Chapter Two

Blind Revenge

Dispatch notified that they had a tail on the recent homicide incidents that were revolving around women around their twenties. Ever since Baekhyun was recruited, it was only just a matter of time till he could narrow down the exact locations for every call sent in. Everyone was listening attentively while Baekhyun gave them information about the murderer’s whereabouts.

 

“So it looks like this person we’re dealing with has a specific agenda. For every case that has no witness, the corpses are found in one piece within 15-18 hours after marked as missing. For every case with witnesses involved, it takes the search party 48+ hours to track down the body. Which in result, is left tattered.”

 

“Ok, does everyone understand? No one, make any movements to tip off the criminal. Otherwise, our work will be a lot harder. Especially you girls, don’t get ahead of yourself. Understand?” said Kyungil.

 

“Yes sir!”

 

Kyungil clapped his hands together. “Alright! let’s break.”  He signaled Baekhyun, “You, follow Yoon-mi and be her backup. I don’t know about the FBI or the NSA did things, but here regardless how smart you are, you take part in the action when needed. Got it?”

 

Baekhyun nodded, “Yes sir!”

 

“Good. Now let's go catch him before he makes his move.”

 

The team split up around the college campus according to Baekhyun’s information, searching for their target. Yoon-mi and Baekhyun ended up walking together, near a small market. She started to pick up her pace and walked a little farther than Baekhyun.

 

He casually walked next to her and put his arm around her and pulled her close. There was someone who he caught within his radar. The man seemed to be skimming the crowd for something...or someone.

 

“Honey, don't walk too fast. I know you’re angry at me but…” Baekhyun whispered. “We caught a little fishy, 3 o‘clock sharp.”

 

His arm caught her off guard and she shook it off, feeling uncomfortable. “Got it. Thanks. Although, you can tell me normally without touching me.”

 

Baekhyun shook his head. “Number one rule, don't blow your cover. Isn’t this your guys’ speciality? Is playing couple too weird for you?” He casually walked hand in hand with her in the general direction of the suspicious subject. “Plus, it's not like I'm enjoying doing this. The faster we get this done, the better.”

 

Yoon-mi stuttered, “N-no, it’s just unnecessary!” It wasn't just because it wasn't necessary. It was also the fact that she was uncomfortable being in the position they were in. She had never had to play pretend couple on an undercover stakeout. On the contrary, Baekhyun looked completely at ease.

 

Baekhyun was surprised by her flustered reaction. Her cheeks was clearly a shade or two redder. Then it clicked. He leaned closer to her. She took a half step back.

 

“You’re not used to this are you?”

 

Yoon-mi was distraught. “What are you? A mind reader? Anyways, let's talk about that later. That guy is on the move. Hurry, we need to follow him.”

 

Baekhyun smirked, “Dodging the question are we?”

 

Before Yoon-mi could argue back, the two received a message through their earpiece.

 

“...we have spotted him at point B.”

 

“Everyone move out!” Kyungil ordered through the comms unit.

 

The whole team surrounded the area. The suspect had managed to slip into a bustling courtyard. They were hosting an outdoor event so there were people from all ages there. Yoon-mi cursed under her breath. Of course, out of all places it would be a crowded area. She took a quick scan of the area.

 

“There's a large group of people. We need to find this guy fast before we have another victim.”

 

Baekhyun noticed how agitated Yoon-mi was and tried to calm her down. He touched her shoulder slightly.

 

“Don't worry, we know who our target is.”

 

Yoon-mi glared at him and shrugged his arm off. She walked off, leaving a baffled Baekhyun behind. The team casually mixed in with the crowd, trying not to stick out. All of them were keeping an eye out and watching for any strange behaviors before they took any action.

 

Soyeon, who happened to be the closest, unknowingly ran directly into the suspect.

 

“Sorry!”

 

Soyeon paused. There was a hint of musty smell that had rubbed off onto her clothes from the sudden contact.

 

“No worries young lady.” The man gave her a second look before he was about to walk off. “ Actually, would you like to come with me?” He handed her a card. “I’m recruiting people for my magazine. You look like you would be the perfect model. It’s quite rare to see women these days with natural long black locks like yours. We are looking for a hair model for our next shoot.”

 

“Oh really? I'm honored.” She took a quick scan of the area for any signs of her team. There was no one in sight.

 

Seriously, where are those idiots. This might be the guy.

 

She casually brushed her hair behind her ear to turn on her ear piece. With an inaudible click, the comm unit was live.

 

“So, where to? I have a half hour to spare before I head to class.”

 

The man smiled. “Let's go right around the building to where my office is. It won’t take long for the consultation.”

 

--

“Ya, where did he go?” Yoon-mi looked around. The tail they had spotted had disappeared while the two were bickering.

 

“You, why don’t you call me oppa? Be more lady like will you?” said Baekhyun while sighing.

 

“I don’t need to be more feminine for you.” She scoffed.

 

“Really cause I think you can use some more work.”

 

He was teasing her now but it looked like Yoon-mi had taken him too seriously. Her buttons were being pushed and overused. She was done with this new recruit talking down to her.

 

“You, what's your problem? It seems like you have something against me-”

 

The two kept bickering. She was just about to blow up, when both of them went silent, when they heard transmission from their ear pieces.

 

“Did you hear that? It sounded like Soyeon eonni. There was too much static though...she’s out of range.”

 

Baekhyun took out his laptop. “I’m already on it.” He tracked down the signal. “Ok! Got the coordinates.”

 

Baekhyun sent the coordinates to Kyungil and they moved out accordingly.

 

---

 

Soyeon was led to a musty, dim-lit office. The stench from the mold made her wrinkle her nose. It was obvious that this place wasn’t well kept and not hospitable. The musky scent was definitely from this office.

 

“So is this your studio?” She asked the man with a curious expression.

 

“Yes, could you please sit down there while I get the paperwork.”

 

The man left the room and she quickly turned her comms back live.

 

“Where the hell are you guys. Hurry up. Now.”

 

Right as she cut off her message, she heard the door creak open. The man approached her with a strange pouch in his hands.

 

Soyeon put on her best smile. It was time for her to make a break for it. “I'm sorry but I am running a little late, so I need to go to right now. Maybe we can schedule another time.”

 

Soyeon started walking towards the door but slowed down after a few steps. There was more than one of them. They had miscalculated their target. She picked up her pace after realizing so. The man's expression changed and he grabbed her shoulder.

 

“Miss, you're not going anywhere.”

 

“Excuse me?”

 

A box cutter made it's way in front of her neck, her head tilted back away from the blade. She made sure to keep herself composed but at this rate she would have to do something about it though they were ordered to investigate only without any advances on the suspect.

 

The man’s breaths were heavy on the back of her neck. “You should obey like a good girl unless you want to make this painful.”

 

Soyeon didn’t want to blow her cover but seeing that she came this far she might have to. “Mister..please..let me go.”

 

He ignored her and pointed the tip of the blade against her right cheek. She winced as he slightly pressed the blade against her skin, she felt a trickle of blood down from her cheek to her neck.


The man grinned wickedly. “Your face looks a lot better with a hint of red.”