Chapter 1

The Beauty Of Hydrangeas

The smell of homemade chocolate invaded five year old Wonwoo's nose. His tummy growled as he went towards the kitchen to search for the Choco chip cookies his mom made for him and his brother. “Mommy?” he called out.

 

“Yes, sweetie?” his mother replied as she continued to cook the dinner for the guests.

 

“Where did you hide my cookies?”

 

His mother laughed. “Sweetie, you can't get your cookies right now. Wait for your cousins to come too.”

 

Wonwoo frowned. “But I don't want to share my cookies with Bora, Shin and Junha. ”

 

“Honey, it's Christmas. It's the festival of sharing and caring. Now, be a good boy and help grandma and your little brother decorate the Christmas tree, okay?”

 

Wonwoo cutely pouted with his tiny plump lips and went back. I'll just hide them afterwards, he thought as he picked up the red bauble and stood up on his small toes to stick it on the tree. “Wonwoo-ya? Can you help me with these decorations?” his grandma called out.

 

“Comiiiing~”  he cooed.

 

His grandma laughed seeing his hyperactive grandson, watching the five year old bounce throughout the room before finally standing beside her. “Wonwoo is so cute~” she pet his fluffy hair and placed a red Santa hat on his tiny head. The hat was too big for Wonwoo's head so it slid down, covering his eyes. “Eyy~ I can't see anything!” he complained, wondering his hands in the air to grab onto something. His grandma laughed and thought about how happy his husband must have been right now if he was here with them. 

 

---

 

The whole family had gathered near the Christmas tree, waiting for the kids to open their presents first. Everyone was present, Wonwoo's family, his mother's brother's and his father's brother's family as well. Wonwoo didn't like to be around so many people, but his mommy said that if he didn't be a good boy, Santa won't give him any presents, so just for the sake of gifts, he didn't fuss much. He had his little brother, Bohyuk anyway, so he didn't need to be bored by his cousins. He didn't like them anyway.

 

“Look, I got a Barbie!” Bora exclaimed.

 

“Hey, me too!” Junha smiled, as she petted the hair of her plastic toy.

 

Wonwoo crossed his hands across his chest and rolled his eyes, Bohyuk copying his actions after seeing his big brother do it. Wonwoo climbed onto his mommy's lap and buried his face in her neck. “Mommy, when will I get to open my presents~” he whined quietly. His mom caressed his back and kissed the top of his head. “Bora and Junha are girls, right? They should go first. After they finish opening their presents, you, Bohyuk and Shin can open yours, okay?” 

 

Wonwoo sighed and simply chose to rest his head on his mother's shoulder, trying to block out the obnoxious noise of his cousins' laughter.

 

Finally, which seemed like a lifetime, Wonwoo's turn came to open his presents and he literally jumped out of his mommy's lap to rip open his gifts. “Where's mine, where's mine?” he excitedly searched.

 

Finally, his eyes fell upon a huge gift wrapped in blue paper, finished with a red shiny bow. “Is this mine?! It's huge!” he exclaimed, his small hands reaching out to pick up the gift which was almost as big as his tiny frame. His mother smiled in adoration as she saw his son's eyes glimmer in excitement. “Open your present, Wonwoo ya~”

 

Wonwoo nodded and put his gift down to open it. Suddenly, something strange happened. The world around him stopped, and he felt as if the time had taken a rest from it's job. The air around him seemed to freeze and it felt a bit suffocating.  His head started to tingle slightly, and the tingling sensation was followed by a light pang of pain. His mind began to go foggy, and suddenly he saw something.

 

A boy. A small boy, wearing a red ugly Christmas sweater and green pajamas, with an oversized Santa hat on his head.

 

  1. Is it me? Wonwoo wondered. He strained his mind to get a better vision, and upon getting a little clearer view, he realised that the boy definitely was him. 

 

“Open your present, Wonwoo ya~”

 

The boy nodded, before keeping his gift down opening his present. The boy gasped. “Oh my God! It's the latest Nintendo game set! Thank you mommy! Thank you daddy!” the boy in his vision ran up to his parents to give them a hug. 

 

Suddenly, his vision ended, and the time and air seemed to go back to normal. “Open your present Wonwoo ya~”

 

Wonwoo gulped and nodded. But as soon as he touched the gift paper, in a tiny voice, he asked, “Mommy? Daddy?”

 

“Yes, honey?” his dad said.

 

“Did…did you get me…Nintendo?..” he bit his lip as he glanced at his mommy. He saw how the smile on her face fell, replaced with confusion. 

 

“How..how did you know, sweetie? We.. w-we didn't tell anyone. Nor did we pack the present at home.”

 

“I..I..” Wonwoo was left speechless.

 

“Ah! I accidentally told him. Sorry about that.” his grandma exclaimed.

 

“Mom! How could you?” Mrs Jeon gasped.

 

His grandma sheepishly smiled at her, shrugging. “I'm an old woman, I forget sometimes.” 

 

“He was so excited to open his presents. Now all his fun is spoiled.” Wonwoo's mother continue, feeling really sad.

 

Wonwoo got up. “Don't worry mommy. I loved the gift.” he said, as he leaned in to hug his mommy. He sideways glanced at his grandma, questioningly staring at her. Her grandma raised her eyebrows and mouthed we'll talk about this later. Wonwoo nodded before glancing back at his mother and separating from her. “My baby is so understanding. Mom, I'm still upset about you telling him.”

 

His grandma apologisingly smiled. Wonwoo side eyed her and mouthed an I'm sorry  to her. His grandma shrugged it off and gave him a reassuring smile. 

 

---

 

The party had ended and much to Wonwoo's happiness, his snobby cousins had gone home too. 

 

“Wonwoo ya? Come with me?” his grandma asked.

 

Little Wonwoo cutely nodded, before following his grandma to her room. His grandma closed the door behind her and locked the room. She motioned Wonwoo to sit in front of her and took his small, chubby hands in her own wrinkled ones.

 

“Now tell me, Wonwoo. What did you see when before you opened her presents?”

 

Wonwoo looked down and bit his lip. He feared his grandma won't believe him if he told her the truth. “Wonwoo? Tell me, I promise I won't tell anyone.”

 

“I…I-I saw a movie in my head.”

 

“A movie? You must be talking about a vision.”

 

“What's a vision?”

 

His grandma smiled. “It's like a movie that plays in your head. You feel like you're watching a film in your brain. Now Wonwoo, tell me, what did you see in your vision?”

 

“It's kind of hard to explain, grandma. I…I was going to open my present, then something strange happened and my head started to pain and…and then.. I saw the thing.. it was a boy and he looked like me, and he was opening the same present that was in my hands, and in the present he was a Nintendo. Then everything came back to normal, and then I asked mommy if she bought me a Nintendo.” 

 

“Oh, Wonwoo.” his grandma gave him a hug, and the boy confusedly hugged her back. “Is there something wrong with me, grandma?” he asked as he looked up in her eyes, his own eyes shining with curiosity. His grandma warmly smiled. “No, my dear Wonwoo. You have a gift!” she gently said as she she lovingly ran a hand through his hair. “A very special gift. Of seeing the future.”

 

Wonwoo widened his eyes. “Does everyone not have it?”

 

His grandma shook his head. “No. Only two or three people with this ability are born every century. Your grandpa, he had the same ability. That's how he found me and we lived happily…. till he died.”

 

“Oh..”

 

“Now, Wonwoo? Promise me something.”

 

“Promise you what, grandma?”

 

“Promise me that you will never tell anyone about this. The world is a corrupted and bad place, and people can take advantage of you and hurt you. So don't tell anyone about this. Not your mommy, not your daddy, brother, friends, anybody. Okay? Promise?”

 

Wonwoo nodded, sticking out his pinky finger. “Pinky promise, grandma.”

 

His grandma smiled, her wrinkled eyes crinkling to form narrow crescents. “Okay.”

 

---

 

“Yah! Jeon Wonwoo!”

 

Seventeen year old Wonwoo turned around to see his best friend, Soonyoung calling him.

 

“What?”

 

“Tell me. Will Seokmin be more happy if I give him this locket, or will he be more happy if I give him this ring?”

 

Wonwoo sighed. “Yah…you know that you can't always depend on me for such stupid things l, right?”

 

Soonyoung whined, so Wonwoo gave in. He looked at the blue locket in his left hand and closed his eyes. The time stopped and his head started to pain slightly. The pain in comparison had reduce throughout the years, but it still left Wonwoo light headed. He knew he had promised his grandma that he won't tell anyone but who was he kidding. He was five that time. And anyways, Soonyoung is the only person who knows, and he trusts the obnoxious and noisy boy to life .

 

---

 

How the latter believed him? They both had been best friends ever since they were seven, but Soonyoung got to know about Wonwoo's ability just  a few years ago, when they both were thirteen, when the latter decided to finally tell him about his ability.

 

“That is the stupidest joke I've ever heard in my life, Jeon Wonwoo.”

 

“I'm not kidding. I can't blame you for not believing me though.”

 

“Wait. You're serious?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“…. Prove it to me then, and I'll believe you.”

 

“Okay. What do you want me to do?”

 

“You know the Seokmin guy that asked me out, right? Tell me what he'll be wearing tonight on our date.”

 

“I have to see the guy first. I can't really predict someone's future without seeing them.”

 

The next thing Wonwoo knew was that he was getting dragged by Soonyoung to the basketball court of their school. “That tall guy with those really nice thighs? That's him.”

 

“Evereyone of them is tall and have nice thighs.”

 

Soonyoung rolled his eyes. “Jersey 17.”

 

“Oh okay.” Wonwoo closed his eyes, and again, the time stopped and his head started to pain. But he saw the vision anyway. He opened his eyes, his legs feeling weak as he felt light headed. “Hey Wonwoo? You okay? You seem tired.”

 

Wonwoo shook his head. “He was just a bit far in distance so I had to concentrate more.”

 

“Anyways, what did you see?”

 

“Blue shirt. He'll wear a blue polo shirt with ripped jeans.”

 

Soonyoung narrowed his eyes. “What if he doesn't?”

 

“Not happening. He definitely will.”

 

“We'll see.”

 

That night Soonyoung came at his house, crying and telling him that he's sorry he didn't believe him and that he's lucky to have a special friend like him whom he can count on. Wonwoo was mainly confused why he was crying but shrugged it off, happy that Soonyoung believed him after all.

 

---

 

After his vision ended, he rubbed his temples with his fingers, trying to get the pain to go away.

 

“And…?” Soonyoung coaxed.

 

“The ring. Give him the ring.” Wonwoo smiled. “He'll like it more.”

 

Soonyoung clapped and hugged Wonwoo before bouncing to the other side of the room to wrap the ring in the small velvety box. “I'm so bored~” Wonwoo whined. “You both have been dating for so long, and I'm here being single. I hope I don't die alone.”

 

“You won't, you idiot. You'll probably find someone to cope up with your whiny some day.”

 

Wonwoo pouted, mumbling a ‘that was rude’, before packing up his bag for school.

 

---

 

“Hey, losers!” Minghao shouted as he saw Wonwoo, Soonyoung, Seokmin, Junhui come towards the table he reserved for them in the cafeteria. “Hey, boyfriend.” Junhui smiled as he leaned in to kiss Minghao.

 

“Get a room. ” Soonyoung snorted, but instantly blushed when he saw Seokmin sneakily wink at him. Wonwoo just looked down. He was happy for his friends, he really was, but seriously, being the fifth wheel in your circle of friends really . It was even worse than being the third wheel. 

 

“Hey, it's them! They're coming!” a girl shrieked. Wonwoo and his group of friends turned their neck to see what all the commotion was about. Then he understood what was happening, when he saw a group of students walking towards the cafeteria. The 'them' the girl was referring were none of the than the most popular kids in the highschool. The oldest, Choi Seungcheol, his boyfriend Lee Jihoon, Hong Joshua, his boyfriend Yoon Jeonghan, and Kim Mingyu. He wondered if Mingyu ever felt lonely like him, being the fifth wheel too. Probably not, as Mingyu always had his eyes on a book to keep him company.

 

'Doesn't he feel tired reading books all the time?' Wonwoo wondered. Because he, was not a book person at all, that's for sure.

 

He watched as all the crowd of people of students made way for them to walk, as Seungcheol's gang walked by. They finally decided to settle beside the table on which Wonwoo and his friends were sitting on. Minghao, being the sassy diva he is, obviously ignored them. Junhui ignored them too, but mostly because he was clueless and he wanted to eat food.

 

Now that Wonwoo tries to remember, he never really tried to read his future with Mingyu.  He tended to read his future with people he met, but he never really did it with Mingyu. Maybe becausehe never really directly talked or had any acquaintance with Mingyu before, or maybe he just thought that there is no way Mingyu and him will have any relation with each other, as he, on one side was just an average student and Mingyu, on the other side, was really popular. He was maybe even more popular than Seungcheol, as girls and boys often tended to attract themselves more to the younger male. Maybe Mingyu's really dark and mysterious persona piqued their interest.

 

He watched as Mingyu crossed his legs and took out a book from his bag. He squinted his eyes to see “The Book Theif” written on it's cover. So he's into classics, I see, Wonwoo thought.

 

He noticed how charming Mingyu's tanned skin looked under the soft glow of the sunlight, and his brown hair seemed to shimmer pleasantly in the–oh oh, he looked at Mingyu for way too long. The vision started. The time stopped and his head began to pain lightly.

 

Him...

 

Mingyu…

 

Happiness...

 

His vision ended when he felt someone shake it. “Earth to Wonwoo?” Soonyoung waved his hand in front of his eyes. “Are you okay?”

 

But too many things were invading his mind right now. If what he saw in his vision, was true, then..was Mingyu really his soulmate? Kim Mingyu? He suddenly felt really giddy and happy. He finally found someone who can love him, and whom he can give his love to. He quickly got up from his seat, much to his friends' confusion and surprise. 

 

“Hi!” he cheerfully greeted Mingyu.

 

The latter looked up from his book to see Wonwoo hovering over him. He was quite annoying, as the male that came to him was blocking his sunlight and he couldn't read. Maybe if I say hello to him, he'll go.

 

“Hello.”

 

Wonwoo smiled. Great, they're off to a good start. 

 

“Can we be friends?”

 

Mingyu confusedly looked up at him. They didn't even know each other, heck he didn't even know the guy's name. 

 

“Why?”

 

Wonwoo smiled. “Because we're soulmates!”

 

Wonwoo expected a smile in return. Or even a glance. A punch in the face was definitely not what he expected.