Chapter 03 - Summer Sunshine

Autumn Scent

Two days later…

               Hyungsik gets morning shift for the next two weeks, so today, at 9.34 a.m, he is already busy at the ER, giving CPR to a guy who gets a heart attack and came to this hospital two minutes ago. He and Nurse Kim are doing their all to save this patient’s life, but apparently, destiny is too selfish today. The pulse does not come back and this guy gives no respond at all. His wife watching how hard Hyungsik worked, but she is not know whether to say thanks for trying or to scold him because he failed to help his husband to survive.

“Time of death, 9.38 a.m…” Hyungsik announces that.

               Nurse Kim tidy up all the equipments around the patients like she always does when every patient failed to survive while Hyungsik goes to the wife of the patients who now begins to cry and understand what has happened before her eyes. The busy life of the ER still continues, patients come and go, blood everywhere, patients scream, families cry, sweaty doctors, tired nurses, those are the common view in this area.

               After lunch, Hyungsik goes to room number 129 on the third floor. That is the room where Park Semi is. She is transferred to this room yesterday since she is magically gets better and recovers fast. Hyungsik knocks on the door and slide it lightly, but Semi is not there. He enters the room and knocks on the bathroom door but it is ajar so Semi definitely is not there as well. He then goes the lobby, half running, a bit panic because he thought Semi ran away from the hospital, but then he sees her talking to herself before the vending machine.

“Is it broken?” Semi asks herself.

              Hyungsik comes closer and overhears Semi’s ‘conversation’ with the vending machine. He smiles and decides to help his patient to get the drink she wants.

“Did you push the button? What drink you want?”

“Lemon tea.. Why?”

“Please act naturally…” Hyungsik, half whispers.

               Semi is confused and does not understand what Hyungsik means. She just can stare at him with her eyes wide open. Hyungsik begins to kick the machine with his right foot then acts like nothing happen.

“What are you doing?” Semi checks on her surroundings.

“Stop acting like that, be natural..” Hyungsik kicks the machine again. “It’ll work..”

                Right after that, a can of lemon tea drops to the box near Semi’s right hand. Hyungsik tilts his head and shows Semi his best smile, feeling proud of what he has just done.

“Are you sure you’re a doctor in this hospital?” Semi asks Hyungsik.

“Can’t you read?” Hyungsik shows Semi his nametag. “I was the one who brought you here, gave you CPR, operated you and saw you moved your fingers when you were back from comma. I think I’m your.. what? life saver..?”

“Eh?”

“You can say…thank you... if you want…”

“Ah, thank you very much..” Semi slightly bows.

               Hyungsik giggles, finding that Semi is quite adorable while she is looking at him like he is some kind of dog poo or something.

“Don’t you want to drink lemon tea? Quit looking at me like that..” Hyungsik smiles like a puppy.

               Semi smiles then shakes her head, it is a sign that she is giving Hyungsik a ‘whatever’ in a quiet mode. She sips her lemon tea, something that she has missed for almost two weeks. She stares at the can for a while, randomly reading the ingredients which are written right below the nutrition facts table. They both then walk towards the elevator then Hyungsik helps Semi to push the ‘3’ button since Semi hands are busy holding the lemon tea can and her infusion tube.

“Don’t you feel dizzy? Or nauseous? Are your hands trembling? Are our eyes sensitive to lights? Cannot speak properly? Pain in the joints?” Hyungsik gives never-ending questions.

               When they arrive in front of room no 129, Hyungsik immediately slides the door, letting Semi in. he then calls one of the nurses who are on duty to come into the room.

“Put this in the machine..” Hyungsik commands the nurse.

               Hyungsik asks the nurse to put the infusion tube into the machine so Semi cannot go anywhere alone. While the nurse prepares the machine, Hyungsik folds his arm and stares at Semi like she committed a crime.

“You’re so amzing, 5 days in comma, need only two days to recover, now you went to the lobby alone. What are you? Are you a human or not?”

               The nurse takes a quick look at Hyungsik and Semi then finishes what she is doing. She also adjusts the flow for the IV drip on Semi’s hand then checks the machine once again, making sure that it is working properly. After that, she excuses herself to go back to her duty.

“Lay down..”

               Hyungsik gives a command and takes the lemon tea from Semi’s hand and places it on the drawer at the right side of Semi’s bed. He then pulls out a small flashlight from his pocket then checks Semi’s pupils. He smiles right in front of her face, almost like a prince does when he is about to kiss the princess.

“Don’t go anywhere” Hyungsik puts back his mini flashlight into his pocket. “Are your friends coming today? Hyemi-sshi didn’t come yesterday…”

“You know Hyemi?”

“Of course, she comes here almost every day. Minha-sshi stays with you during the nights and Hyemi-sshi at days. You’ve got nice friends.. ” Hyungsik goes to the entrance of the room since someone knocked on the door just now.

               A nurse brings some snacks for Semi, a bowl of chocolate pudding, banana, strawberry milk and a small box of almonds. She greets Semi then put the tray with that food on the drawer, she offers help just in case if Semi needs to be feed.

“No, thank you. I can do it by myself..”

               The nurse then excuses herself to go back to her duty and leaves Hyungsik and Semi in the room. Semi is getting ready to eat the chocolate pudding. She smiles at the food, the sun peeks through the blinds, shines her hands that holds a white plastic spoon which is ready to dig the pudding. Hyungsik stares at Semi’s right hand for a while, appreciating its beauty. He has never done that before. He continues being like that for the next ten seconds, realizes how healthy Semi’s skin is.