1/2

Long Distance

words : 4242 

 

 

 

 

 

Leo and Hongbin had been friends for a really long time. They entered the same school, even in the same university and faculty. They studied in a popular medicine faculty in the town. Hongbin was the smartest than Leo, so Hongbin always got A or B on exams. Hongbin always encouraged Leo to study harder, he even dragged Leo every Sunday to study in their library, which was always ended up with Leo sleeping while Hongbin studying.

Until in their third year, all of college student were busy to finish their essay in order to get their medical degree and apprenticed in the hospital. Leo also busy to finish his essay, he often went to library by himself, sometimes with Hongbin. Unlike him, Hongbin seemed not excited like his friends. He tended to spend his time with his new camera. Yeah, he bought it himself, he had been wanting to study photography instead of medical. His parents wanted him to become a doctor, like his father. and also his mother pushed him to study medical.they believed that Hongbin could be a great doctor someday. Hongbin never told them about his passion in photography, he didn’t want to break his parents’s heart.  Hongbin was being a good child, so he listened to them and went to study medical.

But after these years in studying medical, he somehow became bored and decided to take some break. He thought maybe if he bought a camera and took some good pictures, it could make him felt good and more happy. And that was true. He was happier and enjoyed being a photographer for a while. He even had sold some of his pictures and he got into a competition and won. Hongbin was so happy. But he was afraid if his parents found out that he had been absent for almost two months in his class. He even already got a call from his lecture, saying that if he continued like that, he might get drop out. Hongbin didn’t want the faculty called his parents, so he unwillingly came back to college.

Leo knew what Hongbin did these last months. He always covered Hongbin from his parents. He lied to Hongbin’s parents, saying that Hongbin was busy studying in the library, while actually Hongbin was busy in photography life. So one day, he tried to warn Hongbin.

They were in their favorite café, drinking their favorite latte. Hongbin’s drink still untouched, he still busy taking some pictures, cleaning his camera, fixing his camera, and whatever. Leo sipped his latte with eyes never taking off of Hongbin. he frowned, Hongbin used to study but why suddenly he stopped.

“Hongbin-ah?”

Hongbin didn’t respond, his eye still on the camera, zooming into somewhere.

“hongbin-ah?”

“Hmm?”

 Hongbin still ignoring him. Leo sighed, he ran his fingers through his hair as he frustrated.

“Hongbin, I want to ask something”

“ ’K ” came a curt reply. Leo rolled his eyes in annoyance.

“Look. You have to stop this. I. mean. It!”

But Hongbin still busy taking a picture, he even angled his camera towards Leo and snapped one picture of Leo’s scowling face. Hongbin giggled as he saw the result. Leo remained with his poker face. Hongbin showed him the result, and still couldn’t stop giggling.

“Awwh, look! Your face looked so funny!!”

“Enough Bin. I’m serious here”

“I’m serious too”

“Bin”

Hongbin contained himself and took a deep breath before putting his camera down on the table and looked at Leo in the eyes.

“Okay, so what is it? Mr. poker face?”

“You have to quit doing this and start focus on your study more! I already finished my essay. How about yours? I can help you-“

“No! No, Leo! I don’t want to quit. Okay? I want to do what I want. This! This is what I want!” he said with pointing his camera and glared at Leo.

Leo sighed, he knew that Hongbin would be stubborn about this.

“What about your parents?”

Hongbin was back ignoring him, he sipped his latte first and then picked up his camera. Leo gently put it back down.

“We’re still talking”

“I don’t know…. Just… just don’t ask me. it’s…. it’s hard okay?”

“I can help Bin”

“Please, give me a time”

“I’ll graduate next month with the rest of our friends.” Leo said with a low voice. He peeked through his eyelashes to see Hongbin’s reaction, but Hongbin looked calm. “And then we will went to the hospital”

Hongbin nodded, “good then. Congrats Leo!”

Leo frowned, “How about you?”

“I will, after you.” then Hongbin was back again taking some pictures. Leo shook his head gently seeing Hongbin’s reaction.

 

 

 

On the next year…

Leo just came home from the hospital. He threw himself to his fluffy bed. He groaned as his stiff back met with his soft mattress. he smiled, it felt so good to him. it had been a long time since the last time he slept on his bed. He had a day off today, so he could meet Hongbin this afternoon. He fished out his phone from his pocket and dialed Hongbin’s number.

The number that you’re calling is not active, please-

Leo tried for several times, but still got the same answer. He sighed. He really missed Hongbin. the last time he saw Hongbin was…… was it two weeks ago? Or… a month ago? Leo couldn’t remember, he really was busy in the hospital so he forgot to call or text Hongbin. Leo texted him if maybe he had a time to meet. He waited and waited. He was tired, and yawned. He checked his phone, but still got no message from his best friend. He decided to take a nap, he set his alarm first.

When Leo woke up, he checked his phone immediately and frowned, still got no text from hongbin. He went to take a bath and went to the kitchen.

“hey mom.” He kissed his mom on the cheek.

“I make something for you”

“Hmm, smells delicious”

His mom gave him a bowl of soup and Leo sat down to dig his food.

“So, how’s in the hospital?”

“busy, and busy and busy”

His mom laughed and ruffled his hair. and suddenly, she shouted loudly.

“OH! I forgot! I forgot to tell you. Yesterday, hongbin came here-“

Leo choked on his food, “What?”

“Yeah, and he gave this to you” she got up and walked to her bedroom and brought something like a medium box. She put it on the chair next to Leo.

“But he didn’t tell me anything, just that, and he seemed sad though.  What? Are you guys… fighting?”

Leo shook his head and opened the box. There was a small teddy, he knew it, it was Hongbin’s, it was his favorite, Hongbin had told him that. And a diary. His mom left him alone. Leo opened the diary, but it was an empty diary. A piece of paper fell off from the diary. He picked it up and read.

Buing buing…

Hello Mr. poker face

Ah, if you read this then i didn’t get the chance to see you for the last time. Forgive me please I never tell you about this. Look, have I told you about my winning in last competition? Well, they gave a scholarship in New York. You know how my passion in photography right? I really really want that scholarship. So i collected all my courage to tell my parents about this. At first, they were freaked out. They ignored me for almost a week. can you imagine it?it hurtsss maaan. Okay, back to the story. So, after they asked about my medical school, i also told them the truth. And… and I know, i broke their heart. But I just can’t continue that medical school. Because… it’s not my passion. Never be my passion. My passion is in photography. So they finally allow me to take the scholarship. Although I know, they still not okay with it.

And today, I have a flight to New York. I really hope I could see you for the last time. But sorry my friend, I was late, and you’re super busy. And for you information, I won’t use my number again. you know, i’m on abroad soon. So i can’t use my Korean number anymore.

I also gave you my fav teddy for you. so if you ever missed me, you could hug this teddy and thinking about me *wink wink wink

XD

Don’t worry, I’ll be back in three years, I promise. And Leo! Fighting!

 

 

 

Leo didn’t realize that his tears were falling down. He gently folded the paper and put it back into the box. He would be missing Hongbin so much. And now he didn’t know how to contact him. Hongbin didn’t have any sns account. Even an email. Or maybe he had, but Leo didn’t know it.

 

 

 

3 years later ~~~

Hongbin closed his eyes, listening to relaxing running water on the fountain near him. he still remembered this place so well.  He used to hang out with Leo in this café. Now, he was sitting alone, with his camera in front of him, and his mocha latter untouched. He had been there for an hour already. He already finished his degree in photography and already had a job in a big company in New York. He had only a week of holiday, so he decided to come back to Korea. Because he missed his parents and Leo so much. He wanted to meet Leo soon, but… he thought maybe Leo was busy. he hope they would meet up soon.

 

Leo was having his day off from the hospital. He was continuing his studying in medical as he wanted to be a surgeon. He was such a good doctor, although his face didn’t suit his personality. He may looked scary with his cruel face, but actually, he talk, greeted and treated all of the staff, patients, doctors, everyone with a smile and happiness. So everyone loves him.

It was 7 pm that he decided to go out, instead of laying on his bed all day. He went to the café, that he used to go with Hongbin. he always ended up there whenever he missed hongbin, and sat on their spot. He even brought his teddy in his laptop bag. He parked his car, and got off with his bag. He walked towards the counter and ordered his latte. He waited patiently, and paid it. He took his latte cup and walked towards his usual table. But he stopped in his track as he saw someone was sitting there. He glanced around, the café seemed full. He regretted it immediately, maybe he should just go home. But he wanted to sit on that chair. He was still standing there awkwardly. He debated himself, should he asked the man if he could sit there with him or should he just go home? Leo chewed on his lips as he walked closer to the man. He put his bag down, and tapped the man on the shoulder gently.

“Umm, so you mind if I sit here with you? Uh, there’s no empty chair”

The man slowly put his cupped down and turned around to meet Leo. “Sure, you can” the man smiled, showing off his dimples. Dimpels. Hongbin?

“Hongbin?”

Hongbin shocked, he quickly got up. “L-leo?”

“Hongbin! you’re back!!!” Leo immediately pulled Hongbin into a tight hug. “Oh my God! I’ve missed you so much Bin!!”

“Me too Mr. poker face”

“Yah!” but Leo laughed at Hongbin’s old joke, it felt good, it felt like home. Then Hongbin gestured him to sit down.

“When did you arrive here?”

“Last night.”

Leo nodded, “So.. how’s life?”

Hongbin beamed at him, he started to blabbering about his days in the New York. And Leo listened to him with a big smile and sparks in his eyes. He watched how Hongbin’s mouth moved so beautifully whenever he talked and laughed, how his dimples showed up. He felt attracted to it.

“And how is yours? I bet! It’s busy! right?”

Leo nodded, “Yeah, as always. And I continued my study, i want to be a surgeon, Bin”

“Wow! That’s good! Go go go! I’ll support you!”

“Thanks Bin, me too. I will support you too”

And they continued with their chit chat until it was 11 pm. Hongbin looked at his watch and gasped.

“Oh no! it’s almost midnight. Leo-yah, i think I should go home now”

“I will give you a ride then”

“Hmm?”

“Umm, did you bring your car?”

Hongbin laughed, “No! I can’t drive… hehe” he grinned like an idiot. Leo hit his neck as a joke and chuckled, “Fine.. let’s go” he pulled Hongbin’s hand as they walked towards the parking lot. He even opened the passenger door for Hongbin. and Hongbin rolled his eyes and stuck his tongue out.

“I’m not a lady!” that was he said and Leo laughed.

Leo went to the driver side, and he began to drive. He the radio with a low volume to avoiding any awkward.

“So, you’ll stay here forever right? You said that you finished your study there and got a job. Which company?”

“Umm.. no. I’m not staying here. I’ll come back to New York this Sunday”

“WHAT!” Leo suddenly kicked the brake hard, making both of them jerked forward.

“Woah.. Leo-yah? Can you drive safely? I still want to live!”

“Sorry, Bin? Are you serious? You… you will go back to.. but.. wait! No! don’t tell me that you work in that big company in New York!!”

Hongbin rolled his eyes, he knew that his best friend looked so dramatic.

“Yesss. I work in New York, it’s Jellyfish company. They only gave me a week holiday.”

“oh” Leo sounded sad so hongbin leaned closer to see Leo’s face. Leo glanced and scowled when he heard Hongbin snorted and turned into a fit of laughter.

“What?”

“why you look so funny whenever you’re making that face”

“What face!” his face was still scowling. Hongbin pointed at his face, “that face!” and laughed harder. Leo glanced and smiled seeing Hongbin laughed like that. On the rest of the way, Hongbin kept laughing and mocking his face, until Leo slowed down and parked his car in front of Hongbin’s house. Hongbin was still laughing, and Leo had had enough. He grabbed Hongbin’s hands and leaned his face closer. Hongbin slowly shut his mouth as they stared one another. He noticed the gruff beard on Leo’s chin, a thin mustache, a wet small pink lips. He also watched how Leo darted his tongue out to wet his lips. He realized their positioned, so he quickly pushed Leo away.

“Um, Oh! We’re here. Sorry leo, I can’t invite you in, you know it’s almost  midnight. You have to go home safely Leo! Byeee”

Leo grabbed his hand one more time, “wait”

Hongbin looked at their tangled hands and then to Leo’s face, “What?”

“Ah… Can I get your number?”

“Umm, sure.” So hongbin gave his number, his SNS ID.

“Thanks.. I’ll text you later”

“Yeah,please drive safely” Hongbin got off from the car and Leo rolled his passenger window down, he waved his hand to Hongbin who waved him back happily and drove away.

 

 

 

They kept texting and calling in the night or whenever Leo had a free time. Until it was Saturday, Leo asked Hongbin to go a short trip with him. So, Hongbin quickly changed his clothes and waiting for Leo to pick him up. He also brought his camera with him. When he saw Leo’s car, he jumped up and down excitedly and got in to the car. Leo smiled at him, “ready?”

“Yes!!!”

Hongbin sang on their way to their destination, until he realized he didn’t know where they were going.

“Wait. I didn’t know where are we going?”

Leo chuckled and shook his head, “You’ll see”

“What if I don’t like the place and want to go home? Will you take me home?”

“Yes, i will kick your so you will fly to your house”

Hongbin gasped dramatically, “I thought you were my best friend”

“i am”

Hongbin made a face to him, “I will kick your first if I don’t like the place later!”

Leo only laughed and focused on driving while Hongbin continued singing loudly in his car.

 

Hongbin couldn’t close his mouth when they arrived at their destination. Leo took them to a lake, with beautiful scenery around them. Hongbin quicklt grabbed his camera and kept snapping some pictures. Leo let him to take his time, he walked towards the lake and sat on the grass. He lay down and gazed up to the sky. It wasn’t too sunny that day, it was a perfect day he thought. he closed his eyes for a moment, inhaling a fresh air. He felt a finger poking his side and he opened one of his eyes. Hongbin was lying on his stomach and rested on his arms, he grinned down at Leo.

“You’re no fun ahjussi”

“What? What did you just call me?” Leo glared at him jokingly as he grabbed Hongbin’s waist and started tickling him there. Hongbin laughed loudly and struggled to get free. Leo turned their positions, so leo was on top of him still tickling Hongbin’s sides.

“What did you just call me? hmm?”

“Ahjussi! Ahjussi! Stop it!! Aah !! i’m.. hahaha! Stop!! Ahjuss aah!!” Hongbin kicked his feet vigorously. Leo had so much fun and he also tired from tickling Hongbin. he rolled over and tried to catch his breath. Both of them were still breathing hard from their tickling session. Leo looked for Hongbin’s hand and held it gently. He intertwined their fingers as they still looking at the sky.

“So, are you going to kick my ?”

Hongbin snorted, “No! I don’t want to kick your flat ”

Leo lifted his head and looked at Hongbin with a scowl on his face, “Say what?”

“Oh nothing” Hongbin pretended that he didn’t say anything while Leo smirked as he lay back down. They continued like that until it almost sunset. Hongbin had his camera on and ready to snap a picture. He also pulled Leo suddenly and pointed his camera on them and he took a picture of them. He examined the result and had a big smile on his face.

“Awwh, look! We look so cute here!” Leo snorted as he heard Hongbin said “cute” and peeked out. He smiled secretly when he saw how close they looked in the photo.

Leo drove back to Hongbin’s house, and now, Hongbin spent his time singing a ballad song. They already ate dinner near the lake. It was 9pm, they arrived at Hongbin’s house. Hongbin still stayed in the car, he glanced at Leo and surprised to see Leo stared at him back.

“Okay, I think this is our goodbye?”

“What time is your flight tomorrow?”

“10 am”

“I’ll try to meet you there”

“No, just.. don’t. I know you’ll be busy”

“I will come”

“Ahjussi, it’s fine. I’m happy that we spend our day like this today. Thank you so much”

Leo only smiled at him, “Go now, you have to sleep so you won’t be late tomorrow”

“Alright ahjussi! Drive safe!” and Hongbin got out of the car and waved him goodbye.

 

 

 

Hongbin walked with his parents on his sides in the airport. It was time for him to go check in and bid his goodbye. He hugged his parents and kissed their cheeks.

“I will miss you again mom, dad”

“We’re too son! Take care, okay?”

Hongbin flashed them his dimples, “yes, dad! Bye Mom, dad! I love you!”

“We love you too honey” said his mom as she waved him goodbye. Hongbin felt so grateful to have a parents like them, he knew that he had shattered their dream but he promised that he would work harder, so he could make them happy and not making them worried about him.

Hongbin walked to the check-in area, he turned around once more, it was 9.45 am, and he expected Leo to come. But all he saw was only his parents smiling at him. he smiled back, a big smile so they won’t notice his sad face. he sighed and continued walking with slumped shoulders.

“HONGBIN! HONGBIN!”

Hongbin quickly turned around and looking for the owner of that familiar voice. He saw Leo was running to him. Hongbin’s mouth turned into a big curve of smile. “You came!! Ahjussi!”

Leo immediately hugged him tightly, Hongbin saw his parents and everyone’s eyes on them but he didn’t care. He only smiled to his parents, as they smiled back. they knew about their relationship.

Leo pulled away and looked him in the eyes, “I will miss you”

“Me too”

Leo grazed his fingers on Hongbin’s soft cheeks. Hongbin closed his eyes, feeling the soft touch, inhaling Leo’s parfume.

“I have to go” he opened his eyes slowly and met with Leo’s.

“I know”

“We will meet again”

“When?”

“Next year”

Leo nodded, “Please, reply my chat on the sns, okay?”

“Yes ahjussi” he made a salute gesture to Leo and turned around to walk to the check-in area.

“Bye Leo!”

“Bye Bin!”

And Hongbin walked away, he turned around one last time and Leo still stood there. He smiled and waved to Leo then walked away. Leo still not moving, he waited until Hongbin’s plane took off. he watched it went higher and farther. He felt something on his shoulders and turned around. It was Hongbin’s parents, they smiled to Leo and patted his shoulders.

 

 

 

 

Hongbin kept replying Leo’s chat, and they also made a video call whenever they had a free time. They also became more playful towards each other in their chats. Like sometimes they both teased one another with “honey” or “sweety” “darling” etc. then it became their habit to calling each other like that.

Day to days, month to months, and the next year…

Hongbin just landed in the Seoul, he carried his trolley full with his bags towards the exit. His father told him that he would pick him in the airport. But he didn’t see his father’s face.

“HONGBIN-AH!”

He found Leo was waving towards him with a stupid smile on his face. Hongbin almost squealed when he saw Leo. He pushed the trolley towards his best friend, while Leo was running to him. they hugged first and spun around. Leo helped him to carry the trolley towards his car.

“i thought my father will pick me up”

“Yeah, I told them that I was going to pick you”

“Thanks ahjussi!”

Leo chuckled, “What? I thought I’m your honey”

Hongbin’s cheeks turned red from embarrassment, “shut up”

Leo smirked as he saw Hongbin blushed.

 

 

One day..

They spend the day in Hongbin’s house, Hongbin’s parents was throwing a small party. It was only their family and neighbors, Leo’s parents also attended. Hongbin took Leo to his room, like they used to.

“Are you free today?”

“Yep!”

“Oh! I almost forgot”

Hongbin pulled something from his bag and he gave Leo a small and long box. Leo chuckled, “i remember that today is not my birthday”

“I know, just open it. It’s my gift for you, i know it’s late but. Congrats for your Master of Surgery. I’m so proud of you!”

Leo smiled cheekily and winked at Hongbin,Hongbin groaned seeing that. Leo opened the wrapper gently. It was a luxurious pen, it also had his name on it. Jung Leo

“Wow”

“So, you like it? Ahjussi?”

Leo nodded, he put the pen back down into the box and placed it on the nightstand.

“I never ask you for a gift, Binnie. Why are you doing that?”

Hongbin shrugged, “I don’t know, it’s just… i was strolling around the mall and saw this. So i thought of you, i don’t know if it useful to you or not, i just… i just want to give you”

“You’re such a sweet boyfriend!”

“Ew? Boyfriend!” Hongbin laughed as hard as he could, he shook his head, “never! I’m not into boys!”

Leo smiled seeing Hongbin laughed out loud, but why he felt something hurting his heart.

They were lying on Hongbin’s bed after some small talks. They felt tired, hongbin yawned for the nth times. Leo chuckled, “you can just sleep Bin-ah, you’re tired”

Hongbin only hummed and Leo continued hearing Hongbin’s soft snore. Hongbin had fallen asleep. he looked at Hongbin’s sleeping face, Hongbin looked calm, he gently traced his finger on Hongbin’s mouth, chin, cheeks. He smiled when he saw Hongbin’s small pout. He tempted to pinch those cute lips, but he didn’t want to wake Hongbin up. He kept looking at Hongbin until he himself felt tired.

 

 

 

It had been a week already..

Times flied so fast

Hongbin had to go back to New York, again. and they had to separated again.

Like the last time, Leo watched Hongbin gone and waited until he couldn’t see the plane anymore. He had to wait for another year to see Hongbin again. He really wished that Hongbin changed his mind to work in the Seoul, so they could see each other more often. He really wished, and he felt angry to himself, why he couldn’t say that to Hongbin earlier.