Chapter 4

Warrior Fairy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sung-Kyung who went into the house earlier, was in fact preparing some snacks for them from the stash that she had kept inside but was left clueless when he noticed that Ji Soo was the only one left outside,

“Oppa~ where did Joon Hyung go?”

“I’m not sure…”

“How can you not be sure when you were with him earlier on?”

“I’m not here to keep track of his whereabouts…”

“I’m not asking you to do that either…”

“By the way… How did you get so close to him? Since when did you learn how to lie? We were supposed to have lunch together but you left. So you lied to me just to be here with him?”

“Why does it matter to you Oppa?”

“It matters alright? It matters to me!”

“Ji Soo Oppa~ please do not bother yourself about me and Joon Hyung… I will take care of him myself because I am forever grateful to him…”

“Take care of him? I am not sure if you are totally blind or pretending to be blind about my feelings for you…”

“What are you saying Oppa?”

“After all these years… Can’t you tell how I feel for you? Why would I even bother to help you hide this stupid secret of yours, disguising as a man, if you mean nothing to me? And now, all of a sudden you have allowed another person to come into your life this easily…”

Sung-Kyung fell silent and no reply came, a despondent Ji Soo walked away as it was too much for him to bear, because her silence was more deafening than an answer would. She had in fact caught sight of Joo-Hyuk passing by as she was helping with packing the weapons before lunch was served, which led her to follow him out of curiosity though she had informed Ji Soo that she needed to go to the loo.

 

Ji Soo was in an angry state walking towards his quarters when the second prince approached him,

“Ji Soo…”

“Neh… Wangja-nim…”

“You’re not hanging out much with the third prince anymore?”

“Well… I’m not sure if he even need me around anymore…”

“Oh really? By the way, do you think we can have a talk?”

“What is it about Wangja-nim?”

“You and me are going to have a good talk about your future in the army…”

 

And so the second prince had set in motion yet another plan with the help of his mother’s influence, just like they had done before, as he brought Ji Soo to his study room.

“So Ji Soo as I was saying earlier… I see a lot of potential in you… That being just a mere low-ranking Colonel is not suitable for someone of your caliber.”

“You speak too highly of me…”

“You are indeed that great of a man… I guess Joo-Hyuk doesn’t even tell you that…”

“Well… He doesn’t talk to me about things like this…”

“I guess because he wanted to be the recognized one among all… He had always like all the attention to go to him...”

“I am sorry Wangja-nim but I don’t think he is that type of a man.”

“Think about it Ji Soo… He behaved in a manner where he forced people to focus on him with his childish tantrums... He pretended not to care about what is going on in the palace but kept on coming back here, and do as he please. I have always been nice to him but he just refused to even recognize me as his brother. I mean have you ever seen me being mean to him?”

Even before Ji Soo could reply, the second prince cut him short, “You have not isn’t it? And even after being friends with you for quite some time, he still does not realize that you are a gem among all of the other soldiers or is it that he simply does not wish to give you the recognition you deserve. Because even I am able to tell just how good you are… He clearly knows he has great influence on the decisions that could help you advance just based on your merits alone but refuse to use it… You don’t have to believe everything that I say… But just give it a thought will you?”

“What is your purpose of telling me all this?”

“Nothing… I am just saying this out of concern for you… I thought you deserve more than what you have now… You can give your parents a better life than what they are having now… You moved to the city because you and your parents wanted a better future isn’t it? Furthermore, don’t you think it is weird for a prince who, in the records says is highly skilled in cavalry and swordsmanship to disappear every time there’s a battle?”

Ji Soo was deep in thoughts as he heard the words the second prince were uttering rather convincingly and being a skilled manipulator that the second prince is, he continued to assert his thoughts on Ji Soo,

“I supposed you don’t know the reason as to why he is behaving in the manner that he does?”

“He never told me about it… Saying it is none of my concern.”

“How dare he treat a good friend like you in the way he did? A concerned friend and yet he gave you the cold shoulder? I guess no matter how much he seemed to trust you on the surface; it doesn’t seem to show in his actions… Always leaving you to answer for his mistakes when he goes missing… Although he knew that you had just adapted to your life in the palace… Or is it because he doesn’t want you to know that he actually killed the first prince with his own sword. I mean… If he can kill his own brother… He can do anything…Right?”

The second prince was enjoying the reaction that he was getting from Ji Soo and he knew his words had made an impact on his thought process.

“I shall make a move first Wangja-nim…”

“Sure… But do give it a thought, Ji Soo. It’s an opportunity of a lifetime... Because I am sincerely concern about your well-being. I simply refused to allow you to be mistreated just because your good friend does not want to acknowledge you…”

 

Ever since the talk in the study, Ji Soo gradually began to isolate himself from Joo-Hyuk and focused on being an excellent contributor to the army. His desire to achieve better after going through all the hardship as a young child due to the fact that his parents were poor, was greatly ignited after being told that he could achieve whatever he had dream of if he pledges his allegiance to the second prince – who seemed to show a greater concern for him and his family. It did not help the situation when Sung-Kyung stayed away from him too since he made the confession and was seen instead, hanging out with Joo-Hyuk multiple times. However, one night, while Sung-Kyung was doing her laundry for the day, Ji Soo came by for a visit.

 

“Bok Joo ya~”

“Orh~ Oppa… What are you doing here at this time?”

“Do you really hate me so much that you’ve been staying away from me?”

“I don’t hate you Oppa…”

“Then? Why are you doing this to me?”

“I don’t know why… It’s just that I don’t know what to say or do after what happened that night… I did not want you to have the wrong idea any longer…”

“So you have made your decision uh… And I do not stand a chance at all?”

Sung-Kyung fell silent yet again. Though it is hard for her to see a teary-eyed Ji Soo, she did not want to lead him on.

She took a deep breath before finally expressing her apology, “I’m sorry Oppa~ You are a good man... And you are definitely kind... Any lady would be lucky to have you... But that lady isn't me... I am sorry I can’t accept your feelings for me…”

“Because you have fell for that guy named Joon Hyung?”

Sung-Kyung was shocked to hear that even though what Ji Soo had said was true, before he warned her, “That Joon Hyung guy isn’t who you think he is…”

“What do you mean by that?” came a hurried query from Sung-Kyung but Ji Soo simply walked away disappointed without looking back.

 

A couple hours had passed and Joo-Hyuk who had already made plans with Sung-Kyung to pay her brother a visit, arrived at their usual meeting point.

“Bok Joo ya~ Let’s go…”

“Oh~ Arasso…”

Sung-Kyung was exceptionally quiet that night unlike her usual self who is full of teasing. They were walking on the usual path that would lead to her home. As they were walking, a concerned Joo-Hyuk came to realize that something was off that night,

“Are you okay, Bok Joo?”

“Neh… Why?”

“Nothing… I just find it weird that you are not as bubbly as you always had been…”

“Oh really?”

“Do you have something on your mind that you are not telling me about?”

“No it’s nothing… I’m fine… Maybe I am just tired…”

“If you are tired than you could have told me… So we can go tomorrow night or something… Or I could have even gone on my own just to check on him…”

“He is my brother after all… And I miss him… Plus, you went on your own the other day too…”

As they were talking, unknowingly, their path was intercepted and they were surrounded.

“What’s going on?”

*They aren’t the royal palace guards from the other day… as Sung-Kyung thought to herself before drawing her sword.

“You should surrender yourself, while we are being nice… You are currently outnumbered. It’s not advisable for you to go up against us…”

However, Sung-Kyung refused to back down. Though she does not know exactly what was unfolding before her, her initial instinct was to simply guard both herself and Joo-Hyuk.

“I’m not afraid of you… Far from it…” claimed Sung-Kyung with much confidence.

And so the fight began at her first charge. She went against a few of them at a time while ensuring that she encircled Joo-Hyuk for his safety. But no matter how well she fought, she got cuts from the blade of sword and staggered to Joo-Hyuk who caught her and steadied her back to her feet. But this time, looking at her writhing in pain caused a sudden change within Joo-Hyuk. Flashes of the time when he could not save his own brother then and also to the very first time he almost failed to save Sung-Kyung’s life ignited his own anger at his failure before he laid her on the ground and grabbed the sword from her hand and began to retaliate.

“You men must be mad for doing this… In front of me…” as he began wielding the sword in his hand with precision and accuracy.

He managed to overpower at least nine of them but was taken down by a surprise attack from the back, which knocked him out to the ground.

When Joo-Hyuk had finally come to, he found himself resting in his own room in the palace. His head was still hurting but got worried about Sung-Kyung when he recalled what had happened last night. Without much thought, he stepped out of his room only to be stopped by one of the palace’s aide.

“Let me go… What are you doing?”

“We have received orders to not allow you to step out of the compound…”

“Don’t you know who I am?”

“Orders from the King…”

“What?! Then let me see him…”

“You should rest…”

“What is going on?!”

“Sorry Wangja-nim… We are just following orders…”

Out of frustration, he shut the doors to his room and began to think of ways to escape in order to find out about Sung-Kyung. The first name that came to his mind was Ji Soo. He had sent for one of the messenger to call in his friend to his chamber but the reply he got after the messenger came back was disappointing.

“Wangja-nim, Ji Soo is currently out of the palace.”

“Where could he have gone to?”

“The army are currently moving towards the northern border and will be stationed there for a while.”

“Are we at war again?”

“I am not sure about that…”

 

*Why would they be sent there if there were nothing going on?

 

“Under whose order? The King?”

“I was not told Wangja-nim…”

“Arasso… Then I’ll ask Ahboeji myself…”

He put on his robe and stepped out of his room once again but the guard shot him a look,

“What? I can’t even meet my own father now? If you don’t trust me then you may follow me too…” said Joo-Hyuk before he was let through.

Joo-Hyuk entered the meeting hall where his father was sitting with other fellow ministers.

“Jeonha…”

“What are you doing here?”

“I have a question that I needed to ask of you…”

“I am in a meeting right now, any personal questions shall be left for later…”

“Fine… Then I’ll sit in for the meeting too…”

“What?”

“Since the second prince can do so… Why can’t I?” said Joo-Hyuk as he took a seat without caring the stares that he was receiving especially from the second prince himself. When the meeting finally ended, Joo-Hyuk was left with more questions than answers. The ministers were all dismissed and only the King and the two princes were present.

“So what is the question that you wanted to ask about…?”

“Before that Ahboeji… Why is there a need to expand the territory? Unnecessary lives will be lost because of that… Is that the reason why you sent the army there?”

“Expanding the territory will only bring more wealth for the country…” as the second prince chimed in.

“Is that an enough reason to risk the lives of our soldiers? We had just went into a huge war not too long ago and there were too many casualties.”

“We should strike while the iron is hot… The enemy is forever eyeing our land… We should advance while they are still weak… And just get to what you wanted to say instead of worrying yourself over matters that you have never taken interest in… When Ahboeji is already not feeling well…” continued the second prince.

“What happened yesterday… Was it your doing?” with Joo-Hyuk staring at the prince with much anger.

“My doing? You shouldn’t be saying that it was my doing… I consulted Ahboeji and he thinks that it is for the best after we found out that there was a traitor within our own army…”

“Traitor?! What do you mean traitor?!”

“How can a girl disguise herself to be a part of the army and killed royal palace guards?”

Joo-Hyuk turned pale upon hearing the revelation.

“Thanks to your good friend that we managed to find the traitor who had killed the palace guards…” stated the manipulative prince with a smirk on his face since he was the one to put a tail on Joo-Hyuk after he saw Ji Soo's reaction during their private conversation and bribing the guard who managed to escape death at the hands of Sung-Kyung.

The second prince’s claims were too much for Joo-Hyuk to bear at that point of time as he blurt out, “Where is she?! Tell me where is she?!”

“What business do you have with a traitor like her?!” screamed the King, “You are a prince! My son! How can I have you be involved with a traitor?!”

“She is not a traitor! She never is and never was a traitor!”

Joo-Hyuk was in rage as he gave his ultimatum, “You are not to lay your hands on her, I swear I will destroy the palace with my own hands, if anything happens to her…”

He immediately went to dungeon of the palace after hearing what the second prince had said earlier to look for Sung-Kyung but she was nowhere to be seen.

 

*Where could they have kept her?

 

He was pacing around when the same trusted aide that had spoke to him about his father’s intention of making him the successor approached him.

“What do you want?”

“I am here to help you…”

“Can you even be trusted?” as Joo-Hyuk scoffed at the offer.

“You have no other choice but to trust me if you want to see her.”

“You know where she is? Is she safe?”

“She is…”

“Then show me the way…”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter