01.

Do You Like Me?

A sudden poke on my cheek made me jump up from my seat a little and woke me up from my nap. I my dried lips and noticed that I drooled a bit. Dang, that was a good dream indeed. I was a secret agent and went undercover for a mission in Japan with my partner, Seungkwan whom in real life is actually my best friend since kindergarten up until now.

When I opened my eyes, I saw a person wearing uniform pants, expecting it'd be Seungkwan wanting to wake me up. We do go to the same high school, but we were in different classes.

My blurry eyes then started to focus on the face of the person as I tilted my head up. I slightly gasped. It was a male student, but it wasn't Seungkwan. It was him.

Kim Mingyu.

The person whom I had been crushing on ever since middle school. He had a tiny mole on his left cheek that wasn't very visible from afar. He also had this delicate look everytime he smiled. Apart from that, he was very tall. Like, Michael Jordan tall. We were classmates for a few months now but why did he poke my cheek? Why did he wake me up? I was confused.

"Uhm, what are you doing?" I said as I fixed my messy hair.

"Did the teacher call for me?" I asked again, averting his eyes. It was my first time actually talking to him. Well, probably because I was too shy to do so. I looked around the class and it was empty, besides me and him. All the teachers had a meeting the whole day, so the students were left to their own devices. Of course, we were given homework.

"No. It's recess time, I was just afraid that you'd miss it since today's choice of menu is honey-glazed chicken wings and bulgogi. Practically everyone's in the cafeteria right now. You've been sleeping for a while, so I thought you'd be hungry. Seungkwan came by just now and tried waking you up, but you didn't even budge," he said.

Did he probably... stared at me sleeping?

"Well, I don't really feel like eating." I said.

"So......," I trailed off. "You can probably go now?"

What did I just say? Ugh. I felt like slapping myself.

"Wow. That was harsh. A 'thank you' might do at least." Mingyu's voice became slower. He rubbed the back of his neck and started to walk out of the class.

I sighed.

Now I felt so guilty with my words.

"Hey, wait!" I said causing him to stop in his tracks. "Okay... I'll go and eat." I stood up from my seat.

What did I just do? Shouldn't I have said sorry or thank you instead? I don't understand myself sometimes.

He turned around and said what I least expected him to. "You need to pay for my meal though, because you hurt my feelings just now." He made a pouty face and put his hand on his chest as though he was in pain. "Oh, and my favourite drink too."

Seriously, this guy. This was not how I'd imagine our first conversation would be. How'd I even know what was his favourite drink???

 


 

"Are you kidding me? I spent over 30 dollars on both chicken wings and bulgogi last time just for you. You even ordered extra! And you made me buy snacks for you yesterday because you were complaining so much. Now, you want me to buy you some more drinks?"

It's been over two weeks since that little incident happened. Since I started talking to Mingyu.

"The weather today's kinda hot, don't you think? Might make me sweat a lot," Mingyu smirked at me.

Gosh, I wanted to punch him in the face for real.

This won't do.

"Yah, Kim Mingyu. Do I look like a joke to you? I'm not a bank, you know. I don't work part-time every evening just to simply spend money on people." Recess was already over by then. I didn't see Seungkwan at the cafeteria, though. He was probably at the library sleeping or playing Pokemon in the computer lab. That guy would sacrifice his break time just to level up and catch more Pokemons.

Both of us were in the hallway walking back to class. I still had an essay to finish. Lately, there has been a lot of meetings and courses, so the teachers would just dump heaps of homework and tasks for us students. Mingyu slowly stopped in his step, making me stop as well.

"Do I look like a joke to you?" His tone of voice suddenly changed.

He turned his head to look at me. He face so serious all of a sudden and there was this cold expression on him. His eyes fixed on mine as my brain started calculating what was happening at the moment.

Did I say something wrong again?

I gulped and pursed my lips. "W-Why... are you... b-being like this?" I looked away from him. I could still feel his gaze on me.

Mingyu took a step forward only to be leaving a small gap between the two of us. I stepped back and realized that I was pinned to the wall. My heart started beating so fast. What was actually happening? What is he doing?

After a few seconds, I heard him let out a sigh. "Never mind. Let's just go back to class." He started to walk but his shoulders looked a bit drooped.

In class, I noticed that he looked kind of sad about something. Was it because of me? Or was something bothering him? He wasn't his usual self of being the one cracking up jokes or just plainly making noise when we had no teachers in the class. His head was on his table all throughout class.

I grabbed my bagpack and searched through it. Thank God I had an extra. It was supposed to be for Seungkwan, but I thought I'd buy him another one later. I walked up to Mingyu's seat on the lower left side of the class and placed a bottle of strawberry milk that I always bring with me everyday to school on his table.

"Hey... I'm sorry... if I said something that might've offended you. I don't know what your favourite drink is but you can have this. I'll buy you more when I get my salary," I said.

As soon as I turned around to return to my seat, he managed to stop me.

"Wait!"

I turned around and waited for what he was going to say.

"Well, don't you want to ask me what my favourite drink is?"

"Okay, what is it then?"

He looked at the strawberry milk that I had given him earlier and then smiled.

"This," he grabbed it and showed it to me.

"I know it's also your favourite, right? Milk tea, too."

My eyes widened.

"H-How did you know?"

"Duh, because you drink it like every morning before classes start and every time when you wait for your friend, Seungkwan at the gate. I'm not a stalker, don't worry. I just notice it because I happen to pass by the cafe both of you always go to everyday after school ends."

I smiled.

Wait.

Why did I even do that? I was aware that my cheeks were soon blushing.

 


 

When the bell rang, I packed my books into my bagpack and texted Seungkwan to wait for me at the school gate, so that we could walk back home together. Both of us lived in the same neighbouhood, that was why. As I was stepping out of class, I heard a deep voice call my name.

It was Wonwoo, one of my classmates.

"Hey, can you help me out a bit? Since we're partners for our History presentation could you look up about the Three Kingdoms Period? You can find out about Baekje and Silla. I'll take care of the rest."

"No problem. I'll call or text you if I need any help," I replied back.

"Sure thing. Catch you later," Wonwoo said and left the class.

Guess I've got to stay back a bit at the library today. I dialed Seungkwan's number and told him that I couldn't walk with him back home today as I had some research to do at the library.

"Aw man! I was hoping to get Double Choco shaved ice today after school. Such a bummer!" he said through the phone.

I let out a small laugh.

"You should stop eating so much if you don't want your cheeks to get any more puffier. Tomorrow, okay? I promise." I said and hung up.

I went to my locker before that to grab some notes and books to bring back home. As I was making my way to the library, a familiar figure suddenly passed right in front of me.

Eh? Is that?...

"Mingyu-ssi?" I asked the person from behind.

"Oh?" he turned around to face me when he heard me call his name. It was Mingyu.

"Are you... perhaps... stalking me?" he asked me with a slight smirk on his face.

"What?! Pffft, why would I even? I'm just on my way to the library. History homework."

"Oh? History? Me too. Is this what most people would call... destiny?"

I smiled and gave his shoulders a slight punch.

"I decided to finish it by this evening so that I wouldn't need to worry about it once I get back home. I can't trust myself especially when I'm in my room. I get easily distracted, you know?" Mingyu continued.

"Tell me about it," I said.

It was then quiet. Making our way to the library was kind of awkward. Since both of us did not know what to say or speak about.

"So...," Mingyu broke off the silence as we walked through the tall and long bookshelves inside the library.

"What exactly are you searching for? I mean, I could be of help since we're on the same subject."

"Mmm... Three Kingdoms Period? Precisely on Baekje and Silla," I said.

"What about you?"

"North and South Slates."

It was silent back again as we slowly walked. I looked left and right in search for the specific books. I then stopped in my tracks as I spotted a few books related to the topic I needed to work on.

"Hey, you know something about me. I mean, my favourite drink. So, its not fair though. I need to know at least a thing or two about you." Mingyu spoke up.

"What is it that you want to know?" I asked him while tip-toeing trying to reach for the book that was a bit more higher than I'd expect it to be.

Suddenly, I felt a warm hand over mine that was stretching out for the book.

"Do you like me?"