Chapter One

Blind Revenge

 

“STOP!”

A group of cops ran after the thief as they maneuvered around the crowd of people in the streets of Gangnam.

“He's headed for the alley way!”

“Copy!”

The thief sharply turned the corner and he found himself at a dead end. Cursing, he threw his bag aside and grabbed a metal rod that was conveniently lying nearby. He swung it around wildly, threatening as he tried to think of an escape plan. He frantically looked for an opening to bust through.

“I’m warning you...stay away from me!” The thief continued to swing the rod violently. He wasn’t going to let his heist go down in vain.

“S-sir, please put down the rod and no one gets hurt.” One of the officers slowly approached him with his hands out in front as he tried to calm the man down.

The thief let out a maniac induced laughter and charged. He was ready to whip out a full swing but then in a matter of seconds one of the female team members from special forces swiftly got behind him and knocked the rod out of his hand. The man had no time to react whatsoever. He was shoved against the wall abruptly with his wrists pinned behind his head.

“There's no point in talking to him. He's not sane.” The female cop tighten her grip, “Newbies, remember to use your instincts and quick judgement unless you're asking for casualties.”

The female cop ended up knocking the man unconscious since he wouldn't stay still after several verbal warnings. He slid down, unconscious. Her female partner picked him up and placed cuffs on him.

“Nice job, this guy was a fast one.”

The two girls dragged the thief, hand in hand, to the station with the rookie group following from behind with their heads hanging from their shoulders. They handed the guy over to one of the rookies.

“Go put him in a cell. We'll talk to him once he regains his conscious.” Soyeon ordered in a monotonous tone.  

“Soyeon eonni you didn't have to go all out and knock him out.” Soyeon’s partner shook her head out of disapproval of her actions.

Soyeon shrugged. “What? Should I have left him swinging around at the kids like that? One of them could've pulled the trigger out of fear.” She rubbed the temples of her forehead, “There goes our lunch break.”

She could have just left it to those who were on shift but it was painful to watch how long it would take three cops to take down one small thief. Suddenly a pair of arms locked around Soyeon's head causing her to squirm around like a fish.

She grabbed the arm tightly, “Ya! ARGH, unhand me now!”

“Ooh I see you knocked another guy out. There's no need for that you know.” A familiar voice  scolded her with a hint of concern.

She elbowed him in the stomach and freed herself. Soyeon turned around and glared at the offender. “ Officer Song you really need to-”

The man frowned. “How many times have I told you to call me Kyungil~”

Soyeon rolled her eyes and walked off to the break room. She was not in the mood for Kyungil’s jokes. Her partner shook her head and chuckled with amusement.

“You guys never change do you. But you know, that just makes her hate your guts even more.” She leaned in, “Plus you caught her in a bad mood. She finally had time to go to her favorite lunch spot and got interrupted with this mishap off shift.”

Kyungil laughed. He knew she was going to sulk about this afterwards. “I’ll reimburse for that ruined lunch break later. Yoon-mi ah, I almost forgot, we're bringing a new recruit. I'd like you to meet up with him.” He handed her the new recruit's profile and she quickly skimmed through it.

“Oh?” This was an interesting recruit. “Alright, where is he?”

“He’s in the conference room. Debrief a few protocols about the position, you know the usual.”

“Yes sir!”

Yoon-mi bowed before walking off towards the conference room. She took a deep breath and  walked up to the door. She knocked three times before entering.

“Excuse me.” The new member nonchalantly playing with his phone. He didn’t seem to even notice her presence. All her expectations went out the door.

Yoon-mi cleared . “Hello, Welcome to the special task force for the Gangnam Sector. My name is Park Yoon-mi, I’m a senior officer here. I’ve been working at the station for 3 years now. You will be put under my supervision.”

The new member looked up and went back to fiddling with his phone. Yoon-mi was taken aback by the new member’s lack of attention.

Yoon-mi took a deep breath before proceeding with the debrief. “Your name, is Byun Baekhyun, correct?” She flipped through his profile once more, “You are older than me by 4 months.” She whispered to herself. She slammed down her clipboard on the table. His attitude needs to be dealt with if he was going to be part of her team. “Ya! you’re not gonna answer?”

Baekhyun looked up from his phone. He had an incredulous look on his face.

“Ya? You, did you just-”

“Yeah I did. So what? We’re the same age. And you, don’t call me you. I have a name as well. Let alone, your senior in this department. That is if you were paying attention.”

Baekhyun ignored her frustration. “Still, that's no way to treat a new person. Unless everyone is as rude as you.”

Yoon-mi could feel her anger rising. His attitude was absolutely no where acceptable. He should know his place as a new recruit. Her temper was slowly boiling. She really wanted to punch him right now but she bit her lip slightly and took a deep breath. It wouldn't be professional of her to get ticked off. Trying to force a smile, she continued.

“I'm here to evaluate you as well to see if you are qualified to be a working member of our team. So, it would be much appreciated if you cooperate.”

He adjusted his black rimmed glasses and went back to playing on his phone. “I specialize in cyber intelligence. You know,all that fun stuff. Hacking, tracking, etc.”

How the hell did a brainiac get recruited to a police station. She shook her head and brushed the thought aside, “So, Mr. Byun, what made you want to apply here?”

“I didn't apply. I merely got picked off the street.”

She cleared . His attitude once and gain was pushing her buttons. “Well we don't just pick people off the street. We’re not an entertainment company.”

“I guess you didn't read my profile.” Baekhyun replied, “So much for a senior.” He said under his breath.

But of course Yoon-mi was known for her amazing hearing did not let that back talk pass her. She stopped her train of thought as she reread the listed agencies he had worked under.

“You worked for the FBI and NSA in States as well?”

He glanced at her and saw how there was a hint of excitement on Yoon-mi’s face.

Baekhyun raised an eyebrow. “Yeah I did. So?”

Yoon-mi nearly yelped with excitement. She grabbed the chair in front of him and sat down. He backed away from the sudden reaction.

“This is kind of off topic but I have always wanted to work in either one of those companies. They’re so cool! One day I really want to go to America and join one of those companies! You must be really great to work in both of them!”

She leaned closer to Baekhyun, looking at him with admiration. Baekhyun leaned away and cleared his throat.

“You...you’re too close…”

“Why? We work together now. We’re part of the same team.”

Baekhyun glared at her. “I don’t like incompetent women.”

Yoon-mi misheard him. “Excuse me?! Ah I see...you go the other way. It's okay, we'll keep that a secret here.”

Baekhyun realized what he had said had been taken the wrong way. His eyes went wide. “What? Oh hell no-”

Just then the door opened and Kyungil walked in.

Both Yoon-mi and Baekhyun stood up, at full attention.

“Sir!” Both of them saluted their higher officer.

“How did it go?” asked Kyungil.

The two looked at each other. Yoon-mi opened to answer honestly.

“It went-"

Baekhyun quickly interjected. “It ended well. I will see you soon, Officer Song.”

He gave a curt bow and headed out the door. Yoon-mi turned to Kyungil as soon as the new recruit left.

“Did you know he worked for-”

Kyungil let out a light chuckle, “Of course, that's why I assigned you to him. It'll benefit the both of you.”

Yoon-mi gave Kyungil a horrified look. “Assigned? Wait….he’s my partner?! I thought he was only going to work in our department.” Though she was interested in the fact that he worked for higher intelligence, she did not like his personality. “But what about Soyeon eonni?”

----

hour shifts were nothing to Min Soyeon but after today she needed a good stretch. She grabbed her change from her locker and tossed them on the bench. She let down her hair from the bun she had up all day and let a sigh of relief. Training new recruit takes a toll on her mental health. She closed her eyes as she rolled out the stiffness from her neck.

“You should let your hair down more often.”

Soyeon smiled despite her foul mood. “You should stop being a creep.”

Caught, Kyungil strolled into the room to the other side of the lockers. He also grabbed his stuff out from his locker. “Are you doing anything after work?”

“Hm? Nothing really...probably going to sleep or something.” She propped a foot up on the bench to untie her boots.

She paused, “So who was the new guy?”

It was not everyday that they would get a recruit that didn’t fit the bill. He didn’t give off a fresh out of the police academy vibe but more like nerd who got picked up from an ivy league school.

“Yoon-mi's new partner.”

“New partner? What about me?”

“You’re with me. Don’t worry the guy is going to take care of Yoon-mi well. He's going to start next week.”

Soyeon continued to change out of her uniform. “Who says I’m worried? He’s just quite small and doesn’t seem like he'll be able to hold his ground, that's all.”

Soyeon glanced at Kyungil around the corner and gave a light sigh, “By the way, your shirt buttons are misplaced.”

He looked down at his shirt and saw how the buttons were all over the place. “Eh whatever, I'll throw over a sweatshirt over it anyways. Unless you want to help a man out here.”

“Really, the next in line head chief can't even dress himself properly. What if your juniors find out about this habit of yours?”

The corners of his mouth slightly curved, “With you here they won't ever find out.”

“Oh ew, you and your words.” Her eyebrows involuntary knitted at his words. "Just don't wear button ups then since you're such a child."

“How about no shirt at all? Then I won't struggle ever.”

"Then go live in the jungle with Tarzan."

She walked over to his side of the lockers and quickly helped him fix his shirt. “For goodness sake you're 27 and can’t button his shirt correctly. A 5 year old could do better. If you don't grow up I'll tell the whole station that this grown man can't dress himself....now you don’t look like a fool. I’ll see you later at home. Tell your dad i’ll be cooking dinner tonight.” She threw her bag over her shoulder and left the lockers.

Kyungil patted down his shirt and let out a short chuckle, "Unfazed as usual."


A/N

Cha_Chi:

Kyungil appreciation gif. If ya'lls don't know who History is *gasps* 

Hope you guys will enjoy our new story!