew this very well and had experience more than that. She nagged him a lot about certain things. And him going to the meadows. She always seemed to knew when he went there no matter how hard Caelum tried to hide it. (It certainly doesn't help when he can't exactly lie to her.) Caelum copied his father's sigh as they exchanged similar looks.

They sat in silence for a few more moments before his father spoke up and changed the subject into a different direction.

"So, when are you going to wed Azura, my son?"

Azura, sweet sweet Azura. He had met her a year after Alaude, his first friend, had left. She was helping her parents in the flower shop when he decided to buy some flowers for his younger sisters' birthday. She didn't stood out much, almost painfully plain, but she had somehow one way or another caught his attention when she spoke of the flowers as though they were the most interesting thing in the world. (To her, it certainly was.)

He blushed at the sudden question, not expecting it and stuttered incoherently, to which his father laughed in amusement. He huffed and gave his father an annoyed look, ruffling his hair in a rough manner. Seriously, why do people like to ? "I am.. Not sure. I don't think I'm ready." It was the truth, but it wasn't the full reason. Deep down in his heart, Caelum wasn't sure if he truly love Azura.

He does, actually. He loved her, but did he really view her as a live long partner? Someone he wanted to protect and take care of, and love for the rest of his life? Was he the right one for her? Was she the right one for him? All these thoughts had made him hesitate a lot. Even before they got together, it took him a really long time before deciding to court her.

Now that his father asked, he knew that he had taken too long. Her future would depend on his decision. If he were to put his decision aside any longer, he would be wasting Azura's time. What if he were to decide to not marry her in the end? She would have wasted her youth on him. What if he were to decide yes? Would she regret it? Would he himself regret it?

He doesn't know. He doesn't want to know. (He cursed his own indecisiveness that he hated so much.)

His father smiled at him, clearly noting the dilemma running through his head. (Sheesh, his youngest son seriously was an overthinker. He wondered where did Caelum get that trait from.) "Don't worry," He said, patting him on the head. "Whatever your decision is, I'm sure everyone will understand. Didn't your uncle said it before? 'Don't be rash while making an important decision or you'll regret it'."

Caelum stared at his father in shock. It has been years since the last time his father mentioned about his late brother, Caelum's uncle. They hadn't have the greatest relationship and they don't really get along well, but Caelum knew that they still cared for each other. That his father cared for his uncle, missed him, even, after all these years.

His eyes soften as he shifted his gaze to the ground. "Yes." He missed his uncle a lot. It has been nine years since his death, who wouldn't? However, he was glad that his uncle was gone. His uncle had been suffering from an incurable cold for almost five years after all. The one that made one cough so hard that they cough blood out. 

His uncle, the one who showered him with attention and taught him of the world. His brave and strong uncle, passed away in his sleep with a smile.

He was in peace.

Caelum was thankful of that, even though he was torn with grief. He was thankful that his uncle had passed on in peace. His father patted him on the back a few times as they sat there in silence, staring at the sky as the sun slowly set. "Well, we should go in. It's getting colder." His father said, standing up. Caelum nodded in agreement and followed him back into the house.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Thank you for fetching me, Caelum." Azura said as she smiled at the ginger, who was holding a bouquet of flowers she had prepared. "You're welcome. These girls wanted to see you earlier after all." He ruffled Noella's hair as she squealed, holding onto Azura's hand. Naeva giggled on the other side.

"Yep!" Caelum rolled his eyes in a rather fond way. The twins had clung onto him when he left the house to fetch Azura, not wanting to let go despite Caelum's attempt of shaking them off, literally. He gave up soon after realizing that they wouldn't give up and resigned to his fate, letting them cling onto him as he walked to Azura's house.

The twins liked Azura a lot, to the point that they would frequently ask of Azura. (Caelum had wondered before if they liked her more than him.) He chuckled slightly as they talked to her animatedly. He strolled slightly ahead, humming under his breath to himself when he heard a scream and a gunshot. A rather familiar scream.

His eyes widen at that as a chill ran down his spine.

Azura gasped, horrified by the sound as the twins yelped and clung onto her sides. "What happened...?" 

"Azura." She turned to Caelum just as the bouquet of flowers were shoved into her hands. "Take care of Noella and Naeva for me." And he took off. "W-wait! Caelum!"

Caelum didn't even acknowledge that and simply bolted down the streets to his house. It was his mother's scream, no doubt. It has been years since he last heard her scream but it was definitely her scream. He could tell. 

"Mother!" He shouted in alarm, barging into his house. His breath left him the moment he saw her holding onto his father, who was clutching his side, soaking in red. "C-Caelum.. Leave-" His father coughed, eyes scrunched up in pain. "Run-"

"Now now, please don't run." Caelum stiffen at the voice just as two men grabbed him and locked him in their arms, holding him back as he trashed about, eyes never leaving his father. Fitzgerald blocked him from his view and tilted Caelum's head up, smirking smugly.

"Good evening. I was getting tired of waiting for you." 

Caelum snarled and attempted to bite the hand off. The leader of the army simply laughed at his futile attempt. "What do you want?!" He hummed mockingly, as though he was contemplating about something. "Let's see, what I wanted." He tapped his right cheek a few time. "Ah right!"

He gave Caelum a disapproving look. "I wanted your answer, but you didn't even find me. I waited the whole day, you know." He tutted. "I don't really like being taken as a fool, you know."

"I had already gave you an answer, it was a no." Fitzgerald raised an eyebrow, lips tugged down in disappointment. "Pity. If you had accepted it, your father would've lived." Caelum's eyes widen in horror just as he whirled around. "Kill him."

"No-!"

His mother and older sister screamed again when another bullet went through his father's chest. Blood splattered onto their shirt as his father laid limply on the ground, the light in his eyes died. Tears ran down Caelum's cheeks as everything turned silent, even the cries of his mother and sister. He prayed, prayed to the god he had never believed in, for it to be a lie, prayed that his father was still alive.

Alas, his father's time had ended there.

Fitzgerald laughed, oh so gleefully as he turned again to look at Caelum's face. He sported a large grin as he sighed in bliss. "Oh Caelum. You looked just like your brother." He snapped his head up to look at the man. ".. What?"

A gloved finger brushed his cheek, wiping away the tears. "Your brother had the same look when his wife crumpled to the ground like paper." The hand tugged his hair back harshly. "He had the same anger in your eyes, screaming nothing but revenge." His head dipped down when the hand released his hair.

"What did you do to them?!" Eleanor shouted, voice shaken. "Hm? Oh, well, we kindly showed them the way down to hell." She gasped, hands covering as she slowly slid down onto the ground, knees weak. "No.. Mark.." 

"Why?" Caelum croaked. "You wanted me. Why harm them?!"

"You?" Fitzgerald questioned before cackling. "Dear Caelum, do you really think that I killed them because of you?" He shook his head. "Oh no. You're just a bonus, if you had accepted. They're dead because of your dearest brother. He dared to smuggle weapons into the Capital without paying tax. It wasn't the first time he did, oh no. It was a multiple offense."

"How dare you say smuggle? He had a tax-free pass!" 

"It was annoying, you see." Fitzgerald sighed, strutted around the house with his hands brushing over the furniture. "I hated those people who doesn't pay for what they had to. It was an obligation you see. It's my job you see." He smirked. "I hated him." He said in a cold voice as he stabbed an apple on the table with the butter knife. "So, I worked hard to make this village a government land, just so I could take him down legally.

"And then, I can take down the rest of his family as well! Marked all of you as traitors in the Capital!"

"Y- you, you filthy man!" His mother screamed, still clutching onto her husband. "You'll die a dog's death and you'll face God's retribution! You will go to hell!"

Fitzgerald's face scrunched up in distaste. "Kill her." 

Caelum's blood ran cold as he screamed at the leader, plead him not to kill her but it had fell to deaf ears. The third gunshot echoed in the air, leaving loud rings in the ginger's ears as he watched his mother crumpled onto the ground, blood flooding the floor with his father's blood.

"No no no no-" His sister chanted hysterically as she crawled over to her parents. "No, please.. Please don't leave-" Her voice drowned out incoherently. Fitzgerald tsked and took a step back when the pool of blood flowed towards him, disgusted.

One would thought that he was satisfied seeing both Caelum and Eleanor broken, but no, he wasn't. He grinned maniacally as he stepped over the pool of blood and grabbed Eleanor's hair, pulling her up just to see her tear-stricken face.

"Now, what should we do with you? Oh I know!" Caelum struggled harder, but the two men who held onto him were stronger than he was. "Let me go! Don't you dare touch her!" He was ignored as the madman of a leader gleefully announced loudly. "Let's help you give birth!"

"Don't you bloody touch her you bastard!" He trashed around, biting and scratching the arms that held him down. "Let me go!!" He screamed. Fitzgerald winced at his voice and ordered the two men to beat Caelum up, but leave him conscious. Caelum didn't even have the time to brace himself when a fist hit the side of his head. 

Pain blossomed as black dots scattered across his vision. Suddenly, those arms were no longer holding him up and he fell onto the ground. He hacked when a leg stomped on his back, the heel digging down his spine. He felt his ribs had cracked, but even so, he managed to croaked out. 

"S-top."

His vision cleared just to see fist going down on his sister's head, cracking the skull. He suddenly couldn't do anything anymore. He was frozen on the ground, and all he could do was look as one of the army men handed a knife to his leader. 

'No.'

The sharp knife dug into Eleanor's stomach.

'No.'

The sound of skin ripping filled the air just as blood flowed from the open wound when the knife was dragged across.

'No-'

Caelum could see his sister's inside, the intestine, the bones, the dead infant- 

He jerked as the bile in his stomach forced its way up his throat and he vomited, coughing harshly at the stinging pain. He was barely even aware that the leg on his back was gone as the two men stepped away from him in disgust. He couldn't care less as he retched, not even when the disgusting smell of his vomit made him want to puke again. 

He couldn't watch. He couldn't see it. He didn't want to see it

A cry wrecked his whole body as he heaved, hands clenched into fists as he let out a silent whine that the fact that he couldn't even save his parents, let alone his sister and her child. He was so useless, so damn useless! 'Why? Why them!?' He should be the one who had died, he should've accepted the offer, just so they could live on, he should-

Fitzgerald flicked the blood off his gloves, disposing the knife onto the ground as he looked at the dead infant that had tumbled out of the stomach with a few parts of the intestine in distaste. His first thought was disgusting. He had always wondered how would an infant look like before it was born, but now that he knew, he hated it. The infant looked deformed. 

He took his eyes away from the corpse and turned to the ginger on the ground. He tutted pitifully, stepping over the blood and crouched in front of him. "You know, if you've accepted my offer, they might have a chance to live. You might have a chance to live. It's all your fault that they die."

He sighed. "Oh well, it's too late now." He pointed his gun at the head that tilted down. "Au revoir."

The last gunshot resonated.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N= *cough* I will. Just leave this here.

I was frustrated as how to leave a warning for you guys but I didn't know how to be subtle about it, so I gave up. I'm sorry

Au revoir is goodbye in French.

I feel like I didn't fully invest what I wanted to convey/ Caelum's agony in the last part...? But I wanted to keep it simple and direct as well just so I don't drown out what had happened. Egh.

I actually made myself sick when I imagined the part with Eleanor. It was.. Much vivid in my mind than here. *pales*

Fun Fact= People in Colette and Mark's village thought that Colette and Mark would ended up together. Nope, that didn't happen.

Fact= Lucien, Colette, Mark and Leo were ambushed while they were on the way to Colette and Mark's village, near a cliff. They were actually killed before their whole carriage along with their bodies were pushed down the cliff just to make it an accident. 

Fun Fact= Someone didn't show up. It wasn't Alaude nor Knuckle that I'm referring to.

I noticed that mentioned 'Apple' in almost every chapter until this one. 

[I apologize for any grammar, spelling, etc. etc. mistakes]