The End

Before I Die

Jaehwan gathers his stuff getting prepared to leave his office. Work today is unbelievably tiring. He casts a glance on his wrist watch. It's almost 10 p.m. He lets out a heavy sigh and coughs.

He is not really in a good condition lately. He coughs non-stop and is feeling a bit tired than usual. Especially during this time when the company he is working at is receiving a lot of new clients. Sometimes, he regrets being in one of the well-known company because he knows it's going to be so hectic and busy. But, Jaehwan being Jaehwan, he works hard. So much harder than his friends. Not only that he is loved by the clients, he is loved by everyone. His cheerful personality and random jokes make everyone feels happy around him.

He closes his eyes leaning against his office chair. His fingers rubbing his tired eyes. He loves his job. But sometimes, it becomes too much that he needs to take a break to get him into a proper mindset again.

And then Jaehwan remembers something. He hasn't had his dinner yet. "No wonder I am feeling so tired," he mumbles and grabs his bag and coat, heading towards the parking lot, greeting the guard with his cheerful grin as usual.

 

Jaehwan gets into his car and drives home. On his way, he stops by a 24-hours convinient store near his house. He always shops here especially when he always gets home late. He can even call himself a regular here.

He parked his car on the roadside, loosening his tie and pulling his shirt's sleeves mid-arm. He goes inside the store and throws a side glance towards the cashier.

Oh, she's new.

He walks towards the fast food aisle and looks for his favourite instant noodles. He grabs two cups of them and a can of iced coffee and bring them to the counter.

He gives the cashier girl a smile. 'Hyerin' is what the girl's name is. He reads her nametag. She returns the smile and then he noticed she has chewing gum in .

 

"New here?" he asks trying to sound friendly.

 

She nods letting out a small hum, approving.

She looks years younger than him. Short hair, chewing gum, the way she stands on her feet. She gives off a boyish vibe to him. He slightly chuckles. "What? Is there something in my hair?" her hands quickly flies to her hair fixing it by looking at the reflection from the glass door. "No, it's nothing. Nice to meet you," he grins and waves her goodbye leaving the cash on the counter and drives home.
---

Today, he feels droopier. He feels droopy every day. This tired feeling Jaehwan has started from a few months ago. It started with a fever for a week and then he never thinks he recovered. A lot of his friends asked him to see the doctor but he keeps on saying later and that he's too busy with work to go to the doctor. Today his shoulders feel heavy. Very heavy. Not to mention the unstoppable coughs. His eyes are red and he looks skinnier. "Jaehwan-ah, are you alright? You look sick, mate," Wonshik, one of his close friends, his office mate. Worry washes over his face.

Jaehwan gives him a weak smile. "I'm okay. Just a little sick," "Dude, what? You look very terrible,"
"Thanks Wonshik. But seriously, I'm fine," Jaehwan rolls his eyes playfully. This friend is always over reacting even if there's nothing to worry about. "Stubborn as always," Wonshik mumbles to himself and continues his work.

Jaehwan chuckles.

Suddenly, he feels sick. He pushes his chair away from the table and rushes to the washroom startling Wonshik.

Once he gets into the toilet, he goes straight to the sink and throws up. "Hey, Jaehwan, you okay?" Wonshik says, worry obvious in his voice.

 

"That's it. I'm taking you to the doctor today,"
---

Jaehwan walks out of the doctor's room. His face blank. He feels his whole world shattering right in front of his very eyes.

Wonshik who is waiting for him outside sees him and noticed something is wrong.

He starts to feel uneasy.

Jaehwan drags his feet, flopping himself on the seat next to Wonshik.

He stares at the blank wall in front of him. "Jaehwan... What is it?" Wonshik asks in a hushed tone.

Jaehwan turns his face slowly towards Wonshik. "Everything's gonna be fine... right?" Jaehwan voice is above whisper.

Wonshik sees Jaehwan's eyes glistening telling him tears are welling in his eyes.

He nods. "Yes, Jaehwan. Tell me what's wrong?" Wonshik worries intensifies. "Tell me, Wonshik. Everything's gonna be fine. Tell me," Jaehwan's voice is shaking. A few drops of tears already dropped down his cheeks. "Yes, everything's gonna be fine. Jaehwan, tell me what the hell is happening!" Wonshik shakes his weak body, demanding an answer.

Jaehwan gives Wonshik a sad smile. "...Right?" his voice cracks.

Jaehwan is holding himself from having a breakdown right there and then.

 

"Right... Everything's gonna be fine... Everything... is... going to be..." But he fails.

 

He throws himself in Wonshik's arms, not caring of everyone staring. He sobs. He sobs hard. Wonshik is too stunned to say anything. He has never seen Jaehwan crying before let alone sobbing this hard.

 

"Nothing's gonna be fine!" Jaehwan manages to say in between his sobs.

 

Jaehwan... Jaehwan... tell me what is it," Wonshik whispers trying to comfort Jaehwan.

 

"I'm going to die, Wonshik! I'm going to die!"