Our Own Way

Until We Survive

The day had finally come and all of them got their fair share of sleep. Except for Daehyun that is. Not that he cared much, but it was starting get hard on his stamina. Regardless, he blended with everybody else and prepared to start their move. Just then, Jackson brought up a suggestion that seemed most likely in this situation.

"Guys, we're almost leaving Seoul. We're reaching Incheon now. And let's just say Incheon isn't the safest area for all of us to be in a group. And we're quite noticeable in number now." Jackson said.

"What do you mean?" Zelo asked.

"I mean it's the area with the most sick people. We go in a group then it's gonna be hard for us to be hidden. All I'm saying is, until we cross Incheon, let's scatter up instead of forming up a cluster. We'll cross the city in pairs, it's much more easier to go unnoticed that way." Jackson continued.

"Basically, we choose different lanes to get there. And then we just regroup when we reach the city, yeah?" Dana asked.

"Yup. It's less riskier that way. Me, Jackson and Youngjae know the way to incheon. So you three just pair up with one of us and we'll just choose shortcuts to get there." Alice supported Jackson.

"Yeah there's this really famous but obviously abandoned mall building there. It's a big two storey building and the name is still written on it's display board. 'The Incheon Center', its faded but you can't miss it. We can just regroup there." Youngjae explained.

"But how can we just assume that all of us are gonna get there. I mean we gotta have some mode of communication right. I know that's not possible cuz we really don't have anything but..." Zelo expressed his concern.

"Look the three of us know the way so don't worry about that. It might take a day or half to get there. So whoever does first, they just wait until the rest come." Jackson said. 

"Um...Well it's 50-50, but it is better than the risk of us being spotted cuz we're too many in number. So I guess that'll work. " Daehyun said agreeing to the plan. 

The rest of the group somehow come to an agreement as well and now they soon decide the pairs. 

"I'll go with Zelo." Alice decided and Zelo didn't have a problem with that. 

"Can I go with you then Jackson?" Dana asked him cuz she somehow felt more sense of security with Jackson than Youngjae. 

"Of course you can. I wouldn't leave a girl alone in Youngjae's hands, you guys wouldn't last an hour hehe." Jackson continued his teasing. 

Youngjae didn't really give a damn about Dana's choice cuz he saw it coming, but what unamused him was...

"So that obviously means you two are left. It's decided then."  Alice said looking at Daehyun and Youngjae. 

The two were forced to pair up against their will obviously and couldn't help but give each other a not very satisfied gaze. Especially Daehyun who would have rather gone alone was really not looking forward to his long journey with Youngjae. 

"That's...great..." Daehyun sighed sarcastically.

Youngjae did hear that and it only managed to get him pissed off even more. 

And soon all part ways and confirm how they were gonna regroup. 

"So just like we decided ok? See you guys soon and stay safe allright?" Jackson said as he started his move with Dana. 

They were soon followed by Zelo and Alice. The left over unamused ones almost started their walk. 

"Which way...?" Daehyun asked in the most uninterested tone, not even looking at Youngjae. 

"Just *sigh*...follow me.." Youngjae responded with the same unamused tone. 

"Just you know, I'm not the most happiest person about our unnecessary pairing either." Youngjae cleared his opinion. 

"Good to know man, now let's just get on with it."  Daehyun responded to that sarcastically again while already getting a head start on the walk.

The group that was usually filled with conversations and talks was now succumbed to awkwardness, sarcasm and attitude. Daehyun and Youngjae walked with a distance from each other that could fit at least four or five people. 

Neither did they talk the whole way and nor did they even look at each other. They just advanced through small lanes and kept going. But just then Youngjae realizes how Daehyun was actually the real jerk eventhough he hadn't done anything to piss him off. That was the part that annoyed Youngjae the most.

"Your welcome by the way..." Youngjae stated. He was basically reminding Daehyun of how he woke him up from the nightmare he had the other day.

"What!?" Daehyun asked not knowing what he meant.

"Nighmare,...screaming,...me waking you up,...offering water,...remember somethin?" Youngjae hinted.

Daehyun first had this confused look which soon followed a look that said, 'really?'.

"O..k...just why would i thank you for that exactly?" He asked blindly.

"Of course! I shouldn't really be expecting that from you. Damn what was i thinking!" Youngjae said that with an absolutely done expression.

"Ok...all you did was wake me up. And i don't see the heroic element in it." Daehyun said further.

"Bruh, you probably didn't notice this cuz you were busy dying in your sleep but, if I hadn't woken you up...you would've probably died of a heart attack or something. You should've seen how badly you were in gasping. I thought you had like asthma or something."  Youngjae explained. 

Daehyun looked at him wondering if that really was true. This was because he never knew how he really did look on the outside when he saw these nightmares. He was just experiencing them. Although what Youngjae said sounded like it made sense, he wasn't willing to accept it. 

"Yeah well, that's great and all but you didn't really have to do me such a favor." Daehyun gave a cold response. 

"Oh yeah trust me, I ain't makin that mistake again."  Youngjae responded irritatedly. 

"You do know where we're goin ri....? Before Daehyun could complete his sentence he was interrupted by Youngjae.

"Shhh shhh....do you hear that?"  Youngjae whispered. 

A cautious Daehyun tried to hear what he was talking about. 

"Oh , there's two of em over there. You see?"  Youngjae said as he spotted a couple of sick ones. 

"Damn it! Allright listen, these are sirens. So we gotta be really quite when we get closer." Daehyun said.

"Wait,  sirens? Is that what these kinds are called?  I actually haven't seen ones that looked like this before."  Youngjae asked. 

"Yeah, thats what they're called. They can't really see. But they're sense of hearing is incredible. So if they hear anything at all, they sort of send out a  sickening scream and any other infected around the area get alerted too. That's why these ers are called sirens. They're so much worse than the normal ones that can see."  Daehyun said while explaining the kind of infected they're dealing with. 

"Oh great, that means Incheon's situation is actually even worse now. Cuz these things, you couldn't really find them here before. It was just the normal ones. They probably spread in time. Ok so anyway in that case, stealth Is the only option yeah?"  Youngjae asked. 

"Yeah let's not unnecessarily think killing it is an option. It's better to just get past it." Daehyun said. 

The two start to stealth their way around the sirens that were crawling around. They did manage to succeed...but almost. Just as they were about to cross them, Daehyun had accidentally stepped on a broken glass piece that was unexpectedly loud. Before they could even react, the sirens started to scream relentlessly which aggravated and alerted all the sick ones around the  area.

"OH !!!." Youngjae exclaimed.

It was an instant battle with them and the many infected that were coming at them. Daehyun was pretty good at combat and handy with his ammunition as expected. Youngjae fought of most of them decently too. Daehyun hadn't expected him to be fairly good at combat. But he was indeed. Thankfully, in the area they were at currently, there weren't as many as they expected. The long run of agrravated sick ones soon ended. The first thing the two of them did was check if they had any bites anywhere. They sent out a relieved sigh at not finding any, then take a moment to breathe.

"You good? No bites or anything right?" Daehyun asked Youngjae.

"Nope...not today...you?" Youngjae responded.

"Yup, not today..." Daehyun replied with a sigh.

"Allright lets get the hell outta here as soon as we can." Just as Daehyun had said this, Youngjae noticed that there was an infected right behind Daehyun, almost grabbing him.

", LOOK OUT!!" Youngjae yelled to caution Daehyun before it was too late. 

But it surely was, because before Daehyun could react, he had already been grabbed by the infected and it was a struggle. He was starting to get helpless and couldn't do much on his own. He just had to make sure he wasn't near any possibilty of getting bitten. But he didn't have trouble for long because, Youngjae immediately took out a metal pipe he had, grabbed the infected off Daehyun, and killed it for good. He did it rather professionally, surprising Daehyun again.

"...that was close..." Daehyun sighed.

"Yeah...you still good haha?." Youngjae asked again.

"Yup I'm allright... let's go." Daehyun gave a quick conclusion.

And right then, Youngjae was shocked more than ever. Although he didn't expect gratitude for everything, he did just save Daehyun's life from that close call. Anyone would've naturally thanked an act like that. But Daehyun was willing to just go forward without even thinking about gratitude.

"Un ing believable..." Youngjae stated in irritation

"What now?" Daehyun aksed.

"Forget it just..lets just in keep movin." Youngjae wanted to coclude an obviously starting argument and walks forward.

"What the is up your ?" Just as Daehyun asked this, he realized what Youngjae meant. "Oh , don't...don't actually tell me you where expressing dissapointment in me not saying thank you to you..." Daehyun stated with this look that pissed Youngjae off even more.

"I said forget it allright, lets just keep moving." Youngjae still refused to continue.

"No no hold on, I don't get it. Like do you want a medal for everything you do or something? huh? Look like this will happen a lot. Sometimes i might have close calls or you might. But no ones gonna keep thanking everyone like a marshmallow allright?" Daehyun responded angrily.

"Ok that's it! First of all.. you! ok? And second, i know that we might have more close calls and . But here's the thing, i ain't expecting from you, not even in the matter of saving me. Nor did i ask you to thank me and sing a poem for me allright? You wanna know what the real deal is? I know exactly what you thought when you saw  me fighting those sick freaks rather better than you expected. You thought, 'woahhh positive rainbow boy actually knows how to fight'. I know that's exactly what you ing thought! Well news flash buddy, YES I CAN!! I can fight and I can save your damn life in the process too. It's not the 'thank you' bull that pisses me off about you. You look down on me like your the king of the world or something. Like you know everything and the others don't. Just so you know, we could've avoided this whole ambush if you hadn't stepped on the broken glass in the first place. But nooooo of course that's ok right cuz you did it. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have let this go so easy if it were me in your place. So yeah that's what is ed up about you. Ever since that little thing i said about the positivity, you and your ing friends think I'm a friggin kid who lives in a fairytale world. Well if you want this to work, you stop doing exactly that. Allright?  You stop thinking that your the boss here and I'm the . Are we good on that?" Youngjae literally ranted out his entire frustration to Daehyun. 

Daehyun didn't say anything and he just looked at Youngjae with a straight expression. 

"You done? If so then can we go now."  That was Daehyun's response. 

And just like that he walked ahead again not giving a chance for Youngjae to retaliate. But Youngjae had decided that there really wasn't any point anymore. He could tell that his entire rant just went through Daehyun like it was nothing and he probably didn't even hear all of it. 

It pissed him off to such an extent that he decided to tell Jackson he didn't wanna be associated with Daehyun anymore, once they reached their meeting spot. 

As he saw Daehyun's back walking in front of him, he even thought letting the infected kill Daehyun would've been a better idea than this. 

Although there was an enormous amount of hate built between the two, what they wanted was not in their hands. They had no choice but to work together until they made it there. How well that would work out, was up to them to decide.