Chapter 2

Byun Baekhyun and the Seven Chibi EXO

 

 

“Baekhyun, dear.”

Baekhyun stirred in his sleep and slowly pried his eyes opened. He shifted around and rubbed his eyes trying to take a better look at the source of the hushed voice calling for him.

 

“Mama..?” Baekhyun murmured when he saw a familiar figure in front of him, smiling beautifully at him. The figure approached him, step by step taking her time to reach Baekhyun who had his eyes wide open while sitting at the edge of his bed.

 

Baekhyun breathe hitched once his mother stood in front of him, still wearing that beautiful smile. It was her. It’s his mother!

Baekhyun who can’t contain his happiness, launched himself towards his mother. Unfortunately, he went through her and end up falling with a loud thud. The pain from the fall didn’t match the pain that he felt when he can’t hug his own beloved mother. Sensing the disappointed aura surrounding Baekhyun, his mother smile and knelt to match Baekhyun eye level.

 

“Sweetheart, don’t be sad.”

 

Baekhyun cried and muttered softly, “M-mommy. I-I mis-miss you s-so m-much.”

 

His mother cooed and nodded her head, “I know sweetie. I miss you too, so much.”

 

Baekhyun, through his blurry eyes saw the sincere smile on his mother face. The smile that he had missed for such a long time.

 

“I don’t know what to do, mommy. I thought that I can get through this, but I can’t,” Baekhyun blurted out as he hugged his knees against his chest.

 

His mom, scooted closer to him and hummed a soft lullaby to comfort her son. And it works.

 

“Baekhyun, I don’t have much time left. I need to go now,” her mom stated as she stopped humming.

 

Baekhyun pouted and shook his head, didn’t want his mother to go away.

 

His mom smile at the cute action, “Baek, listen carefully. You can do this. You will get your chance and once you get it make sure you run. Run as far as you can and soon enough you will gain what you deserve.”

 

“W-what?”

 

“Close your eyes, baby. Just close your eyes and go back to sleep. When you wake up, you will understand.”

 

Baekhyun obeyed and closed his eyes. His mother once again hummed the lullaby and Baekhyun was soon drifted to Dreamland. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun didn’t know how long he had passed out but by the time he woke up, the sun had already rise. He looked around his room confusedly.

 

That’s weird.

 

Someone had definitely come to his room. The curtain had been open and tied up nicely but why didn’t they wake him up?

 

It’s not like he’s complaining or anything but it’s weird because the guard will usually shove him of the bed early in the morning to do chores. He shrugged and started his morning with his usual routine.

 

 

He stepped out of his room, sighing along the way as he need to face the Queen. As he walked, he realized that there’s definitely something weird going on. There’s not a single trace of guards guarding the hallway. He wanted to ignore it so bad but it’s really weird as the Queen never and he meant never let the hallway left unguarded because she’s afraid that Baekhyun will do something weird like running away.

 

Then it clicks.

 

Baek, listen carefully. You can do this. You will get your chance and once you get it make sure you run. Run as far as you can and soon enough you will gain what you deserve.

 

His breathe hitched and his heartbeat increase rapidly. Is this for real?
 

He quickens his step and enter the kitchen. No sign of guard. He smiles and move to check the dining room and still no sign of guards. With a light step he started to look at every nook and cranny of the castle and he smiled widely when there’s still no sign of guards roaming around.

 

His steps came to a halt when he saw something that he never thought that he will see. The door was open. Like literally wide open, tempting Baekhyun to step out and ran far away. And that’s what he did.

 

With a smile plastered on his face, he ran. With a light heart and empty hand, he ran feeling as free as he could ever be.

 

 

 

 

But oh boy, the poor kid didn’t know what’s waiting for him.

 

“He already left, Your Majesty.”

 

The Queen look out the window and saw how Baekhyun happily ran towards the forest.

 

“Excellent,” the Queen said slyly with a smirk on her face.

 

 

~~~~~~~

 

 

“Ah, freedom,” Baekhyun happily chirped as he slowly entering the forest.

 

The forest was covered with tall and thick trees. Baekhyun was thankful that most of the trees produced fruits. Thus, he was delightful when he saw one of his favorite fruits dangling on the trees.

 

“Apple!” Baekhyun skipped towards the said tree and pick a handful of apples.

 

He sat under the tree and took one of the apples that he had picked. The beautiful vibrant red color was deceiving him to take his first bite. He fell in love with the first bite and before he knew it, he had done chowing his 5th apple. He smiled to himself and looked around him.  The cool breeze made Baekhyun felt at ease and soon he leaned against the tree, promise to himself that he will just take a short nap before continuing his journey.

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun jolted awake when he felt a breath fanning close to him. Slowly, he pried his eyes open.

 

“AAAAHHHHH!”

 

Completely awake, Baekhyun rolled to the side and eyed the stranger with a frown on his face. “WHO ARE YOU?” Baekhyun yelled as the stranger walked closer to him.

 

The stranger rolled his eyes and crouched to meet with Baekhyun’s eyes.

 

“Geez, I’m not deaf you know.”

 

Baekhyun glared at the stranger.

 

“I came here to kill you,” the stranger simply stated with an annoyed look on his face.

 

“ARE YOU CRAZY? HOW CAN YOU JUST SAY IT LIKE THAT?!!” Baekhyun yelled as he started to back away from the quite handsome stranger according to Baekhyun. But still as handsome as the guy is, Baekhyun was not going to let his life been taken away.

 

“Relax, it’s not like it’s going to be the end of the world. I just need to stab you or shoot you and take your heart to present it to the Queen. As simple as that,” the stranger said, and he shrugged as if his words didn’t effect the terrified boy.

 

“Did she let me go on purpose?” Baekhyun asked most likely to himself but the stranger nodded at him.

 

“When she told me that she will clear the way and let the door open, I thought to myself, who would ever fall for that trick?” Baekhyun felt embarrassed when the stranger looked at him, “but I should have known that if it’s you then it’s possible.”

 

Baekhyun fumed at those words. “Yes! I am that idiot who fell for that trick! Do you know how does it feel to be trapped? I never thought that I’ll say this but I’m glad I could escape from that place. My once safe place had completely turned to hell.”

 

The stranger chuckled at Baekhyun’s cute frown and shook his head, “My name is Kai.”

 

Baekhyun kept mum and played with the grass ignoring Kai.

 

“I’m a certified knight who carry sword with a huge responsibility to protect people,” Kai continued.

 

“Pffft, protecting people,” Baekhyun mumbled softly.

 

“That’s why we are going to run away. Together.”

 

Baekhyun lifted his head and he was met with Kai’s million-dollar smile.

 

“Wh-“

 

“Before you ask, yes I did say WE are going to run away. You ask about feeling trap? Trust me, I know it better than anyone else. I’ve been waiting for this moment and I’m going to help you to escape because that’s what we both want. Freedom.”

 

Pouting, Baekhyun lowered his head. “I’m sorry.”

 

“Nah, it’s fine. I’m a knight and I want to protect people, not kill them. I’ve been locked up in that place for a long time and when I finally got my first task I was disappointed because I need to kill people for other people satisfaction not because I was protecting people,” Kai said sadly.

 

With determination, Baekhyun stood up and reached out his hand.

 

“Let’s run away until we find our freedom.”