Guest?

Imaginary Friend (But You're Real To Me)

I tried updating and the story somehow ended up not having paragraph! Why you do that to me, browser?!! (;´ຶДຶ `) So, this is my second attempt. I really didn't expect that I'll update this soon. I mean,  I don't even plan to continue this. But there's an idea in my head I had to get out so, yeah. Btw, my final exam is in a month so the next chapter won't be out until then. Please be patient, all~~ 。^‿^。

******

One of the thing that Jeonghan hated the most was being disturbed when he's sleeping. He valued his sleep as much as he did his life because its not something he could easily get. Being an adult took a toll on his sleeping schedule and napping was really a luxury. 

At first, he thought it was just a dream. Soft, tinkling sound entering his mind, slow at first, not disturbing at all, until it grew louder and pulled him away from his sleep. At first, he tried to ignore it, stubbornly close his eyes and willed himself back to the dreamland but its not working. He's awake. And he don't like it. Is someone pulling a prank on him because if they did, someone is in for a hell of a pain. 

Then, he realised. 

He's alone. 

In his old room in his new house. 

And the music was still playing. 

Fur Elise... He thought as the familiar melody repeated like a broken tape, never really getting far like the original piece. The sound is akin to tinkling, and he knew it was from a music box. It was so familiar, his mind flooded with nostalgia. 

*flashback*

"Eomma can't be here to sing you to sleep every day so I'll give this to you." Mrs Yoon put a music box on his five years old son's lap, the azure wooden surface shone brilliantly under the ray that sneaked into his small room through the window. His small hands eagerly opened the box and his ears immediately graced with such a beautiful sound. The woman smiled fondly at the amazed look on his face. 

"Fur Elise... That's the name of the piece. Do you like it?" The little boy nodded enthusiastically, showing off his perfect row of teeth in a charming smile. His eyes sparkled as they stared at the ballet dancer dancing in front of the mirror along with the melody. 

*flasback ends*

"No way... " Jeonghan muttered in disbelief as the sight of the music box from his childhood greeted his view, placed innocently on the study desk. He pushed himself up and cautiously walked towards the somehow intimidating thing, cautious as his sleep induced mind tried to make sense of what was happening. 

The ballet dancer was gone. The mirror was cracked. Even the wooden surface was filled with scratches and the colour chapped from the year consuming it. It had missing a lot of its glory as the time took a toll on its beauty but Jeonghan had always cherished it, still did despite his shock. He had left it the day they moved out and had never thought about seeing it again after that. 

His slender finger ran on the coarse surface, mind assaulted by the memories of him dropping it a few times over the years he owned it. It was a miracle in itself the music box was still working, the melody still sounding so smooth unlike its exterior. But, how did it get here? That, was the question Jeonghan had wrapped in his head now. 

The buzzing from his phone snapped him out of his stupor, his blank expression unwavering despite the heart attack he almost had. He fished the phone out of his pocket, the poor gadget stuck in there for God knows how long when he fell asleep. He sighed in relieve when the screen did not crack under his weight. "Joshua... " He read the name written on the notification, alerting him of a new message from his best friend. With a few touches, he read the message, a smile tugged on his thin lips. 

Shua: How's your new house? 

Jeonghan wasted no time in replying. 

Cheonsa: Prtty good wish ur here 2 hlp

A few minutes passed and his phone vibrated again. 

Shua: Awesome. 

The smile turned fond when he thought about how it was like Joshua to take that long only to answer with a single word. Mentally counting, Jeonghan was pleased with himself when a call came in right when he said three. He knew his best friend would call as texting was such a hassle and it would be a pain reading Jeonghan's short forms and typos. 

"Miss me already?" Was the first thing out of his mouth which formed a smug smile. He was replied with a scoff on the other line, his friend muttering something about Jeonghan always thinking highly of himself. "But yeah. Kinda miss you here." Joshua added after a thoughtful pause. Jeonghan hummed in content of the other's confession. "I miss you too. Really wish you're here to help my pretty, lazy ."

Another laugh boomed at his obnoxious reply. "Of course you did."

They were on the phone for quite some time. Although Jeonghan had just arrive at the house, he had been busy in the last few weeks that they can't have a proper meet up. His life was a little chaotic after his parents' death, what with the funeral he had to handle and the relatives he had to deal with. He had no time to socialise at all. 

"So... How is everyone?" Jeonghan's soft brown orbs followed the pattern formed by the starts on the coal, black sky as he stood by the closed window. He was asleep when its almost night and now, its already near midnight. He tucked the question of when did he even close the shutters at the back of his mind. Maybe its the wind that blew it shut. 

His chest tightened as Joshua started talking about their other friends. About how Jihoon is doing well with his music lessons and Hansol and Mingyu getting better at rap. Wonwoo was his usual studious self, always scoring high in his exams. Soonyoung and Jun was scouted by a huge company after their dance performance a few weeks back. Minghao, Seungkwan and Deokyeom also had it good either. And his baby Dino... Their beloved maknae got the first place for the first time in a dance competition. It took a lot for him not to cry. 

CLANG! 

Jeonghan barely reacted at the sudden loud noise, only a sharp inhale of breathe showed that he was actually shocked. Apparently, Joshua heard it too because he kept on asking if anything was wrong but the older just stayed silent. Uneasiness crept into him as the abnormal things that happened the mere few hours he's been in that house started to flood back into his head. 

"Jeonghan? Is everything okay? Are you still there?" Joshua was getting worried when the only respond he received was breathing sound. 

"Y-yea. Maybe its just the cat. Or mouse. You know how old this house is. I'll call you back, Shua." Without even waiting for a respond, he hung up on his friend and turned around. 

Maybe that was nothing. 

Maybe its just a mouse afterall. 

Maybe there's a ghost, or worst, a robber in the house and Jeonghan would had to face them alone without any help. 

"Think positive, Jeonghan. Its might be nothing." He muttered as he carried himself out of his room, carefully avoiding the part of the floor that would creak under his weight. 

The sound was heard again from the kitchen, and the nervous male tried to brace himself.