PROLOGUE: The Summer Holidays

Baby, I Don't Like It
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was a nice, sunny August evening, a little bit chilly though. The sun was setting and there was a cold breeze blowing from the ocean. The sky had incredible purple, pink and orange colour with barely any clouds. It made them believe that the next day will be exactly as beautiful as that one. It was the last day of their holidays and they really didn't want it to end. They were supposed to come back to school in two days and they still weren't ready. They needed one day to take a train back home and prepare for the upcoming classes. The new school year was about to begin but they weren't excited about that at all. The two boys walked down the boardwalk, looking down at the beach. There were barely any people down there as it was getting really cold and most of the people who stayed here were families with toddlers so most of them came back to their guesthouses and hotels to put the babies to sleep. The boardwalk, on the other hand, was bustling with nightlife. Many young people, students and childless couples, were hanging in the pubs and other locals alongside the road. The two boys stopped by a fence which separated the boardwalk from the beach and they glanced at the ocean way off in the distance. Mark circled himself with his arms because the wind was freezing cold. He had goosebumps all over his arms. His friend, Donghyuck, glanced at him shortly, with an expression that could be read as 'I told you so', so Mark just smiled wryly.

"I wanted to walk down to the beach but now that I look at you I'm not so sure if you would like to do that." - said Donghyuck, the younger of the two.

He was a short 17-year-old with mahogany hair.

"We can do that, I'm fine." - replied the older boy smiling even wider but it was obvious that he was cold since he was trembling.

"All right, great." - the brown-haired one nodded and started walking in the stairs direction.

Mark quickly followed him.

"You know that your aunt is going to kill you if you'll catch a cold right before the classes would start, right?" - asked Donghyuck in a snooty tone when his friend caught up with him.

"I told you that I'm fine." - replied the older one harshly.

After that, they fell silent for a little while. They were engulfed by awkwardness without any particular reason. Maybe he replied a bit too harshly?

"I miss my country." - said Mark out of the blue as they were walking down the stairs.

Donghyuck stopped suddenly and he scanned him slowly.

"Does this..." - he said gesturing to the water - "...remind you of Canada? Isn't it very cold there?"

The foreigner rolled his eyes. He was trying to explain this at least 100 times already.

"Well, Vancouver is located on the Pacific coast. So this landscape kinda does remind me of my city. And it's not that cold there. It's not like we have moose roaming the streets. At least not in Vancouver." - he said slowly, hoping that his dumb friend will get it finally but before he even stopped talking Donghyuck was already distracted by the sand that got into his shoes.

"." - he swore - "On one hand I love spending time on a beach and summer holidays and all of this but at the same time I hate this ing SAND." - he added dramatically.

"Mhm." - Mark nodded eagerly but in fact, he wasn't even listening - "Hey, maybe let's sit somewhere and watch the sunset before it gets dark and my aunt murders us." - he proposed.

The older boy was living with his aunt and her son in Korea while his parents stayed in Canada. Both his parents were of Korean descent and they had sent their son to their parent's homeland because they believed that schools were better there. He had been living here for 2 years already but he still was often homesick. Maybe it just wasn't easy for him to adapt. The two boys decided to sit down on a huge sand bump, probably a reminiscence of a child's sandcastle. Donghyuck took his hoodie off and they sat on it. As they did so Mark shivered again and the younger boy glanced a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter