Chapter 02 - The Warm Breeze

Autumn Scent

At 9.13 a.m….

                Hyungsik is getting ready to go back home and take some rest before he has to be in the ER at 6 p.m. He chats with his friend, Dr. Choi before the woman he met yesterday greets him.

“Hello, doctor. Do you have time? There’s something I need to tell you..”

“Sure, I’m free now..” Hyungsik nods his head.

               They both then go to the near coffee shop and order two cups of Americano. The woman looks pretty confused, like she does not know what to say to start the conversation.

“Um, doctor. My name is Minha, Park Minha. I’m Semi’s friend, your patient. We met yesterday..”

“Yes, I remember you…” Hyungsik takes a sip of his Americano.

“I’m sorry about what I said yesterday. I was really emotional and said something that I shouldn’t have too…” Minha bows.

“No, that’s okay. It’s normal. I’m the one who needs to say sorry because I asked you to do something that burdened you. By the way, three of you are friends?”

“Ah… Yes, four actually, the blonde one you met yesterday was Hyemi. Semi, Hyemi, Kyungri and I are friends. We all met in high school, but Semi and I are childhood friends…”

“Kyungri? Ah, the one who also got an n accident? That Kyungri?”

“Yes…” Minha smiles. “Why?”

“Nothing. Um, have you visited her?”

“We went to her room but her boyfriend was there, so it was awkward..”

               Hyungsik can feel that there is something wrong with these girls’ friendship. It is too weird that both of Hyemi and Minha are so worried of Semi but they seem do not really care about Kyungri. And it is also weird that Kyungri said that Semi was only her acquaintance, not a friend like Minha said earlier.

                After meeting and chatting for a while with Minha, Hyungsik goes to his apartment. He just had one of the longest days in his life. He goes to wash himself then turns on the TV, watches a cooking show while eating a cup of ramyeon from his favorite brand. After that, he goes to bed and stares at the ceiling for a while. Three minutes later, he goes to the dreamland.

At 6.30 p.m….

“Grab her, hurry!!” Hyungsik commands Nurse Kim to do that. “Omoni, please be calm…”

                 A raging woman enters the ER after getting hit by a car at the intersection near Gyeongjin Hospital. Hyungsik is trying hard to calm her down since she cannot lose her temper towards the driver of the car who hit her. Three nurses help him to hold this patient while he prepares the medication. He then gets about three minutes of freedom before another patient coming in to the ER. This time is a kid who fell from his bicycle and injured his head.

“MRI, hurry!” Hyungsik gives another command.

                Working at the ER is not easy, and everyone knows that. Busy, hectic and full of surprises. Even though it is like that, Hyungsik enjoys it anyway. He loves taking care of people in need, he loves helping people. He feels awesome when he saves someone’s life, though he does not do it every day.

               He takes a break for while and inserts three coins of 500 won into the vending machine. He clicks on the orange juice button. He walks to the ICU ward which is placed at the southern part of Gyeonjin Hospital. Sips his orange juice once in a while, he greets those female interns who think that he is some kind of prince of something. He can tell by the gaze of their eyes. He throws the can into the bin near the gate of ICU ward, greets the staffs, cleans his hands and enters the room to check on his patient, Park Semi. Now he knows her name.

               One of her friends is there, the blonde one, Hyemi. Hyungsik greets her and asks how is she doing but she answers it in an almost inaudible voice. He checks all the devices and equipments, making sure that they are working well. One of the staffs gives his report to Hyungsik.

“Is this your first time you’re coming to this room?” Hyungsik asks Hyemi.

“I came here yesterday…”

“And you just staring at her like this? Standing like a statue near her feet?”

“What should I do?”

“You can talk to her, she can hear you. Hearing your voice can give her some strength. Tell her that her doctor is handsome too…” Hyungsik says, while checking the ventilator.

“You’re joking in this kind of situation?” Hyemi frowns a bit.

“I’m not. I’m telling the truth…”

               Hyungsik stares at Semi for a while; he is amazed by how strong she is. He then leans closer to Semi’s right ear, getting ready to whisper something to her. Meanwhile, Hyemi is still standing like a statue near Semi’s feet. Stiff.

“Semi-sshi, I’m your doctor. You are prettier without the blood covering your face. Your friend is here, she wants to say something but doesn’t know how to start it. Once you get better, I’ll buy you a can of my favorite orange juice. It will make your day happier…”

“That’s how you do it…” Hyungsik looks at Hyemi and smirks. “She makes a good progress. She’s getting better than she was yesterday.. I’ll be going, I have to go back to the ER..” Hyungsik taps Hyemi’s shoulder lightly.

               Hyemi stands closer to Semi this time, making sure that her best friend is hearing her voice and somehow will be happier that she is actually not alone. Hyungsik goes back to the ER, continues his duty. He promises himself that he will visit the ICU ward again when he has free time at midnight.

               For five straight days, he does the exact same thing. Visiting the ICU ward when he has free time then goes back to the ER to take care of the patients there. But something is different today, Wednesday, August 9, Park Semi moves her fingers a bit, right when Hyungsik stands near her.

“Park Semi-sshi…” Hyungsik lips tremble. “Wow…move your fingers if you can hear me…”

                Semi moves her fingers, Hyungsik smiles and checks her vitals right away.