01: Chance Encounters

The Buffer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: This is a revival sort of thing, compiled of a bunch of random scenes I found scattered in notes and unfinished drafts. Please keep expectations low, my life is sort of a dumpster fire and I'm trying to use escapism to avoid the impending mental break-down. Do drop a comment if you manage to find this fiction and read it and don't mind sharing your thoughts. XOXO 4lifeMister.

Iseul was cranky. She had been standing on her feet for several hours now without any sort of break and there had been a steady stream of customers all day. Iseul was tired and hungry, and she could not wait to go home but alas her shift was not over for another three hours. 

“This day is endless.” Iseul complained to no one in particular but her beta coworker, Finn, chuckled at the omega’s cuteness. “I want to go home,” Iseul whined. 

“You’ve got a little more than just three hours to go. You can make it!” They said encouragingly. 

“But I want to go home now!”

“Every shift is the same with you. You complain about wanting to go home and then beg to leave early, and then come pay-day you’re even more upset with how little wages you have earned.” Finn scolded. 

Iseul chose to pout instead of continuing to argue with the beta because they made a very good point and Iseul was not in a mood to fully acknowledge that. 

“I am going to work on sorting the inventory now while there is this lull in incoming customers. Will you be okay up here by yourself for a little bit? When I come back you can take a break with a coffee and pastry.” 

“Yeah, yeah, I’ll be fine.” Iseul brushes off her coworker in favor of staring idly out the window. “Check to see if there are any more chocolate croissants left for me while you’re back there!” 

“Sure thing!” Finn called back over their shoulder. 

 

For several minutes nothing happened and no one came into the cafe. Iseul was beginning to feel her eyelids get heavy and she had the upper half of her body sprawled across the front counter. Right as Iseul had convinced herself it would be okay to rest her eyes for a minute or two, the bell indicating a new customer chimed and Iseul cursed under her breath as she shot up to greet them. 

“Welcome to Kiss Kiss Cafe where we hope you will fall in love with our gourmet food and beverage options! My name’s Peaches, and please allow me to assist you today.” Iseul recited with less enthusiasm than her manager would have approved of but they were off today and her only coworker here this shift was in the back and couldn’t hear her, so Iseul wasn’t going to work as hard if she didn’t have to. 

“Peaches? I was wondering when that old name would cycle back through.” The alpha who came in was average in stature and had short, wavy brown hair and a kind smile. He chuckled quietly after he made his offhand comment and stepped closer to the counter. “I’ve been coming here for several years now and you’re only the second Peaches I’ve met here. Though I have met three Apple’s, five Clementine’s, and nine different versions of Berry’s. I like peaches, so I’m glad that someone finally chose that name again.” 

Iseul shifted her weight awkwardly, at Kiss Kiss Cafe the omegas had to choose a fruit name instead of providing their real name to customers for safety reasons, and obviously regular customers would pick up on that but it was still against the rules for Iseul to acknowledge it to them. 

“Um, as a loyal customer for many years, that must mean you already know what you would like. What can I get you today sir?” 

The alpha exhaled through his nose while he hummed, creating a sound that Iseul could recognize as one of amusement. “I’ll take a large vanilla latte and a blueberry scone please.” 

Iseul’s hands moved automatically to type into the register the order, and moved automatically to express her thoughts. “Blueberry scone? But we have peach turnovers.” 

“Oh?” The alpha’s brows lifted, he was now further amused. “I’m afraid I prefer scones over turnovers however. I’m sorry.” 

“No apologies necessary sir,” Iseul chirped in her good customer service voice as she handed back the alpha’s change. “Just thought I would mention the turnovers since you mentioned you liked peaches.” 

The alpha chuckled, dropping all of the change he was just handed back into the tip jar on the counter. “You omegas can be just too cute for your own good sometimes. That’s why I never questioned the false-name rule in establishments such as these, some alphas and betas wouldn't be able to tamper down their possessive instincts when it comes to you sweet omegas.” 

Iseul blushed. Normally she would cringe or scowl at an alpha who would say such a thing

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter