Slow and Steady

Attraction

Krystal lets out another gruff, wiping down her sweaty forehead with the back of her hand. It had taken nearly an hour but she had finally moved all of the boxes containing her belongings from the moving truck, up 3 flights of stairs and into her new dorm room. They were now all stacked in the living room on the verge of toppling over. Wanting to finish the move as quick as possible, she didn’t put in much effort to balance them right.

Her back aching and muscles burning, all Krystal wanted to do was sleep. Turning away from the numerous amount of boxes in front of her, she gets a glimpse of her new bed in the room just before her. The urge to just sleep with no sheets or pillow was immense, but not knowing who resided in that bed before her and what they did on it, Krystal decided against her impulse.

Pushing and kicking boxes aside, she ventures deep in the mass for the one labelled 'bedroom.' Her energy already dry from the work out before had left her with pathetic attempts at moving the boxes around during her search. It took about 5 minutes to find what she was looking for.

The perfect nap seemed just in close reach. Krystal already smiling at the sheer thought. The illusion was rudely washed away though when she dug deep into the box only to find half of her items missing. In complete horror, she finds that the tape at one side of the bottom of the box had decided to give way.

Frustration rising within her, she was already up, storming towards the front door to collect her strewn items she assumed was all over the stairs and hallway by now.

"What a great way to start college," Krystal grumbles under her breath, shoving her shoes on.

Before she could pull the door open a light knock catches her off guard, causing her to jump on the spot. Still sweaty and disheveled from before, Krystal opens the door, "Yes?"

"This was on your doorstep."

She didn't know what shocked her more. The fact that a box of her very, very intimate items was being presented to her widely open, revealing its contents, or the person holding it.

"Taeyeon?"

She hasn't seen the girl in front of her for over a year now. She had heard no news of how the older girl was doing, but she didn't really expect to hear anything due to the fact that she never asked or cared for the girl's whereabouts.

Her hair was longer than the last time she saw her. The dark, ebony hair laid hidden under a grey snapback, keeping her side fringe in place. The once expressive deep, brown eyes that had always and only stared at her was gone. It was cold now, devoid of any emotions. Her face stayed expressionless, no sense of familiarity was worn on the girl's face.

Instead, Krystal watched as she cocked an eyebrow at her, her deep voice causing a shiver to run up her spine.

"Do I know you?"

//

Straightening back up from her stretch, Tiffany made sure her iPod was securely strapped around her arm. Grabbing her pink sports towel, she hangs it around her neck before quietly leaving her dorm room, not wanting to wake her dormmate.

The sun was still rising by the time she got out from her building, it was just hitting 6:30 in the morning. A jog around the campus had become part of her routine for nearly a year now. A small workout in the morning seemed to always lift her mood greatly for the day ahead, also waking her up efficiently.

A peaceful alone time was also magnificent. It allowed for her to think and clear her mind without anything acting as a distraction.

Getting into this college on a scholarship was hard in itself, but keeping up and fulfilling the reasons as to how she got in kept her motivated to continue her morning run.

But something else lately has been keeping her motivated.

She had just gotten back a week ago from her semester break and was keen to not only see her friends and squad, but also a particularly small girl who always seemed to have headphones on and a guitar case nearly bigger than her on her back.

It was strange to see another person roaming the campus at the time she was to run. However, she had gotten used to the early walks of shame or groggy lecturers downing their cup of coffee.

Tiffany had first caught sight of the girl when she was walking in the opposite direction as her on the footpath. She walked with such a calm aura, her head swaying every now and then as she mouthed to the music she was listening to, Tiffany presumed.

She found it strange, but she never questioned why the unknown girl was up so early. It wasn't really her business anyways.

What caught her attention the most wasn’t the fact that the girl seemed to be an early bird, but was because of a particular morning run she had. The sun had yet to rise that day. It was still dark out, the moonlight giving her just enough light for her to run without falling into a random ditch.

She had reached the open field, where the environmental groups usually meet up to talk about greenhouse gas or something. Still tired, she had her soul shocked from her body when she caught a dark figure moving from behind a tree.

Not one for scary situations, she had closed her eyes, running faster just in case the unknown figure decided to attack her. When she knew she had ran far past the tree, she finally opened her eyes and dared to look behind her.

It was a perfect sight. The sun was finally rising, shining past the tree giving her a breathtaking view of her unknown girl, headphones still on with her back leaning against the tree as she snuggled up against her guitar.

Tiffany didn't know what it was, but something drew her closer to the snoozing girl. As an excuse for when she thinks back on that day, she just brushes it off saying she was just being a good samaritan.

She had levelled her breathing, her sprint from before burning her lungs. Squatting beside her, Tiffany didn't feel the slightest intrusive as she watched the girl sleep. Her chest slowly rising and falling, breathing rhythmically, Tiffany was so entranced that she didn't notice her own falling into the same pace.

A light breeze blew past them, causing Tiffany to shiver as it ran over her slightly sweaty arms. An amused smile found its way onto her face when a leaf fell lightly onto the girl's head. Reaching out, Tiffany wanted to pluck it off for her.

He hand still reached out, fingers lightly grasping the leaf's stem, Tiffany was caught red handed when warm brown eyes held her own widened ones. The girl lifts her head up slightly, curious as to what Tiffany was doing. Taking this chance, Tiffany removes the leaf, wanting to silently prove that she wasn't some creep.

The silence between them stayed. The girl now staring curiously at her, and Tiffany not knowing where to look now that her excuse for being this close is gone. Tiffany didn't know she was creepily panting until a blue water bottle was held out to her.

"Thirsty?" Headphones now lowered to rest against her nape, the girl’s low voice made her want to lean in closer.

She found it surprising that girl didn't seem to mind much. Let alone offering a drink to someone she didn’t know, that was just a second ago hovering over her. Not one to pass up such an opportunity, Tiffany's lips trembled as they gently pressed against the mouthpiece of the bottle.

"Thank you," she whispered.

A curt nod was given in response. Tiffany couldn't help the smile that just a sheer nod from a stranger had caused. When and how did she become so infatuated with this girl?

Tiffany couldn't help smiling now from the memory. She had reached the open field, and just as usual, the girl was leaning against that specific tree. She slowed her steps, doubling over as she panted. She had sprinted here from sheer excitement, having not seen the girl for the entire break was for some strange reason painful and made her feel longing.

She wiped her neck, jaw, then forehead down before facing the girl who was already holding out the blue water bottle.

"Morning." It was short, but all of their conversations consisted of short sentences that were straight to the point.

Hearing the girl's deep, melodic voice was enough for Tiffany to smile, her eyes hidden under the crescent formed from the cheek aching motion.

"Good morning." She still didn't know her name.

"How was your break, Tiffany?"

Watching her pull her headphones down to hang at her neck, Tiffany was so mesmerized hearing how her name rolled off her tongue that she didn't question how the girl even knew her name to begin with.

She took a seat on the grass in front of the girl who shifted to get more comfortable against the tree, her guitar left to lie over her crossed legs. Tiffany didn't question the unknown feelings the girl in front of her effortlessly made her feel. When she did think about it, it made her feel silly. Like she was trapped in some sappy, teenage love story. She just thought that it was best to let whatever is happening happen.

As the girl leaned forward, picking a leaf off of her head, Tiffany's breath hitched. Déjà vu.

She didn't mind anymore that she didn't know the girl's name. She enjoyed the small time they spent together and at the pace they were going. Maybe she didn't need to know her name at all for now. Everything, right now in this moment, seemed right in the world to her. As cliche as it sounds it was like it only consisted of the two of them. Tiffany couldn't be happier than right here as the girl in front of her graced her with a small smile that if she blinked she could have missed.

Tiffany now went on runs for one sole reason and that reason was right in front of her.


I kinda got lazy and gave up on editing this, so please excuse all of the grammar/punctuation mistakes... and the fact that I wrote this two years ago...