Road Trip pt. 1

All Night

“What is that?”

It looked like a very old, very beat up trailer. However, Minseok couldn’t be sure because he had never seen something so… useless. The smile on Lu Han’s face, on the other hand, suggested he had just won the lottery.

“This is the baby that will take us around the country this summer,” he announced proudly. Next to him, Yifan looked over the wannabe trailer with disgust and a little fright while Yixing simple gazed on with dazed eyes; clearly he was high out of his mind. Sometimes Minseok would wish Yixing would stay clean for an entire day, knowing drugs would bite him in the one day.

“We’re in spring,” Minseok deadpanned. The smile on Lu Han’s face grew a little impatient but his eyes didn’t stop glinting even as he rolled them as hard as he could.

“Yes, I’m aware of that, Kim,” he said.

“Then what the , Lu?”

“Well, clearly she needs some maintenance,” Lu Han explained, “Chanyeol is gonna help me get her in prime conditions before the end of the school year and then we hit the road.”

“All of us?” Yifan asked with his eyebrows furrowed in confusion, “I don’t think this can hold twelve boys.”

“Of course not,” there went Lu Han’s eyes again, “Jongdae’s dad owns a trailer too and he’s gonna let us borrow it. That’s six in one six in the other, easy as pie.”

“Ever wondered where that phrase comes from?” Yixing giggled, “Pie isn’t easy to bake. I’m hungry, how about we buy some pie?” They ignored him.

Yifan didn’t seem too convinced but didn’t push it, knowing better than to argue with Lu Han when he was this pumped up about something. Minseok wasn’t so wise.

“And how exactly are you gonna afford to fix this?”

“Chanyeol’s dad owns a workshop, you know that,” Lu Han smiled, “He offered us a discount in tools and equipment as long as he gets some hours working the counter from me.”

“And you’re sure you can get her ready by the end of the school year?”

“Positive,” Lu Han beamed, “Chanyeol and I are gonna be working practically every day.”

“Alright, then,” Minseok nodded, “Let’s see how it goes.”

-

True to his words, Lu Han and Chanyeol spent their afternoons repairing the car, doing mechanic things Minseok couldn’t possibly understand. What Lu Han failed to mention was that they would park the trailer in front of Minseok’s house.

“Lu Han, you can’t leave that piece of outside my house,” Minseok hissed at him the first day. Lu Han then did the only thing he knew would work on Minseok: he pouted.

“Oh come on, Minnie,” he whined, “Your neighbourhood is so much better than mine, I can’t park it at home; it could be gone in an hour! Besides, Chanyeol lives in an apartment, he has no space.”

Minseok sighed loudly, looking at the trailer and then back to his friend’s face. “Fine, but keep it in the garage.”

Lu Han cheered while Chanyeol pushed the trailer into the open garage. Minseok’s dad wasn’t too happy about it, but his mom was more than delighted at having those two around; she thought Lu Han was charming and was convinced Chanyeol was the cutest thing on earth. Oh, she was so wrong.

Minseok spent most his afternoons sitting on a chair in the garage, drinking whatever his mom came up with that day and handing them tools. Sometimes Baekhyun would swing by to grossly make out with Chanyeol for a few minutes and then leave, much to Minseok’s chagrin. At first, Minseok had wondered why Baekhyun had whatever he had with Chanyeol if he knew the taller boy liked to sleep around with anyone that moved, but when he realized Baekhyun was in it for the he stopped worrying as much. Besides, Baekhyun knew better than to let feelings get in the way. During one of his visits he announced louder than needed he was throwing a party that weekend.

“Is Stephanie gonna be there?” Chanyeol asked from underneath the trailer.

“How am I supposed to know?” Baekhyun replied.

“Dude, it’s your party,” Chanyeol laughed, “How do you not know whose going?”

“I literally shouted I was having a party in the middle of the cafeteria,” Baekhyun shrugged, “Whoever heard will go. Why do you wanna know anyway?”

“I don’t feel like seeing her,” Chanyeol answered, “Bad breakup, you know?”

Lu Han nearly dropped the tray full of cookies Minseok’s mom had baked. “You dated Stephanie Hwang?!”

Baekhyun giggled at the look of pure outrage in Lu Han’s face while Minseok was concerned over the security of the cookies. Chanyeol rolled out from his spot and raised an eyebrow in Lu Han’s direction. His face was covered in grease.

“Yes,” Chanyeol drawled, “What’s the problem with that?”

“I cannot believe you tapped that and didn’t tell me!”

The smirk on Chanyeol’s face must have been infuriating for Lu Han because he stomped his feet and refused to give Chanyeol any cookies.

Said party was a success for Baekhyun, but a total loss for Minseok. He was bored out of his mind the entire mind, especially after Lu Han saw an opening with Stephanie Hwang and left him alone with a beer in his hand. Minseok decided around midnight to move to Baekhyun’s room but hightailed it the hell out of there when he caught a glimpse of Baekhyun and Chanyeol going at it on the bed.

He would never be able to get the image of Chanyeol bottoming out of his mind.

-

By the time the school year came to an end, Lu Han and Chanyeol had done magic and finished fixing up the trailer. Comparing the trailer Jongdae’s dad lent them and the one Lu Han had bought, Minseok wished he could go with Jongdae. Even if Chanyeol and Lu Han did a great job at making the damn thing run, it was still old and terrifying.

The morning of their departure, they all gathered outside of Jongdae’s house. Mr. Kim seemed reluctant to give his son the keys, but did so after his wife nudged him in the ribs and nodded forward, smile plastered on her face; Mrs. Kim wasn’t very fond of any of her son’s friends.

“How are we gonna decide who goes with who?” Baekhyun asked once his duffel bag was securely slung over his shoulder.

Lu Han shrugged. “Draw sticks? Rock paper scissors?”

Minseok rolled his eyes at the childish suggestions, but joined in anyway. Chanyeol and Baekhyun drew paper, the four Chinese boys drew rock and the rest drew scissors.

“Wait,” Baekhyun made a T sign with his hands, “How do we know who wins, and what do we get if we win?”

“The winner gets to go with me,” Jongdae decided, “And how about we draw papers?”

He ran back inside and came out with a piece of paper and a pencil in his hands. “Alright, I’m gonna write two numbers in these papers. Number one is for Lu Han’s trailer, number two is for mine. Got it?”

After everyone mumbled their agreement, Jongdae tore up the paper in twelve pieces and started scribbling away. Then, he crumpled them and put them in the palm of his hand. “Alright, choose your drug kids.”

Minseok, unsurprisingly, drew a one. So did Lu Han, Yifan, Yixing, Jongdae and Zitao. It was odd, because that meant Jongdae wouldn’t be driving his own car, but Junmyeon assured him he would take good care of his trailer.

-

Their first stop was the beach. The ride there was fun, at least; Jongdae and Lu Han took turns singing hilariously off-pitch to bubbly girl group songs, then Yifan decided they needed to ‘learn real music’ and played Dreamcatcher’s Chase Me and sang along, a disturbing contrast between his deep voice and the members’.

When it was turn for Minseok to choose the music, he ignored Lu Han’s pleading look to play DBSK and instead settled for SHINee, because his shawol heart would never turn its back on them. When the first notes of Replay reached Yixing’s ears, the boy smiled languidly and opened his mouth to sing softly. By the time they arrived to the pit stop, Minseok’s back ached and he had to stretch his arms over his head to get rid of the kinks in his muscles. The other trailer pulled up behind them in a minute and Baekhyun jumped out first, shouting something about his . Not an uncommon occurrence, sadly.

“I’m hungry,” he told Lu Han, “I’m gonna go get something to eat, alright?”

“I’ll come with you,” Yifan said, slid his wallet into his jean’s back pocket and followed after Minseok. Everyone else walked inside in groups of three or four, chatted among themselves while they looked for something to entertain themselves with for the time being. Jongdae and Junmyeon, however, stayed behind to fill the trailers’ tanks. Minseok made a mental note to buy them something to eat.

“What you do you wanna get?” he asked Yifan as they stood a small way from the entrance. To their right was the food court, and to their left the shops. Baekhyun dragged an unsuspecting Yixing towards a convenience store, and Lu Han and Kyungsoo followed with matching mirth in their eyes.

“Dunno,” Yifan shrugged as he fiddled with his phone, “How about pizza?”

Pizza sounded good. Minseok led the way, looking for the pizza parlour he knew was somewhere around there. They were soon joined by Jongin and Sehun, who somehow managed to convince Yifan to pay for their meal. Poor bastard was still weak to their aegyeo. He’d learn, one day.

“One large pepperoni pizza please,” Yifan ordered, reaching into his wallet for money. Minseok offered to pay for the drinks. Once they had their pizza, they all settled down around a table and started to eat. At some point, Jongdae plopped down next to Minseok and pouted until Minseok sighed and let him have one of his slices.

-

Back on the road, Minseok was subjected to the torture that was a grumpy Lu Han. Clearly, he hadn’t been too happy about not getting to eat as much as the others (Minseok had kept his promise and got him a brownie, but the rumbling of his stomach made it very clear it wouldn’t be enough. Minseok actually felt bad for him, for a change.)

Lu Han didn’t stop whining until Yixing reached into his bag and pulled out a bag of chips. “Eat this,” he said, ing them into Lu Han’s hands without looking, “I was gonna save them for later, but you need them more than me.”

“You sound coherent,” Yifan chuckled, “You sober?”

Yixing hummed distractedly. “I left my bag of goodies back home. Don’t laugh at me, I’m miserable over here.”