Chapter 5

Warrior Fairy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joo-Hyuk went back to the palace with a heavy heart as he locked himself in his room trying to calm down. There were just too many things going on through his mind, even though he found another resolution with Sung-Kyung’s request besides avenging for his brother. Making him all the more determined to ensure that the truth shall be revealed and justice could be served accordingly. He began by recalling all the moments he had spent with his older brother hoping to find clues that would lead him to an answer. He went back to the library again to search for books that his brother has read and talked about but no clues were found between the pages. He then went to the chamber that his brother used to sleep in. It was abandoned after his death and was left barren as dust covered every part of it. However, there was a folding screen which still stands in the middle of the room and Joo-Hyuk walked towards it before dusting it off, admiring the pictures that were painted on it as he recalled how skilled of a painter his brother was. He was looking at each one of the painted picture and he was reminded of happier times upon looking at a picture of a tree house that his brother had built for him when he was very young, since the between him and his brother was quite significant. It suddenly dawned on him to search for that tree house again for further clues.

 

Meanwhile, Jae-Joong was worried about Sung-Kyung’s condition.

“Do you want to talk? You’ve been keeping quiet ever since you came back alone from meeting Joo-Hyuk.”

“Just give me some time to be alone Oppa…”

“It is not healthy for you to bottle up your feelings the way you are doing now Sung-Kyung…”

“Oppa~ I know I am doing the right thing… I know it is something I must do… But why does it hurt me so much?” as tears began to well up in her eyes.

“Aigoo… My dear donsaeng… It’s because you’re in love… That’s why…” before he gave her a hug while patting her back, who by now was crying her heart out.

 

Back at the palace’s compound, Joo-Hyuk was still searching for the tree house, which he had not visited for the longest time because he could not face his guilt head on and was feeling confused about his role and purpose. After a long search into the wilderness part of the palace, he finally found the familiar shelter and began his climb without hesitation. It immediately brought him back to the past as he reminisce the laughter and the smiles that would fill the tree house. It was a place that he would go to if he were reprimanded for misbehaviour and his brother would come bringing his favorite snack to appease him while advising him about his misdeeds. It was also a place where his brother would share his love for books and paintings with the young Joo-Hyuk. Cobwebs were covering at each corners of the tree house, evidence of how long it was left untouched. He began looking around before setting his eyes on a wooden chest and opening it to look at its contents. There it was his brother’s favorite book and placed underneath it was his diary too. He flipped to the first page as he began reading it. He could not help himself but to feel sentimental as his brother jots down his feelings or favorite sayings from books he had read. As the pages progress, the tone of his brother’s writings had changed too as he wrote his concerns over the state of the ruling government and his worries that it will turned into an unjust one driven by greed for power and wealth. However, in the midst of all his concerns, there were a couple of entries, which became apparent to Joo-Hyuk that it was highlighting towards one person, the subject on the second prince. There was a detailed entry explaining how much the attitude of the second prince has changed and that there might be a clash that could not be avoided should all discussion between the both of them failed. Joo-Hyuk began recalling the timeline of the events in the lead up to the uprising that had happened to the best of his ability. A topic that he could not even think about before due to the trauma he was suffering from.

 

*The appointment of key positions in the ruling government! There must be something about that since it was done almost immediately after Hyung's death...

 

Joo-Hyuk searched for more clues within the chest and instead of finding more clues, he found a drawing of a bird that his brother had painted for him, on a small parchment of paper. He recalled to the point of time when he was hanging out with his brother in the tree house. He had asked Joo-Hyuk what he wanted to be when he grows up and a bird was the given answer. He was smiling to himself before turning the paper over only to find out that there was a message written for him.

 

To my dearest donsaeng, Joo-Hyuk-ie

 

It's been quite some time ever since we hung out together in this tree house. I guess since you've grown up well to be a great young man and a prince, you no longer need a place like this to help you smile. This very picture was something that made you smile because do you remember, back then when I asked you what you wanted to be, you told me without a hint of hesitation, you wanted to be a bird. I admit when I first heard that, I laughed at how ridiculous it sounded… Why would a man wants to be a bird? But now more than ever, I realized just how significant it was for a person to be as free as a bird can, and not living under the protection of people that have their own agenda, who has not the tiniest of intention to prosper together as one in harmony. I know just how much you love Ahboeji… But being a leader, who is not able to see what is really going on, and relying only on the words of his supposedly trusted ministers, has put me in a difficult position as I struggle to discern from right and wrong. Every time I go out of the palace, all I see are our people suffering… Not for the country or themselves but for us… Our greed… Seeing my beloved mentor being subjected to unnecessary wars just to display our mighty prowess can never justify the number of lives lost. Families are broken apart for no good reason. I simply cannot continue living in the manner that I am currently in while my eyes witnessed an ongoing injustice. I know you’ll be disappointed in me for doing what I am about to do, because we are after all a family. Our late mother must resent me for thinking about hurting my own family since she was the most gentle person I've known. But the fact remains... That the only way for me to solve this: is to break apart my own. But I hope you’ll understand my intention... Because I just want the best for everyone and most importantly, I want to see you be able to live the life that you want to… I love you my little brother…

 

The letter tugged Joo-Hyuk’s heartstrings in a manner that was indescribable. He was crying his heart out upon reading the sincere words that his brother had written just before the uprising, stating his ultimate decision.

 

Sung-Kyung who had been feeling down of late was sitting by the stream to get some fresh air after cooping up in the room for days. Somehow, her instincts told her that there would be a repeat of what had happened in the past after recalling Joo-Hyuk’s behavior from her very own observation as she rushed back to her home with much urgency.

“Oppa~ Jae-Joong Oppa~”

“Neh… What’s wrong Sung-Kyung? Calm down…”

“I think Joo-Hyuk Oppa needs help…”

“What are you saying?”

“I don’t know why, but I got a bad feeling that what happened twelve years ago will erupt again… Because remember how you told me that you and your men were sent away in a hurry to the borders and only Ahboeji remained? And just a few days later the uprising occurred? Basically the first prince’s alliance were not available and now Ji Soo Oppa… The only person that Joo-Hyuk Oppa trusted is currently stationed at the northern border…” as Sung-Kyung spoke almost incoherently due to her anxiety.

Jae-Joong could not help but to give what Sung-Kyung said a thought before he uttered,

“Someone needs to get to Ji Soo…”

“I’ll go Oppa~”

“You sure?”

“There’s no time to waste…”

 

She disguised herself for one last time, bidding Jae-Joong farewell before she got on her horse and rode on without stopping. It took her two days to get to the place where the army had stationed themselves, and as soon as she reached,

“Is Colonel Ji Soo around?” asked Sung-Kyung with a couple of the foot soldiers recognized her as being their colonel’s friend, before bringing her to his location. Ji Soo was surprised to see her,

“Huh? What are you doing here?”

“I need to have a talk with you…”

“What is it about?”

“Is there somewhere private that we can talk?”

Ji Soo led her to his own tent and offered her water.

“So… Speak…”

“Ji Soo Oppa~ I know that I am being brazen by asking you this but…” as she hesitated for a moment. However, knowing there was no other way to go about with the current situation, she took a deep breath before she stated, “Joo-Hyuk Oppa needs your help…”

“Joo-Hyuk? You called who?”

“Yes… I now know that Joon Hyung is Joo-Hyuk Oppa… I know who he is too…”

Ji Soo scoffed, “You came all the way here to tell me that? And you are even calling him Oppa now? I guess there must be some progress between the two of you uh?”

“This is not the time to talk about us Oppa~ There are more urgent matters to take care of…”

“I guess your love for him is an urgent matter for you to be riding all the way here…”

“Oppa~ Please… I am sorry… I know no matter how many times I say sorry, it is not enough for breaking your heart… But Joo-Hyuk Oppa is your friend… You are someone he trusted…”

“Trust?! You must be kidding me… If he had trusted me, I wouldn’t have to hear what he did from someone else!”

“What did he do for you to be all angry? I am the one who hurt you… Not him…”

“Do you even know what he did to the first prince?”

Sung-Kyung did not reply and merely looked into Ji Soo’s eyes, and upon seeing her reaction,

“You knew about what happened and you are okay with it?!”

“He didn’t mean to do what he did to his own brother…”

“Are you being serious at this moment? You may be blunt and careless but you are not one to judge a person wrongly.”

“Ji Soo Oppa~ He has suffered enough from his trauma… That he refused to even hold the sword for a long time… And I am not going to put him down further by thinking that he would do something as heinous as mudering his own kin purposefully…”

“I can’t believe you are saying these things…”

“No one…" as she took a deep breath due to her rising anger before continuing, "No one sane would want to inflict pain to one’s flesh and blood! Do you honestly think he is such a person?”

“There’s no denying the fact that he did what he did and he didn’t even tell me… Even though I am his friend!”

“If you were him, would you be able to share the story? He felt so guilty and was constantly fighting against his own feelings and thoughts… How could he even say it with his own mouth easily? And who have you been listening to for you to change your mind about Joo-Hyuk Oppa?”

“Never you mind… He only cares about himself… So why should I help him when I am under the King’s order?”

“Oppa~ doesn’t his trust in you all the years that you have known him tells you how much he appreciates you? Has he never cared for you ever? Think about it Oppa…”

Ji Soo fell silent but his no-reply was not an assuring sign for Sung-Kyung’s worries, “Look Oppa~ you can think whatever you like… But just to let you know… I am on Joo-Hyuk Oppa’s side… I will be there to help him. I’ll leave it to you to decide… But just don’t regret your decision later… And one more thing Oppa, if you told me before that Joo-Hyuk Oppa isn’t who I think he is… Then you have no idea about who I am either…”

Sung-Kyung left the tent and rode her horse back all the way to her home. Jae-Joong was waiting for her as she reached very early in the day,

“So what did Ji Soo say?”

Sung-Kyung simply replied with a wryly smile.

“He said no?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter