Ordeal

Until We Survive

The dual group had now reached past Seoul and were advancing to the next nearest town. They share more conversations about this possible 'cure' experiment as they walk. 

"So what exactly are they using to make this cure? Like what are they intending to do?" Daehyun asked Jackson. 

"I'm actually not quite aware of the details but I know this that they had found a human who was sick. Well they found the body actually, and when they saw the body closer, apparently it didn't look like the person, was completely affected by the virus. When they looked into the anatomy of the body, they found that the virus had only spread partially. Yeah weird, but too bad they found the person  dead cuz it would've done a lot more good if he or she was alive. Anyway, they said even though it's just a body they might be able to figure something out." Jackson concluded. 

"Jesus, and you said you don't know the details. I mean what do you call this then? "  Zelo asked. 

" Haha by details I meant, how much of this is actually relevant you know?  Like if it's worth believing or not. But that's why we're goin. So we can find out." Jackson said. 

"And these,...doctors, like are they part of some gang or crew or something? "  Daehyun asked.

"I don't think so. I think they're just people who were desperate enough to find something they can work on. Well God help em!"  Jackson stated. 

"Lets just hope we all get there in one peace. That's what we gotta think about first." Alice said.

"And that's the first thing you gotta stop saying all the time in all honesty. 'Let's hope, let's hope'.... I mean stop hoping and start actually thinking positively guys. We're made it alive so far,  we can keep doing it without always having to 'hope'. Christ!"  Youngjae states encouraging this positive attitude in people. 

And that is exactly the kind of person Youngjae was. He liked to believe that everything happens for a reason. He didn't think desperately praying to God everyday or hoping, is what ensured their survival. He always believed that if they chose to survive, they will! An attitude that most people in a post apocalyptic world wouldn't really have, Youngjae did. He was the youngest member of Jackson's group. He was also the most unique. When others liked to find despair in everything, he liked to find happiness or positivity. That, was probably why Daehyun's aura created the most curiousity in him. Youngjae probably didn't understand what could have happened to him that he depicts negativity even without saying anything. 

Just as this statement was made by Youngjae, Dana responds to him. 

" Where did you get that theory from? Positivity? Are you on drugs or something buddy? " Dana asked jokingly. 

"Nope, it's called having a better attitude. It's simple really." Youngjae responded. 

" And how is it simple may I ask? " Another member from Daehyun's group asked him.

" Its simple as in it's....simple!  I don't know what else to say to that haha" Youngjae said. 

" Ahaha that's Jae for you. That's how he is. He's one in a million. I don't necessarily mean that in a good way hehe." Jackson starts teasing Youngjae again while Youngjae gives him an unamused look. 

While this discussion was going on, Daehyun actually did pay attention to what Youngjae said. This was because he could help but do so and think how absurd it was . He wanted to know why someone would think like that living in a situation like this. He decided to interrogate Youngjae. 

"But I'm still not convinced though. With your theory I mean. What could've possibly enlightened you to think like that?"  Daehyun asked Youngjae. 

Youngjae was surprised . He didn't think that Daehyun was actually listening to him. And his question had bewildered him. He thought well before answering. 

"Well...for starters, it's a general belief that we should think good about anything. And second, *sigh*, see there's nothing we can do about what situation we're living in.  It's not like we invited it. It just in happened. And there's nothing we can do about it. So you just see the best of it. I mean if we wanted to sulk about life and hate it...better not to live right?  " Youngjae explained. 

Daehyun gave him a look that clearly said, 'whats the deal with this guy?' Youngjae understood that. Before he could say anything more, Daehyun made a statement. 

"That's probably cuz you haven't seen the worst of anything yet." Daehyun had said this while looking away and in a slightly unamused tone. 

Before Youngjae could ask Daehyun, 'what made him think that Youngjae hadn't seen the worst of anything?', Daehyun had moved forward. This gave off a vibe from him that said he just didn't think there was anymore point of this conversation. 

Youngjae was starting to get a little annoyed by Daehyun's constant attitude which is why he just decided to close the topic for now. 

"Guys, it's getting dark. We're in the inner town right now. I don't think we should risk going any further until morning."  Jackson said. 

"Allright let's just find some safe corner to camp in until day. But lets take turns to nap. Some of us gotta keep our eyes open while the other get rest." Dana said. 

"In that case, me and Jackson can stay awake till 9 while you guys rest and then it can be Alice and Dana followed by Youngjae and Zelo" Daehyun said making a plan. 

"Sounds Allright." all agreed. 

They camp in a corner lane, while Daehyun Jackson kept a look out for any trouble. It didn't take long for the others to fall asleep. 

"Guess they were really tired."  Jackson said. 

" How could they not be. They barely ate as well. " Daehyun said as he sighed. 

"We'll eat something when they wake up. Damn I'm struggling to keep my eyes open too" Jackson said while yawning. 

"I don't really care if I sleep or not. I don't really sleep deep anyway." Daehyun said. 

" You don't say. No wonder you look more tired than ever. Try to get some sleep though. Better than nothing " Jackson responded. 

Just the Daehyun remebered Jackson's connection with Yongguk and wanted to know more about it.

" So how was my brother doing? I mean since you were with him first. " Daehyun asked. 

" Ah Yongguk. Yeah he was doing good I'd say. Don't know if he's still Jeju cuz I really don't much after I left either. But yeah he has a good set up with him " Jackson responded. 

" Hmm, that's good to know. Why did you leave his set up though? " Daehyun asked. 

" Man, cuz I actually wanted to start my own group with my people. I found Alice in Jeju and Youngjae was always with me so I don't know, we just happened to form our own set up. Don't get me wrong though, cuz i did part with Yongguk on a good note. Say, what happened between the two of you by the way? Jackson asked after he explained. 

"He wanted me to come with him and move away from Gampo. You see thats where I lived before the outbreak. But yeah I didn't wanna leave yet. Its a long story. But long story short, i fought, he fought. I hit him, he hit me. We sweared at each other blah blah and before you know it we're no longer pn good terms haha."  Daehyun explained jokingly. 

" Ah classic brother stuff huh? But it doesn't bother you that you guys don't get along anymore? Jackson asked. 

Daehyun looked down with a sigh and responded, "It does, but...what's the point? I do feel bad that i haven't maybe been the nicest person to him cuz he's done a lot for me. But this is how things are and there ain't nothin i can do now." He said.

"It's never too late for anything man. In fact you gotta fix it while you can cuz you never know right? Anyway i guess its not really my business soo." Jackson concluded.

" Youngjae is your relative? " Daehyun asked the next question to start a new conversation. 

" Yup, hes kinda like my cousin. His mom and mine were sisters. " Jackson said. 

" Quite a cousin you got there." Daehyun stated sarcastically. 

" Yeah I know he can be a little out of place. But he ain't as bad as I make him sound haha. He's a little different but he's a good guy. " Jackson said. 

"I don't know about all that. But I hope he soon gets out of his fantasy and has reality strike him. I mean with his fairly tale concept, he might only get disappointed you know." Daehyun explained. 

" Yeah I know. I mean where his theory is coming from, it's actually appreciative. But just doesn't add up for us. " Jackson stated. 

As the two conversed,  it was soon time for them to take rest. Dana and Alice come and take over. 

" Ok outta here. It's ladies time." Dana said approaching them. 

"Yes ma'am."  Jackson responds teasingly. 

Daehyun and Jackson head inside to rest. 

Just then Daehyun notices everyone asleep but Youngjae. He was reading what looked like a book, probably which he picked up while looting for supplies from some abandoned home. 

"Not sleepin?"  Daehyun asked. 

"Nah I'm good." Youngjae responded. 

" Oh my bad. Your probably just thinking 'positive' like you don't really need to sleep to feel refreshed. You can just think that you don't really need rest and it'll alllll be ok. Right?" Daehyun stated while overflowing with sarcasm.

"Funny, cuz although you expressed your hatred for my concept, it looks like you just can't seem to get it off your mind either." Youngjae responded slyly. 

"Well when you hear something so ridiculous, it's kinda hard to forget." Daehyun doesn't fail to retaliate as he makes himself comfortable leaning back on a wall. 

Youngjae found it pointless to respond because once again Daehyun wouldn't have been listening. It was obvious his curiousity had now turned to annoyance. He just continued to read his book. 

Daehyun on the other hand, tried to slowly catch some sleep. He wasn't confident but he was incredibly tired. He managed to close his eyes. 

He did manage to be asleep soon, but his head was no longer in the present. It had turned into a dark, horrific scene that recalled him of all his past experiences that he just wanted to forget. He kept seeing two versions of him in his apparent nightmare. One was the version which he was before everything had gone berserk. Basically he was his old self, simple, cheerful and kind hearted. The other version was someone he had become now, cold, blunt and emotionless. He always saw his two versions batteling each other in his nightmare. 

But that wasn't the worst part. His nightmares always ended with that one horrific ordeal in his life. The day he without hesitation took his girls life. There were many things in Daehyun's life he couldn't forgive himself for. But this, was probably the one that took his soul away. Of course it wasn't his fault, but was that reason enough for him to forget it?  Of course it wasn't. This was what he meant when he told Jackson that never was no point in trying to sleep. 

His sleep and silence was corrupted by his past ordeals everytime he tried. Just then he heard someone calling his name. He thought it was ij his nightmare but as soon as he realized it wasn't, he gasped and woke up.

He saw it wasYoungjae who calling him. And he also realized he was sweating and palpitating like crazy. 

"Holy , your sweating bullets. Are you Allright?" Youngjae asked worried. " I called you because you were screaming in your sleep. Here have some water." He continued while offering Daehyun some water. 

Daehyun just wiped his face and gathered himself. He drank the water and was starting to feel better.

"Thanks." Daehyun said. 

" Nightmare huh? What happened? Youngjae unknowingly asked because of his curiousity. 

"Its nothing. I'm fine now."  Daehyun said concluding in a short response. 

"Well you can go back to sleep now. Zelo and me are up next for guarding so I'm off." Youngjae said taking back the bottle of water. 

"Nah I'm not gonna sleep anymore. But yeah, you um, you go ahead." Daehyun said. 

"O....k."  Youngjae concluded suspiciously. "I'll just leave you alone then." He said.

Youngjae actually couldn't help but worry about Daehyun for some reason. It's not because he had just seen some nightmare,  it was because Daehyun looked just that traumatized. And it was like that everytime he tried to sleep. It wasn't something good if it kept happening. Youngjae wondered if these are all the kinds of things that made him the unpleasant person he is now. 

Those nightmares were probably building up more anger and more negativity in him. And that made him what he is now. Daehyun himself could never recollect the way he was before. 

But this was sure, that a part of his old self, really was there somehwere within him. It was just buried under all his horrific experiences. He still hadn't found anything or anyone that could bring that part out again. 

But like said, no one ever knows what could happen in just a split second.