Finding Joshua

It's Killing Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

2 years later...

 

The fresh, unpolluted air in Los Angeles always helped Joshua breathe easier and relax as compared to the compressed, tight air back in Seoul. He knew it was kind of irresponsible for him to drop everything and leave but thinking about it now, there were absolutely no regrets about it. If anything, he was just immensely sick and tired of getting treated like he was invisible or non-existent, even. He didn't receive any respect or care like the other members did. True, some members did try to make sure he was okay and showed some well-intentioned concern but it was at its bare minimum, and not like the members actually followed through with their words anyway.

“Josh?”

“Yes, Brandon?”

His best friend.

Brandon had welcomed him with open arms when Joshua arrived back home two years ago, taking his best friend into his own apartment – Joshua’s parents were not going to accept their son after failing to carve out a career in Korea. He was not going to let his own best friend get thrown out into the streets when Joshua clearly needed someone more than ever now. In fact, Joshua had been just like a younger brother to Brandon and it was only good to have more company in his own apartment.

Joshua felt a pat on his shoulder and he smiled.

“Are you okay, Josh?” Brandon asked softly, “still thinking about them?”

Brandon saw right through the fake smile Joshua sent his way and he shook his head with a sigh. It would have been selfish of him to demand Joshua to stop thinking about them, considering the thirteen members have spent years together. He hoped deeply that Joshua would at least put away the bad memories and only think of the good ones but it was impossible as well, especially when a particular member had been the source of his happiness and that extremely painful heartbreak.

After handing Joshua his glass of fresh milk like he did every morning, Brandon headed back into his study room and took out his phone.

 

To: XXX-XXX

I think it’s time for you to appear.

 

 

Living in hell could be a lot better than living here, Seungcheol thought.

Ever since Joshua had terminated his contract with the group, he made sure no one could contact him or get a single piece of news ever again. He had practically disappeared off the face of the earth and it had left a scar on all their hearts. It might sound ironic because Seungcheol had a huge part in making Joshua leave them, but he really did feel the guilt crush in from all directions. The members were not being easy on him either, not that he was expecting them to. It was also needless to say who were the members who were being deliberately hard on him.

Vernon was completely unapproachable now; Mingyu tried his best not to be cold but then again, he wasn’t putting much effort into it; Hoshi wasn’t the life of the team anymore and the beagles? They should really change the beagle line to lifeless line.

“Seungcheol-hyung, the burger you asked for.”

Damn, even maknae was cold to him.

“Gyu, shall we go out?”

“Sure. Where do you want to go?”

Wonwoo was clinging onto Mingyu’s arm when they were coming down the stairs; the couple had been going stronger than ever even with the arguments between them. The fact that Joshua had left only made them cherish each other even more; their time might be cut short anytime and it'd be worse if there were any regrets. Wonwoo knew how angry Mingyu was when they found out about Joshua’s sudden departure; and he promised his lover that nothing like that would ever happen to them. He knew how insecure Mingyu could be, and Wonwoo didn’t want him to worry about anything.

“Shall we go to Namsan Tower?”

Vernon couldn't help but snicker from the side, taking pleasure in the way two particular members froze in their places – Namsan Tower was Joshua’s favourite place to go to when he needed to calm down. He was never going to forgive the two of them for causing this upon the group. If Jeonghan had known how to treasure such a good guy like Joshua, none of this would have happened. Most of all, Jeonghan didn’t know how to love Joshua at all.

He was about to leave the living room when his phone vibrated against his thigh.


Text from Brandon

I think it's time for you to appear. 

 

are you sure?

I don't want to startle him

 

He's okay.

 

Vernon was ready.

Without another word, he stood up and headed back to his room in a hurry; as if he'd stay here and waste more time when he could find Joshua in a matter of hours. Vernon thought no one would bother even if he disappeared for a short while; all he needed was to pack a few sets of clothes in a small bag so he could fly to Los Angeles and find his best friend again. The one thing his sharp eyes didn’t realise were the keen eyes fixated on him all this time, and Vernon had let his guard down for that mere two seconds.

“Where are you going?”

“H-Huh?!”

Vernon turned around at the sudden question and he turned pale instantly, finding Woozi as well as Hoshi standing at the door. He looked to the ceiling and cursed mentally; these two members were the ones who felt most guilty for not saying something earlier. The frown on their faces were enough to tell him that there was no point in hiding anything anymore; Vernon was had. Hoshi, in particular looked as if he would be able to murder the younger one if anything was kept from him ever again... Vernon was not about to allow that possibility.

“I’m going to find Joshua.”

Silence.

“J-Jisoo-hyung has appeared again?”

“Actually,” Vernon sat down at the edge of his bed with a sigh; perhaps it

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter