Prologue

Fruits of a Rose

In the darkness of the woods, a beast prowls for its prey. Its eyes locked on its target, glowing under the moonlight. It waits for the right moment, then it pounces, its teeth digging into the animal’s neck. It tears off the meat and starts eating the corpse, until it hears a rustling from the distance.

 

Before it can react, the creature speeds up to it, its glowing red eyes watching it, and bites its neck, drinking the beasts blood and draining it dry. The beast collapsed as the vampire girl wiped the blood from . She looked over and saw her sister standing behind a tree.

 

“It’s okay, Mako,” she said. “It’s dead.”

 

The younger sister walked towards the two animals, distancing herself from the monster, as she was sensitive to the smell of its ichor blood and slowly rotting flesh.

 

“Don’t worry, it won’t bite. Not anymore.” Her elder sister chuckled. She then wrapped the deer in a cloth and slung it over her shoulder. “Fresh meat for the girls back at the Sanctum. Let’s go.”

 

Before Mako could follow her sister, a new scent caught her nose. This one was sweet and smelled like roses. She followed it, straying off from her sister’s path and was lead to a large tree somewhere deep in the forest.

 

Something told her what she was looking for, what she was unconsciously seeking, was under there. She started digging through the ground, until she hit hard wood. She dug more and more and revealed an old coffin. When she opened it up, there was a young girl. However, she wasn’t dead. She was merely fast asleep.

 

Seeing how this girl was in danger of being found by one of the Lycans or any other monsters roaming the forest, she decided to take the girl back to the Sanctum, where she would be safe. She took the girl out of the wooden box and held her in her arms. She heard a small voice come from the sleeping girl.

 

“Mako...”

 

“****!”


Mako suddenly felt a small tinge of pain in her head. She rubbed her temple until it slowly faded away. She readjusted the sleeping girl and flew up into the trees, leaping from branch to branch as she headed back to her only home, the *Sanctum.

 

==========================

 

*Sanctum - A "safehouse" hidden deep within the forest and cut off from the human world. The vampires here live in peace and go through studies on vampire life throughout the centuries. The Sanctum used to be an old school, until something happened...