(Still) A Stranger

Core

To say that Caelum was tired was probably an understatement. He was downright exhausted, sore from head to toe. He could barely even keep his eyes open when they finally reached the mansion. He couldn't even process anything as he was led into the mansion. He could briefly remembered meeting a man with red hair and a scowl on his face, who sized him up before he was guided to a guest room, which would be his own personal room soon. (He would try and remember what happened exactly when he was more awake.)

The moment he stepped inside and the door was closed, he had literally fell onto the bed and passed out, sprawled out on his stomach. He didn't dream, but he was in a void. A void which would have made him panic, but he didn't react. He didn't know why, but it was slightly alarming. (Probably because he had already submitted to whatever was going to happen to him.)

"Historian," He looked up from his hands that he had been staring at and looked around. "Take care of your eyes." He frowned when he saw no one. The voice echoed, a voice he had never heard before, but it felt all too familiar for him. "Who are you?" He called out.

"Take care of your eyes," He stood up, still searching for the owner of the voice. "What do you mean?" "Historian," He scowled again. The only ones who knew of that title was Judgement, Death and he himself. He hadn't told anyone about it. But that wasn't Judgement or Death.

Who?

A sudden gush of wind rushed against him, making him close his eyes and shielding his face with his arms from it. The wind soon slowed, and he cracked an eye open. His eyes widen when he was no longer in a void, but standing on an open field. He was standing on the top of a mountain, surrounded by greens. Over the horizon, the sun was slowly rising, but still in touch with earth. By the edge of a cliff, stood a man, a hand on a large tree trunk.

"Who are you?" He asked again, louder as the man was rather far. The man had his back to him, and he couldn't recognize who it was. "Please, answer me!" He was getting desperate. There was something about this man that unsettled him, not in a bad way, but still a heart wretching way. 

He wanted to know. He needed to know. Just as the man turned, the wind picked up speed again, stronger than before. Caelum had to hold on and was forced to look away. He tried to look at the man again, try to speak again, but he couldn't. 

"...-your eyes," He heard the man spoke again, but it wasn't clear. "What?" He shouted and managed to open his eyes again, albeit only a few millimeters wide. The man was blurry, but he could tell that he was looking at him. "-Survive."

And he woke up.

His eyes were wide as he panted, feeling his shirt clinging onto him, cold sweat on his skin. His ears were ringing, and it took him a full minute to realize that he wasn't alone. Giotto was calling out to him, holding onto his shoulders with a concerned look on his face. "-elum! Are you alright?"

He nodded, still trying to calm himself down. He ran a hand over his hair as he sat up with Giotto's help. "Nightmare?" The blonde asked gently, rubbing his back. Caelum frowned. He clutched onto his hair.

"I.." He said, voice hoarse. "I don't remember." He looked at Giotto, bewildered. "I don't remember." He repeated when everything sank it. "Why can't I remember?!" He couldn't believe it, trying hard to think about the dream he just had, but he couldn't remember a single thing. 

It was when Giotto gently pulled his hand away from his head and pulled him into his arms that he realized he was crying. He didn't know why he was crying. He just felt..

He felt so sad

"It's okay. It's okay not to remember." Giotto said, running his fingers through his hair. He sounded so reassuring, feeling warm and protection from him.

But it wasn't okay. If he couldn't remember, then something was wrong. Either whatever he had dreamed off wasn't exactly a dream, or he was just thinking that he had a dream when he didn't. He wanted to believe the latter. 

He clutched onto Giotto for a few more moment before finally letting go, rubbing the tears off his face. He could feel his face burning slightly in embarassment as he had finally calmed down. "Sorry.." He muttered, sniffling. Giotto merely smiled and shook his head. "There's nothing to be sorry of. Instead, why not say thank you?"

Caelum's lips tugged up slightly at that. "Alright. Thank you." Giotto nodded approvingly. "Now come on, go take a bath. Dinner will be served in a moment more." 

----------------------------------------------------------------

Caelum looked around in awe as Giotto guided him to the dining room. He took in the architecture of the mansion, the colours of the walls, the decorations, literally everything like a sponge soaking up water. He had never been into a building this big. Not even the church back in his village, which was the biggest building back there, was this big. 

He didn't know if he was intimidated or pure loving the place, which, mind you, was a very beautiful and nice place.

Giotto merely chuckled at his excitement. "Well, here we are." 

Caelum swallowed as Giotto pulled the seemly heavy door open. The heavenly smell of food wafted in the air hit him almost immediately accompanied by the distinct sound of cutlery scraping across the plates. In the middle was a large, round table where only four men had sat by it. They were talking about something when Giotto and Caelum arrived. Caelum saw a few plates by the empty seats and knew that they were missing a few other occupants other than the both of them. He gingerly walked in as a youngster, a teen, he presumed, turned to him. He looked bored, but his eyes shone in curiosity when he saw Caelum.

"Giotto, is this the new member?" An Asian asked, a welcoming smile on his face. "Yes." Somehow, during the short split second Caelum was dazed, Giotto had maneuvered him to sit beside Knuckle before he himself moved to sit in between the red haired man and the Asian.

"Ugetsu, G., Lampo, this is Caelum." The ginger nodded awkwardly at them. "Caelum, this is Asari Ugetsu," The Asian, Asari, chirped a 'Hi' in English. "G.," The red haired narrowed his eyes suspiciously at him. "And that is Lampo." The youngest in the room grunted. 

"Pleased to meet you!" Asari added with a grin and a rather strange accent that Caelum found unique. He returned the smile. "Likewise." 

"Where's Daemon and Alaude?" Giotto asked G., who merely shrugged. "Daemon went to fetch Elena," Caelum visibly flinched at the name. It sounded so much like his older sister's name. He had tried to not show it, but clearly, he had failed since Knuckle had glanced at him in concern. "Alaude's probably in his room or office for all I know."

Caelum gave Knuckle a weak, reassuring smile before turning back to the food on the table which one of the butlers had placed in front of him. Thanking the man, he reached to pick up the cutlery before pausing and sweated. There was so many of them for one meal, and he did not know which one should he use. 'Is this what Uncle had mentioned before? Dining etiquette was it?' 

He sneaked a glance at what others were holding and simply picked up the one that looked correct. Although, he seemed to have made a mistake when G. squinted his eyes at him. He winced internally and decided to ignore the look he was given. He took a bite at the foreign food and he blinked in surprised. It was delicious! He had never eaten anything this delicious. Not to mention expensive.

However, he felt as though it was missing something. He couldn't pin-point it, however, until he took a second bite. 'Oh. Right. Mother's taste.' He berated himself for thinking of that and focused on the food. He didn't want to lose his appetite. It would be rude. Not to mention he couldn't possibly waste the cook's effort. 

"Giotto, why did you bring him back?" G. murmured. Although Giotto had said that the man doesn't understand Italian, it was better to be safe than sorry. Giotto gave him a disapproving look. "He's one of us, G.." The red haired man scoffed. "No, he's not. Not until he has proven worthy."

"G., you're very harsh." Asari added, concern laced in his voice. "You know why I'm saying this. You too, Giotto. You know exactly why."

Giotto's smile turned sad at that. He knew exactly why G. was so rigid about having a new member. Their previous ones were all but gold diggers who eventually betrayed them. It took both Daemon, Alaude and Knuckle's joint effort to bring everything back; their assets, their name, and their pride. (Ironically, they still haven't decide on a name.)

"But G., he's real. I can assure you." He said, looking right into G.'s eyes. G. looked physically pained. "You've harmonized with him." That brought Asari's and Lampo's attention. "He's what? A Mist? You already have Daemon, why-"

"A sky, G.. A sky." G.'s eyes widen. "But-

"Felt like a Mist, doesn't he? That's correct. But he's a Sky first and foremost." G. sighed heavily. "So that's why you brought him back? Because he has dual flames? Giotto-"

Alaude came in right at the moment before he could continue his words. He glared at the red haired man. "Before you judge, observe first." He growled. Caelum, who was lost in thought as they talked jolted at his voice and turned to Alaude. He blinked at the man and smiled as Alaude sat down on his other side.

"Hey." Caelum said softly. "Hey to yourself." Alaude retorted without any heat, and Caelum didn't mind. He actually chuckled at that. Lampo inched away from his table slightly at that while Asari and G. watched in awe and curiosity respectively.

Daemon soon strode in along with a blond lady with the greenest eyes Caelum has ever seen. "Elena." Giotto stood up, smiling brightly as he greeted the lady, taking her hand and placing a ghost kiss on the back of her palm. "It's good to see you. How are you doing?"

Elena giggled, smiling just as brightly. "Likewise, Giotto. I'm doing great, thank you! I hope it's the same to all of you as well."

"Of course. Please, sit and join us for dinner." The woman laughed a little at that. "Isn't that the plan all the time?" She said teasingly as Daemon guided her to sit before he himself sat down beside her. It was when she had settled on his sit that she noticed Caelum staring at her curiously. "Oh dear. I'm so sorry. I'm unaware that you're expecting a guest."

Caelum blinked a few times before opening his mouth to reply, only to snap it close with a questioning look on his face. 'Am I a guest or..? I mean, technically, I am a guest, but then again I'm going to stay here..'

Fortunately for him, Giotto had answered in his stead. "It's alright. He's our new member and will be staying with us starting from today." That? That was even worst. Maybe..? Caelum frowned a little but opted to stay silent. Elena turned to him and smiled sweetly. "Good evening. I'm Elena."

Caelum twitched a little. "Good evening to you too. I'm Caelum." He blurted out, realizing that he had been staring for too long, squeaking slightly as he did, much to his dismay. Lampo snorted silently at that while Caelum tensed up, forcefully trying to stop himself from blushing.

Elena wasn't the slightest offended. In fact, she seemed to have taken a liking on him exactly at that moment, if the shine in her eyes were anything, that is. Caelum was grateful at that as he breathed out through his nose to calm himself down. Although, Alaude probably wouldn't let him live that down given by the amused look he had donned through his normal facade. No one said about that and merely continued the meal with a few small talks here and there. It wasn't as though he could understand Italian, so Caelum simply stayed silent and watched them, eating slowly.

"Caelum," His head shot up and looked at Giotto, who seemed concerned for some reason. "Are you alright?" He tilted his head in confusion. "Yes. Why?" Giotto watched him for a moment before shaking his head. "No, nothing." The ginger wasn't exactly convinced, but decided to not press it as Giotto changed the subject.

"Elena, how's your project coming about?" The woman brighten at the mention of her project. "It was coming about very well, thanks to your help. Ah, right!" She clapped her hands together, remembering something. "The grand opening is in fortnight time, please do attend!" 

Giotto grinned. "Absolutely! We'll definitely attend." 

It wasn't long until all of them were finished and soon decided to call the night. Elena, of course, had decided to stay for the night as all of them retired to their respective rooms.

As Caelum slowly walked back to his room, he crossed path with G., who he had accidentally bumped into. "Oh, sorry." G. scrutinized him for a moment, not letting him pass. The ginger sweated. "Y-yes?"

"Don't even think about trying to take advantage of Giotto." G. said harshly, but his voice was low enough not to alert anyone. Caelum's eyes widen at the accusation. He sputtered incoherently, trying to explain but the red-haired man has already walked away. "I'll be watching you."

Caelum watched the man disappeared down the long hallway, eyebrows pulled together. His lips pursed as he lowered his head. 'Of course he would be wary of me. I'm merely a stranger. An outsider.' Chill ran down his spine as he took a deep breathe, turning around and heading back to his room.

Suddenly, he realized that he didn't feel belonged. (No, not yet.)

----------------------------------------------------------------

Daemon quietly got dressed for the day, trying not to wake up his sleeping lover. It was far too early to wake her up. While he wanted to stay with her longer, he had some work left that he needed to attend before he would spend the rest of the day with her. As he moved around the bed, he spotted a figure in the garden, moving. 

He raised an eyebrow, recognizing the ginger hair. The man seemed to be plucking out the grass and weeds around the flowerbed, careful not to accidentally pull the flowers out. And he wasn't wearing any gloves. Daemon shook his head at that, sighing inaudibly, though he was amused. 

He moved to kiss Elena on top of her forehead before he head out. Instead of his office, he headed to the garden.

Caelum was on autopilot, mind elsewhere as his hands moved. He couldn't sleep the whole night and decided to explore the mansion, careful not to wake anyone up when he found the garden. The flowers were in full bloom, reminding him of Azura. And before he knew it, he was already by the flowerbed, crouching.

His mind was elsewhere, but there wasn't a constant topic in his mind. Everything that passed his mind was fleeting. He didn't even feel the small cut on his hand.

"You might want to wear gloves." He jerked in awareness and gasped, blinking down at his dirtied hands. He turned and saw Daemon staring at him. He doesn't seemed to be angry. If anything, he seemed amused. Caelum stood up and laughed sheepishly. "I'm sorry for.. This. I just couldn't stop myself." It has been a while since he helped Azura with the plants and flowers, but it was a force of habit. Being together with Azura did wonders to his knowledge on taking care of nature.

Really, a force of habit.

That, and he couldn't really stop himself when he saw the amount of weeds growing around the flowers. 

"Oh there's no need to apologize." Daemon mused, nodding. He was pleased, somehow. "You did a great job. Elena would be pleased. She hasn't been here for quite a while now and was worried about them. Although," His voice dipped in disapproval. "You're hurt." 

It was then when Caelum realized that he had not one, but several cuts on his hands. "Ah. Oh these are nothing." He tried to wave it off, but Daemon raised an eyebrow that had him deflated. "I'll bandage it up later. I promise."

Daemon hummed and stared. "You know, you're weird." Caelum tilted his head in confusion. "You've just lost your family," He flinched at the bluntness. "and gained a bond from Giotto. Anyone else would've cling onto him to replace the lost, but you didn't. You kept away. Even your flames kept away.

"You contradicts yourself." Caelum didn't know what to say and Daemon didn't expect him to answer. Instead, he circled the man, inspecting before he nodded, folding his arms. "I've decided. I'll train you."

".. Excuse me?"

"Your flames. Even if you've harmonized with Giotto and regained control over it, it is merely temporary. If you are to experience another grieve, the control will be lost again. I'll teach you how to control them, use them, even. In return, you'll aid me in my research." Daemon waved a hand as he explained. "What do you say?" He reached out a hand for the man. "Deal?"

Caelum contemplated for a moment. What Daemon said was true. He couldn't always rely on Giotto and their bond. No, it'd probably burden the blonde, and that was the last thing he wanted to do.

Plus, since he was going to stay here, he might as well help out. To repay them.

".. Alright. Deal." He took Daemon's hand and shook it firmly. Daemon smirked, pleased.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N= After more than three weeks and finally, I updated. Sorry it took so long. I was still settling my scholarship and all. And I just realized that I couldn't exactly relate to Caelum spiritually unlike Ryuuichi, which was probably why it took so long for me to vomit this out.

The italic dialogs are in Italian.

I probably won't say anything about the man in Caelum's dreams. Not yet. :3

Caelum was so shaken when he couldn't remember his dreams was because that was the first time that happened. I've said before, he has photographic memory, so he can remember everything vividly. That was the first time he couldn't.

Fun Fact= It was actually on purpose that I named Caelum's older sister as Eleanor. Because Elena.

Fun Fact= G. is protective of Giotto because, as mentioned, of all those previous spies and gold diggers. Also, because they're childhood friend. G. is actually a rich man's son, while Giotto was from the middle class. The mansion was G.'s.

Should I write about Caelum's interaction with each and one of the guardians in the next chapter? Hmmmn

Anyway, I probably won't update anytime soon, unfortunately. Sorry. I'm trying to get pass this writer's block I'm having actually. Also! KHR rare pair week! I'll be participating, of course! Its on June. Well, see you guys hopefully soon! Have a nice day! 

[I apologize for any grammar, spelling etc. etc. mistakes.]