Part 4

The Best Things Can't be Arranged

The next morning, Hyungwon awakens with a sigh. He looks around confusedly, unsure for a moment of where he is. But then, he remembers the events of the previous day. He rubs at his eyes, wondering where his new husband could be. The other side of the bed seems to have been left undisturbed throughout the night. Where could he have slept? Why didn’t he sleep in the bed?

Well, he was most likely trying to seem considerate, Hyungwon realizes, although he can’t help but feel guilty for automatically being given the bed.

He sits there for a while, unsure really of what to do with himself. He finds himself wanting to make up to Hoseok for making dinner last night by making them breakfast this morning, though he has no idea how he should go about doing so. He then sighs at himself, getting up to use the restroom. He could just make some eggs, for crying out loud. Surely that wouldn’t be too difficult, even for him.

 

Hoseok awakens with a start, although he doesn’t know why. He breathes in deeply as he stretches himself out, a crook forming in his neck from sleeping on a couch instead of a bed. A smell suddenly enters his nostrils, and he finds himself instinctively sitting up. He looks over in the direction of the kitchen confusedly, knowing it couldn’t be Hyungwon in there. He had said last night that he didn’t cook. He stands, curiosity washing away all remaining grogginess from awakening.

He pauses in the doorframe of the kitchen, leaning against the wall. A smile comes to him upon seeing Hyungwon staring intently at a skillet of cooking eggs.

“I thought you said you didn’t cook?” Hoseok asks, unable to keep the amused tone out of his voice.

“I just wanted to return the favor from last night,” Hyungwon mumbles in a low voice, barely audible from such a distance. Hoseok hums, entering the room. He watches over the younger’s shoulder, humming in appreciation at the sight of the food. He moves to gather the necessary dishes and utensils, hoping to be helpful. “Hyung, I’m trying to thank you,” Hyungwon tells him, smirking at his actions. “If you help me again, then it’ll start a vicious cycle that I’d rather not have happen.” Hoseok chuckles, stepping away from the younger.

“Alright,” he concedes, “have it your way.” He then goes to sit at the table, sitting where he can watch the other work.

Hyungwon can feel the older’s unwavering gaze on him, but he doesn’t react to it. He merely finishes up what he’s doing and brings it to the table, ignoring the stare. He has no idea how he should feel about being stared at by a complete stranger who happens to be your husband. He supposes it’s normal for newlyweds to stare at each other, but they aren’t normal newlyweds, so does that still apply?

 

“So what’re you thinking of doing today?” Hoseok asks as he chews the eggs. After their endless talking the night before, he feels much more comfortable conversing with the younger. Hyungwon shrugs.

“I don’t really know,” he answers. “If I knew where we are, I’d be able to decide. But, we weren’t told a specific location, so I have to be a bit spontaneous.”

“Want to go exploring?” Hoseok offers. “It’d be a great way to figure out something to do, and along the way we could continue to get to know each other.” Hyungwon hums thoughtfully, causing the older’s eyes to flicker nervously. Hyungwon can’t help but be amused by this, loving how open he is with his feelings.

“Sure, hyung,” Hyungwon answers. “That sounds nice. I’ll go get ready after cleaning up.”

“I’ll clean up,” Hoseok insists. Hyungwon begins to protest, but Hoseok shakes his head. “Please, let me clean up. I don’t mind. You cooked, so I’ll clean. It’s only fair.” Hyungwon pauses a moment, but then gives the older a small smile. He nods silently, and moves to leave the room. Hoseok watches him leave, thinking his walk incredibly elegant. He then shakes his head at himself, chuckling slightly at his own thoughts before turning them to the task at hand.

 

After cleaning, drying, and putting away the dishes Hoseok goes to retrieve some clothes from his bag. He then, without thinking, moves towards the bathroom. His thoughts are elsewhere at the moment, trying to think of interesting topics of conversation to use on his walk with the younger. He opens the door, his ears not registering the sound of running water.

“Hyung!” a shocked, sounding-somewhat-insulted voice shouts, shattering Hoseok’s thoughts. He glances around surprisedly, noticing the steam fogging up the bathroom. His gaze lands on the bathtub, the fogged up sliding door slightly ajar to reveal an irate-looking Hyungwon.

“S-S-S-S-S-Sorry!” Hoseok blubbers, whirling about on his heel. He turns and begins walking out the bathroom, but ends up slamming directly into the door. He groans in pain, muttering out another hasty apology before slipping out the door. His heart racing, Hoseok presses a hand to his chest. He breathes deeply, trying to get a hold of himself. He hopes the younger didn’t get the wrong idea just now. But, how could he not? God, he’s really messed things up now…

 

Hyungwon stares at the door the older had just disappeared behind, eyes so wide he feels as if his pupils are shaking. He his lips nervously, feeling as if he should be angrier than he actually is. However, as he tries to get himself to feel more indignant, all he can think of is how flustered Hoseok had looked. That lisp-filled stutter, the slight blush creeping up his ears… Hyungwon can’t help but giggle as he thinks of it.