Chapter 8

Love Will Find You
Please log in to read the full chapter

Monday evening.

Ha In was lying in bed scrolling the contact list on her phone up and down. To call or not to call.

Apparently, she was done sulking, but that mean ahjussi still wouldn’t call her first. And here he was supposed to be the matured one between the two of them.

She frowned and cast the phone to the side. Why should she be the one calling? He wasn’t entirely right, either. So what if he stopped coming around? He was just another person she got to know by chance after all. Someone who came and left. Just like all those people who did.

“Keh, who am I kidding?” Ha In sighed before picking up the phone and dialed Dong Wook’s number.

Lee Dong Wook was no passerby, she had to acknowledge that much. No doubt he was a friend. True she only got to know him for a week, but it wasn’t every day you found someone you could get along with so well. Someone like that in her life was like an endangered species in the wild, so no way would she let her pride convince her that he was just another stranger.

“Hello?” a calm voice spoke from the other side. Damn it pissed her off when she seemed to be the only one worrying.

“Are you still mad?” There. Straight to the point. Go Ha In didn’t like beating around the bush.

“Are you calling to say sorry?”

“No, but I’m calling first cuz I’m the bigger person.”

“Oh, is that right?” She could have sworn she heard him snickering at her.

“Yes. That’s why I’m willing to put this fight behind me, and I’m suggesting you do the same.”

“Because you’re the bigger person?”

“Because I’m the bigger person, yes.”

“Pfft!”

“I heard that!” Urg! She really wished there was someone she could report to. Usually, when Jinhyuk bullied her, Sunny would chew him out for her. Just you wait Lee Dong Wook. There must be somebody.

“Fine. On one condition, though.”

“What? But I’m the one offering the truce here!”

“Aren’t you the bigger person? The least you can do is play along with me.”

“Hmph! What is it?”

“You’ll do as I say without protest until your ankle’s healed.”

“You might just tell me to walk into a car, who knows.”

“I’ll pretend you didn’t say that.” That sentence alone entailed that she damn well knew that he wasn’t the unreasonable type of person who would tell her to do something stupid for his own benefits. Ha In sighed in defeat.

“Fine, Hyung-nim.” She replied intentionally stressing on the word Hyung-nim which was usually used to address a mafia boss, hinting that she was considering him as someone close to a tyrant. Dong Wook chuckled at that.

“So how was school today?”

“Couldn’t go. I’ve been grounded.”

“Let me guess. Yeong Ji-shi?”

“She’s becoming more and more like my mom these days.”

“I’d like to meet her somedays. Pat her on the shoulder and tell her to hang in there.”

“Hey! I’m not that bad.”

“You’re a handful. So do you have class tomorrow?”

“At 3pm.”

“Alright then. I’ll be there.” Ha In was quiet because she promised not to protest. Dong Wook chuckled again as he said goodbye and hung up.

Ha In grinned to herself as she put the phone away. To say she was relieved was an understatement. These past few days wasn’t easy. Being mad and upset wasn’t easy. She didn’t like the feelings even the slightest bit.

She knew those feelings all too well. But it was nothing compared to the loneliness that was bred from the mere thought of the possibility that yet another person wasn’t sticking around. She would just let it be normally, but she was glad she did something about it this time. It was now crystal clear that Lee Dong Wook had become part of her surprisingly short list of people she called friends.

Go Ha In could be all cheery and friendly towards just about anyone, but the best she could brand those people was acquaintances. There were a lot of good people among them, but acquaintances nonetheless. She was truly glad that neither Dong Wook or Hayley were one of them. She had a strong feeling that they weren’t.

 

Phew!

Dong Wook sighed and then laughed in relief after hanging up the phone.

“Saved.” He was dying to come up with what to say to Ha In, but then he was saved by her phone call.

“What are you laughing all creepily for, Hyung?” Sung Jae poked his head in through his office door. Dong Wook frowned, not liking the idea of being caught by his nosey subordinate.

“I’ve just decided you guys have received enough torture for one day.”

“Oh. How kind of you.” Sung Jae bit out sourly as he walked in.

“What do you come in for, by the way?”

“Chan Yeol’s here to deliver the books you asked for.” As if on cue, Chan Yeol followed him inside and put some books on Dong Wook’s desk.

“Here they are, Hyung. But why do you want them anyway? I never knew you were into these kinda topics.”

“They’re not for me.”

“Hmm…curious.” Sung Jae folded his arms and look at their boss with great suspicion.

“Again, what’s your business in here, Yook Sung Jae?” Dong Wook demanded, but the guy in question just shrugged.

“Nothing. I’m just here to find out what caused your major mood swings, is all.”

“You’re too free.” Dong Wook shook his head and shooed them away lazily. “Now get lost, both of you.” And so they left him to his own world again.

“Must be a girl, I tell you.” Not a moment later, though, all the guys gathered up around Sung Jae’s desk as if they were in some serious discussion.

“Hyung doesn’t get all pricky cuz of a girl, though.”

“Isn’t he always pricky?”

“Yeah, but never for a girl.”

“Think this one is a special case?”

“YA! CLOSE THE DOOR IF YOU'RE GON' TALK BEHIND MY BACK!!!” Dong Wook bellowed from inside his office, sending them all scattering back to their own places.

……………………………

“Hey, there.” Said Dong Wook as he stopped his car in front of Ha In, who apparently was with somebody else today.

“Hi. Do you mind if Yeong Ji tag along today?” Ha In poked her head in through the window and asked. Yeong Ji had different schedules from hers. That was why they hardly went to school at the same time. Today’s class was the only one they shared.

“Not at all. Hi, I’m Lee Dong Wook.” He greeted Yeong Ji, who then smiled and nodded at him.

“Hi, so I see this is Mr. Responsible.”

“Mr. Responsible?” Dong Wook raised an eyebrow and turned to Ha In who was done settling herself at the front seat. “Is that what you call me behind my back?”

“Oh plea

Please log in to read the full chapter