Home

Imaginary Friend (But You're Real To Me)

Last he saw him was when he was eight years old, crying and screaming as his parents pulled him into the car loaded with their things. Jeonghan never wanted to leave, knowing that he won't be able to see the boy who always sat on the window sill in his room again. Choi Seungcheol was his only best friend. A friend his parents forbidd him from having.

***

Twenty years old Jeonghan looked at the house before him, fingers running through his short, slightly wavy hair which is brown in colour. It had been seven years since he left. Many things had happened in those years. He changed house, changed school and found new friends. The memories of his best friend which used to haunt his nightmare slowly eased and finally settled at the back of his head. He was finally normal, the way his parents wanted him too.

How irony their death eventually led him back to the house.

Never once he thought about setting his foot inside the building again. His childhood days here had died the moment he was taken away and now, the time was going to move again as he returned as a young adult. This house was not that special too him. Never if its not for the friend that used to be with him. One that only he could see .

"Hey. I'm Seungcheol. Your imaginary friend. "

Somehow, he could still remember the first time they met, the memory vivid in his mind. He's able to make out Seungcheol's face without thinking too hard. Shaking his head, the more matured guy reminded himself not to get carried away with his child self. It was just a phase. He's over it. Seungcheol was not real doesn't matter how it seemed like he did years ago. "Okay,  Jeonghan. Stop thinking about the past. You're here to start a new life." He mumbled to himself before moving to the old building, a suitcase in hand.

Everything was the same as they left it. No one had rented the place ever since they left, he heard. No one knew why. Its almost as if the house was waiting for its original tenant to come home. 

He could imagine himself sitting on the floor between his mother's knees who leaned back on the couch, eyes focused on the tv screen while her hair ran through his beautiful hair in the living room. His father usually sat on the chair by the window, newspaper in hand and a cup of coffee on the small table by his side. (Seungcheol loved playing tag you're it there because the living room is spacious for little kids like them. And Jeonghan had always won the game due to various reasons, mostly because his friend had a soft spot for a pouty little him.)

The kitchen where his mother always cook delicious food for his family stood as if nothing had ever touch it. Even the wares were placed where he remembered. (Seungcheol used to accompany him when he sneaked there to search for some snack. The dark was helpful for his little mission but it scared him. Luckily, Seungcheol's present always made him braver.)

His parents room seemed a little bit empty. He was sure it was the same as the day they left. Maybe its just because he had missed them dearly. Despite their harsh ways of getting him over his imagination friend, they were mostly nice to him. And he found himself loving them more than he thought he did. (Seungcheol was naughty too before, seducingJeonghan to jump on the bed with him, which cause the latter to get a scolding in the end. But Jeonghan was not scared and didn't cry because Seungcheol was standing at a corner near them, always looking out for him.)

Compared to the other place, his old room was the only one which seemed to be in a good care. There was not a speck of dust or spiders in their tangled webs could be seen. Jeoghan looked around, wondering why was it so. But, he was too exhausted to dwell on such thought. (Seungcheol used to sit on the window sill as they chatted, disappear when his parents came into the room to make sure that he's not talking alone before appearing again and consoling the sulking Jeonghan. The night before he moved, Seungcheol had lied down on the bed with him, telling him stories until it was way past midnight as if trying to tell him everything before he's gone. It was the first time the had kissed too... Innocent peck on the cheek before Jeonghan drift to sleep, small hand in Seungcheol's cold one which somehow brought warmth into his chest.)

After he put away all of his clothes into the closet, Jeonghan lied back on the bed of his childhood room, choosing that instead of the master bedroom which was his parents' (it still felt empty there) and, feeling vulnerable, let his mind ran. Somehow; not that it bothered him, Jeonghan found himself reminiscing about his time with Seungcheol more than with his own family as he first thought when he signed the deal. After all of those years... And he's still holding on to the useless past of his. If wishing for his dead parents was bad enough, wishing for someone that never exist was ten times worst. 'But he did exist once... Even if its only in your head... ' He thought bitterly. Finally, he drift to sleep as the journey to his new house took its toll on his body.

"Hannie... You're finally back..." A silhouette sat by the window, body taking more space of the frame unlike before when he was so small, eyes directed to the sleeping angel. "I've missed you." His whisper carried on the wind from the opened window, blowing gently onto Jeonghan's face which started to relax. The silhouette then gone, and the shutter was closed.