Chapter 2

Race Against Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Word Count: 5,424 words

~•~•~•~

This is not good.

Not only is this the third girl they have found dead in less than a month, the flock of people gathered around the taped-off crime scene that is growing by the second guarantees that the death of this poor young woman will not be kept under wraps. Jungkook suppresses a sigh. The press will have a field day, and with both the media and the public badgering him and his team for details of the ongoing investigation it will only hamper their progress. There is nothing he can do about it, though.

"Well?" He prompts the blond man crouching beside him.

"Well..." Namjoon answers as he gingerly examines the victim's neck with his gloved hands. "As you can see, the length and the depth of the gash is similar to the other girl we found a month ago. What was her name again? Susannah Johnson." Jungkook agrees and motions for the medical examiner to continue. "See how the slit is shallower here, and deeper here? The cut on Miss Johnson is also like that, which suggests that the killer, or killers of these girls severed their throats with the right hand while holding her the same way, using similar amount of pressure." Namjoon rests his arms on his knees and turns to Jungkook. "If you ask me, I'd say it's the same guy. What do you think?"

Eyeing the victim's blonde hair and ears adorned with striped hoop earrings, her large white shirt paired with blue shorts down to her bare feet, Jungkook is honestly inclined to agree with Namjoon, but he has to consider all possibilities. "We should never rule out the possibility of a different murderer. However, I think it's best that we assume that another girl is out there somewhere, dying as we speak."

"Damn, he's toying with us," Namjoon mutters.

Again, Jungkook is in agreement with the doctor's sentiments, but is careful not to say it out loud. He addresses one of the crime scene investigators instead. "Can I get a second look at what we got this time?"

The woman in her thirties shows him the packaged evidences. Again, the victim's small, white purse is one of them - filled with money but devoid of anything that can actually be helpful in identifying her. Another clear bag contains a stem of small, purple blooms, previously tucked behind the ear of the victim. A simple necklace found around her severed neck holds a miniscule bottle that seems to carry some brown, granular content suspended in water. He frowns at these assortment of clues - if they are clues. He is currently working based on the assumption that this victim's murder is somehow tied to Susannah Johnson's. Jungkook reaches for the tagged necklace to take a closer look at the locket when a strangled cry from Namjoon grabs his attention.

"What the hell?!"

Jungkook follows the direction that the shocked eyes of the doctor are pointed at to look at the deceased blonde's mouth. Something is poking out of the corner of her lips, making Namjoon back away with a disgusted look upon his face. The investigator cautiously touches the pale cheek of the victim, causing a small brown insect with a long body to escape from . The older woman expertly scoops it up to bag and tag it with the rest of the potential evidence.

"What is that?" Namjoon asks with a shudder. "Did someone put it in ? There's no way she's dead long enough for flies to lay eggs in her."

"I don't know," Jungkook answers with a frown, reaching for the phone in his pocket. "But I do know that I have to make a call."

One phone call and twenty minutes later, a tall, handsome man jogs towards Jungkook, who is still deep in conversation with Namjoon.

"I can't confirm anything else until the autopsy is done, agent, but I'm sure that you can see as well as I do that the victim has been cleaned, like Miss Johnson was. Add that to the method of killing and the clothes she's wearing, if I were to make an educated guess I'd have to say that it's the same person who did the killing."

"As much as I'd like to agree with you without reservation, it's not impossible for two people to have a tendency to slash throats."

"Well if this city really houses this many bloodthirsty killers, I should start thinking about moving to a new one," Namjoon declares with distaste. "Do you really think there could be more than one of these wackos out there?"

Jungkook purses his lips. "There aren't many who knows about Misses Johnson and Williams' deaths."

The two men halt their conversation as the newcomer approaches them. "Agent Jeon," he says, offering his hand in greeting. "I heard you could use my help. Agent Kim Seokjin at your service. Just call me Jin. I'm a forensic zoologist."

Jungkook shakes his hand before gesturing to Namjoon. "This is Dr. Kim, the medical examiner."

After shaking the doctor's hand, Jin looks around with interest, but the three of them are standing by the collection of the investigators' vehicles, and the actual crime scene is still too crowded for Jin to see anything. "So... what do you need me for?"

Jungkook holds up the envelope containing the animal for Jin to see. "Do you know what this is? Or, more importantly, where we can find it?"

"Well, you can find one right here," Jin jokes, but the deadpan expression on Jungkook and Namjoon's faces make the forensic expert blush and sober up at once. Clearing his throat, he extends his fingers towards the bag. "May I?"

Jungkook releases his hold on the evidence, and Jin gently places it in his palm to get a better look. "It's a larva of some sort," he says, turning it to examine the insect from different angles, humming softly to himself. "Probably a type of fly, but I'll have to check to make sure."

"Do you know where it came from?" Jungkook prods.

"You mean its habitat?" Jungkook nods to the expert's question. "I can only tell you that when I know the species this little thing belongs to. But where did this particular one come from?"

Jungkook and Namjoon look at each other, then at the roped off crime scene that is now clear of people, the police having managed to shoo most of the onlookers away. Jin turns around to follow their gazes and gapes at the sight of the body being carried away.

"Is she... ... Did get slashed?" He shakes his head at their confirmation. "I've never seen anything so brutal. So you found this larva on her body?"

"Her body hasn't been decomposing long enough for flies to lay eggs on her," Namjoon repeats. "It was put inside ."

Jin scrunches his face in disgust at that bit of information. "Why?"

"We believe it may be a clue left by the killer," Jungkook is quickly losing his patience. He needs to do something. He needs to get moving. "This larva might point out the location of another girl whom we suspect was abducted with this one. So if you can tell us where to find more of them, that would be very helpful."

Now that he knows the importance of the evidence he holds in his hands, Jin's eyes shoot back down to it. "I'll go back to check and confirm for you as soon as I can," he says. "Is there anything else left on her? It might help me narrow things down."

The flowers and necklace are shown to the forensic expert. "Nothing of the fauna persuasion, I see." The look of disappointment on Jin's face is immediately reflected on the other agent and doctor's faces. Jungkook shrugs.

"These are the only things that we are given to work with, apparently." He puts the bags away and addresses the two men. "Do you know anyone who may be able to help us with them?"

Jin his head in thought but Namjoon quickly slams his fist into his other palm excitedly, his dimples prominent as he grins. "I have a friend who's a botanist. He might be able to help."

"Can you get a hold of him now?"

"I'll try," Namjoon assures and walks away to call his friend. Jungkook watches him for a few seconds before turning to see Jin looking at the necklace with interest.

"It looks like soil of some sort," he says. "A geologist may be able to help you with this, but unfortunately I don't know of any."

Jungkook nods tiredly as the team gets ready to pack up and leave. Namjoon returns to them to report, "He's on a conference. He says he will be back tomorrow and will see us at our earliest convenience, if that's soon enough for you."

"What other choice do we have? We can send them to the lab but it will take days, maybe even weeks to get anything useful back," Jungkook hands the evidences to one of the team to keep. "We may not have the luxury of time."

The other two agree, and Jungkook walks towards the car with them following close behind. They are chatting but he is not in the mood to join.

"Want to get some food, doctor? I'm starving."

"How can you be hungry after seeing someone being killed like that?!"

"I may not have the stomach for murder, but I definitely have the appetite for food!"

~•~•~•~

One good thing about the murder being covered by the mass media and the summer break ending is that the victim is quickly identified this time. By the end of the day, they have learned of the name of the deceased. Serena Hart. Student of Burghley University, the same university that you are attending. The university that the first pair of victims, Susannah Johnson and Kimberly Williams came from. She was last seen with her classmate, Brianna Baker, in a bar, and the latter has not shown up to classes that day, further convincing Jungkook that she has been taken as well. Panicked calls and visits from friends and family throw the afternoon into chaos, and he is relieved to be heading home that evening. It has been a very long day.

He supposes that it must have shown on his face, because after he gets out of the hot shower, you have a cup of hot coffee waiting for him. You close your notebook and concentrate on massaging his shoulders after he settles down on the sofa next to you.

"Tiring day?" You're sure it was for him, the tension in his muscles reflecting the amount of stress he is dealing with.

"'Tiring' is an understatement," he finally allows himself to sigh in the comfort of your arms. "I suppose you've heard?"

"About the death of another student, and the missing one from my university? Yeah," you confirm. "Is it the same person?" You ask quietly, and he doesn't have to ask what you mean.

"At this point, I can't say for sure, but I'm afraid that it is," he tells you truthfully. Then he remembers what Jin said earlier.

"Say, baby, do you know any geologists in your university?"

You stop squeezing his shoulders to consider his sudden question. "I do, but why do you ask?"

"There's this evidence that I might need the help of a geologist with," he explains, and you take the opportunity to try and learn more about the case.

"What sort of evidence?"

"Something I think is soil of some sort," he indulges briefly.

"Really? Then he's perfect!" You gush. "Yoongi is a pedologist."

"A pedologist?" Jungkook sips from his cup but his eyes are trained on your face, giving you his undivided attention.

"He studies soil in their natural environment," you explain. "I can ask him if you want. I don't know if he will fit in though. He can be a bit of an oddball."

"Please," he smiles in relief and bends down to get your phone from the coffee table. Who knew that a piece of an answer to this puzzling riddle would be right inside his home? "I'm clutching at straws here. Getting along and being buddies is the last thing on my mind right now."

"You want me to call him now?" You take the phone from him in surprise. "Jungkook, it's not exactly early."

He shoots you an apologetic look. "Please, baby. There may be another girl out there right now who needs all the help she can get."

You're not sure of the exact details of the case, but you decide not to argue and search for Yoongi's number in your phone. He picks up after the third ring.

"Y/n?" His raspy voice that answers your call sounds surprised.

"Hi Yoongi. Sorry for calling you so late," you say uncomfortably. You're pretty good friends, but you very rarely cal

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter