V △

Milk & Honey

Winner & Loser

"You were something different I knew you’d be like this. That special something, different from others I knew you had it."

"Odd Eye" by SHINee

△▽△▽△▽△▽

“Ms. Hana Kim correct?”

I nodded, “Yes.” I said slowly eyeing the large art room I have only seen a few times.

“I have looked over your entrance for the winning spot in the gallery this upcoming event.” The Professor flipped through my pictures, “A literature major with a minor in photography what an odd combiniation.”

“Yes sir. It's my two passions that one day I hope to put together. Blogging or becoming a journalist. Something in that nature.”

“Where did your passion for photography begin?”

I smiled, “When I was only six. My mom loved taking pictures and the moment I got hands on the camera. I knew I wouldn't be able to stop. It’s not just a hobby, it’s a passion.” I did looked down at my hands, “I am self taught so I do apologize if some of my pictures fail in few departments of framing.”

The Professor took off his glasses and looked awe struck. “These were some of the most unique and emotional photographs I have possibly seen in 25 years of my life as a photographer.” My breathe stopped, he was lying. “Ms. Kim, Hana, I am proud to announce that you have been selected out of 100 applicants to be part of Seoul’s art Gallery.”

This isn’t happening. My hand flew to my mouth, “Are you, are you, please tell me this is not a joke?”

He laughed with joy, “Of course not. You have such an amazing talent with the camera. The committee was shocked by your portfolio.”

I stood and bowed deeply, “Thank you, thank you, you have no idea ow much I have ben dreaming of this.”

“No, thank you Hana.” The professor than handed over thick parchment. “Here are invitations to give to friends and family for the gallery I am sure they will be more than proud to go.”

I clasped them in my hand. Feeling the raised golden lettering on the invitation. “I am sure they will be, thank you again” I bowed once more before I dashed out in the hallway. Mina leaned against the wall on her phone.

“How did it go?” She asked.

My eyes became filled with tears, “Mina, I got it, I got in!”

“Omo! What!” She screamed, “You got it!” I nodded ecstatically. She clasped my hands and started jumping and I joined in. “My best friend is going to the prestigious art gallery, that’s my best friend!”

“This can’t be happening.” I said once we stopped jumping, I quickly gave her an invitation. “Here, look what they gave me, an official invite!”

“I am going to this, I will be there lined up the night before!”

Mina and I hugged tightly before we both pranced out of the art department. With big smiles and big dreams of the future.

△▽△▽△▽△▽

My smile lasted all the until my shift. After Jihee left, well more she ran out screaming to everyone how I got in. Everything seemed much lighter.

As the sun slowly set I began to prep for closing. That's when the ding from the door was heard. There stood Minho in his usual work out attire with sweatpants and today a tight black v neck. I quickly averted my eyes to not let them wander past his broad shoulders.

“Any new theories today?”

I almost dropped the mug that was in my hand. “O-Oh I forgot about that.” I gave out a small smile before I walked to the register. “The usual?” I asked him.

Minho gave his usual warm smile and nodded, “Yes please.” Once he swiped his card I began to make his drink. I eyed him once in awhile, but his gaze was set on me. “Did you worry about me yesterday?”

“Hm?” I questioned letting splash of milk hit the coffee and added one sugar. “Ah, yesterday, of course remember you are my favorite customer.”

I placed the drink in front of him. “I finally thought all that caffeine got to you.” I commented.

He scoffed taking a sip, “Not even. I just got caught with my work. I should have let you know.”

My eyes widen slightly, “No, no it was alright, I had so much to do.” I paused, “Like, cleaning, and cooking for the shop.” I pointed into the case next to me, “I make some amazing macaroons and scones if I do say so myself.”

“You cook?” He questioned peering into the case, “A girl full of wonders.”

“My Dad loved cooking so he taught me all I could know.” I cringed, “With of course lots of trial and error.”

“You have to tell me sometime of that.”

“Maybe when you finally can catch a break,” I stopped myself, “S-sorry that was too blunt.”

Minho shook his head and gazed down at the case before he reached my eyes. “Don't be sorry for the truth.” He gave out a long tired sigh, “I'll get a break soon, just few more weeks.” Suddenly his watched dinged, “And that’s my cue to get back to work.”

“Goodnight Hana.”

“Night.”

He was half way to the door when I remembered about the invite. Should I invite him? He was about to leave. Come on Hana make up your mind. Yes or no. Yes or no?! Go! “Oh wait!” I said grabbing one of the thick parchments running around the corner of the counter with an invitation in my hand.

I stumbled back a bit when I realized how close he was. Minho smiled down at me. “Here,” I handed out the invitation. “I got accepted into an art gallery for few of my photographs. I was wondering if you're...ever free, or not getting coffee at seven at night if you want to go check it out with me?”

Minho looked at the paper carefully before turning back to me. “When were you thinking?”

“The opening of the gala is Wednesday night, this upcoming week, around eight.”

He glanced down at the invite and placed it in his pocket, “I don’t think I can, I’m sorry.”

“Oh,” I said my breathe got caught in my throat, “it’s fine, you seem like a busy guy.”

“I would go, believe me, I just have a big thing to do that night.” Minho paused, “Show me the photographs here sometime. I didn’t know you were into photography.”

I blinked, “Sure, yeah, I can totally show you.”

“I have to go first, get home safely Hana.”

I waved slowly until the door shut behind him, “Yeah bye.” My hand dropped sadly to my side.

△▽△▽△▽△▽