Chapter 1

Are you a computer keyboard? Because you're my type.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 1;

 

 

When Irene cracks her phone it's entirely Yeri's fault. She was too into her story, gestures wild and voice high as she entertained her listeners when with one of her arms take a too wide circle ("And she went on and on about that handsome waiter and guess what? He was ugly") and knocked Irene's phone out of her hands. The worst thing, she didn't even realise and went on with the story. Even when Irene showed her cracked phone, Yeri only eyed it for a moment and said, "It happens. Pity."

 

No "I'll pay for it" not even an "I'm so sorry."

 

These kids born after 2000 and their lack of sense of responsibilities. Irene needs new and most probably older friends like right now.

 

But what can she do now? It happened and it's not like the phone was new. (Yeri likes to call it a brick, that spoiled little .) But Irene quite liked it and got attached to it over the years. It's able to make calls and text and it got everything as newer models except the fancy outlook.

 

After a few days of thinking and being unreachable because she was afraid to touch the broken thing, she decided she doesn't want a new phone. It was with her in good and bad, in her happiest and saddest times and call her a sentimental but she wants to cling to it a bit more. She wants this phone back. Is it not impossible to change the screen right? At least, she believes so.

 

She searches for the nearest tech support store on her MacBook (newest version, if she can say so; she had to buy one for her studies and Yeri talked her into buying it, her budget is still suffering from this choice). It's closer than Irene's expected. She takes a piece of paper and pen and scribbles down a messy, simplified version of the map. She throws on her sneakers and jacket, pockets her phone, not even glancing at it. It hurts her heart looking at the thing. It's like she's looking for an ill friend.

 

"They will make you better than new," Irene whispers into the air to no one just her phone and she pats her pocket in a comforting way.

 

The store is less than half an hour away from her apartment on foot and it takes her half of the time because if everything goes right, she gets back her phone and this is the motivation she needs. All her pictures are on that phone and she's afraid to turn it on to save them on her MacBook.

 

Irene stands in front of a store named Tech Oasis and she has half of the mind to turn back. The whole place looks just worn down and old and something tells Irene that the workers may have the same knowledge in technology as her. Which is the bare minimum? But after a few considering moment, she walks in because it's worth a try after all.

 

And she does right.

 

The inside of the store is like a wonderland for tech lovers. It's jam-packed with stuff Irene doesn't know the name and wouldn't touch, afraid to breaking them. It's small, full and clean and nothing like Irene judged from outside. They should remove the posters from the windows so people could see inside.

 

"Hi!" a happy voice cuts her wondering, calling from behind the counter. Irene swears there was no one a moment before when she stepped in. Irene looks up at the girl behind the counter. (Oh, so there it is. She couldn't see before from the cardboard boxes.) Irene mutters a response somewhere between hi and hello.

 

"Hillo!"

 

If the girl heard it, she pretends she hadn't. Which is perfect for Irene because she might have just turned around and walked out of the shop without saying a thing, frightened of messing up another thing.

 

Irene's distress is understandable. The girl behind a counter is beautiful in every possible way. Her black hair has blue hues in them and is pulled high into a ponytail. Her brown eyes twinkled under the white neon light with curiosity. Deep brown turning into black, exactly like coffee. It's a pity she hides them with metallic framed glasses. It looks good on her, though. Her lips- oh , they're moving.

 

"Excuse me?" Irene asks back with a fake smile stretched on her lips. She thinks running away wasn't a bad idea. The girl- Irene checks the nametag, Wendy- tilts her head and with a light smile and she repeats herself.

 

"What can I help you?" The tech support girl repeats patiently. Probably too used to people making fool of themselves in front of her to care.

 

"Oh! I cracked your phone!" her mind is on track, halleluja! She runs through her handbag, and after almost handing a pack of tampons of all things, she manages to remember she put the phone into her pocket and then she grabs her phone and hands it over to Wendy. She takes it with a soft thank you. 

 

Wendy looks at the broken thing in her hands like she's looking and holding a small injured animal-- but her features change quickly. She looks back at Irene with an odd expression.

 

"Uh," she starts but doesn't finish her sentence. Irene wonders if Wendy thinks she's annoying.

 

"Do your magic, please," Irene says with a held back smile and a light dust of blush on her cheeks. Why is she blushing over a cracked phone is a mystery even to her. (She fights down the urge to admit it that the girl behind the counter is the cause. She's pretty. Like really, really pretty.)

 

Wendy stares at her for a moment and gives the phone another once over.

 

"So you don't realise," she mumbles. She lets out a giggle after an anxiety-filled moment- on Irene's behalf. She collects herself and stops and Irene wishes she doesn't because she finds the sound lovely. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have laughed."

 

Her apology is sincere and God could this girl be any more perfect?

 

"It's okay," it really is. If she's being honest, she would tell stupid jokes just to make Wendy laugh. That was one magica

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter