Rain

Rain
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

h

The rain always reminded Jimin of a certain someone.

A certain someone with raven black hair that fell in perfect bangs on his forehead, big brown eyes and a smile that would always ease Jimin even when he had the worst possible day ever.

The rain reminded him of that certain someone’s voice that was like honey and Jimin could never get tired of listening to especially at the rare times he would sing a song that he had written for Jimin. And when Jimin would tell him just how much he loved the song, he would get a shy smile in return that only made Jimin fall in love even more.

“Jimin,” he heard a voice breaking the train of his thoughts. It was Taehyung.

“Your shift ended 15 minutes ago,” he said. “What are you still doing here?”

Jimin hadn’t even realized that he had been watching the rain from the window for the past 15 minutes.

“Oh, I was just…” he said and trailed off not bothering to complete his sentence.

Taehyung gave him one of his concerning looks so Jimin pressed his lips together in a smile.

“I was just um leaving,” he said as he began changing out of his uniform. There was still an awkward tension in the air as Taehyung eyed sensing there was something wrong. That was the one thing with Taehyung, he always knew if something was wrong even when Jimin didn’t tell him about it.

Jimin decided it was best if he changed the subject.

“You are coming home with me?” he asked Taehyung as he changed into his faded blue jeans.

“Uh no,” Taehyung answered. “Hoseok is coming to pick me up”

“You guys are going on a date?”

“Kinda, yeah,” Taehyung answered and it was hard not to see the smile that was on Taehyung’s face.

“Where to?” Jimin asked.

“A movie and dinner too,” Taehyung answered.

“Will you be home today?”

“Uh, probably not,” Taehyung answered.

“Okay,” Jimin said. “Have fun”

Jimin knew he could have at least tried to sound a bit more enthusiastic or even gave him a smile but he couldn’t. He wasn’t jealous by any means. It was just that love-wearied him out now. It just didn’t seem to have the same meaning it used to once.

Thankfully, Taehyung hadn’t heard as his phone had started ringing at the same moment.

He picked it up and the grin he had on his face, only meant that it was Hoseok who had called.

“All right,” Taehyung said. “I’ll be out in 2 minutes”

With that, he hung up still smiling until he looked at Jimin who was once again seemingly lost in his own thoughts.

“Jiminie,” Taehyung said. “Take care okay and eat dinner, sleep on time”

Jimin nodded listening.

Taehyung hugged him.

“I love you, okay,” he said. “See you”

And this was Jimin felt like he was a ty friend to Taehyung. He never felt happiness for Taehyung or asked him how his date with Hoseok had been or how was he coping with classes and finals.

All he ever did was moping around.

And then there was Taehyung who had been Jimin’s rock. He had been through everything. All those nights that Jimin had cried himself to sleep, Taehyung always was there for him, making sure he slept or ate when Jimin had no interest in doing either of those things. He had helped Jimin in every possible way.

Jimin felt worthless. He was ty at everything- from friendships to relationships.

“You too,” he mumbled.

Taehyung smiled before leaving the changing room. Jimin sighed as he took his backpack and left too.

The rain was still pouring and Jimin didn’t have an umbrella with him. He could wait for the rain to stop but instead, he chose to walk in the pouring rain. It only reminded him the happy times he had.
There was a time when the rain made Jimin happy, feel warm.

But now every time it rained all Jimin could feel was pain because it reminded him more of the dark times he had than the happy ones.

But rain still had a special meaning to him.

It reminded Jimin of the time they had first met. It was pouring buckets that day and of course, Jimin didn’t have an umbrella even then. He was forgetful like that.

Jimin was standing at the bus stop waiting for the rain to stop, glancing uneasily at his watch every 2 minutes as he was sure he would be very late to class if the rain didn’t stop anytime soon.

That is when Jimin felt a pair of eyes on him.

Jimin looked to find a boy staring at him. He had black hair the bangs falling on his forehead as he looked at Jimin curiously biting his lower lip. For some reason, he seemed familiar to Jimin but he couldn’t quite put a finger on it.

Jimin looked away and when looked back the boy was still staring at him. Jimin who was a little uncomfortable now didn’t expect the boy to suddenly start walking towards him. Jimin’s first instinct was to move but instead, he was rooted to his spot looking at the stranger.

“Jimin-ssi,” the boy said. Jimin was slightly creeped out by the fact that this boy even knew his name.

The boy seemed to sense it and he immediately smiled a little.

“I…I am a student at the University too,” he said. “I’ve seen you around and that’s why I know you”

That’s when Jimin realized why this boy looked so familiar to him.

“Are you the one who sang at the festival that night?”

“Yes,” the boy said with a shy smile.

“Oh, that was amazing,” Jimin said. “The performance I mean”

“Thank you,” the boy said with a small smile.

There was a moment of silence until the boy spoke up.

“You don’t have an umbrella with you, right?” he asked.

“Uh, no,”

“Well I am going to Uni too,” he said. “We can share”

When Jimin didn’t reply the boy’s face faltered a little.

“If you want to,” he added in a low voice.

“Yeah, sure,” Jimin said with a little smile.

The boy smiled back as Jimin got under the umbrella which thankfully was big enough for the both of them. It was cheesy too, Jimin thought as he had seen a lot of couples sharing umbrellas but Jimin tried not to think about it. Getting to Uni without being soaking wet was his priority.

They were quiet and it was frankly awkward so Jimin decided to speak up.

“What’s your major?” he asked,

“Music,” the boy answered. “And you are a major in theater? If I am not wrong”

“Yes,” Jimin answered. “How do you know?”

“Oh, I watched one of your plays,” he said. “That’s how I know you”

“Oh,”

“You are really good at it,” he said.

“Thank you,” Jimin chuckled.

There were in the campus of the University and it had almost completely stopped raining now.

“Thank you for sharing your umbrella with me,” Jimin said.

“Oh it’s no problem Jimin-ssi,” the boy said with a big smile.

Jimin smiled back before walking away when he realized he hadn’t even bothered to find out the name of the boy.

“Wait,” he called out.

The boy stopped looking back.

“What’s your name?” Jimin asked.

“Jungkook,” the boy answered.

***

The rain falling made Jimin feel icy cold but Jimin had grown numb to it as he kept on walking.

Since his car was in the garage, he took the bus to work and back home but today he decided he would walk all the way to home.

He had convinced himself it was because it didn’t make sense to get into the bus as he was already soaking but Jimin knew that it was a lie.

He was purposely walking out in the rain because it reminded him of Jungkook.

And that was the only way he could relive his memories with him.

Jimin was terribly lonely and he hated how he clung onto everything that reminded him of Jungkook. Even though he had promised Taehyung he had deleted all of his pictures there were still some that he had managed to save in his phone because Jimin could never truly forget Jungkook.

And he still wore the oversized gray hoodie that Jungkook had left behind at his flat and he had cried so many times in it that it didn’t even smell like Jungkook anymore. But Jimin still kept it.

But out of all things that reminded him of Jungkook, the rain was the one which hurt him the most.

Every time it rained outside there was a rain in Jimin’s eyes too.

***

They had their first kiss the day it had rained a lot.

Jimin and Jungkook were making their way back home after they had gone bowling together and Jungkook had managed to win all games and he was being very smug about it and rubbing it onto Jimin’s face.

“Since you lost, you are paying for dinner,” Jungkook said.

“Yeah, fine,” Jimin grumbled.

It had been 4 months since the pair had met and they had hit it off instantly becoming good friends. Jungkook hung around Jimin and Taehyung’s flat a lot and Taehyung seemed to like him a lot too.

But when Jungkook would leave Taehyung would endlessly tease Jimin about the way they looked at each other.

“Friends,” Jimin would say. “Just friends”

“You never look at me like that,” Taehyung said.

“You are just seeing things,” Jimin said. “I am pretty sure Jungkook isn’t even interested”

“Does that mean you are?” Taehyung asked.

“NO,”

Taehyung would just laugh.

“So where do you wanna eat?” Jimin asked Jungkook.

“A five-star restaurant,” Jungkook answered. “But since you are a broke college student I am happy with sushi”

“All right sushi it is,” Jimin said and Jungkook smiled making Jimin’s heart flutter.

It had been doing that a lot when Jungkook would smile at Jimin or even when their hands brushed against each other.

Jimin knew he was being stupid.

He felt a drop of water on his face followed by another one.

“It’s raining,” Jimin said and he felt his hand being grabbed as he was dragged under the roof of a convenience store.

Jimin’s heart fluttered yet again.

“We should have gotten umbrellas,” Jungkook said.

“Yeah,” Jimin sighed. He was hungry but now he was stuck waiting for the rain to stop which by the looks of it wasn’t gonna happen anytime soon.

They waited for another 10 minutes before Jungkook grumbled angrily.

“Hyung,” he said. “Do you hate being wet?”

“Not really,”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter